• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

"Smoke Break" is an entitlement??

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
my mate DNAT use to smoke alot.... but he has since quit..

he now give blowjob alot.. say cannot have nothing in his mouth...:biggrin: :biggrin:

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
I simply don't understand why smokers think it's their god given right to just go off on "smoke breaks" at work. We've all seen it, 10 extra mins after lunch, bring a cup of coffee/can of drink out in the middle of work, after/before meetings...etc...

So is this right?? While everyone is at work, being an addict entitles them to go off whenever they feel like it, so that they can drink, smoke and chat with their smoking buddy?? Sometime disrupting or delaying other people's work. Must we be considerate to these kind of people and don't be so calculative?? Should smokers be thankful for other people's consideration and treat it as a privilege instead of an entitlement??

This is just the work aspect, there are plenty of another things to talk if we want to open up this can of worms. :o
really depends on the angle ppl see things. if smoke break is seen as schiving, then to some extent, toilet/ pantry breaks can also be manipulated as schiving too. some make visiting the copier room/ fax machine/ recept another means to catch their God-given breaks. there're many non-smokers that i know of who'd use other means of stepping outta the office to take 5s.

smokers: step outta office to take 5
thirsty camel: water parade every ½ hourly stroll to pantry/water cooler (chit chat with bitching kaki)... minutes later, visit toilet. after toilet break, water parade again
hungry ghost: stroll to pantry (chit chat with bitching kaki), grab 1 or 2 bites, go back to desk, revisit pantry after finishing ingesting the snacks
office catwalker: sashay to copier room to duplicate 1 document n sashay back to desk, later realised 4got to copy few other documents, sashay back to copier room again
office journalist: best friend with the office receptionist, act busy to post document, search for envelope/ stamp, while busy bitching away. revisit the receptionist again, when news pops up again

looking at the situation, unless the smoker employee is a super chain smoker, spends 30min trying to finish his pack of 20sticks... i think 5min smoke break (tobacco at own expense) is relatively nothing compared to the non-smoking free-loaders that expand company resources & time.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
Smoker, coffee addict or serial toilet goer .... What's the difference in the working world today where employees are judged by deliverables instead of the hours clocked?

cant agree more, cos at the end of the day, 1 can sign-in & out at the start of the day... bt as long as he/she fetches the moola, the boss will still be smiling.

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Smoker, coffee addict or serial toilet goer .... What's the difference in the working world today where employees are judged by deliverables instead of the hours clocked?

I disagree with this elitist thinking, So if I'm doing sales and my results are not that good, the top sales guy can just come over and give me a slap because he is bringing in big money for my company?? My boss may decide to pretend not to see it and the top sales guy can do whatever he want, but what does this show about his character, which is our topic of discussion here.

Does he respect his fellow colleagues?? Is what he is doing right?? What kind of attitude does this person have??

To bro suteerak1099, let me share with you a short story,

A policeman once caught me of shoplifting, my reply to the person was.."At least I didn't hurt anybody what, I didn't rob an old lady like other people, I only steal from the rich, I did not beat or kill anybody like other robbers. So actually I'm not that bad, you should go arrest those killers and vicious robbers instead of me."

My point is, our topic of discussion here is about smokers, if they want to compare of course there lots of other types of people who are even worst. However does that take away any wrong they have done??

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal

It's about the attitude, it's about fairness and it's about the principle. Smoker DIE DIE must have smoking breaks a couple of times throughout the day. That's a FACT. And they probably, like the rest of non-smokers, take toilet breaks, etc too.

If you were to look at this rationally, you will agree with me. Each smoking break that my smoking colleague takes is 15-20 minutes gone. Many have to take the lift downstairs and smoke outside or some go to the roof time. Somemore, they often chio their fellow cancer stickers and slowly "savour" the poison sticks.

Smoking break is definitely different from going to the pantry to get a cup of coffee.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I disagree with this elitist thinking, So if I'm doing sales and my results are not that good, the top sales guy can just come over and give me a slap because he is bringing in big money for my company?? ??

Nothing to do with elitism. An employee is paid by his/her manager... and not subjected to the bullying of your top sales guy. I dunno why this point was raised by you .... If anyone is treated unfairly by a colleague, a complain can be filed.

My boss may decide to pretend not to see it and the top sales guy can do whatever he want, but what does this show about his character, which is our topic of discussion here.

Does he respect his fellow colleagues?? Is what he is doing right?? What kind of attitude does this person have??

Are you implying that all smokers are bullies and have no respect for colleagues? Are all smokers undesirable characters?

To bro suteerak1099, let me share with you a short story,

A policeman once caught me of shoplifting, my reply to the person was.."At least I didn't hurt anybody what, I didn't rob an old lady like other people, I only steal from the rich, I did not beat or kill anybody like other robbers. So actually I'm not that bad, you should go arrest those killers and vicious robbers instead of me."

My point is, our topic of discussion here is about smokers, if they want to compare of course there lots of other types of people who are even worst. However does that take away any wrong they have done??

I think it is only fair to compare. No arguement can exist in vacuum.

Btw the smoking habit is despised by the masses because it is the most visible vice compared to drinking, whoring, gambling etc.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's about the attitude, it's about fairness and it's about the principle. Smoker DIE DIE must have smoking breaks a couple of times throughout the day. That's a FACT. And they probably, like the rest of non-smokers, take toilet breaks, etc too.

If you were to look at this rationally, you will agree with me. Each smoking break that my smoking colleague takes is 15-20 minutes gone. Many have to take the lift downstairs and smoke outside or some go to the roof time. Somemore, they often chio their fellow cancer stickers and slowly "savour" the poison sticks.

Smoking break is definitely different from going to the pantry to get a cup of coffee.

Okay ... Going by your logic of "attitude", "fairness" and "principle", an employee who works 16 hours a day is better than someone who works the regular 9 to 6?

No offense sir ... but I wouldn't want you as a boss ...

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
........ To bro suteerak1099, let me share with you a short story,

well, since u agree that there're ppl out there who've devised their other means of schiving at work.... then wats the issue against smokers then? unless we can safely say that all shall be fitted with toilet seats at their desks, smoke extractor fitted for smoker's section... so every1's stuck infront of their desks to fulfill their work?

at the end of the day, i dont think its necessary to be anal about ppl leaving their seats just to take a break from the work.

fyi, there're some asian companies - they enforce interval breaks in the daily work schedules, while in some european countries, afternoon siesta is legit too.

eboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
well, since u agree that there're ppl out there who've devised their other means of schiving at work.... then wats the issue against smokers then? unless we can safely say that all shall be fitted with toilet seats at their desks, smoke extractor fitted for smoker's section... so every1's stuck infront of their desks to fulfill their work?

at the end of the day, i dont think its necessary to be anal about ppl leaving their seats just to take a break from the work.

fyi, there're some asian companies - they enforce interval breaks in the daily work schedules, while in some european countries, afternoon siesta is legit too.

WAH BIANG EH U MEAN THERE ARE STILL PPL WHO THINK OF WORKING HARD BUT NOt SMART.

if i got 2 employees, one can do the job, but smoke while the other cant, but is a non-smoker. i'll get rid of the 2nd one. As long as anyone carries out his duties well, his time is his own to manage

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay ... Going by your logic of "attitude", "fairness" and "principle", an employee who works 16 hours a day is better than someone who works the regular 9 to 6?

No offense sir ... but I wouldn't want you as a boss ...

How about this: all things being equal, I will definitely employ a non-smoker.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal

Whatever lead you to draw that conclusion? This has nothing to do with working smart or whatever. Of course, many smokers work much harder than non-smokers and vice versa. But we are dealing with smoking breaks here.

The thread starter wanted to ask if smoking break is a right, entitlement or privilege.

I don't think smokers can ever understand how disruptive their constant going off to smoke can disrupt fellow colleagues.

DonJuanDemarco

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm, this brings me back to my Chao Recruit BMT days

Chao Recruit: Sergeant, can go for chop chop 5min smoke break???
Sergeant: Knock it down 20 first
Chao Recruits: YES SERGEANT!!!!

Suddenly from Zero Fighter on the chin up bar, i did 8 pull ups after smoke break training.

Sergeant: Smokers who don't get gold 1 week cannot have smoke break in camp!
Chao Recruit: wah!!!! "starts to jog everynight"

IPPT comes: Wah biang, from 15min for 2.4km become gold standard!!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dunno why this point was raised by you ....If anyone is treated unfairly by a colleague, a complain can be filed.

I raise this point because the smoker's defense here is that as long as I can do my job, I should be allow to just walk off whenever I want, as many times as I need. So according to that logic, the top sales guy can also do whatever he wants as he makes the most money for the company.

So do you think it's "fair" for someone to give themselves breaks whenever they feel like it, take as long as they need, to feed their own selfish addiction. as compared to someone who works hard at their desk??

I think it is only fair to compare. No arguement can exist in vacuum.

Of course you can compare, but it's funny how people always compare against someone worst off for their own defense. Why don't they compare with someone better??

Btw the smoking habit is despised by the masses because it is the most visible vice compared to drinking, whoring, gambling etc.

Smokers think they can get away with it because it's has somehow became an "acceptable" vice.

well, since u agree that there're ppl out there who've devised their other means of schiving at work.... then wats the issue against smokers then?

The topic here IS about smokers!! You still don't understand?? :confused: If I start a topic on "Should shoplifters be arrested??" Then people start coming in and talk about murders..robbers..what's the point?? To make shoplifting less illegal??

If you don't want to discuss about it and want to pull other bad office habits to defend the smokers, we can always start another thread about bad office habits??

JWNY

Alfrescian
Loyal
So far in the discussion, most of us have a consensus...smoke before work, lunch hour(s), maybe tea-time or towards the end of work, whatever.

Smoke breaks are not an entitlement, it has never been. It is perceived and dicatated by the surroundings, ie - if your boss is a smoker, you can be damn sure smoke breaks will be permitted at will. If you're peers are smokers, live and let live (we're talking about amongst themselves), if not many people smoke...somehow the urge goes away but the 1 or 2 breaks usually are "tolerated" by our friendly and even not-so-friendly colleagues.

I say, as humans or workers rather, we apply some common sense - there's never been a "right" time to smoke...there's also never been a written rule that you can't take the occasional puffy, so smokers should know when is most appropriate and non-smokers can try to turn a blind eye (at least on one occasion for the 7 hours at office)

No system is perfect, some will abuse it...(bus3rds! :mad:)

If a smoker gauges his smoke breaks to some KPI, every S$20 i sell, i get 1 smoke break theory...there will be no end. My point is, smokers have their boundaries. We cannot deny them this "silent" entitlement, we can bitch about it, but for every non-smoker...there will be a smoker.

To non-smokers, try to understand as well, smokers have been getting a lot of stick (pun intended) and have been confined to many changes to accomodate the non-smokers over the years, controlled areas, higher taxes etc. Most of them have bitched abot it...but still followed the "rules". They just ask for their nicotine fix...how they lead their lives, is not important, even to passive smokers who are their own family members.

i'm not saying give them a break...it can be an eye sore, especially those herd mentality ones where you see half of the same department near the small litter bin.

You can distinguish a considerate smoker to one who doesn't give a f***.

Cheers

JWNY

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
So far in the discussion, .....

You can distinguish a considerate smoker to one who doesn't give a f***.

Cheers

JWNY

Thanks for the balanced view Cokeman... I think it's a sad day for Ah Guan when I have to argue about the right to smoke. But it was becoming like a Salem (pun intended) witch-hunt.

I can't be silent to the fact where non-smokers have a pre-conceived notion that all smokers are desperate, inconsiderate and unreliable. Perhaps it's an image planted by popular media - where the smokers are always the dumb villians....

I enjoy my cigarette and I am mature enough to ensure no one else bears the cost of my lifestyle choice.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Guys, guys
Both clean and smoky lungs said their piece.

There are good and bad smokers (just as there are baddies and good guys in life). Excuse my dig, puffers are a hardy lot despite restrictions and ever rising prices. Endangered species, maybe not?.:p
...distinguish a considerate smoker to one who doesn't give a f***.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
There. You said it.

You don't like smokers and that's that.

How can you accuse me of that? I am talking about work here. And I stay by what I say:all things being equal, I will pick a non-smoking employee over a smoking one. That's for very practical and reasonable reasons.

Why should I hate smokers, I hang out with smoking friends too. IN fact, one of my regular mahjong kaki is a chain smoker. We can never survive a East and South round without him having a smoking break. I am fine with that because it's just a recreational game for all of us.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
......... The topic here IS about smokers!! You still don't understand?? :confused: If I start a topic on "Should shoplifters be arrested??" Then people start coming in and talk about murders..robbers..what's the point?? To make shoplifting less illegal??

If you don't want to discuss about it and want to pull other bad office habits to defend the smokers, we can always start another thread about bad office habits??
well, under the MOM guidelines, i dont think anything's stated about smoking/ toilet/ pantry breaks. basically, regardless if its a vice or not, it's not a given right.

if u gotta do it, if u gotta go, just go.... in the working world, there's no need to raise hands & seek permission to excuse 1self for watever reasons. we're all adults & can decide when we wanna give ourselves a break. n i dont think there's anything legit to justify reason/cause for 1's actions - for as lil as a 5min break.

so, tell us, wats so wrong about taking 5?