• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Sinkie Says That $1.90 For Economy Rice With Fish And Curry Veg Is Fucking Expensive! Oppies Agree?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1667898282214.png

He wrote in Chinese: “Walao, a slab of sardine, curry vegetables, the boss charged me S$1.90. So expensive. #SG” Accompanying his food was a can of oolong tea, presumably from the coffee shop’s drinks stall.

Tay’s post attracted over 400 comments, with netizens debating whether it was fair to deem the $1.90 plate of economic rice as expensive. Most of the comments opined that Tay was expecting too much, and that $1.90 was very reasonable.

“Do you need me to report this to CASE for you?” teased one commenter, though Tay appeared to reply seriously: “I forgot to take the receipt. There’s no proof.”

1667898383604.png

Another commenter wrote: “Rice needs a rice cooker to cook, vegetables need oil to fry, curry powder must be purchased, and you need water to cook. Sardines are bought canned. Altogether, it’s not unreasonable to charge you $5 for your food. You can try to sell me this at S$1.90 and see if I’ll buy it.”

A man living in Johor Bahru also weighed in: “It would cost about RM7.50 to RM8 ($2.20 - $2.40) in JB. Are you making fun of us Johorians? This [food] is cheap.”

Another netizen gently poked fun at Tay, saying: “$1.90 must be the price of your oolong tea, you haven’t counted the economic rice.”

One group member heatedly retorted: ““You eat rice but don’t know the value of rice. It’s cheap but you say it’s expensive. Go home and cook it yourself!”

https://www.todayonline.com/8days/m...ai-png-sardine-curry-veg-so-expensive-2039701

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ayam brand sardines are the most expensive. But it's quality is much much better than those cheaper brands you see on the supermarket shelves these days. It's less salty too.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's"economical rice". Not economy or economic rice. For fuck's sake. Why sinkie Engrish standard so fucked up?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People should skip lunch and aim to eat only one meal a day.

They can save a lot of money that way.

It is a myth than we need to eat three meals a day.

Also, it can help solve a lot of modern urban health problems. But the media, doctors and drug companies will never tell you that. :cool:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's"economical rice". Not economy or economic rice. For fuck's sake. Why sinkie Engrish standard so fucked up?

Not really, some stalls do put up 'Economy rice' or 'Economic rice' on their signboard.

It's basically Chinglish directly translated from Chinese. The nuance is lost in translation. :biggrin:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ayam brand sardines are the most expensive. But it's quality is much much better than those cheaper brands you see on the supermarket shelves these days. It's less salty too.

$1.90 is a very cheap price for a full meal of fish and veggies. A sushi snack from one of those takeaway stalls would easily cost $2 and above.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Better next time boil your own rice, open your own can of sardine and fry your own vegetables.

BTW...how much you paid for your Pokka canned drink ?

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having lunch in office now and I paid $4.60 for a packet of vegetarian fried bee hoon with char siew (flour) and curry veggies.

Teh C cost $1.80 on paper cup :thumbsdown:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Having lunch in office now and I paid $4.60 for a packet of vegetarian fried bee hoon with char siew (flour) and curry veggies.

Teh C cost $1.80 on paper cup :thumbsdown:

The irony of Chinese vegetarian food: fake meat is also priced higher, as though it were real meat at a mixed veg rice stall. :biggrin: