• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie admitted to AMDK that Singlish is low class. Singlish speaking Sinkies please take note.

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
my China counterparts hire top uni students in China who learned "wai yu" - foreign language, they can slang like Americans when speaking English, very confident and fluent.

But when we are with our US suppliers, they trust me more despite my C5 English, Singapore accent and UK pronunciations. There is a kind of cockyness when Asians try to slang like Americans, or maybe my US suppliers are not the liberals in California

They just find me more sincere and at least culturally we are closer; I know who is Ally Mcbeal.

d8c974eae46de47aeb04c0dee922832133f59649af93085c55d62549d8b95690.jpg

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not so much the accent. All nationalities have their own peculiar accents. The problem with most Singaporeans is the standard of English rather than accent. By standard, I'm referring to grammar, sentence structure and pronunciation. Speaking in an American accent or British accent doesn't necessarily equate to good English. Having said that, the term Singlish is just an excuse for poor English.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG salesperson wished he had “American accent” because local accent is “low class” - Singapore News
SINGAPORE: A foreigner took to the subreddit r/askSingapore on Jan 12 to share his encounter with a Singaporean salesperson because, in the middle of their conversation, the Singaporean said he wished he had the foreigner’s “American accent.”

“Was shopping and speaking to a salesperson. Randomly 10 minutes into the conversation, he said he wish he had my accent (American),” he wrote. Curious about the remark, the foreigner asked the Singaporean, “Why? What’s wrong with the Singaporean accent?”

The Singaporean then told him it had “something to the effect of low class.”

“But I totally didn’t really understand why that’d be the case,” the American said.

Confused about this sudden revelation, the foreigner asked other Singaporeans on Reddit how an “accent is related to class?”

SG Redditors: ‘Accent is not the issue’
One SG Redditor stated that the “standard of [spoken] English and written English” of the locals was the issue, not the accent.

“Reading through most official documents in Singapore is sometimes physically painful because the grammar is completely off and the documents are normally rife with spelling errors etc.

I honestly think that a lot of it would go away if Singapore just said, “hey, gents, Singlish is a different language and should be treated separately and recognised as such.” Which should pave the way for diglossia, which would benefit everyone greatly,” the Redditor wrote.

Another Redditor also added, “The framing of Singlish with respect to our identity is crucial. I agree with this point. Treating Singlish as a creole or separate language would go some way to alleviate the problem.

Unfortunately, a combination of white worship and our government’s public disdain of Singlish in the past has led Singlish being looked down upon by some Singaporeans.”

Another SG Redditor said that the Singaporean salesperson’s remark was simply a classic example of the sentiments of “Textbook self-deprecating/grass is greener kind of sinkies.”

One Redditor also talked about how, as he grew older and studied overseas, he learned to value “Singlish.” He said, “It was so convenient, and there’s like a bond created when you meet someone in a different country and you hear them speak English.”

The ‘Accent Bias’
Unfortunately, this ‘accent bias’ phenomenon—wherein an unjustified bias is formed based on the sound of someone’s speech—is rampant not only in Singapore but also in other countries.

Accents have been used to indicate whether someone fits into a particular “group or class,” even more so than race.

Psychologist Professor Kinzler found in a 2009 study that even five-year-olds preferred other-race children with a similar accent over their own-race peers when given the choice.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
speaking in full sentences with proper grammar will be a start. instead of “do you have any interest in signing up?” singlish version is “interested or not?” “can you do this?” singlish version is “can?”

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG salesperson wished he had “American accent” because local accent is “low class” - Singapore News
SINGAPORE: A foreigner took to the subreddit r/askSingapore on Jan 12 to share his encounter with a Singaporean salesperson because, in the middle of their conversation, the Singaporean said he wished he had the foreigner’s “American accent.”

“Was shopping and speaking to a salesperson. Randomly 10 minutes into the conversation, he said he wish he had my accent (American),” he wrote. Curious about the remark, the foreigner asked the Singaporean, “Why? What’s wrong with the Singaporean accent?”

“But I totally didn’t really understand why that’d be the case,” the American said.

Confused about this sudden revelation, the foreigner asked other Singaporeans on Reddit how an “accent is related to class?”

One SG Redditor stated that the “standard of [spoken] English and written English” of the locals was the issue, not the accent.

“Reading through most official documents in Singapore is sometimes physically painful because the grammar is completely off and the documents are normally rife with spelling errors etc.

I honestly think that a lot of it would go away if Singapore just said, “hey, gents, Singlish is a different language and should be treated separately and recognised as such.” Which should pave the way for diglossia, which would benefit everyone greatly,” the Redditor wrote.

Another Redditor also added, “The framing of Singlish with respect to our identity is crucial. I agree with this point. Treating Singlish as a creole or separate language would go some way to alleviate the problem.

Unfortunately, a combination of white worship and our government’s public disdain of Singlish in the past has led Singlish being looked down upon by some Singaporeans.”

Another SG Redditor said that the Singaporean salesperson’s remark was simply a classic example of the sentiments of “Textbook self-deprecating/grass is greener kind of sinkies.”

One Redditor also talked about how, as he grew older and studied overseas, he learned to value “Singlish.” He said, “It was so convenient, and there’s like a bond created when you meet someone in a different country and you hear them speak English.”

The ‘Accent Bias’
Unfortunately, this ‘accent bias’ phenomenon—wherein an unjustified bias is formed based on the sound of someone’s speech—is rampant not only in Singapore but also in other countries.

Accents have been used to indicate whether someone fits into a particular “group or class,” even more so than race.

Psychologist Professor Kinzler found in a 2009 study that even five-year-olds preferred other-race children with a similar accent over their own-race peers when given the choice.
He need to reborn rich

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

The ‘Accent Bias’

I agree totally with this :

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singlish is for losers,said Ah Gong.

https://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/...singlish-if-you-do-you-are-the-loser.6781358/

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Singlish is low class, then what is this? Lower than low class? Any Tiong fanboys here wish to comment? :biggrin:

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
speaking in full sentences with proper grammar will be a start. instead of “do you have any interest in signing up?” singlish version is “interested or not?” “can you do this?” singlish version is “can?”
Alot sinki are SPM educated

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
That actually proves that Singlish is a more evolved superior form of Emgrand as it's much simpler and more efficient in conveying the massage....why makes things more complicated? But American still bestest

English: what are you talking about?
Singlish: wat talking U?
American Blacks: Say waat?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That actually proves that Singlish is a more evolved superior form of Emgrand as it's much simpler and more efficient in conveying the massage....why makes things more complicated? But American still bestest

English: what are you talking about?
Singlish: wat talking U?
American Blacks: Say waat?
american engrish has also evolved. a brit would articulate in a full sentence… “it’s highly likely that i have committed an error.” a redneck would say… “fuck!”

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
american engrish has also evolved. a brit would articulate in a full sentence… “it’s highly likely that i have committed an error.” a redneck would say… “fuck!”
But in certain ways yankee land holds the 'traditions' of pommie land better than the poms themselves. For example they still use imperial measurements. N the courts still use alot of Latin phrases and actually Yankee land spelling is the original pommie spelling as poms actually made Engrand spelling more complicated.
For example:
Pommie land: Labour
Yankee land : Labor
The poms added the 'u' bcos they were influenced by the frogs ..