• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Singapore] - Two men on trial for tying NSF up with raffia string, beating him to death in Yishun

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1630162633742.png

Ryan Xavier Tay Seet Choong (right), 24, and his stepfather Lawrence Lim Peck Beng (left), 58, at the State Courts on Feb 11, 2020. They are claiming trial for causing the death of Shawn Ignatius Rodrigues, 26.

SINGAPORE — He was apparently fed up with being harassed by his church friend, so Ryan Xavier Tay Seet Choong and his stepfather took matters into their hands to clobber the other man at a block of flats in Yishun.

Their assault was allegedly so violent that the friend eventually died from his injuries at the scene.

Both the accused are now charged with causing grievous hurt to Shawn Ignatius Rodrigues, then 26, on July 9, 2016.

Tay, now 24, and Lawrence Lim Peck Beng, now 58, began standing trial in court on Tuesday (Feb 11).

Tay, then a full-time national serviceman (NSF), is accused of stamping on Rodrigues’ shoulder, punching his face and head numerous times, forcefully pushing his face to the ground and pressing his knee on Rodrigues’ back for about 20 minutes.

This allegedly led to Rodrigues — who was also an NSF at the time — dying from traumatic asphyxia with head injury.

Read also: Accused of bashing girlfriend, doctor claims his alcoholism causes blackouts and he doesn’t recall assault

Lim, a retiree, is contesting his charge of abetting Tay by sitting on Rodrigues’ buttocks and holding his legs.

Court documents stated that Tay also allegedly fractured Rodrigues’ nose and eye socket during the assault.

Tay is represented by lawyer Peter Low from Peter Low & Choo, while Lim is represented by Mr Ang Sin Teck from Belinda Ang Tang & Partners.

In past media reports, Tay’s sister claimed that Rodrigues had been stalking their family for more than two years before the incident.

After Tay was arrested, the police said that his mother had filed four reports against Rodrigues between April 2015 and March 2016.

Rodrigues had also made reports against Tay — once in June 2015, after Tay purportedly assaulted him earlier. However, Rodrigues said that he did not want to pursue the matter.

Read also: Educator jailed for punching man after spat over racist remarks

The police had also advised Tay’s family to file a magistrate's complaint against Rodrigues. Both parties attended mediation sessions between February and May 2016 at the Community Court.

FAINT PULSE AT WRIST, NONE AT NECK

On Tuesday, the court heard testimony from three police officers who were called to the scene the day Rodrigues died.

All three told the court that when they got there — the fifth floor staircase landing of Block 279, Yishun Street 22 — Rodrigues was tied up with raffia string and lying face-down, with blood on his face.

His legs were crossed and his ankles were bound together with pink raffia string, they testified.

Another piece of white string was tied to his right hand, then tied to the pink string around his legs.

This caused his knees to be bent with his feet in the air, the officers said.

Staff Sergeant Lau Ji Xiang said that he saw Lim sitting on Rodrigues’ buttock area when he first arrived, with Tay standing close by. Both Tay and his stepfather were not wearing any shirts then.

Another officer — Senior Staff Sergeant Lim Jun He — said that he arrived shortly afterwards and spoke to Tay and Lim, who told him that Rodrigues had visited him four times that day. Lim also showed the officer some police reports.

Senior Staff Sergeant Lim then checked Rodrigues’ pulse and felt a faint one at his wrist, but none at his neck.*

Singapore Civil Defence Force paramedics arrived and pronounced Rodrigues dead at about 8.30pm.

Tay was arrested shortly after for causing his death in a rash act, and taken to the Police Cantonment Complex.

‘HE TOUCHED MY MOTHER’

Three clips from Senior Staff Sergeant Lim’s body-worn camera were played in court, showing the officer interviewing Lim and Tay in a mix of English, Mandarin, Hokkien and Malay at the scene.

As the officer questioned Tay about being allegedly harassed by Rodrigues, Tay said that he had told Rodrigues he would “really kill him because he touched my mother”.

One of the police reports that Tay’s mother made against Rodrigues was for molesting her. The other three reports that she made were for Rodrigues allegedly turning up at Tay’s home and causing a nuisance, before being asked to leave by his family.

At one point as the camera footage played, a neighbour — identified in court as Mr Ur Kok Seng — interjected to say that he had provided some of the raffia string, and that another neighbour living on the 12th floor of the block helped to tie Rodrigues up.

Tay also said in Mandarin that he had “smashed” Rodrigues onto the ground as he “kept wanting to catch me”, which resulted in a bloody nose.

The trial continues on Wednesday with Mr Ur and three other neighbours set to take the stand.

If convicted of causing grievous hurt, Lim and Tay could each be jailed up to 10 years.

Offenders can also be fined or caned, but those above 50 years old cannot be caned by law.

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/two-men-trial-tying-nsf-raffia-string-beating-him-death-yishun

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look on the bright side... he won't have to do reservist training anymore. :thumbsup:

There is a silver lining in everything if you are willing to look for it. :wink:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Like that if bad people are forgiven by God, then what the fuck is hell for?:biggrin:

For disbelievers: atheists and those who follow the wrong religion. Wrong religion = anything outside Christianity.

It's very crowded down there indeed. :eek:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
For disbelievers: atheists and those who follow the wrong religion. Wrong religion = anything outside Christianity.

It's very crowded down there indeed. :eek:
But I bet it is more sexciting!:thumbsup: I mean who wants to float around on a cloud playing the harp for all eternity? So fucking pointless and boring.:biggrin:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
And they are all church going, god fearing Chirstians? Wa lau eh!!!:eek: Christianity is a fake religion lah.
It is indeed.,historians have confirmed this.
I Would say the tay family were victims. Rodrigues the allege harasser. Probably got a eye for the mother so uses religious reasons to see family countless times.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Like that if bad people are forgiven by God, then what the fuck is hell for?:biggrin:

I'm surprised you are offended by this or mock this core part of Christianity. Usually in my own social circles, it's the religiously conservative Christians who take the greatest offence at bad people being allowed into Heaven despite a lifetime of sin and disbelief. Those Christians, who spent a lifetime in church and Christian ministry and many hours of prayers and fasting and doing good deeds, are upset that they have to share heaven with bad people who accept Jesus very late in life.

Anyway, here's the Biblical reference about bad people being saved by faith alone.

"One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[d]”

Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise
.” - Luke 23 : 39 - 43.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Be careful. John Tan may just be the same sort of idiot.

Aren't you the sort of idiot who blindly accepts that a bandit, rapist and pedophile can be a prophet? Fucking fraud met his demise after getting poisoned by a maid whom he raped. What sort of moron eats food prepared by a woman he raped or allowed his men to rape?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I'm surprised you are offended by this or mock this core part of Christianity. Usually in my own social circles, it's the religiously conservative Christians who take the greatest offence at bad people being allowed into Heaven despite a lifetime of sin and disbelief. Those Christians, who spent a lifetime in church and Christian ministry and many hours of prayers and fasting and doing good deeds, are upset that they have to share heaven with bad people who accept Jesus very late in life.
Just like oppies are entitled to receive handouts, rebates, subsidies from the pap?:biggrin:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Just like oppies are entitled to receive handouts, rebates, subsidies from the pap?:biggrin:

Oppies who finally vote for PAP just once deserve the same amount of rebates and priority for HDB upgrading as those who voted PAP every time like myself. It's in the Bible too, Jesus' parable about the towkay and workers in the vineyard.

A landowner goes out early in the morning and hires men, agreeing to pay them the daily rate - a silver coin for a day’s work.

He hires them at various times throughout the day - 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 5pm and promises all of the workers a fair wage.

When the end of the day came, the landowner said to his manager to pay the workers, starting with those who had been hired last. Those who began working at 5pm were given the daily rate - one silver coin.

When it came to those who had been hired first (early in the morning) they thought that they were going to receive more. When they too were given the standard daily wage they began to grumble. They were angry because they had done a lot more work than those who had started later in the day.

The landowner did not listen to their complaints and reminded them that they had agreed to the daily rate of pay when they were hired. He said, “Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or are you envious because I am generous?”

The landowner then says, “The last will be first and the first will be last.” Matthew 20 : 1 - 6.

Last edited:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Oppies who finally vote for PAP just once deserve the same amount of rebates and priority for HDB upgrading as those who voted PAP every time like myself. It's in the Bible too, Jesus' parable about the towkay and workers in the vineyard.

A landowner goes out early in the morning and hires men, agreeing to pay them the daily rate - a silver coin for a day’s work.

He hires them at various times throughout the day - 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 5pm and promises all of the workers a fair wage.

When the end of the day came, the landowner said to his manager to pay the workers, starting with those who had been hired last. Those who began working at 5pm were given the daily rate - one silver coin.

When it came to those who had been hired first (early in the morning) they thought that they were going to receive more. When they too were given the standard daily wage they began to grumble. They were angry because they had done a lot more work than those who had started later in the day.

The landowner did not listen to their complaints and reminded them that they had agreed to the daily rate of pay when they were hired. He said, “Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or are you envious because I am generous?”

The landowner then says, “The last will be first and the first will be last.” Matthew 20 : 1 - 6.
What about oppies who have never ever voted for the pap? And will never.:cautious::biggrin:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What about oppies who have never ever voted for the pap? And will never.:cautious::biggrin:

PM Lee already said that hardcore oppies are entitled to the same basic rights of all citizens, such as security, public housing, schools, utilities, employment, etc. There is no law or practice to deprive oppies of any of their basic rights as citizens. For example, oppies have the same priority in balloting for HDB flats in Bidari or Duxton as PAP voters.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
PM Lee already said that hardcore oppies are entitled to the same basic rights of all citizens, such as security, public housing, schools, utilities, employment, etc. There is no law or practice to deprive oppies of any of their basic rights as citizens. For example, oppies have the same priority in balloting for HDB flats in Bidari or Duxton as PAP voters.
Hence, good christians in your social circle should not be upset that bad christians go to heaven too! Learn from the wonderfully forgiving and magnanimous pap.:inlove: