• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore is worse than a prostitute...

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
This english as first language policy BY THE PAP GOVERNMENT, IT IS A FAILURE. JUST LIKE MANY OTHER SCREW UP POLICIES BY THE PAP GOVT.

THIS POLICY IS DETRIMENTAL TO THE LANGUAGE CAPABILITY, LANGUAGE SKILL OF THIS COUNTRY.

IF WE STILL CARE ABOUT SINGAPORE, VOTE THE PAP OUT AND SCRAP THIS SCREW UP LANGUAGE POLICY WHICH BROUGHT ALL OF US DOWN TO THE STAGE WHEREBY SPEECH IMPEDIMENT IS A NORM. THINK PM LHL. IF PM LHL SPEAK LIKE HE'S HAVING A PLUM IN HIS MOUTH, AND HE IS THE SO CALL CREAM OF THE CROP OF THIS COUNTRY, WE ARE IN TROUBLE WITH OUR LANGUAGE.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
And now the gloves and masks are off. It's about politics, not linguistics.

are u a retard mr ramseth?

if pap is in charge, how to do a reform on our language policy?? would PAP do a reform on this english as first language policy themselves? would PAP do that??

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
until some people spit out the sink and the hook of how 'brilliant' this language policy of PAP and see it as it is:

a shitty policy which brought us down to the stage whereby speech impediment (e.g. PM LHL) is a norm.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
no. its not me with high standard. let me give u an example:

if PM LHL could speak clearly, why does donald rumsfeld need a translator when he pay LHL a visit?

Then why don't you point out on the other dignitaries that came to Spore without the need for translators?

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
are u a retard mr ramseth?

if pap is in charge, how to do a reform on our language policy?? would PAP do a reform on this english as first language policy themselves? would PAP do that??

In that case are you also insinuating that the opposition will undertake to reform this language policy?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are a number of pages here and i have not read through all of them. I apologized if i miss the gist of what was said earlier.

In my opinion, english as the first language is the best and most neutral position to uphold. It unifies the races, gives a common platform for communication and racial harmony.

Even if PM LHL speaks with a plum in his mouth, it is infinitely better than to hear him speak like a BBC newscaster.

The mother tongue is respected and no one is forced to learn the language of another, unlike neighbouring states. Neither is anyone forced to adopt another's language in naming your own child.

For these reasons, I am not able to align with the anger against such a policy.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm fine with the PAP 1st/2nd Language policy. I speak English and Chinese well enough to be tuitor and translator in the USA and the PRC for both languages. I'm not feeling fine with some other PAP policies, but that's another matter. I address the policy, not the party. I measure broad results, not narrow sentiments.

Last edited:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm fine with the PAP 1st/2nd Language policy. I speak English and Chinese well enough to be tuitor and translator in the USA and the PRC for both languages. I'm not feeling fine with some other PAP policies, but that's another matter. I address the policy, not the party. I measure broad results, not narrow sentiments.

its not narrow sentiments when a PM has poor spoken english. its a serious problem. it is a reflection on our flawed language policy.

i guess u and many others just dont get it.

Last edited:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are so many labels here in this thread for me. chauvinist, language police, narrow sentiments?, etc etc. but lets just look at this language policy objectively.

now if u find that most of the singaporeans have no communication, langauge problem, okay end of discussion.

but i plead with u, look at PM Lee and many other MP in the parliament. listen to them, and ask yourself, do they speak clearly or muddly? if the answer is yes, they do not speak clearly, then, ask yourself, do we have a problem in our language policy?

if we have a spoken english problem starting from the high profile public servants such as PM, then we have a problem in our language policy.

so why let sentiment sets in and cloud our judgment? why defend a policy which is flawed???

Last edited:

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know how you manage to lump the language policy and our poor quality education together. There is nothing wrong with English as first language. There's something wrong with how it is taught. Unlike western countries, we don't let our children train their diction and pronunciation enough. We don't have 'show and tells' for all student, or ensure every stupid can debate properly in english.

So what if sissy Lee speaks mangled english? There are plenty of sinkees who speak better english than him. Like Chee Soon Juan, JBJ, even primary school kids.

Don't forget that these ministers are not there becos they're the best. They're in power because they have ties to LKY!

there are so many labels here in this thread for me. chauvinist, language police, narrow sentiments?, etc etc. but lets just look at this language policy objectively.

now if u find that most of the singaporeans have no communication, langauge problem, okay end of discussion.

but i plead with u, look at PM Lee and many other MP in the parliament. listen to them, and ask yourself, do they speak clearly or muddly? if the answer is yes, they do not speak clearly, then, ask yourself, do we have a problem in our language policy?

if we have a spoken english problem starting from the high profile public servants such as PM, then we have a problem in our language policy.

so why let sentiment sets in and cloud our judgment? why defend a policy which is flawed???

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know how you manage to lump the language policy and our poor quality education together. There is nothing wrong with English as first language. There's something wrong with how it is taught. Unlike western countries, we don't let our children train their diction and pronunciation enough. We don't have 'show and tells' for all student, or ensure every stupid can debate properly in english.

So what if sissy Lee speaks mangled english? There are plenty of sinkees who speak better english than him. Like Chee Soon Juan, JBJ, even primary school kids.

Don't forget that these ministers are not there becos they're the best. They're in power because they have ties to LKY!

u said it. "Unlike western countries, we don't let our children train their diction and pronunciation enough. We don't have 'show and tells' for all student, or ensure every stupid can debate properly in english."

which is why it is not a good idea this english as first language policy. WE DON'T HAVE THE RESOURCE TO IMPLEMENT THIS POLICY. THATS WHY WE HAVE SCREWY BROKEN ENGLISH EVERYWHERE. GET IT??

Last edited: