• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore 'has learnt 5 key lessons from haze crisis': Ng Eng Hen

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
SBF anti-PAP forummers, our million dollars PAP minister Ng had just said they'd learned 5 lessons, that seem to justify their high salary and hindsight (sorry hor if have foresight no need to learn liao hor). So bugger off all you anti-PAP people.

Singapore 'has learnt 5 key lessons from haze crisis': Ng Eng Hen
Ng Eng Hen says the authorities will continue to monitor situation, fine-tune contingency plans

Published on Jul 07, 2013
By Feng Zengkun, Environment Correspondent

Singapore will be even better prepared for the haze if it returns with a vengeance, said Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen, pointing to five key lessons learnt from the latest episode.

At a press conference last Friday to assess the recent haze crisis, he added that the authorities will continue to monitor the situation and fine-tune contingency plans.

Dr Ng, who heads an inter-ministerial committee to tackle the haze problem, said: "I think we are better prepared, both our people and agencies. If the haze does return we are confident that Singaporeans will take it in our stride."

Last month, the annual haze in Singapore worsened to unprecedented levels, with the three-hourly Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) hitting a record 401 on June 21.

Air becomes hazardous when the index crosses 300.

Fires in Indonesia had led to the pollution here, before rain, fire-fighting efforts and winds gave Singapore a respite.

During a community event at Pasir Ris Elias Community Club yesterday, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean also spoke about the recent crisis, saying episodes such as the haze were "a timely reminder of the importance of being prepared in different emergency situations".

Haze is a long-term issue

Dr Ng said the first thing Singaporeans need to realise is that the haze is a long-term problem.

Reports showed that both small farmers and large corporations in Indonesia are still burning forests to clear the land for crops.

"Our records on haze go as far back as the 1970s, and I suspect this slash-and-burn practice will be hard to eradicate and change overnight. This is an area where we need a multi-pronged approach," said Dr Ng, adding that Singapore must keep up diplomatic efforts with Indonesia.

Last week, Indonesia began preparations to ratify an Asean agreement on transboundary haze after meetings with Singapore and other Asean members.

The Republic also needs to enlist non-government groups to help spread environmentally friendly land-clearing practices in Indonesia, for example, mechanical methods such as using bull-dozers.

Better early warning system

At home, Dr Ng has called for a better early warning system for haze.

PSI readings, he pointed out, show what the air quality was like in the past hours or days, not what it would be in the near future. But a predictive model will help Singaporeans plan ahead.

The Government responded with health advisories for the next day, but he wants more to be done. He said the Environment Ministry is already looking at a better model to predict haze conditions. "I think it will help us all," Dr Ng said.

Information management is key

But how the information is presented to the public is also key.

While some preferred simple guidelines on how to react to the haze in the recent crisis, others expected detailed information.

"I agree that we can improve on this," said Dr Ng, explaining that the Government recognises the need to cater to different groups.

Asked why the relevant ministries' contingency plans were announced only almost a week after the haze hit record levels, given that the haze was a perennial problem, he stressed that the plans were in place but had to be "customised" for the specific crisis.

"These contingency plans are generic in the sense that they respond to say, the haze, flu pandemics, terrorist threats. Each time we have an emergency or crisis, they are updated."

The Singapore System is robust

Despite the challenges, Singapore was able to respond quicker this time, thanks to its experience in handling major events such as the severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) outbreak in 2003.

Dr Ng pointed out that the Government had distributed millions of face masks to homes and retailers within days. "Obviously there is room for improvement each time something happens, but we know our plans and structures are functioning as intended."

The authorities also rolled out other measures immediately, including subsidised medical treatment for haze-related conditions.

It also set up a fund to help childcare centres install air-conditioning to guard against the haze.

Singaporeans are resilient

But it was not just the Government which responded. Dr Ng lauded the initiatives taken by Singaporeans in helping one another fight the haze.

Not only did people get together to source and distribute masks, some even opened their air-conditioned homes so that others could take refuge from the haze, Dr Ng pointed out.

"That tells us the level of trust and care we have for one another," he said. "This is a good sign for nation-building. And I think if Singaporeans continue to respond this way it adds to our resilience."

Dr Ng said Singapore depended on Indonesia to solve the haze problem at its source.

"But if we take sensible precautions, look after ourselves and each other, the haze won't disrupt our lives. If the haze returns, I'm confident that Singaporeans will take it in (their) stride."

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We have learn one & only one big lessens from the haze, PAP is a DAZE, they are incompetent...what are we waiting for?? something major that kill many that we do something??

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Haze is a long-term issue ...

Better early warning system ...

Information management is key ...
haze has been around 4 a loong, loong time ... y did ze gahmen now oni learn dese tings? ... tis shows dat ze gahmen has been idling n haf 2 b kicked hard b4 dey get their butt orf ze ground ...

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Bargain Hen is always full of shit. Ignore his silly ramblings.

I hate to differ but we cannot ignore these motherfucker bastards, they take our money and give us shit we need to fucking confront them and make them accountable for their incompetency. Even if I am powerless now to demand for an account, I want to tell Ng Eng Hen you are a real 死仆街 咸家拎 生仔無屎窟. Ptui ptui ptui

YamSeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing happens, Simply Bo Chao, every month song song, when people KPKB, then started to initiate.:oIo::kma:

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
We have learn one & only one big lessens from the haze, PAP is a DAZE, they are incompetent...what are we waiting for?? something major that kill many that we do something??
I think they have only learnt the following :

What Singaporeans are wondering is " what else have you missed? ".

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hate to differ but we cannot ignore these motherfucker bastards, they take our money and give us shit we need to fucking confront them and make them accountable for their incompetency. Even if I am powerless now to demand for an account, I want to tell Ng Eng Hen you are a real 死仆街 咸家拎 生仔無屎窟. Ptui ptui ptui

How to ignore those maggoty cockroachy bastards?

Those PAP maggots and cockroaches stole hundreds of billions of our money, stole the country from under our feet, displaced us with their foreign trash and screw and fuck us all the time

VOTE THEM ALL OUT OUT OUT IN 2016

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This haze daze by the PAP shows that Spore is still on auto. Just look at the PAP's top leaders LKY, GCT, LHL,... Which of these people would you trust:biggrin:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lesson to be learned. But just a reminder.........."not worth the million dollar salaries".

The only lesson is "what system did you vote for?" resulting in such internal boo boo for a recurring annual issue.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dr Ng said the first thing Singaporeans need to realise is that the haze is a long-term problem.

Reports showed that both small farmers and large corporations in Indonesia are still burning forests to clear the land for crops.

"Our records on haze go as far back as the 1970s, and I suspect this slash-and-burn practice will be hard to eradicate and change overnight. This is an area where we need a multi-pronged approach," said Dr Ng, adding that Singapore must keep up diplomatic efforts with Indonesia.

lianbeng highlighted the above statements to rebut the minister: from 1970-2013, still burning? :rolleyes: lung cancer is a long term disease why are people still smoking?

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue is not whether other countries still burning or not. To be fair, agricultural based countries with large land mass will still continue to slash and burn, if corporations dont do it, poorer farmers will still do it.

But for so many donkey years, what has these self pro-claimed million dollar men of recent decades do? No fucking contingencies for crisis?

What happened to the crisis management plans that american, country x consultants help formulate in the 70's and 80's?

Last time do chemical attack training, I already thinking leow, if oil refinery accident and burn, what will happen to us......by the time they issue masks, many injured leow.

And yet, they tell us out of stock.:(:kma:

lianbeng highlighted the above statements to rebut the minister: from 1970-2013, still burning? :rolleyes: lung cancer is a long term disease why are people still smoking?

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The issue is not whether other countries still burning or not. To be fair, agricultural based countries with large land mass will still continue to slash and burn, if corporations dont do it, poorer farmers will still do it.

But for so many donkey years, what has these self pro-claimed million dollar men of recent decades do? No fucking contingencies for crisis?

:

And not just that.

Those PAP maggots and cockroaches screwing and fucking us of hundreds of billions use those money taken from us to INVEST in those companies that slash and burn causing the haze for years and years.

Either they are dumbfucks who do not know and do not care
Or
they fucking knew but pretend that they do not know

THOSE ARE REAL PAP BASTARDS AND SCRAPPINGS FROM BOTTOM OF GUTTERS AND UNFLUSHED TOILETS THAT ILLEGITIMATELY STOLE POWER AND HENCE OUR MONEY

VOTE THEM ALL OUT IN 2016

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro better trust ourself:biggrin:

I guess that's the main lesson from this haze fiasco. You can't rely on the "authorities" because they are clueless. :wink:

If they act it will be more likely for their own financial gain instead of helping their fellow Sporeans:rolleyes:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
KNNBCCB, Sunday morning read this type of news really spoil you day. What the fuck really are they paid so high for? Learning lessons? KNNBCCB MRT breakdown almost every week so many new lessons to learn? :oIo: PAP:oIo: PAP:oIo: PAP:oIo: PAP:oIo: PAP

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
tats their pattern. ppl with no commercial experience being placed in top mgt positions. loyalty counts, competence is secondary.

they will tell you " 活到老,学到老"....no shit, these are wise words from wise men:biggrin:

KNNBCCB, Sunday morning read this type of news really spoil you day. What the fuck really are they paid so high for? Learning lessons? KNNBCCB MRT breakdown almost every week so many new lessons to learn? :oIo: PAP:oIo: PAP:oIo: PAP:oIo: PAP:oIo: PAP