• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Blue Chip Stocks performance

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
During 1Q 2020, my daughter advised me to buy Zoom. She said many of her schoolmates and herself were moving onto Zoom for lessons. By 1H 2020, I've bought Square and Tesla too.

For US stocks this year, during the meltdown, I bought some Palantir and Snowflake. My tech savvy kids tell me that AI is going to be the next big thing. I also bought some Shake Shack because their burgers tastes good.

During this time of uncertainty in chink tech stocks, I bought some Alibaba and Tencents. These two companies represent chinkland economy very well.

As for SGX stocks, I'll wait for OCBC to drop back to around $8 before buying yet another round. It's a pity that I missed iFast. I've scolded my broker and told him that I'll bring my business elsewhere if he continues to overlook rare gems on the SGX.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stochastic looking overbought.
23andme.jpg

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I bought it July 12.
I usually pick stocks that are showing both Stochastic and RSI at the lowest and especially if its price is below its 20-day MA. But this is also not 100% right at times and is mostly applicable for short term trading only. For those with long term view, Fundamental Analysis is a better strategy.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I usually pick stocks that are both showing Stochastic and RSI at the lowest and especially if its price is below its 20-day MA. But this is also not 100% right at times.
Yes. Because during breakouts and strong price movements this does not work. Works for channel trading in a range.

I usually buy bank stocks during crashes.

Will queue to buy at support levels on chart.

In the end though you find you need capital sizing.

Even if a atock rose 1000% if you only bought 10k worth it is only 10 times (which is very good) but means only $100k.

Usually atocks like that also higher risk. So who dare to buy 100k worth? Unless they already lots of money lah.

My stocks overall are up about 40% (overall portfolio). But total amount worth now is only 60k (includes the unrealized gains and losses)

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Because during breakouts and strong price movements this does not work. Works for channel trading in a range.

I usually buy bank stocks during crashes.

Will queue to buy at support levels on chart.

In the end though you find you need capital sizing.

Even if a atock rose 1000% if you only bought 10k worth it is only 10 times (which is very good) but means only $100k.

Usually atocks like that also higher risk. So who dare to buy 100k worth? Unless they already lots of money lah.

My stocks overall are up about 40% (overall portfolio). But total amount worth now is only 60k (includes the unrealized gains and losses)
It's impossible to profit from all the stocks that you buy. The key is to make more than you lose and you must put a "stop loss" price. Bite the bullet and get out. Switch to a better horse.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It's impossible to profit from all the stocks that you buy. The key is to make more than you lose and you must put a "stop loss" price. Bite the bullet and get out. Switch to a better horse.
Actually i tell you sincerely.

The big 5 canadian banks are sure make money one. Seriously.

I need to be disciplined and jusr keep buying them.

BMO has paid dividends without missing a payment for 190 years! Thats fucking amazing.

Of course wont see big returns like those increase 10 times in 6.9 years.

Hence i think i putting too much pressure on myself.

I dont have 100k to throw at growth stocks left right centre. So it will not happen anyway lah.

Just do the regular compounding. Use dividends buy more of the stock

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually i tell you sincerely.

The big 5 canadian banks are sure make money one. Seriously.

I need to be disciplined and jusr keep buying them.

BMO has paid dividends without missing a payment for 190 years! Thats fucking amazing.

Of course wont see big returns like those increase 10 times in 6.9 years.

Hence i think i putting too much pressure on myself.

I dont have 100k to throw at growth stocks left right centre. So it will not happen anyway lah.

Just do the regular compounding. Use dividends buy more of the stock
For me, I used to be a long term investor since 1999. But all that has changed since May 2020 during this Covid-19 outbreak. For those who are young (in their 20s and 30s), Long Term Investing is practical, but for those over 50 years old, how much longer do you want to wait before reaping your rewards and enjoying the fruits of your labor?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
For me, I used to be a long term investor since 1999. But all that has changed since May 2020 during this Covid-19 outbreak. For those who are young (in their 20s and 30s), Long Term Investing is practical, but for those over 50 years old, how much longer do you want to wait before reaping your rewards?
Yes. Too late for me already.

But @bart12 Introduced me to this group for passive investing.

There are all these high dividend yield ETFs and split share funds. They make money from issuing call warrants. They also have core holdings of very good stocks as well. Primarily canadian stocks.

I am hoping for a correction in Sept OCT i will buy these stocks.

Go look at it aee what you thinjk.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Too late for me already.

But @bart12 Introduced me to this group for passive investing.

There are all these high dividend yield ETFs and split share funds. They make money from issuing call warrants. They also have core holdings of very good stocks as well. Primarily canadian stocks.

I am hoping for a correction in Sept OCT i will buy these stocks.

Go look at it aee what you thinjk.

ETFs are a good option. But no funds for me because of their annual management fees and In/Out commissions. Back in 1999, I had bought S$500k of the Templeton Korea Fund and got out some 6 months later with a loss of about S$150k. Another time, my boss had asked me to buy the UOB Global Telecoms Fund (because he claimed that everyone is using handphones) and I bought S$60k of it, but some 20 years later, I liquidated at a loss of S$30k and they don't give any dividend at all. Anyway, all those are history and I've recovered these losses in the subsequent years from my own personal stock trading instead. When funds lose your money, they don't even say a word of sorry to you. At least when I lose money in my own stock picks, I'm answerable to myself.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I bought DFN.TO at 8.34 in June. 500. Pays $0.10 per share monthly dividends as long as NAV is above $15. Current NAV is around $17+. Meaning dividend is quite safe.

So far I have received 2 payouts of $50. So I am in the money already. I am trying it out.

Looks like price wise these typea of atocks dont move much.

There is also debate about ROC to meet dividends so is this ponzi?

Anyway I still watchig to see how.

Many bought theae split share funds and ETFs during the 2020 crisis and are all sitting on safe price rises and still earning high dividends.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
ETFs are a good option. But no funds for me because of their annual commissions and In/Out fees. Back in 1999, I had bought S$500k of the Templeton Korea Fund and got out some 6 months later with a loss of about S$150k. Another time, my boss had asked me to buy the UOB Global Telecoms Fund (because he claimed that everyone is using handphones) and I bought S$60k of it, but some 20 years later, I liquidated at a loss of S$30k and they don't give any dividend at all. Anyway, all those are history and I've recovered these losses in the subsequent years from my own personal stock trading instead. When funds lose your money, they don't even say a word of sorry to you. At least when I lose money in my own stock picks, I'm answerable to myself.
I agree

What about split share funds. I bet you never heard of them.

Pays $0.10 dividend monthly. $1.40 a year. It is unique to Canada.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree

What about split share funds. I bet you never heard of them.

Pays $0.10 dividend monthly. $1.40 a year. It is unique to Canada.
No. I only invest locally in the SGX bourse. Boring many will say, but I still managed to make S$87,854.41 during the last 15 months.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. Best to invest in what you know.

I was surprised to see poor performance of sg blue chips.

Can see why few people talk about sg stocks. Only property.
Regrettably, I had missed out on the privatization opportunities of Capitaland and SPH even though I had bought these shares last year. Otherwise, I could have made over S$100k from these 2 stocks with their privatization. As I've said before, I'm a short term trader nowadays.