• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Blue Chip Stocks performance

JackyCheung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many will say playing the US Markets is more exciting and profitable, but my opinion is it takes a brave heart to do so as you can win big but can also lose big as their daily trading price range is very volatile. Also, prices of their Blue Chips are very high to begin with. Take for example: APPLE at US$147.54, FACEBOOK at US$364.38, MICROSOFT at US$299.09, NETFLIX at US$550.12, AMAT at US$132.49, ASML at US$810.94, etc. And I don't go for CFDs and leveragings because these are even more volatile.

To buy 1 lot (1,000 shares) of AMAT will need a capital of US$132,490. Even if it goes up by US$1 within a trading day, one can only make US$1,000 excluding commissions, taxes and foreign exchange fluctuations. On the other hand, if I buy 100 lots (which I usually do on the local bourse) of say UMS (the indirect proxy of AMAT) for S$169,000, every upward movement of just S$0.01 can make me S$1,000 excluding commissions and taxes, but no foreign exchange risks. So, I'll still prefer to trade locally although I have to admit that it can be quite boring at times. So far since May 2020, I have already made a net S$87,854.41 from trading in the local bourse, which is not very exciting t
50 share of apple and 50 share of facebook still much more better than 1000 share of semb corp and 1000 share of singtel

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
can forget about STI, except bank shares and Reits. other are mostly rubbish.
heng, invest few years net net still earn around 100k...
now switch to Hk n us stock.
buy Etf is safer. SnP 500 etf yearly yield close to 10%-12% and nasdaq etf around 15-20%
and u dun need to worry which company goes wrong . the etf is always there.
u basically mention what i do. noob like me just buy ETF lol. statistically speaking will do better than those dunno what to do and cherry pick stocks (its basically gambling if you have no idea what you doing). finance not my full time job, no time to monitor lol...

I leave it to the professional to make money for me while i pay a bit.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 5.03.21 PM.png

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try finance data analysis and algorithm trading....

Data analysis for finance must learn and know the next big thing. Take courses and learn to code python for data analysis and algorithm trading...

I am in...

JackyCheung

Alfrescian
Loyal
u basically mention what i do. noob like me just buy ETF lol. statistically speaking will do better than those dunno what to do and cherry pick stocks (its basically gambling if you have no idea what you doing). finance not my full time job, no time to monitor lol...

I leave it to the professional to make money for me while i pay a bit.
etf also depend on what etf u buy. buy sti etf mainly just earn dividend, not much capital gain

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I just happened to check up on how some blue chip SG stocks are doing.

Singtel
SPH
Sembcorp Marine
Sembcorp
Keppel Corp
DBS
UOB
OCBC
Capitaland
SIA
SGX
SPH

It is quite surprising how poorly they are doing. Some are at the price levels during 2008 crisis. Many never move much from that price level.

So what have been the hot stocks in Singapore? Any? REITs?

Banks doing so so.

Not a good reflection of SG economy?

Anyone who invests in SIngapore stocks is an idiot.

There are much more lucrative opportunities elesewhere

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
etf also depend on what etf u buy. buy sti etf mainly just earn dividend, not much capital gain
i blur blur just buy from the robo platform cos i am a noob. I think they belongs more to capital gain as dividend really peanuts. Snp500, US REIT companies, mid cap size company in US, and all asia except japan market.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lucid "air" base model is priced at ..... ta da..... $69k. by the time you add features and other packages, it will be at least $80k. 300 miles with fast recharge in 20 minutes. only sedan model available for now. high barrier to overcum now that tesla is established. good looking though.
1630989720273.png

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tesla is pretty poor quality build. So there is an opening there.
their non-luxury sedan model 3 is horribly built. model s and x are ok. model y is a little wanting on the dashboard. if tiongs hate the model 3 it says a lot about the salability of the model 3 long term. however, tiongs and americans alike love the model y. the model y is selling well in prc now. makes sense as it's a compact suv.