• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singanews - Reporting "Mainstream Value"

vincenttan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no idea, just feel that too much Christianity is not good. Balance it off with some arabic scriptures. :smile:

Share this by DPM Teo, "Religion is a force for good and it's important that it does not become exclusive and that it reaches out to other groups and communities to build strong social cohesion." I guess this is Government's response.

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

[...]

5. Hence ultra defensiveness, response of Matthew Yap and answers which annoy the hell out of intelligent readers

Locke

Mr lockel

Since you are former devout christian then maybe you can answer this.

Mr Yap's name Is Mathew and not Matthew. Matthew, with the double T is a biblical name. Mathew, with only one T, is what?

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone know who is this guys with Mathew Yap?

3919239105_89fc3e476d_m.jpg

Found it here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13681710@N02/

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
with men, many things are impossible, just ask any civil servants in govt. depts...

with God, anything is possible, but according to His will for you....

so if you think that's His will for you, just make contact,

He'll make it happen man!

That's true POWER!!!!

you fucking gay ....if anything is possible with god , why work ? dont need to work just ask your fucking god to give you money ..( opps , he need your money every sunday :biggrin: ) .

yes , all the disaster in the world also created by your fuckin god . you carry your god balls hoping you will go heaven ? dream on ...

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I look at it this way. If non-Christians are trying to tempt Christians into unChristian practices like homosexuality, then the churches and Christian organisations should do something, and be entitled to their say. However, if it's churches and christian organisations trying to to whip the secular society in line with Christian values and practices, then I'd say that it's out of line, interfering with and imposing on other's personal and social lives. That's the impression that they're projecting now.

The tricky part is Christian gays.

If a regular church goer appears in the papers admitting his preferences and is a gay activist receiving similar publicity levels akin to Alex Au, Otto Fong or Hossan Leong, his church and/or pastor may (over)react even if the Christian gay does not spread the gay gospel in church.

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why only TOC was invited to Singnews soft launch. The comment by Thio Li-Ann was only a trick and TOC is probably supporting Singnews indirectly. Just see the kind of article they have about Singanews!

Found Andrew's Facebook account...

http://www.facebook.com/andrewong2024

pic.php

No wonder, take picture like brudders, he is from City Harvest Church. He is Kong Hee's Fans and into the Creative Communications too.

koKSia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everybody deserves a second chance, rem yellow ribbon, first chance was given to SInganews by TOC...maybe TOC not infiltrated but actually ish finally showing its true colors...

I think TOC Deputy Editor Terence Lee also a xtian and blogs too...anyone confirm?

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everybody deserves a second chance, rem yellow ribbon, first chance was given to SInganews by TOC...maybe TOC not infiltrated but actually ish finally showing its true colors...

I think TOC Deputy Editor Terence Lee also a xtian and blogs too...anyone confirm?

Ask and you shall receive! :smile:

http://irreligiously.blogspot.com/
n738232932_347820_9582.jpg

I WAS one of those born-and-raised Christian types who spent my childhood in Sunday School listening to Bible lessons.

My mom was the one that started it all. Born in Brunei but married to a Singaporean, her journey to the small island of Singapore proved to be a spiritual one as well.

She converted to Christianity, and started going to a local church. She brought along my brother and I, and started us on a path that would pretty much define our lives from then on.

And so I grew up, having always identified myself as a Christian. However, I didn't quite feel a sense of belonging in the Christian community, or anywhere else for that matter. I was shy and reclusive and I made few friends in school and in church.

Things started improving slightly once I entered junior college. I was determined to undo the mistakes of my past and shed away my old introverted shell. You cannot imagine my gladness then when a couple of my primary school classmates, who were in the same class as me in JC, remarked at how much I've changed.

"You used to be so quiet that no one will notice you in a room," said one of them.

City Harvest Church

Junior college also marked another milestone in my life -- that was when I started attending City Harvest Church. To use a popular catchphrase -- that was when I started becoming "on fire" for God. For those of you who don't know, CHC is a charismatic megachurch with a membership of 26,000 (as of January 2009), making it the largest congregation in Singapore.

It was in CHC where I started developing more confidence and self-esteem, thanks to the strong friendships I've built throughout the years in church. I started getting more involved in church work as well, first as a choir member, and then moving on to cell group ministry.

These past few years in the church have been what I call a "journey of self-discovery." One of the greatest lessons I've learnt so far is to accept myself for who I am.

I vividly remembered the day where I commited myself to serve God with my gift of writing. Basically, I realised that God has a plan and purpose for all of us, based on our own unique identity.

University days

It is this desire to write that propelled me towards enrolling in the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information in Nanyang Technological University. I thought that the best path for me to pursue my interest is to study journalism.

And what an eye-opening experience it has been indeed. I must admit, I had been encased in cocoon for too long. It didn't help that I was bombarded with nationalist propaganda for twelve years in the Singapore education system, with further reinforcement from the compulsory National Service in the Army which I did for two years.

Also, being in church all my life meant that I was constantly surrounded by "good people" who would always feed me with Bible doctrine.

University destroyed my naivety. While I won't say I've "experienced" much, I was given an intellectual kick-in-the-ass. I realised that the world isn't black and white, but many shades of grey. And there isn't any cut-and-dried solutions to real world problems.

With regards to God, it is a time where my faith is called into question. Doubts greeted me at every turn; in every textbook I study and in every assigned reading. Simple answers about God no longer satisfy me, and I was in need of something deeper, greater and more intellectually gratifying. But if there's something I've come to learn, it is this: true belief always begins with doubt.

It is only in questioning will we find the impetus to search out the answers. This thirst for knowledge is a never-ending quest; it is an itch that will forever be there for me to scratch.

So how do I describe my belief system right now? I see myself as a committed Christian, still as "on fire" as I was back then. However, that does not mean my mind is blind to everything else. Instead, I make it a point to constantly challege my own beliefs and those of others.

I foresee myself stepping on some toes pretty soon.

The itch to write

Right now, I'm still exploring my interests as a writer, and to that end I have already contributed articles for numerous Singaporean publications, including The Sunday Times, Mind Your Body, Journalism.sg, The Nanyang Chronicle, and My Paper.

This blog is an exploration of my intellectual interests in Christianity, religion and society. It is also a documentation of my faith journey. I hope you'll enjoy reading my blog as much as I love writing on it.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
With all these revelations, I am beginning to suspect, if you are not christian, you will not be selected for media jobs.

Meritocracy. Heh heh.

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just like FT helping another FT get jobs. The Christians are doing the same?

The below article said it all didn't it?

Former Aware president Josie Lau leaves DBS

By Alicia Wong, TODAY | Posted: 26 September 2009 0824 hrs

SINGAPORE: The former president of the Association of Women for Action and Research (Aware), Ms Josie Lau, has left DBS Bank and joined hospitality group Overseas Union Enterprise (OUE).

She is now vice-president for centre management at Mandarin Gallery, where she oversees operations and marketing for the new premier shopping mall, Weekend TODAY has learnt.

The 48-year-old was thrust into the limelight in March, when she became embroiled in a leadership tussle at Aware. Her decision to take on the role of president of the women's advocacy group earned her a public rebuke from DBS for ignoring its code of conduct.

At the time, she was DBS' head of marketing, cards and unsecured loans, becoming its vice-president for network planning and deployment in May prior to her resignation.

Ms Lau, who started her new job on Thursday, said she took it because it "allows me to leverage on all my past work experience and my love for fashion retail and marketing".

OUE chief executive Thio Gim Hock said Ms Lau had "expressed her desire to look for new pastures", and he felt she might be suitable for the post. "I asked her to send in her CV and forwarded (it) to the senior vice-president (of) leasing, who interviewed her."

Mr Thio is married to lawyer Thio Su Mien, who had encouraged Ms Lau to get involved in Aware. They attend the same church, but Ms Lau stressed her hiring was "based on my merit".

Likewise Mr Thio - who has known Ms Lau, "though not very well", for over 10 years - said: "It's easier and more desirable to employ people you already know ... Her getting the job was entirely due to her experience, qualification and personality."

Mr Thio also noted Ms Lau's "traumatic experience" during the Aware saga which included "having her employer threatening to sack her".

When contacted, a DBS spokesman said: "Ms Lau decided to leave DBS to pursue other opportunities. It was a personal decision, and we wish her the best in her new endeavours."

- TODAY/ir

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
so much funds, it feels like a big business. first they wanted to take over AWARE. now they wanna take over Straits Times.

i cant decide which is worse

Hahahahha your avatar is so vulgar? Why isn't your open mouth in the picture? :p:p:p

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
did u know that OUE is a public listed company on SGX controlled by the
Indonesian Lippo Group? now u know. the owners were indicted in 1996 by the US Court for illegal donations to the Democrats on behalf of the Christian Right