• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Siglap

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you know of Jalan Perindu? in Telok Kurau.

I believe you are referring to Jalan Buloh Perindu. Its along East Coast Road, just after the Frankel Avenue junction, if you heading towards Katong direction. I understand the old Cathay studios were around that area and not far from the old Jackie's Bowl Katong too.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe you are referring to Jalan Buloh Perindu. Its along East Coast Road, just after the Frankel Avenue junction, if you heading towards Katong direction. I understand the old Cathay studios were around that area and not far from the old Jackie's Bowl Katong too.

Oh Yes, thank you.

My old classmate used to live on that street. When he grew up, he bought a house near his parents.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, it is a Eurasian name. My former classmate was Edward Skadiang, who had an elder brother who was a runner, not sure if the brother represented Singapore, but surely he was a school runner.
I knew him, he was poor in study, repeated sec. 2

cheesecake

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Anyone remember the crazy but harmless guy who frequented Siglap along East Coast Road. He can often be seen guiding traffic and yelling at the top of his lungs.:smile:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My family used to live in Siglap, I was very young then.

The malay cemetery is still untouched. It was well known for as a princess was buried there and people would place offerings for lottery numbers. Neighbours around that area would complain of cars parking outside their homes at the wee hours of the morning. It is only a few years ago that a fence was erected around the perimeter so the number of unfamiliar cars have dwindled.

Coming from a school 10 mins walk from the cemetery, we schoolboys would ponteng from class and walked into the cemetery to smoke marijuana.. Stuff bought from a late Eurasian chap who used to stay Marine Parade..We would pick a corner of the cemetery and lit a thick roll and shared it among the 6 of us.. The caretaker of the cemetery was then a Malay man in his 60s.. Thankfully for us, he was related to one of the Malay boy in our group and would leave us alone..

Unfortunately for this particular Malay friend, he ignored the warnings of the caretaker not to enter the cemetery after 6 pm.. One evening this Malay friend went inside the cemetery with a few of his kakis for a quick puff.. They saw a Pontianak lurking on a tree and out they ran in shock.. My Malay friend didn't attend school for a week due to high fever..

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pontianak....orang minyak...polong...toyol.....all these used to scare me

One incident still fresh in my mind.. Happened around 7 years ago.. My then GF now wife spent the night at her cousin's house near to Siglap Ctr.. It was World Cup season then.. So her cousin's hubby invited me to his place to watch a live World Cup game.. I took the opportunity to test my newly bought Giant mountain bike and cycled from Tampines to Siglap.. After the game ended at 4 am, I cycled back to Tampines and it was drizzling lightly..

Was cycling at Woo Mun Chew Rd when I detected a really fragrant flowery smell.. Later I heard a dog howling but the dog was nowhere to be seen..:eek::eek::eek: A fellow cyclist then cycled besides me and told me to pedal fast because he too thought the smell was a bit suspicious..:eek: But the problem was I could not pedal fast because of the many Pizzas and beer that I had when watching the football game earlier..:o:o:o

Reached home I asked my Ah Ma.. My Ah Ma said any flowery smell during the night, it means a Pontianak is nearby..:eek:

cheesecake

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Despite staying near to Siglap I prefer going to Katong, more fun, girls and food, especially the backlanes opposite to Roxy.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
I took the opportunity to test my newly bought Giant mountain bike and cycled from Tampines to Siglap.. After the game ended at 4 am, I cycled back to Tampines and it was drizzling lightly..

Was cycling at Woo Mun Chew Rd when I detected a really fragrant flowery smell.. Later I heard a dog howling but the dog was nowhere to be seen..:eek::eek::eek: A fellow cyclist then cycled besides me and told me to pedal fast because he too thought the smell was a bit suspicious..:eek: But the problem was I could not pedal fast because of the many Pizzas and beer that I had when watching the football game earlier..:o:o:o

Reached home I asked my Ah Ma.. My Ah Ma said any flowery smell during the night, it means a Pontianak is nearby..:eek:

Don't scared. This area many households around Siglap that plant Frangipani trees in their gardens. And they are quite fragrant so this is what you may have smelt. As for the howling dogs, they are everywhere :-)

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Photo from Peter Tan "On a little street in Singapore- Facebook page"

I'm sure this brings back many happy memories of the old Ocean Cinema in Siglap

Attachments

• Ocean Cinema.jpg
    Ocean Cinema.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,004