• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Siglap

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
An familiar landmark from yesteryear - Siglap Market. Demolished to make way for the current Siglap Centre

Attachments

• 1986 Siglap Market.jpg
    1986 Siglap Market.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 2,169

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Similar angle of Siglap Market but photo taken in early 1960s. Siglap has certainty come a long way since then ....

Attachments

• 1963 Siglap Rd 3.jpg
    1963 Siglap Rd 3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2,165

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I feel your nostalgia but I am not familiar with that part of the island.

Old things and places are going away at an incredible speed on this island.
Even the most unlikely ones such as: an old low-rise condo, an old mall, an old office building in the CBD, shops in the HDB heartlands etc.

If you're free, explore the island a bit and take some pictures. It's not good to get overly attached to Singapore Inc., but everyone can do their little part to archive the past. You only need a camera phone and the Internet.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Close up view of Tong Hai Aquarium located at the junction of East Coast Road/Siglap Road. This is where the current Siglap McDonalds is. This photo was from 1963 and quite different from the Aquarium I remembered in the 1970s as it looked more "modern". Even then, they had upgrading :p

Attachments

• 1963 Tong Hai Aquarium.jpg
    1963 Tong Hai Aquarium.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,055

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel your nostalgia but I am not familiar with that part of the island.

Old things and places are going away at an incredible speed on this island.
Even the most unlikely ones such as: an old low-rise condo, an old mall, an old office building in the CBD, shops in the HDB heartlands etc.

Well said. What is seemingly part of today's normal landscape will be tomorrow's nostalgia ....

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last photo for tonight...Will post more if there is interest in Siglap.

Bus crashed into Siglap Market in 1979. I had forgotten all about the old Toto booth at the front of Siglap Market (in front of Aquarium) till I saw this photo. I used to wait nearby whilst my Mum bought Toto after her marketing. Thank goodness we were not standing there that morning. You can see the booth behind the bus.

Attachments

• 1979 Siglap Market Bus Crash.jpg
    1979 Siglap Market Bus Crash.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 2,116

masgnoeL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you have that photo whereby only one stall-holder held out in the centre of Siglap Market,
whereby all other stall-holders had accepted the compensation and left?

That photo was quite famous, as the stall was there for a long time, at least a year, I think.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. I remember reading about the hero. You can probably find the photo from National Archives. I remember seeing the photo with just 1 stall standing amongst the whole demolished area in a photo somewhere but don't have that in my file.

Do you have that photo whereby only one stall-holder held out in the centre of Siglap Market,
whereby all other stall-holders had accepted the compensation and left?

That photo was quite famous, as the stall was there for a long time, at least a year, I think.

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like Siglap. A very nice part of Singapore. Yet to be totally over-run by foreigners.

Siglap has always had its fair share of foreigners. In the 60s, it was the British Forces families right up to now where India Indian's have congregated in large numbers around the Siglap Centre area where there is a Global Indian School nearby and lots of Indian Restaurants have sprung up around this area.

The origin of the name Siglap came from the Malay word - "Si Gelap" which apparently means "The Dark One". Perhaps the early settlers knew what will happen one day i.e. invaded by Indians :p

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
An familiar landmark from yesteryear - Siglap Market. Demolished to make way for the current Siglap Centre

I used to train for my bike races up that hill. It was a pathetic climb but it was all I had at the time.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Similar angle of Siglap Market but photo taken in early 1960s. Siglap has certainty come a long way since then ....

hi there

1. bro, i so miss those good old days of the 60s and 70s.
2. only pics can hold on to such fond memories.
3. yes, i am some eastern kid!

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to train for my bike races up that hill. It was a pathetic climb but it was all I had at the time.

Which hill was that? Up Fidelio Street or Siglap Drive?

If you were around this area in the 60s (probably not) then you may remember the many hills that were demolished to fill in the sea as part of the Marine Parade reclamation. e.g. this hill formerly in Woo Mun Chew Road area (Upper East Coast Road)

Attachments

• 1963 Woo Mon Chew Rd Siglap Hill 340.jpg
    1963 Woo Mon Chew Rd Siglap Hill 340.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,957
Last edited:

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nice pictures Sir, I was at Siglap last night and was telling my friends about the whore house next to todays siglap center and few other history stuffs about the place.(I got all the Infos from here), They were impress with my history :biggrin:

Television

Alfrescian
Loyal
More of siglap pics please, I stayed there for years before moving out but later on in my late teens i came back but to work in F&b

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bro, tks for those pics.

Damn it! I was still a kid. Or else i would have taken some snap shots to show my children/gd children where daddy/grandpa WMI kampong houses were.

Keep those nostalgia pic coming ya..

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Siglap has always had its fair share of foreigners. In the 60s, it was the British Forces families right up to now where India Indian's have congregated in large numbers around the Siglap Centre area where there is a Global Indian School nearby and lots of Indian Restaurants have sprung up around this area.

The origin of the name Siglap came from the Malay word - "Si Gelap" which apparently means "The Dark One". Perhaps the early settlers knew what will happen one day i.e. invaded by Indians :p

There is still a Malay cemetery there. It is the only lot of land permitted to burn leaves openly and sometimes the smell of burnt leaves cover the area in the early morning.

Cheers!