• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sham Marriages - How to you know one??

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not difficult to prove a sham marriage. Get the couple down for an interview. Put themn in separate rooms. They can only clear the interview if they can answer intimate details of their partners. Getting their relatives and close friends down for an interview is another option. From my knowledge, no PIs involved.

Did not realize I need to have intimate details of my partner to get married or that if I don't know, the state can dissolve the marriage and charge me for entering into a sham marriage. I better read up on the bio data of my wife then!

AceFrehley

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Thursday March 28, 2013

More Singaporeans paid to enter phoney marriages

THE number of sham marriages has shot up, with most of them uncovered in the second half of last year.

Latest official figures show that there were 54 such marriages last year, about 10 times more than the previous year.

This is despite the passing of a law last August that criminalises such marriages and imposes tougher penalties that include jail time.

Often, the phoney nuptials involve a Singaporean being paid to marry a foreigner who wants to get a long-term visit pass or permanent residency.

Experts attribute the rise to the buoyant job market and the difficulty in obtaining citizenship.

But the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) has also stepped up enforcement. Most of those caught last year were a result of “intensified enforcement efforts”, the ICA said yesterday.

Issuing a stern warning, it said it “will not hesitate to take action against those who have submitted their applications under false representations, and have their immigration facilities revoked”.

The severity of the situation was highlighted by Second Minister for Home Affairs S. Iswaran last August when he introduced a Bill in Parliament to tighten the law against sham marriages. He had said an average of four or five cases were detected yearly from 2007 to 2011.

The number soared to 12 in the first six months of last year, an increase that was “probably symptomatic of a larger trend”, he added.

With the new law, the couples-in-crime, syndicate leaders and middlemen face up to 10 years behind bars and/or a fine of up to S$10,000 (RM25,000).

These harsher penalties apply to marriages registered on or after Dec 19, 2012.

Previously, taking part in a marriage of convenience was not a specific criminal offence. — The Straits Times / Asia News Network