• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SGP want kid's chinese name to be 8 character

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mixed-race baby's name cannot be registered under ICA rules

Letter from Ng Hui Ing and Damon Oliver Evans
04:45 AM Mar 19, 2012

MY HUSBAND and I are delighted to welcome our first baby into the world. However, the joy has been tainted by huge disappointment with the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA).

Due to ICA rules, and perhaps its data entry system, our preferred Chinese name for our baby boy cannot be registered.

My husband is English and I am a Singaporean Chinese. Hence according to tradition, our baby's full name consists of his first, middle and family names.

His Chinese name would be a translation according to the syllabic English pronunciation, which is common practice when translating English to Chinese names.

This has resulted in our baby having a eight-character Chinese name, which cannot be accommodated on his birth certificate.

The ICA ruling allows only for four characters which I strongly believe is quite rare for English-Chinese name translation, even if the middle name is dropped. We are faced with a dilemma. Do we compromise our baby's name and alter the family name?

Surely, this is an issue for other mixed-race couples, who are increasingly common in today's society.

Can the authorities find a solution? Perhaps an interim solution could be to handwrite the characters on the certificate as there is ample space.

Please help us as we should be free to name our child as we choose.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
During my primary school, got one friend we named him fucking dog and he happily accepted it as his name, no need 8 character wan

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least the kid has an ang mor dad. Can u imagine being named BECKHAM which is not even a first name

http://archive.mediacorptv.sg/ask_e_star/ask_lingling.asp

hi, Lingling. Why ever did you name your son Beckham? I know you like the player, but it`s kinda weird for your kid to go around with a name like that. Why not David? I mean, we all know that Dennis Bergkamp was named after Denis Law..... Anyway, luckily you didn`t name your kid Schmeichel or Scholes or Bosnich or Sheringham, *grin*. Anyway, could you teach him to appreciate better quality football than the English Premier League? All the best to you & your family.
posted by curious on 11/16/2000 8:57:23 PM

Lingling: I named my son "Beckham" because I think it's a unique name, and it also goes well with Shinan's surname "Wee". If my son wants to, yes, I will teach him to appreciate football. Thanks for the advice!

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Damon Oliver Evans - 戴蒙 奥利弗 埃文斯

This would be a fucko chinese name. Have pity on the kid when she has to write her chinese name during examinations.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lingling: I named my son "Beckham" because I think it's a unique name, and it also goes well with Shinan's surname "Wee". If my son wants to, yes, I will teach him to appreciate football. Thanks for the advice!

lucky for her son she didn't think 'fucking dog' is a unique name

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SPG created the problem and now want others to solve it for her. A typical Ang Mo mindset.

I know one SPG who thinks that she is Ang Mo just because she is married to one. As if big fuck and start to look down on others. I chanced upon her in hospital one day and she even called those patients in "B" and 'C' class, "Bull and Cow" class.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Typical yuppie parents, watch this.

[video=youtube;Xblh12XgQ4o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xblh12XgQ4o[/video]

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OH my fucking god 8 character chinese name! It's even longer than a japanese name! Who the fuck says they need to put down the middle name and both the parents last names?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually Manchurians have long characters name also, the famous 爱新觉罗·溥仪, but 咖你纳卜诶超鸡白 is longer LOL

Last edited:

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
This SPG xiao is it? If she want the son to have an Ang Mo name, just keep it that way. Chinese news articles translate ang mo names based on how it is pronounced because they DO NOT have a Chinese name to start with!

If she still want a Chinese name to be on the birth cert, she needs to first adopt a Chinese name for him.

FFS, just register the Ang Mo name will do lah, why make it difficult for others?

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Time for ICA to upgrade their system. With China coming up to become an economical powerhouse, soon you will have angmoh taking up Chinese translated names.

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have local chinese friends whose parents did not even register chinese names for them! Their primary school teacher had to choose the chinese names for them.