• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg Reddit] - Singaporeans are divided on and upset with PAP on "going endemic versus zero Covid"

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

level 1
Durian881

·2h·edited 2h

Mature Citizen
Big divide in opinions aside, MTF messed up by not getting prepared. With all the talk since July about living with Covid, home recovery, 1000 daily cases to be rite of passage, 3k daily cases coming soon, etc, MOH couldn't even handle 1000 daily cases! Home recovery was a mess and hospitals had to be locked down to visitors.
And the Minister can later come out to say that they were only prepared for 100-200 cases in the interim (while talking big about 1k cases, 3k cases, 1k ICU beds, etc).
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 2
mrwagga

·2h
Take My Energy

Mature Citizen
Indeed, this manufactured dichotomy misses the real problem here: the MTF fucked up.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 3
trashmaker

·1h

level 2

·1h

level 2
mantism

·50m·edited 32m

'I'm called shi ting not shitting'
agreed, the big issue is the ones in charge right now. I'm sure that for everyone, aside from the subset of people who directly benefit from the restrictions, the ultimate desire is to get this over with and get to the stage where we can treat COVID as the common flu. But we all have different ideas on how that should be done, and the usefulness of certain options.
what I think we need to do is to stop pointing fingers at ourselves (which we have been doing since this started - admittedly, me included) but at the task force instead. We can languish over what section of the population have what kind of opinions all we want, whether to blame unvaccinated folks when we are 80%+ vaccinated, or insist on a poll/referendum (laughable in Singapore), but that matters little if the ones at the top continue like this.
Vote
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 2
bourbunz

·2h·edited 2h

Two days ago was watching cna news, saying we were actually in the midst of 4 or 5 stages of reopening, BUT because of the recent spike they apparently inserted/added another stage, describing it as a "disruption". Whats the bluddy point of having any plans at this point. Wish I could find it but they're not reporting that anymore.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 2
Zantetsukenz

·2h

Big divide in opinions aside, MTF messed up by not getting prepared. With all the talk since July about living with Covid, home recovery, 1000 daily cases to be rite of passage, 3k daily cases coming soon, etc, MOH couldn't even handle 1000 daily cases!
hear hear. HEAR HEAR!!!!
Hospitals starting to be overburdened when we are only at 1/3 of their projected 3,000 daily cases. I wonder what happened?? /s
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 3
botsland

·1h·edited 1h

Mature Citizen
Probably because the virus spread faster than the projected model. There are no government in the world that have 100% perfect data and accurate projection
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 4
Zantetsukenz

·1h

The delta variant is not a new virus. It’s been with us for a while and we had countries like the US/UK to look at as reference point.
Easy to push the blame to a “model” instead of accepting that “you know what? I’m sorry I fucked up”.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 5
botsland

·1h·edited 34m

Mature Citizen
I think the government thought since Singapore was more vaccinated than the US/UK, opening up would probably be less risky as transmission would be lowered. Unfortunately while the vaccines reduced deaths and severe illnesses, it still couldn't fully prevent transmission due to Delta and thus cases rose faster than expected.
But the government can't openly blame the vaccines for not preventing transmission as effectively as they thought to avoid giving anti-vaxxers ammo
Edit: not an actual official reason for why cases rose faster than expected. Just speculating so take this with a grain of salt
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 6
InterTree391

·1h

My person opinion is also that our population density is also much higher than overseas (if they looked at countries averages as opposed to specific cities) so this together with the delta transmission rate make cases go up much quicker than anticipated (I also personally think that it should have been anticipated)
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 6
Zantetsukenz

·1h

It is known in the scientific world based on data that (1) efficacy rate against the delta variant is lower 50-60% based on my own reading (2) it’s been known since a long time that the mRNA vaccine doesn’t not provide sterilizing immunity.
I don’t know what you’re smoking. But you tried to push the mismanagement of the whole project to first a “model” and then now the “vaccine”.
I’ll have you know I’ve been a supporter of the ruling party through votes. But even I see their folly in the handling of this pandemic. Where’s the accountability? Or are you gonna find something new to export the responsibility to?
It’s the model. It’s the vaccine. It’s the old people not wearing masks properly. It’s the weather. It’s god. It’s the butterfly which flapped its wings. It’s not the PAP. It is not my responsibility. Not my problem. End of story.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 7
botsland

·48m·edited 44m

Mature Citizen
Well honestly I don't know and I won't pretend to know because I'm not a medical professional. I'm just basing on the news that they released. They seemed to have a model but it was clearly wrong.
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ected-but-serious-infections-rising-at-slower
"Mr Ong had said at a press conference on Sept 10 that the number of daily cases could double every 10 days. However, infections have risen faster than that.
On Sept 6, there were 215 new community cases. But on Sept 16, 10 days later, there were 803 such infections - nearly four times as many."
"But Delta (variant) is just very infectious... so it is now doubling every seven days."
Where’s the accountability? Or are you gonna find something new to export the responsibility to?
At this point it sounds like you want a scapegoat to blame and turn all your anger towards which is understandable. You can blame the PAP government, they weren't transparent enough with the data and projected model and this clearly backfired on them
Vote
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 1
Iamrandom17

·3h

i think right now what a lot of people are angry about is not that we aren’t opening up enough but how we were unprepared to open up and because of that we have to take a step backwards
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 2
alex08123

OP·3h

a lot of people are angry about is not that we aren’t opening up enough
No I think most of us here were content when it was said the 5-ppl cap relaxed measures would remain frozen as it is, regardless of a spike in case numbers.
What people are angry about is this flip-flopping of policies the moment case numbers rose, which was OBVIOUSLY TO BE EXPECTED
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 3
botsland

·1h

Mature Citizen
No I think most of us here were content when it was said the 5-ppl cap relaxed measures would remain frozen as it is
Definitely not. Most redditors here were complaining about why Singapore was not opening up further like Denmark
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 3
ShadeX8

·2h

You weren’t here when people here were en-masse screaming that we should full open and get it over with? That was from the start of the 5 person cap.
Can’t please everyone.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 4
hosehliao

·1h

Ah yes, create a strawman when you can't argue with facts.
There are as many people "en-masse screaming that we should full open" as there are people on this sub "en-masse screaming that we should go back into full Circuit Breaker lockdown".
Most people wanted something in the middle, it's just a matter of what you define as "middle".
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 5
ShadeX8

·25m

Didn’t realize I was in an argument.
And really?
most of us here were content when it was said the 5-ppl cap relaxed measures would remain frozen as it is
Was that really the general mood on the sub? Cause I’m replying to this point.
There are as many people… … "en-masse screaming that we should go back into full Circuit Breaker lockdown".
Who’s the one creating their own reality here then? We’re not facebook my dude.
Edit: don’t try to see arguments where there isn’t any, my dude. Using debate bro terminology in a normal exchange of words is cringe af

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those clowns keep on letting in ceca,they dumb they tot this covid can be detected wat they Don know is many are host for covid that wh, mass spread, those clowns are dumb

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Endemic or zero, the restrictions and surveillance will continue. Enjoy the new normal. :cool:

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The dining restrictions will return to 2 per restaurant dine-in for the vaccinated and 2 per kopitiam-hawker dine-in regardless of vaccination.

I wonder the recent spike had anything to do with the previous decision to allow 5 vaccinated to dine together in restaurants. Before that, even with vaccination hovering around 60% the infected ones were less than 50 per day.

If the number goes down in the next four weeks as a result of the new dining restrictions, then we can conclude that it's the decision to allow 5 vaccinated customers to dine together that was the cause of the spike.