• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg Reddit] - Discussion on the term 'SJW' triggered by the WP saga

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

level 2
souna313313

·5 hr. ago

It has made SJW politics irrelevant to the mainstream for the foreseeable future. As much as I'm glad to see this happen, I think the damage to WP's credibility is too high a price to pay.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 3
SuperDildoPrime

·5 hr. ago

I hate the term 'SJW' so much, The issues they bring up are very often legitimate and real problems for minorities and women that otherwise get buried. It's just that like so many other groups, it's the worst examples among them that get amplified and drown out the legitimate discussions.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 4
souna313313

·4 hr. ago

The issues they bring up are very often legitimate and real problems for minorities and women that otherwise get buried. It's just that like so many other groups, it's the worst examples among them that get amplified and drown out the legitimate discussions.
Wrong.
I have no quarrel with old school progressive leftists. In fact, I welcome them. They were the types who spearheaded the Civil Rights movement and promoted incremental adjustments aimed at increasing societal harmony and justice. They were all about encouraging dialogue and debate, and frame policy based on history and reason.
The SJWs in regressive leftism are all about 'The Narrative'. You can call it a perversion of Marx's dialectical materialism, whatever. Everything can be sacrificed upon the altar of The Narrative as long as it serves the greater good. Proper dialogue is silenced. Sudden, heavy-handed moves are OK. Even the truth can be sacrificed. What RK did was classic SJW hogwash and we need none of that horseshit in mainstream politics here.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 5
distroyaar

·2 hr. ago

Lao Jiao
Lol what are you talking about. What you just mentioned as a 'playbook' on the narrative can be applied to any political leaning. Just because a portion of extreme left wing politics practices it doesn't mean it is exclusive to it or was developed by it. Right wing politicians throw out 'narratives' all the time ignoring facts and silencing criticism as much as they can. Easiest way they do it is by labeling anything they don't agree with as woke or SJW.
I think that's more a symptom of the rise of the internet and social media, getting your narrative out there gets you easy support for your ideas and is the lowest hanging fruit.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 4
sec5

·3 hr. ago·edited 2 hr. ago

How is RK bringing her negative rape and racist experience from her school days in Australia, superimposing it onto the sg police, in Parliment, lying about it and claiming that the police were victim bullying her and her imaginary friend considered 'legitimate and real problems for minorities and women' in Singapore ?
The real problem is transplanting in non-existent western problems via SJWs like these, and then using it as a platform to knock on established solutions in Singapore.
For this I'm glad the SJW term and it's adherents are being forced out of the political space.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 5
SuperDildoPrime

·3 hr. ago·edited 3 hr. ago

Your whole answer is precisely what I'm ranting about. At no point did I say RK's story was 'legitimate and real problems for minorities and women'. I am saying that others in the so-called 'SJW' groups are trying to invoke conversations about important topics that affect others who are not like us and that it is disingenuous fixate on the miscreants like RK to label all and outright dismissing other arguments.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 4
ShadeX8

·4 hr. ago

You shouldn't hate the term; you should hate the people that justifies the usage of the term.
Legitimate issues get buried under drama and overly loud outrage by these people, and more often than not, their over-zealousness just pushes others away from looking at these issues as is.
When all the moderate people see is drama, they are just going to look away.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 5
SuperDildoPrime

·4 hr. ago

And this is what I mean though, the overly loud people are the minority, but the opponents of the issues fixate on this very minority as representation for the larger group. Thew very people who throw around the term SJW as a term for people who raise qustions they don't like
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 6
ShadeX8

·4 hr. ago

I get what you mean, but unfortunately, the overly loud people are also the ones that will have wider reach and attention.
We can't really blame the general public for being biased against the group advocating for something, when all the prominent things they have seen from it is negative or drama.
It will be up to the group to excise the cancerous people from their community, but sometimes that is really hard to do due to a variety of reasons.
It's a tough problem to be sure.