• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - A Singaporean Chinese who can't speak Chinese, feels he's being unfairly discriminated against

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

A couple of non-Chinese weigh in with their opinions :

Plastic-Oven19Secondary 12 points 10 hours ago
It’s really awful that this is happening to you but unfortunately the only thing you can really do is toughen up and ignore them. If you can tell them off (depends on who it is ofc, telling off certain people will lead to more harm than good) say “stop bullying me”, usually when people hear that word they back track and say “I didn’t mean it that way / I wasn’t bullying you, just concerned etc.” And they won’t do it again…unless if they are jerks in which case you should report/ignore them.
However I do have to tell you that it’s going to be hard. As a non-Chinese person I can tell you, people use a lot of Chinese. It’s actually the reason why I don’t sign up for part time jobs anymore Even in social settings, when you’re going out with a group of friends, people tend to subconsciously speak in Chinese or make jokes in Chinese. Oh and ordering food will be a pain unless you bring a Chinese friend along.
I presume it would be worse for you because I can at least ask people to explain themselves or translate for me and they can take one look at me and know I’m not Chinese. People also make an effort to talk in English when they see me, that won’t be the case for you. You have to be prepared to face all this.
But otherwise I doubt you will have any huge disadvantage, there are other race people in Singapore who are living out their lives well enough without Chinese, it’s a good thing to know but it isn’t vital to survive like some other comments here seem to suggest. If you’d like to try to learn Chinese pls do, take your time with it and no need to be on par with everyone else. But if you really don’t want to it’s okay.

[–]geraniumsgenius 9 points 8 hours ago
I am a Tamil and I feel disadvantaged while searching for part-time jobs for not knowing Chinese. So I guess Chinese really is important in the workforce? At last my manager agreed to put me together with someone Chinese to help me out.
My personal opinion (you don't have to agree):
I would definitely recommend improving your Chinese, maybe u are "not good" at it because you hate your own language (identity). Try to connect with your own ancestral roots and maybe u feel more attached to Chinese? On a practical note, Chinese is really important (coming from a non-Chinese loll). But again you are not "inferior" or anything because all these people commented at you, nothing changes your self-worth other than yourself. Not Chinese not English not even maths and science loll.
Personally, I feel that mother tongue is my identity and can't imagine losing it to the "colonial language". But on a practical level, English and Chinese (In Singapore at least) seems really important. I speak my mother tongue at home and will not let my future kids to forgo Tamil under any circumstances. Tamil to me (and most other Tamils lol) is very important. Again that's my perspective you don't have to feel the same way.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bastard LKY was anti Chinese language where his family was anti Chinese too.

Schools didn't teach Chinese well becos LKY was afraid of the fucking bully BE.

Blame bastardized BE the imperialist bastard race...

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I was in 5 eye I fucked the China Chinese cant speak England and why come here.

In China I fucked the native Chinese can't speak English want 外国生意...

Both ways I win...

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cant stand this English helicopter garbage who thinks they are more high SES than the Hokkien Low SES Towkay.

Asked them to F-off to 5-eyes cuntries, I am sure they will be welcomed like long lost cousins LOL.

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Are you not ashamed that after years of a bilingual education you still can't speak your own mother tongue?​

1641059193066.png

https://shrtcô.de/iVCbz

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a slow take over process like try did in taiwan.
First they come as skilled labourers and prostitutes.
Then they invite their relatives and village friends over like CECA currently doing.
Then they restrict natives from jobs by impos8ng mandarin only policy.
Soon, they will say the island belongs to China like what taiwan went through.
Immigrants should assimilate native culture if they want to remain independent of China.. Like chinese in Indonesia and Thailand.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i refuse to speak mandarin in sg as mandarin is not a true chink language. it’s a bastardized northeast (dongbei) manchu tongue. i speak dialects in sg mixed with a splattering of malay and singlish. every local (native) in sg understands me, and they appreciate it when i speak street lingo to them, including ordinary folks working at the airport and gov offices.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i refuse to speak mandarin in sg as mandarin is not a true chink language. it’s a bastardized northeast (dongbei) manchu tongue. i speak dialects in sg mixed with a splattering of malay and singlish. every local (native) in sg understands me, and they appreciate it when i speak street lingo to them, including ordinary folks working at the airport and gov offices.

Mandarin is a mix of the original Beijing + Nanjing Wu + Manchu languages. Sinkies like their rojak languages, unique SG culture.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mandarin is a mix of the original Beijing + Nanjing Wu + Manchu languages. Sinkies like their rojak languages, unique SG culture.
So basically it's a language that has nothing to do with Southern Tiongs. So nothing wrong is southern tiongs don't speak a bastardised Manchu language bought upon by a foreign conquerer. The ChiCons kick up a big fuss about Christmas which is A religious festival, n claim is foreign influence. N the 2 biggest things the ChiCons promote is foreign ideology. Communism n mandarin. Which is just proof that the ChiCons and their minions are scums of the earth n no better than parasites

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it’s a good sign that sinkies still treasure their rojak lingo. celebrate the uniqueness rather than trash it. it’s part and parcel of the sinkie identity. the moment sinkies all speak mandarin, it’s the end of sg. may as well becum a province of prc and the despicable and hated ccp who worships a european amdk ideology (marxism).

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaking mandarin is akin to collaborating with the Manchu invaders and endorsing their rules and policies. Remember how the Manchus ill treated the Tiongs...

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
it’s a good sign that sinkies still treasure their rojak lingo. celebrate the uniqueness rather than trash it. it’s part and parcel of the sinkie identity. the moment sinkies all speak mandarin, it’s the end of sg. may as well becum a province of prc and the despicable and hated ccp who worships a european amdk ideology (marxism).
Some of us treasure the rojak, but to my disappointment quite a lot don't. I remember having a discussion here with someone here who was determined that his mother tongue was Mandarin. I can only hope Mandarin gets trashed for good.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaking mandarin is akin to collaborating with the Manchu invaders and endorsing their rules and policies. Remember how the Manchus ill treated the Tiongs...

older HK movies of a certain era the bad guy was always a Qing Manchu. After some time it changed to the angmoh or as you prefer gweilo. As I've mentioned to you before, the truth about China is complex and interesting. Short answer is reject Mandarin unless you're a turncoat and love the Aisin Gioro or Genghis and think they're the true Chinese.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So basically it's a language that has nothing to do with Southern Tiongs. So nothing wrong is southern tiongs don't speak a bastardised Manchu language bought upon by a foreign conquerer. The ChiCons kick up a big fuss about Christmas which is A religious festival, n claim is foreign influence. N the 2 biggest things the ChiCons promote is foreign ideology. Communism n mandarin. Which is just proof that the ChiCons and their minions are scums of the earth n no better than parasites

the Chinese languages had all evolved over time. the Southern people gradually came from the North back then. today Southern languages like Cantonese or Hokkien are much different from the original ones during the dynastic periods. it is said the Manchu language is much different from today Beijing Mandarin.