• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sense of Entitlement incidents

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal

Jade Seah calls out ‘self-entitled behaviour’ after getting note on windshield for parking in private estate​

hzseah230323_3.jpg

Jade Seah shared that she felt strongly about how “home owners bully others into submission”, as this was not an isolated incident. PHOTOS: JADE SEAH/INSTAGRAM
Suzanne Sng

Mar 23, 2023

SINGAPORE – Local host Jade Seah has taken to Instagram to call out what she deemed “self-entitled behaviour”, after finding a note on her car’s windshield asking her not to park along the road in a private estate.
Posting on Instagram Stories on Tuesday, the 39-year-old shared a photo of the handwritten note, which read: “Please do not park here. Let those who stay here, park here. Thank you.”
Seah wrote: “I found this placed on the windshield of my car, which I had taken care to park legally along a road with no line markings, and not obstructing anyone’s front gate nor traffic.”
“When you own landed property, you own the land you paid for. That usually includes your house; and some people choose to have swimming pools, gardens and parking spaces. You do not own the land outside your house. That is public property that anyone is at liberty to park at; and that includes vans, lorries, motorbikes and other cars,” she added.
“With all due respect though, sir/madam (and also to all other home owners who think you have priority or rights to the space in front of your house), I’m here to educate you that that is public space, and you have neither rights nor priority to make this request.”
The media personality shared that she felt strongly about how “home owners bully others into submission” as this was not an isolated incident. “My brother drives a van and he is afraid to park in roads where he has either been warned by home owners or has had his vehicle scratched. I have myself had tyres slashed as well as front bonnet scratched with a huge Z.”

She added that she has since installed both front and rear cameras in her car. She also recalled an encounter with an aggressive home owner who had shouted at her for parking in what she called “her lot”.

“Hate to say it, but full disclosure: I too have been afraid to park there since, and have not,” she said.
She concluded by asking her followers: “Does anyone else have the same feelings and is there something more we can do to educate and stop this sort of bullying, self-entitled behaviour?”
she is old alreay not pretty any more

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sim Ann clarifies incident at Esplanade after allegations she had disrespected artistes​

dw-simann-230329.jpg

Ms Sim said it was not her intent to convey any disregard for the performers on stage and the audience. PHOTO: SIM ANN/FACEBOOK
ds15042021_0.png

David Sun
Correspondent

Mar 30, 2023

SINGAPORE - The entrance of a guest of honour in the middle of a music performance has drawn criticism from several netizens and those in the music community.
During the WWF Earth Hour Festival at Esplanade event on March 25, Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs and National Development Sim Ann was led to the front row to take her seat in the midst of an acoustic set at the Esplanade Outdoor Theatre.
Videos and photos of the incident posted on social media show her being introduced to and greeting other attendees in the reserved seats at the front row, while a singer was performing metres away on the stage.
The incident sparked criticism online, with some saying Ms Sim’s actions were disrespectful of the artistes.
Ms Sim has since reached out to the artistes to clarify the matter.
The event, co-organised by WWF-Singapore and Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay, involved a Switch Off, when the Singapore skyline went dark for an hour in support of Earth Hour at 8.30pm.
This happened just after the Soul Jam event, a free performance showcasing artistes from local music collective Panik Records.

Ms Sim was led to her seat at about 8.10pm while Benny’s – the stage name of singer-songwriter Bernice Lee, 22 – was performing an acoustic song.
Mr Ian Lee, 24, the founder of Panik Records, said Benny’s had been very affected by the incident but is coming to terms with what happened.
“When it happened, Bernice had been performing a song that she wrote and was being very vulnerable,” he said. “It was quite a blow for her because it was very undermining.”

Mr Lee said Ms Sim was standing at the front row to shake hands with other attendees, and had blocked the view of some other guests as the stage was quite low.
He added that several audience members appeared to be upset, with someone at the back shouting at Ms Sim to sit down.
simann2edit.png

Posts of the incident on social media show Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs and National Development Sim Ann shaking hands and greeting other attendees during a singer's performance. PHOTO: @DANIELALEXCHIA/INSTAGRAM
Mr Yun Taehyeong, 24, a student from South Korea, told The Straits Times that Benny’s appeared visibly affected by the disruption.
Noting that he was watching the performance next to where Ms Sim was to be seated, he said: “As (Ms Sim) arrived at her seat, there was quite a lot of activity and noise with all the handshaking, greetings, and camera shutters and flashes from the photographers following her around.
“It was a relatively quiet acoustic performance and given how close the front row of the outdoor theatre is to the stage, I’m pretty sure the disruption would have been very obvious to everyone present.”
Describing the incident as disappointing, Mr Yun added: “I feel that both audience and performer were disrespected.
“The performance was already ending, and it is difficult to think of why they could not simply wait for a few minutes for the performance to be over, or even just do the entire sequence at a less disruptive location.”
The incident was also shared on social media by blogger mrbrown.

It was also alleged that Ms Sim had turned up late to the event.
In response to queries from ST, WWF-Singapore and Esplanade issued a joint statement saying Ms Sim had been invited for the Switch Off ceremony at 8.15pm, and she had arrived early.
“Ms Sim arrived early, and because the Esplanade Outdoor Theatre is a free-and-easy venue where audiences can enter or exit the auditorium at any time, the WWF-Singapore and Esplanade teams ushered her to join the rest of the audience to catch part of the performance, which was still ongoing,” it said.
“Upon her arrival at the seat, some members of the audience rose to greet her. We would like to emphasise that there was no intention of disrespecting the artistes, performers or audience, and we regret any disruption that we may have inadvertently caused.”
Ms Sim said she was glad that WWF-Singapore and Esplanade had provided an explanation for the incident.
She said she had followed the cue of the organisers on when to enter the event space, and was greeting guests who were being introduced to her.
“It was certainly not my intent for the timing and manner of my entry to convey any disregard for the performers on stage and the audience,” added Ms Sim.
“Having seen the social media posts on the subject, I reached out to the artists involved to clarify the matter directly, and told them I was sorry that things turned out this way.”
“I have also learned something valuable from the incident. I wish them continued success in their musical endeavours.”
Mr Lee said Benny’s has said she is looking to move on from the incident.
“She just wishes to express that in a time such as now to be creating art in Singapore, the most important thing we should be looking forward to is cherishing and respecting of all forms of art and expression,” he added.
“She’s also extremely thankful for the incredible support the community has for this part of our lives we hold so sacred.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

‘Do you know how many units I have?’: Sin Ming condo resident rails at security guard after car is clamped​

hzclamp090423_1.jpg

The man yelled at the security guard even after it was explained to him that his vehicle had been parked illegally. PHOTOS: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS READER

Apr 9, 2023

SINGAPORE – Angry that his luxury car had been clamped, a man rages at a security guard at a condominium in Sin Ming Road.
“Do you know how many units I have here?” the man yelled at the guard, even after it was explained to him that his vehicle had been parked illegally.
The incident occurred on April 3, reported Chinese-language newspaper Shin Min Daily News.
A video of the scene was reportedly recorded by the man and shared in a group chat with other condominium residents, one of whom sent the video to Shin Min.
Shin Min said that in the video, the man could be heard asking for the wheel clamp to be removed.
He was also heard in the video allegedly saying: “My son ends school at 1.30pm and there are people like you. I can’t fetch my son. You are only interested in embarrassing people.
“You people like to embarrass others. You are sick. You are so poor, you’d rather die.”

The female resident who sent the video, who asked not to be named, told Shin Min: “Many of us (in the group chat) feel that the security guard is just doing his job, and that he (the male resident) does not need to speak ill of him.”
Responding to the incident, the Union of Security Employees condemned the act of abuse and said it would be in touch with the guard to help him with lodging a police report.
In a Facebook post on Sunday, the union said it was “appalled to learn of yet another incident of an officer being abused whilst performing his duty”.
“Under the amendments to the Private Security Industry Act which came into force in May 2022, there are now enhanced penalties for offences by persons who intentionally cause harassment, alarm or distress, assault or use criminal force on and voluntarily cause hurt to security officers,” it added.
The police said they received a call for assistance at about 1.10pm on April 3. No injuries were reported, and the parties involved were advised on their legal recourse.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Should regular-size i.e., normal, passengers subsidized obese passengers?

Should plus-size travellers get an extra seat on the plane?​

Around the world, waistlines are expanding as airline seats shrink. But clear and compassionate regulations can help larger travellers avoid discomfort and embarrassment.​

claralock.png

Clara Lock
Travel Correspondent
afplane280423_0.jpg

Some plus-size travellers are calling for airlines to offer them an extra seat free of charge. PHOTO: UNSPLASH

Apr 30, 2023

Even at the best of times, flying can be painful. Your neck aches from lolling sideways while you doze, your knees hurt after being bent at 90 degrees for too long and a dull ache is spreading across your lower back.
Now imagine enduring all that as a plus-size traveller. The discomfort and indignity prompted a plus-size woman from the United States to petition airlines to provide larger travellers with an extra seat free of charge. Unsurprisingly, her campaign sparked headlines and heated debates.
Around the world, airline seats are shrinking even as people are getting larger. FlyersRights, a US-based not-for-profit organisation, found that the width of airplane seats has shrunk by about 5cm over the past few decades. The pitch, an industry measure of legroom, has been reduced by about 5cm to 13cm.
Meanwhile, worldwide obesity has nearly tripled since 1975. About 39 per cent of adults are overweight, with a third of them obese, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO). Singapore fares better, with the obesity rate at 10.5 per cent in 2020, though this is the country’s highest in a decade.
Currently, many airlines including Scoot, United Airlines and British Airways require plus-size passengers to purchase an additional seat. Canada-based airlines such as Air Canada and WestJet are an exception, after a 2008 court ruling required them to provide more than one seat to severely obese travellers or disabled people who need an attendant seated with them.
In general, airline websites state that passengers who cannot lower the armrests or fit comfortably into one seat are expected to purchase an extra one.
“Failure to do so may result in you being denied transportation,” states budget carrier Scoot on its website.

Fairer rules across the board​

Are the current rules fair? Some think not. Advocacy groups such as The Obesity Collective from Australia are now calling for industrywide regulations that do not discriminate against guests of size.
They posit that obesity is not a lifestyle choice but a disease – a stance shared by bodies such as the WHO and the American Medical Association, even if some medical experts disagree.
Their main ask is a clearer definition of what constitutes a guest of size. For instance, airlines generally provide their seat width and pitch on their websites but few offer up the length of their seat belt and extender, if the latter is offered.
And what constitutes fitting comfortably into one’s seat? Often, it comes down to a judgment call. If the passenger in the next seat says nothing, flight crew are less likely to intervene.
But what if a passenger genuinely requires more room? Offering them an extra seat would drive up costs for all passengers, though perhaps not as much as one might expect.
In 2008, the Council of Canadians with Disabilities estimated that the new “one-person, one-fare” policy would cost Air Canada about US$6.93 million (S$9.26 million) a year, or an extra 77 Canadian cents (75 Singapore cents) a ticket.

A more inclusive society​

So would you pay an extra 75 cents for each flight ticket in order for larger folks to enjoy a more comfortable flight?
It is a small amount compared to what we shell out for airport or tourism taxes, but realistically, nobody likes a fare hike. Detractors say it is a slippery slope. What else might the majority of passengers be called upon to subsidise? Taller people might point out that they stump up for the exit row, likewise parents for a bassinet seat.
A more compassionate approach is to consider inclusivity.
dw-plus-illus-230429_0.jpg

ST ILLUSTRATION: MANNY FRANCISCO
In recent years, there has been a growing call for disability inclusion, including sensitivity to the intellectually disabled. The Singapore Land Transport Authority’s yellow sticker campaign encourages passengers to offer a seat to those with less visible health conditions, such as people going through cancer treatment.
As a nation, we accept that more of our taxpayer dollars will go to healthcare spending in the years ahead. But obesity remains an outlier.
“It’s one of the few conditions that people still feel OK to mock. People assume you’re fat because you have no discipline or willpower,” says S, who is in his 30s and weighs around 117 kg.
Medical research has found that factors such as medication, hormonal imbalances and genetics can all contribute to obesity. Larger folk know this. But it doesn’t take the sting out of dirty looks from other travellers, or those who outrightly ask flight crew for a change of seat.
To ease potential embarrassment, some plus-size travellers bring their own seat belt extenders, or drink as little as they can during the flight to minimise restroom trips.
Many do their best to reduce inconvenience to seat mates, even at the expense of their own comfort. On a flight from Singapore to Istanbul recently, I sat beside a large man who, despite being in the dreaded middle seat, determinedly avoided using the armrests throughout the 11-hour journey.

Creative and compassionate solutions​

In her book, You Just Need To Lose Weight And 19 Other Myths About Fat People, author and activist Aubrey Gordon talks about navigating the maze of airline policies that determines whether or not she will be allowed to fly, an additional source of travel stress.
In a competitive aviation landscape, companies that can offer a sweeter deal to large travellers might find themselves rewarded by customer loyalty.
In North America, US-based Southwest Airlines has garnered a reputation as having one of the most forgiving policies. Plus-sized travellers have the option to purchase two seats and can get a refund on the additional seat after their flight. According to its website, the airline will grant the refund even if the flight was oversold. Alaska Airlines has a similar policy, but will refund the additional seat only if the flight was not full.
Singapore Airlines staff will, at no cost, shift larger passengers so they have an empty seat next to them as long as one is available on the flight. This applies to travellers who are “unable to be seated without impacting their own safety or those around them”, though the airline did not state how this is defined.
20201024648633754d0b4f53-3da9-48a2-ae56-3cfe9aa90b76_0.jpg

SIA staff will shift larger passengers so they have an empty seat next to them as long as one is available on the flight. PHOTO: ST FILE
Companies do not need to give extra seats away for free – the middle ground is charging a lower price. KLM, for instance, offers a 25 per cent discount to guests of size for their second seat.
Larger seats, costing more, could be demarcated in a “comfort zone” section of the plane, similar to the Scoot-in-silence quiet cabin that the budget airline reserves for those aged 12 and up.
Airlines might reserve exit row seats for those with larger-than-usual measurements, be they plus-size or tall passengers. And if flights are not full, check-in agents could, upon request, offer to block out a free seat next to larger folks.
Airlines, of course, must weigh the commercial viability of such decisions. But I believe some responsibility lies with the non-plus-size majority to make the journey easier for larger folks.
One might groan inwardly if the baby seated next to you begins to wail, but it is poor form to express frustration to the desperately exhausted parents.

Similarly, it is no picnic to be assigned a seat next to someone large. But the kindest approach is to grin and bear it, keep snarky thoughts private and if necessary, request politely that you both try to keep within the armrests. The flight will be over in a matter of hours, but any hostility you express might stay with them for much longer.
In the past few decades, the democratisation of air travel has given us cheaper flights and more routes. Travellers and airlines should take reasonable measures to ensure that everyone can fly comfortably and without discrimination.
S, from earlier, says: “We have to be realistic about how other people will relate to us, but I hope this won’t discourage overweight people from seeing the world.”