• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Seafood] - Best Chilli & Pepper Crabs in Singapore? Jumbo vs Long Beach

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last month went to a couple of places to eat crabs. Is it just me or the crabs bo ho jiak liao? Bland and not 鲜 :(

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Best Pepper Crab for me is House of Seafood at Joo Chiat

HouseOfSeafood_0_0.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Having eaten crab all over in the course of my traveling I still find our Singapore pepper and chili crab the best. The other that I really like is Thanh Long's roasted crab with spaghetti (noodles) in San Francisco (Judah Street), will definitely dine there whenever I'm in SF, the flavor and taste is something difficult to explain.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Having eaten crab all over in the course of my traveling I still find our Singapore pepper and chili crab the best. The other that I really like is Thanh Long's roasted crab with spaghetti (noodles) in San Francisco (Judah Street), will definitely dine there whenever I'm in SF, the flavor and taste is something difficult to explain.

it's the dungeness crab, unique to the west coast on the pacific between northern california and oregon. plus viet treatment to the dungeness with herbs, butter, roasted garlic, and parmesan cheese. if you need the recipe, i can post it here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was at Long Beach at Dempsey last night

Drunken prawns

Steamed scallops with garlic

Must try - sambal tou-miao vege

Their legendary chili crab

Must try - ying-yang hor-fan with la-la (half hor-fan crispy half normal)

Looks good right? Its very very delicious, must order dish.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I find both Jumbo and Long Beach equally good.

I can't help but compare them to Choon Seng when they were still at Punggol (end of Punggol Rd). The no frills environment, sea breeze, SBS buses making 3-point-turns next to your table, cats and dogs all about, made their crabs and other seafood dishes very unforgettable. The best I have tasted.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
For me Dempsey is near home, lots of parking and free (that's when I used to drive) most of all I know most of the managers in Long Beach as I've been following them since Marina South time, it's like going home :biggrin: but most important the food is great.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cannot afford Long Beach, Short Beach, No Beach, Jumbo or Mumbo Jumbo...fortunately, PAP cares for poor people like me ...so with my GST rebate, I can afford Prima Chilli Crab spices ...catch crab in Punggol...add more ketchup and chilli ....walla, home-made chilli crab. Very, very cheap to eat chilli crab like that.

steveaustin316

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot afford Long Beach, Short Beach, No Beach, Jumbo or Mumbo Jumbo...fortunately, PAP cares for poor people like me ...so with my GST rebate, I can afford Prima Chilli Crab spices ...catch crab in Punggol...add more ketchup and chilli ....walla, home-made chilli crab. Very, very cheap to eat chilli crab like that.

Same here. I am also poor Sinkie peasant. Only eat seafood in JB PAGOH. Fresh from the sea.
but then again, the rich can afford to eat in very expensive/Long Long queue places like NO SIGNBOARD in geylang.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Same here. I am also poor Sinkie peasant. Only eat seafood in JB PAGOH. Fresh from the sea.
but then again, the rich can afford to eat in very expensive/Long Long queue places like NO SIGNBOARD in geylang.

OMG No Signboard. Used to eat there when they were still in Farrer. Remember those days you must order over the phone, give them your car number when you arrive go look for a table, give them your car number and table number, that was how you make booking.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
OMG No Signboard. Used to eat there when they were still in Farrer. Remember those days you must order over the phone, give them your car number when you arrive go look for a table, give them your car number and table number, that was how you make booking.

you were lucky, ahMeng has his penis measured up because the could not tell the lau kao from LKY from another lau kao. the penis length will cut the lie and see if his is cock or sibeh super cock.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
In my opionion, non of these 2 restaurants are that good anymore. The last time I went to Long Beach, it was full of rich PRCs. Don't know whether they are FTs or tourists. The price also has gone up. A few years ago, a friend introduced me to Ban Leong Wah Hoe at Upper Thomson. Small out of the way joint, all sinkies diners, and the chilli crab is damn good. The helpers are myanmar and what not, but the core staff and cooks are original sinkies. Everything was good there. My one small gripe is they do not have French bread (Chiamtow loti). They only have the mantou. I don't know how this mantou became popular with chilli crab. I am old school. and it has to be French Bread. The simple reason being that French bread can absorbed much more of the chilli crab gravy then any mantou.