• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sad news just in:: SDP has just withdrawing from the by-election

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sad news just in:: SDP has just withdrawing from the by-election

why sad? you should be happy

alantan27
user-offline.png
Alfrescian

<dl class="userstats"><dt>Join Date</dt><dd>Aug 2008</dd><dt>Posts</dt><dd>358</dd></dl> <fieldset class="repfieldset"> <legend>My Reputation</legend> Points: 36 / Power: 6
reputation_pos.png
</fieldset>

[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: James Gomez join SDP[/h]
he is stupid to join sdp
i advised him many time not to do so​

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Not So

A democratic country should welcome all types of opposition. The political awareness of the country is still very immature. For those who think WP is the de-facto opposition, better loosen up for I really doubt WP alone can take on the PAP.

WP alone today cannot take on the PAP. What then, can take on the PAP 10 years down the line?
1. A WP in coalition with other opposition parties that have seats in parliament totally 30 seats
2. A growing and strengthening WP that wins almost all of the 30 seats on its own

Personally, I think #2 is a lot more likely than #1. SPP recently lost half its members and their talisman Mr Chiam See Tong won't be around much longer. NSP just underwent a hostile takeover from the Hazel Poa clique - performing poorly in her own GRC, the Nicole Seah effect has worn off, their former leader GMS performed decently at Tampinese GRC but is now gone. SDP is the next best hope but they were still far behind the polls and had a lot to catch up on, there were lots of speculation that they are growing in strength but just recently shot themselves in the foot.

It would be great if the other parties can pull themselves together, wake up their idea, and actually win some seats in parliament. Until that happens, they do not deserve to be in any coalition, because today they bring absolutely nothing to a potential coalition's table.

Meanwhile Worker's Party has a strong and stable leadership and the party has been slowly but steadily growing in strength. At the moment, unless something drastically changes, they alone are our best hope for taking down the PAP.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't imagine someone donating money to the SDP being happy to see this:

They actually looked ready to go into battle. To do a roundabout turn must have been damning for them. They must have faced some serious problems internally to come to this conclusion.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the posters are an indication of SDP trying to match WP every step of the way.
LTK said that the party long had its logistics ready on the very day the Writ for the BE was issued.

The SDP posters now become souveniers, I guess...

Can be sold to hardcore supporters.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

WP alone today cannot take on the PAP. What then, can take on the PAP 10 years down the line?
1. A WP in coalition with other opposition parties that have seats in parliament totally 30 seats
2. A growing and strengthening WP that wins almost all of the 30 seats on its own

Personally, I think #2 is a lot more likely than #1. SPP recently lost half its members and their talisman Mr Chiam See Tong won't be around much longer. NSP just underwent a hostile takeover from the Hazel Poa clique - performing poorly in her own GRC, the Nicole Seah effect has worn off, their former leader GMS performed decently at Tampinese GRC but is now gone. SDP is the next best hope but they were still far behind the polls and had a lot to catch up on, there were lots of speculation that they are growing in strength but just recently shot themselves in the foot.

It would be great if the other parties can pull themselves together, wake up their idea, and actually win some seats in parliament. Until that happens, they do not deserve to be in any coalition, because today they bring absolutely nothing to a potential coalition's table.

Meanwhile Worker's Party has a strong and stable leadership and the party has been slowly but steadily growing in strength. At the moment, unless something drastically changes, they alone are our best hope for taking down the PAP.

In a truly matured democratic process, we should not even be speculating and chastising another party for causing dis-unity, for it is childish to presume that any one political party has the God-given right to a certain ward.

LTK will be in his 60s in 2016. Time for him to retire from politics. The WP will not be the same when LTK kicks the bucket, just like SPP when Chiam fades away forever. Nothing remains unchanged over time.

For those who think PAP will disappear just because WP is on the ascension right now, better look at history and learn from it.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ahhah, his full name is Maurice Neo Chuan Aik right? Thought he contested under WP some time and should be retired now. What is he doing meddling in all this? U mean he is the invisible hand behind SDP now?

Maurice Neo has faded into obscurity. He was a mole, but has outlived his usefulness to the PAP.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal

I also agree that when opposition reaches 30 seats, WP asses will be resting on most of them. Then what's next for the opposition? If the PAP share of the votes goes down below 50%, what's actually most likely to happen is that they will form a coalition government with one of the opposition parties. Unless all the opposition parties gang up. But if all the opposition parties gang up, it means that the "opposition gang" will run Singapore. I don't know how many people actually want that.

That means that we could see a WP-PAP coalition in the future, maybe 10 years from now. Maybe this is what a lot of people are afraid of.

billisnotathome

Alfrescian
Loyal

In a truly matured democratic process

We are not a matured democratic process. Otherwise there wouldn't be GRCs, NCMPs, vote-buying, gerrymandering or an Elections Dept under the Prime Minister's office. The system is completely gamed and you'd be a damn fool not to think about the best way to defeat this crooked system.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That means that we could see a WP-PAP coalition in the future, maybe 10 years from now. Maybe this is what a lot of people are afraid of.

that wont happen. why would pap want to be in bed with wp who can replace them. better to throw $$ at those smaller parties with seats. too small to choo pattern.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I also agree that when opposition reaches 30 seats, WP asses will be resting on most of them. Then what's next for the opposition? If the PAP share of the votes goes down below 50%, what's actually most likely to happen is that they will form a coalition government with one of the opposition parties. Unless all the opposition parties gang up. But if all the opposition parties gang up, it means that the "opposition gang" will run Singapore. I don't know how many people actually want that.

Just a note, most coalition governments don't agree on all things among the partners. You should still see some divergence of views and uncertain policy voting results.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He got smarter. Win the war, not the battle. Take the time to build a true talent base and develop a vision that the people will buy into. Come the next election, he would be able to get a couple of his people into Parliament.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

LTK will be in his 60s in 2016. Time for him to retire from politics. The WP will not be the same when LTK kicks the bucket, just like SPP when Chiam fades away forever. Nothing remains unchanged over time.

Mr CST has been the only MP in his whole party across 3 decades, and has a problem letting go of leadership, so much so that he only entrusts his wife with that.
WP now has several MPs, and there's no indication that there is no succession plan. LTK is not one that tries to hog the limelight.

For those who think PAP will disappear just because WP is on the ascension right now, better look at history and learn from it.

WTF are you talking about, whoever suggested this?

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Think we are getting way ahead of ourselves here. By the time, if it ever happens, PAP lose their majority, the political landscape would have changed so much that it's too hard to speculate now what would happen.

The first milestone is still the 33%, once this is reached, the PAP will be forced to give concessions to the opposition if they ever want to pass any constitution change through parliament.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

WTF are you talking about, whoever suggested this?

Those who keep insisting on other opposition parties not to be involved in PE, as if WP can win PE in a straight fight with PAP.

Who wanna bet? PAP will take PE at 60% or more.

WP will lose, with at most 40% or even less.

[Assuming no other Opposition parties or independents involved]

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just a note, most coalition governments don't agree on all things among the partners. You should still see some divergence of views and uncertain policy voting results.

OK that's the thing. In a coalition government two or more parties have to run a GOVERNMENT together. Right now, only have 2 or more parties trying to decide election strategy together and they are screwing up.

You tell me what a future coalition government is going to be like.

Another way to think of it: a friend of mine was complaining that the Singapore's population of 5.5 million was supposed to be reached in only 2020 and we had reached it almost 10 years too early because the government ministries were not talking enough to each other. If the PAP already has problems talking to itself, what does that tell you about what opposition unity is going to be like?

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal

The first milestone is still the 33%, once this is reached, the PAP will be forced to give concessions to the opposition if they ever want to pass any constitution change through parliament.

OK, the PAP losing more than half the seats may be far away. But consider this:

When PAP's share of the votes goes below 54, 53%, they will lose their 2/3. When their share of the votes goes below 50%, they will lose half.

Well, people are always thinking on a linear timescale and they think that 33% is many many years away. It's not. 33% could be less than 10 years away, maybe even 2016. You're right that 50% is a little too far to tell. But the point is that PAP losing their power could be quicker than the opposition's ability to grow into their role.