• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S’porean loses HDB after foreign wife runs away

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]S’porean loses HDB after foreign wife runs away[/h]
PostDateIcon.png
May 7th, 2012 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

leong1.jpg
Leong Sze Hian

Billy (not his real name) is a 41 year old Singaporean male, who married a foreign spouse. After marrying him, she obtained permanent residency (PR) status.
Subsequently, she left Singapore on a flight to Los Angeles in 2007, and has not been contactable since. Her PR status has also lapsed.
As Billy has not been able to earn enough due to business failure to pay for his HDB 3-room resale flat mortgage, he has been served with a Notice of Vesting & To Take Possession.
The compulsory acquisition compensation at 90 per cent of valuation is $229,000.
However, according to Billy, the valuation for his flat is about $330,000, excluding cash-over-valuation (COV).
Since his wife is a joint tenant of the flat, he is unable to sell or rent out his flat. She did not contribute a single cent for the flat or the household expenses.
Despite numerous communications and appeals to the HDB, Legal Aid Bureau and his Member of Parliament (MP), his flat will now be repossessed on 16 May, as per the HDB’s final communication to him on 2 May.
Billy said “What’s the point of everybody keep asking me to appeal, when I always face rejection all the time?”
Because of the low acquisition compensation of $229,000, Billy is unable to buy even the cheapest resale 2-room flat in the open market.
If he can get his flat’s current valuation of about $330,000 plus COV, it is likely that he may be able to buy a resale 2-room flat.
Recently, Billy was denied his right to vote in the Home Improvement Programme (HIP) for his block, as the letter said that: “Please note that you are not eligible to vote because you are served the Notice of Intention due to mortgage arrears.” “However, you will be required to pay the cost of the HIP and LUP works if the poll for the HIP and LUP works are successful.”
Leong Sze Hian
Leong Sze Hian is the Past President of the Society of Financial Service Professionals, an alumnus of Harvard University, Wharton Fellow, SEACeM Fellow and an author of 4 books. He is frequently quoted in the media. He has also been invited to speak more than 100 times in 25 countries on 5 continents. He has served as Honorary Consul of Jamaica, Chairman of the Institute of Administrative Management, and founding advisor to the Financial Planning Associations of Brunei and Indonesia. He has 3 Masters, 2 Bachelors degrees and 13 professional qualifications. He blogs at http://www.leongszehian.com.
Editor’s note: TRE has also sent this to Minister of State for National Development, Tan Chuan-Jin.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
maybe so...but i am sure his case could be dealt with in a more compassionate manner. The Govt will not lose anything but gain some moral ground.

I don't agree with that. Rules are rules and they have to be enforced impartially.

Once you bring "compassion" into the equation, you might as well throw out the rule book.

People don't seem to realise that bending the rules based on compassion penalises those who make the effort not to break them.

Imagine a football game where goals are awarded based on "compassionate" grounds. It would kill the sport in no time.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
you are right of course in that the authorities cannot always simply bend backwards to help people once they have broken the rules. But cant there be

exceptional situations that can be dealt on a case by case basis? I think this guy simply got royally screwed by his foreigner wife...something he

didnt really expect. I think he does deserve some help and i think Tan CJ will help a little.
I don't agree with that. Rules are rules and they have to be enforced impartially.

Once you bring "compassion" into the equation, you might as well throw out the rule book.

People don't seem to realise that bending the rules based on compassion penalises those who make the effort not to break them.

Imagine a football game where goals are awarded based on "compassionate" grounds. It would kill the game in no time.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
exceptional situations that can be dealt on a case by case basis? I think this guy simply got royally screwed by his foreigner wife..

95% of Sinkies who marry foreign wives get screwed by them in the same manner so this shows two things :

1. The guy is a moron for marrying a foreigner.

2. His misfortunes are of his own doing.

If his spouse had been killed in a tragic accident, I'd be more sympathetic to his plight but he brought this whole situation upon himself so he deserves zero compassion.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
tsk tsk tsk......Richard the Lion heart

BosSam the Iron heart.

95% of Sinkies who marry foreign wives get screwed by them in the same manner so this shows two things :

1. The guy is a moron for marrying a foreigner.

2. His misfortunes are of his own doing.

If his spouse had been killed in a tragic accident, I'd be more sympathetic to his plight but he brought this whole situation upon himself so he deserves zero compassion.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
aiyo boss...why you taking examples to the extreme? In the first place we are not asking the sinkie to be let off totally. He should bear some penalty

but we think not all the way.There must be some way to soften his double whammy blow.

Yeah try showing that when someone rapes your wife and murders your children. :rolleyes:

Talk is cheap.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yeah try showing that when someone rapes your wife and murders your children. :rolleyes:

Talk is cheap.

C'mon the case above is not about murder or rape. Punishment awarded befits the crime and applied on case by case basis.

You mean that the recent crime when the man murdered his gf and tore her eyeballs out should be hang? The case yet to be heard and you already passed judgement?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
aiyo boss...why you taking examples to the extreme? In the first place we are not asking the sinkie to be let off totally. He should bear some penalty

Whenever a marriage breaks up, there's always some sob story behind it that deserves "compassion". If that's the case, then simply change the rules that allow the remaining half to keep the flat.

Once it depends on compassion, judgement calls will be made which are subjective and impossible to standardise. This will lead to cases where some parties have the rules bent for them while other more deserving cases are thrown out and the whole system will end up in chaos.

Within the HDB hierarchy, there are some who think like me and some who think like you so you can see for yourself that the outcomes will vary considerably depending upon who made the decision and what sort of mood they were in on the day of reckoning.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You mean that the recent crime when the man murdered his gf and tore her eyeballs out should be hang? The case yet to be heard and you already passed judgement?

If he's guilty, he hangs. If he isn't he doesn't.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes i agree. People are different . Some apply rules strictly whereas some try to see what can be done to ease penalties. None can say they are 100%

correct. Each side can defend their position although i concede yours is on firmer ground.

Within the HDB hierarchy, there are some who think like me and some who think like you so you can see for yourself that the outcomes will vary considerably depending upon who made the decision and what sort of mood they were in on the day of reckoning.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Once it depends on compassion, judgement calls will be made which are subjective and impossible to standardise. This will lead to cases where some parties have the rules bent for them while other more deserving cases are thrown out and the whole system will end up in chaos.

If you are unaware, why do you think hundreds of families are queuing to see their MP every week? Many people are at LTA asking for discounts on their traffic summons and usually they do get it.

Rules are being bent all the time.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If he's guilty, he hangs. If he isn't he doesn't.

Will there be compassion in his case? Obviously there will be before judgment is passed. That does not mean he will escape the gallows but still there is a possibility.