• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rise of a new Singapore Intelligentsia in 20 years time.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nantah is unfinished business. Its the aspiration of SEA and not just Singapore. Its the aspiration of flower girls and hawkers to the many uneducated traders of yesteryear.

You got a good point. The moment old man kicks the bucket, the embers will catch fire. Money has never been an issue. NTU has to be relocated.

Somehow I am sure the SE Asians Chinese might not allow PRC to get into Nantah as it is the former's heritage.

More than a generation have passed since Nantah's demise. I wonder aloud if there would be enough embers in the ashes for a phoenix to rise. I'm speaking post-Old Man. One compelling reason could be the continuing rise of China and a raison-detre for reviving Nantah modelled after Ivy league Chinese Uni's to propagate chinese culture/language/trade & commerce. Look at the Confucian Institute and East Asian studies. Just the right things to park under a revived Nantah. Then, it could well be a conveneint honey-pot and enclave for PRC-S'poreans to nucleate.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tan Lark Sye and others pushed their buttons in the wrong place at the wrong time and it led to tragic finale.

If Tan LS - or an avatar of his - were to act today what he did a gen ago, he might have found some resonance.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wholeheartedly agree! An influential intelligentsia composed of immigrants would be the ultimate sellout. I suspect even the PAP won't like that (assuming they are still sane, which sometimes I wonder......).

If there's going to be a (new) intelligentsia, I rather it be groups like Tangent then one led by new immigrants who (because they always have a recourse, a homeland to retreat to) might be less circumspective and more rash.

All this talk is making me want to flip through some past issues of "Tangent", if only they can make their message more masses-digestible!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wholeheartedly agree! An influential intelligentsia composed of immigrants would be the ultimate sellout. I suspect even the PAP won't like that (assuming they are still sane, which sometimes I wonder......).

If Singaporeans continue to be apathetic, ignorant, and naive, then do not be surprised we'll wake up one day with these guys in charge. Based on balance of probabilities, if they still keep pouring in at a ratio of 42:1, and our chaps keep getting out, they may well capture any political, social, religious, academic or civic organisation by sheer numbers. Dominate an AGM or EGM and elect yr own office bearers while the rest of Singaporeans sleep.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I too am worried if the PAP is so focused on petty local politics that they are not mindful of what emerges in the shadows in the form of newly arrived immigrants.

Tangent and other similar groups can do much for society if they have broader agenda that covers Singaporeans as a whole rather than be myopic in nature. They are after all the cream of society and some educated at public expense have to bear some sort of leadership role. They are also better equipped in view of their education to contribute substantially by commenting on policies of the nation and influence politicians to act appropriately. I have no issues if there are other interest that are specific and even parochial but these should be secondary.

Even AMP is finding out after a decade that its was not the best move and now finding out that sitting with devil for dinner, perception wise is disastrous. Any group that does not have aspirations for the wider community in Singapore but intends to influence or manipulate the body politic of Singapore has no place in this country.

normalsingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS,

Very nice on the reality on politics (numbers game). I sincerely hope you are on track.

People in Tangent always pride themselves as "apolitical", although some of them made commentaries in the papers on certain issues once a while.

In a way, yes, they lack the political acumen and the nudging belief that civil activism without political influences could bring change to the system. Or rather, civil society comes before political pluralism. I have been thinking about their points repeatedly and find that it cannot be so.

Politics is always the number game and yes, you got it right here. Many people don't really get it and some, worse, being misled by personality or party or organization branding in their approaches. Some even thought that it was because of their "good profile" that draws massive support and attendance to their political rallies and such. It was the numbers which was created from a systematic approach in creation that brought the party branding up, not the other way round.

Similarly, civil societies or NGOs like Tangent have to recognize that without the balance of power within parliament, there will be no incentives for the ones in power to listen to them, unless they have great influence within their community (number game again) or their support is paramount in helping or deterring those in power from winning elections. AMP is one fine example.

Goh Meng Seng