• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Reserve Book Also Need to Pay? FCUK PAPEE!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Librarian paid user's book reservation fee
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I RESERVED a book using the National Library Board's website last week and was advised two days later to collect it at Sengkang Community Library.
I thought the $1.55 would be charged to my account and did not take any cash with me. Imagine my surprise when the librarian, Ms Pushpa, volunteered to pay for me. When I returned the following day to repay her, she declined to accept.
It is people like Ms Pushpa who make an excellent organisation like the National Library Board world-class.
Cheah Khin Men

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If anyone here have ever visited the Library website, it is stated quite clearly that you need to pay to reserve books. Since its an extra service rendered by the library I do not think it is unfair to have to pay to reserve a book, especially since you can reserve books which is not available at your nearest library and get them to deliver it there.

Bearing in mind that normal borrowing of books is still free of charge I don't see anything wrong with asking someone to pay for it if they demand extra services

Grimloq69

Alfrescian
Loyal
If anyone here have ever visited the Library website, it is stated quite clearly that you need to pay to reserve books. Since its an extra service rendered by the library I do not think it is unfair to have to pay to reserve a book, especially since you can reserve books which is not available at your nearest library and get them to deliver it there.

Bearing in mind that normal borrowing of books is still free of charge I don't see anything wrong with asking someone to pay for it if they demand extra services

Our tax dollars pay for this service. It's not like they are doing it out of charity. We shouldn't have to pay again for what we already paid through tax. In the other countries I've lived in, all these 'extra' services are free.

Maybe our tax should go to pay for these instead of funding Ho Ching's gambling habit.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
in germany where everything is free, i think you pay more than half of your income as income tax.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in germany where everything is free, i think you pay more than half of your income as income tax.

Spore we got high taxes & nothing, I repeat nothing is free :eek:

I will take the German system, if people like LKY, LHL,...have to pay their fair share :rolleyes:

VeryWise

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore tax rate is in fact very high too. However, it's hidden in the form of CPF. Imagine a person earning $3000, the 20% contribution he put in the CPF account monthly - $600. And if you consider the employer contribution, which is another 14.5% - $435. Total contribution by you to the Gov coffer...a total of $1035 out of $3435, a staggering 30% of your potential pay. This is of course excluding the income tax, GST and other forms of tax.

People might argue that CPF is your own money. But if you think harder, it's really a "loan" to the gov for them to invest. In return, we are given a very small amount of interest. In many cases, the bulk of the CPF will be tied down to hefty HDB loan. At the end of the day, we are contributing a significant amount of our income but we do not get most things free. Subsidized housing, medical care? Are they really what they are? Food for thoughts.

VeryWise

Alfrescian
Loyal
BTW, to add on. I was at the library 2 days ago to borrow some books. When I was at the borrowing station, the machine refuse to grant me the loan for the books because I had outstanding fines. Thinking I might be owing the library a large amount, I quickly scan my account information at another station. To my amazement, I owe NLB 15 cents...wtf...refuse my loan because I din pay 15 cents? I made a feedback to the librarian and remarked that it's riddiculous. $1 I can understand...but 15 cents?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
However, it's hidden in the form of CPF. Imagine a person earning $3000, the 20% contribution he put in the CPF account monthly - $600. And if you consider the employer contribution, which is another 14.5% - $435. .........

If your relatives owned any of the old shop houses don't forget that the gov't only paid WWII or some silly amounts when they forcibly (steal?) "ACQUIRED" the property.

We are not talking about farmland but valuable property that was re-sold to developers & renovated & rented out/sold for a huge profit.

Now that Temasek has lost so many billions there's not much left they can "ACQUIRE" except for CPF & taxes. Expect these taxes to go up :rolleyes: