• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, does anyone know if we need to get approval from MPJBT to do an awning that is not retractable but not secured to any common wall? Also are there any guidelines about how many metres setback we need from common walls?

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, Classy Kitchen I feel is about 10-20% more expensive than this TESCO shop.

The problem is they are a smaller operation and I dont have much confidence in them after they did my measurements as they got it wrong and quoted me for 15 ft when my wet kitchen definitely cant do more than 10ft as 4 doors open into it- maid's room, dry kitchem, back door and bathroom.. When I pointed it out they amended it but still got it wrong at 11ft.

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kitchen cabinet should cost around 450psf to 550psf, excluding the top. Solid surface is the cheapest around 180pft. Granite or quartz about 250rm

The problem is they are a smaller operation and I dont have much confidence in them after they did my measurements as they got it wrong and quoted me for 15 ft when my wet kitchen definitely cant do more than 10ft as 4 doors open into it- maid's room, dry kitchem, back door and bathroom.. When I pointed it out they amended it but still got it wrong at 11ft.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
That give me chills I want to buy new one. Any idea ? :smile:

Some movers provide boxes n pack for u. Else u buy ur own boxes online n u collect urself. I bought mine from a warehouse in Changi for shifting in Singapore. Boxes r expensive, esp thouse double layer type for heavy stuffs.

2Oceans

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some movers provide boxes n pack for u. Else u buy ur own boxes online n u collect urself. I bought mine from a warehouse in Changi for shifting in Singapore. Boxes r expensive, esp thouse double layer type for heavy stuffs.

Thank you. Yes need a few to pack personal stuffs The rest can leave to mover :smile:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Renovating your house
BY LIM WING HOOI
Published: Saturday December 28, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Saturday December 28, 2013 MYT 12:59:25 PM

A HOUSE may be the largest investments in one’s life, but that is not all. One may want to renovate it and it does not come cheap these days.

Success Concepts Life Planners chief executive Joyce Chuah shares with StarBizWeek that renovation cost has increased by about 12% over the past eight years.

“Having said that, one has to deliberate on how much one should allocate for one’s renovation budget,” she says.

Advocating that one needs to be clear of the objective of the renovation, she says if it is for one’s own stay, allocating a 5% to 10% of the house value as the renovation budget is feasible. It is common to exceed the budgeted amount and then have difficulties paying for it later on.

“It is very subjective with many variables in play. For example, how many children will be staying in the house, the size of the house, and so on,” she says.

For people puchasing their house with a mortgage, she says it would be wise to allocate another 5% to 10% of the purchase price for renovation in the loan amount as well.

Retired financial planner Mike Lee, on the other hand, notes that renovating a house should only be considered if other responsibilites are well taken care of. Citing child education and savings, for instance, Lee says much of this renovation cost could be invested for better returns.

“Except if you’re a person who needs to entertain guests at your house, spend only the minimum to make the house look better. One should look at simple decorations instead of expensive furnishings,” he says.

He adds that it is common for retirees to withdraw their pension savings to renovate their house. But he cautions against this move as the renovation does not generate income.

Does renovation increase the property’s value?

Malaysia Institute of Estate Agents (MIEA) president Siva Shanker says when the house is for one’s own stay, one can do according to one’s taste. But if it is for investment, do not expect your tenant or buyer to have the same taste.

“If it is for investment, one just needs to touch up the house to ensure it is clean and presentable. It is not advisable to do extensions as the value is questionable as well,” he says.

Chuah: ‘There should be a balance between consuming and growing your wealth.’
He adds that most renovation does not result in raising property value. “For renovations with no proper approvals, valuers will not even include the renovation cost in their valuation,” he says.

Apart from that, he says most renovations would be discarded by the new owner.

“In some cases, you will see extensions being done to create more rooms, occupying exisitng land which was once used to be a garden. But your next buyer may prefer the original layout,” he says.

Lee says people buy a property because of its location.

The age old adage of “location, location and location” remains the main influence of property value. However, if the house is for one’s own occupation, and one has the means to enjoy the finer things in life, why not?

Success Concepts’ Chuah sums this up nicely: “There should be a balance between consuming and growing your wealth.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/...-much-should-one-allocate-to-do-up-ones-home/

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anybody has tips how to prevent these guests?

I find that it helps to put door seal or just use towels to block the gap under all doors to prevent entry of cockroaches etc. This will at least block the entry of big cockroaches and isolate them to confined area like bathrooms. Before this practice I have killed two big cockroaches, after this I have killed only two very small ones.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find that it helps to put door seal or just use towels to block the gap under all doors to prevent entry of cockroaches etc. This will at least block the entry of big cockroaches and isolate them to confined area like bathrooms. Before this practice I have killed two big cockroaches, after this I have killed only two very small ones.

I use cloth tapes to seal the gaps underneath my doors to prevent most insects from crawling in. Some still managed to slip pass e.g. spiders, ants and garden slugs, but they are cute. Lizards are nuisance though as they shit a lot on the wall and leave behind stains. I haven't encountered cockroaches at my side, probably because my kitchen (house) is empty most of the time.

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I use cloth tapes to seal the gaps underneath my doors to prevent most insects from crawling in. Some still managed to slip pass e.g. spiders, ants and garden slugs, but they are cute. Lizards are nuisance though as they shit a lot on the wall and leave behind stains. I haven't encountered cockroaches at my side, probably because my kitchen (house) is empty most of the time.

i recommend 1 complete solutiion. buy a glue trap - lizards, roaaches will be caught. i even caught 2 rats with it.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
i recommend 1 complete solutiion. buy a glue trap - lizards, roaaches will be caught. i even caught 2 rats with it.

My lizards are too smart. None got caught after placing the glue traps bought from Singapore around the house for 1 month. Maybe I should find a more powerful one in Johor.