• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal
My lizards are too smart. None got caught after placing the glue traps bought from Singapore around the house for 1 month. Maybe I should find a more powerful one in Johor.

i find that u need to place it where lizards tend to move around.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I stay 2nd flr HDB flat. My cat help to rid off those roaches and lizards. Seldom have those pests in my house. :smile:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I use cloth tapes to seal the gaps underneath my doors to prevent most insects from crawling in. Some still managed to slip pass e.g. spiders, ants and garden slugs, but they are cute. Lizards are nuisance though as they shit a lot on the wall and leave behind stains. I haven't encountered cockroaches at my side, probably because my kitchen (house) is empty most of the time.

I think they crept out from exterior and bathroom drain cover with holes big enough for small cockroaches, the two I saw are hidden in the towels blocking the back door and bathroom doors.

good2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think they crept out from exterior and bathroom drain cover with holes big enough for small cockroaches, the two I saw are hidden in the towels blocking the back door and bathroom doors.

Try the glue trap. It works, one trap can catch a number of roaches. My trap helped to catch them and rats also kena caught.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try the glue trap. It works, one trap can catch a number of roaches. My trap helped to catch them and rats also kena caught.

Oh thank you. Actually I find it still okay as one or two small ones from the drain cover is expected unless change to the anti-cockroach type, but I'll definitely keep the glue trap in mind especially when I need to catch rats...

Legolad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home Network Cabling

I intend to do network cabling (either Cat 5e or Cat 6) for my home. Anyone done this before? any contractor to recommend? Thanks.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
I intend to do network cabling (either Cat 5e or Cat 6) for my home. Anyone done this before? any contractor to recommend? Thanks.
I'm doing Cat6 cabling for my house; 5 outlets and all originating from the storeroom where the modem will be located. I bought Cat6 data sockets and a box of Cat6 cables for my contractor to install. The house is not ready, so I can't test whether the connection is properly done or not.

Legolad

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm doing Cat6 cabling for my house; 5 outlets and all originating from the storeroom where the modem will be located. I bought Cat6 data sockets and a box of Cat6 cables for my contractor to install. The house is not ready, so I can't test whether the connection is properly done or not.

Great. Please give an update after you've tested. Please PM me your contractor's contact after he's completed your reno. Thanks.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal

Vince if your cabling is buried in the walls make sure it is in tubing. As you cannot test whether it's connected, you will only find out after you've moved in and are connected up to the internet. If cabling has issue you want to be able to "pull" the Cat6 cable out and replace it. If it is buried in the wall and not in tubing you have to hack the wall again. I am having that problem, initially told Cat6 cable would be in tubing BUT now found out that it was laid in the wall without it and to deal with the problem I have to hack the wall beside taking down the panelling.
Be careful of what the contractor promised to do. Good luck.

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, all wires should be laid in cable pipes, otherwise when the cement they used to close up wall where the wire is, will damage the wire when the cement hardens. How is your house reno coming along, Vincent?

Vince if your cabling is buried in the walls make sure it is in tubing. As you cannot test whether it's connected, you will only find out after you've moved in and are connected up to the internet. If cabling has issue you want to be able to "pull" the Cat6 cable out and replace it. If it is buried in the wall and not in tubing you have to hack the wall again. I am having that problem, initially told Cat6 cable would be in tubing BUT now found out that it was laid in the wall without it and to deal with the problem I have to hack the wall beside taking down the panelling.
Be careful of what the contractor promised to do. Good luck.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vince if your cabling is buried in the walls make sure it is in tubing. As you cannot test whether it's connected, you will only find out after you've moved in and are connected up to the internet. If cabling has issue you want to be able to "pull" the Cat6 cable out and replace it. If it is buried in the wall and not in tubing you have to hack the wall again. I am having that problem, initially told Cat6 cable would be in tubing BUT now found out that it was laid in the wall without it and to deal with the problem I have to hack the wall beside taking down the panelling. Be careful of what the contractor promised to do. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice Grago and Sandy. I'll check with my contractor. The cables are already in the wall and pulled across the ceiling and rooms.

I'm at the tiling and painting stage now. Furniture will be installed in 2 weeks time, same time as switches, fans, lights, heaters and ACs. I will move in after CNY when the grilles are up.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
My contractor didn't promised anything about the concealed cabling and I didn't specify too. Today I spoke to him and found out that the cabling are embedded in the wall, not replaceable. I asked him to get his wire guy to check the electrical wiring and CAT6 cables. If the CAT6 cables are not working, then an easier option is to fix a pipe to the wall behind the TV feature walls and wall cabinets.

And he will also need to cut open my plaster ceiling to pull the new CAT6 cables again; I will probably ask him to patch the hole so that I don't have a manhole in the living room or other rooms' ceiling.

If you love in already, isn't the hacking and removing the wall panel a messy job?

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
My contractor didn't promised anything about the concealed cabling and I didn't specify too. Today I spoke to him and found out that the cabling are embedded in the wall, not replaceable. I asked him to get his wire guy to check the electrical wiring and CAT6 cables. If the CAT6 cables are not working, then an easier option is to fix a pipe to the wall behind the TV feature walls and wall cabinets.

And he will also need to cut open my plaster ceiling to pull the new CAT6 cables again; I will probably ask him to patch the hole so that I don't have a manhole in the living room or other rooms' ceiling.

If you love in already, isn't the hacking and removing the wall panel a messy job?

Extremely messy and costly. Have to remove TV feature wall as well as the cabinets that are attached. Not a "small job". I was told by another contractor it will take at least a week. The expression "vomit blood" comes to mind :*: :mad:.......
Hope your Cat and electrical cables are OK.