• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Air-con with fan gives the best result and achieves better cost saving if the weather is really hot. It also helps to take a cold shower and leave the skin partially moist and just wear your underwear in the house with curtains drawn.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fall from ladder is not fun, especially if the ceiling fan is located 3m+ above the ground for my units.

I think most JB houses got 3m+ ceiling height for living room, usually about 10 or 11 feet. However, the ceiling fan will have a drop of more than a foot for those 56" 5 blade type. So the actual height of the ceiling fan blade will be below 10 feet or 3m. Using just a normal five step ladder and with the hand extended should be able to reach the fan easily. No need to be able to see the top of the fan blade, as long as can reach it comfortably. Even if really 3m+, still can reach easily with the hand extended.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed. Ceiling fan is so much easier to clean using your method. Just be more careful when stand on ladder to clean. Personally, think that ceiling fan is a must in every rooms as Malaysia weather is hotter and ceiling seems to be higher.

Yeah need to be careful whenever stand on ladder. Cleaning is really easy, took about 5 mins for baby fan with 3 blades to 20 mins for 56" 5 blade fan. I think i already did it very slowly, others could be faster. Start cleaning with the bedroom fans as they are lower and very easy to reach, the living/dining room ones are harder as usually higher ceiling height for living/dining room.

Last edited:

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah need to be careful whenever stand on ladder. Cleaning is really easy, took about 5 mins for baby fan with 3 blades to 20 mins for 56" 5 blade fan. I think i already did it very slowly, others could be faster. Start cleaning with the bedroom fans as they are lower and very easy to reach, the living/dining room ones are harder as usually higher ceiling height for living/dining room.

Er ... nothing is harder than clearing the CIQs .

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Elmark ( regency) 56'' fan was selling at rm188 each at ion lighting with 5yrs warranty . Located at the row of shophouse just b4 giant coming from direction of sutera mall.

Bought 10, looks ok n very strong wind at high speed.

Also was told Panasonic n kdk fans are the same manufacturer, just that Panasonic is cheaper.

Thanks we will likely get a mix. My hubby is very keen on KDK so likely will get that for living and master. Guest room , study, I may get something else.Must go take a look at Lion Lighting. Btw Emart has KDK but oly one design, white, 4 blades 54 inches. Price is $445 but very old fashioned looking :eek:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone installed this? Review and pricing?

dc_900x300.png

http://seers.com.my/our-product/dc-storage-water-heater

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is this a central pump for the whole house? If we fix a central pump can we get water heaters without pumps?

Should be. My thoughts are also to get water pump and then save on water heaters with pumps.

Alternatively, buy water heaters with pumps (about RM500 each) and then see how.

Not sure which is the better option though....

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
One good reason to get grilles? Death trap for burglars.

Burglar dies after getting trapped in window grilles

21 Jul 2013 01:56am
IPOH, July 20 — A burglar died after getting trapped between a metal window structure while trying to sneak into a house at Taman Saz Silibin here.

District police chief ACP Sum Chang Keong said no one was at home at the time.

“The houseowner in his 50s chanced upon the lifeless suspect at the kitchen window and some house break-in tools upon returning home around midnight,” he told Bernama when contacted today.

According to him, the post mortem report by Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital stated the suspect who was only clad in his underwear, as having died of suffocation.– BERNAMA

http://news.abnxcess.com/2013/07/burglar-dies-after-getting-trapped-in-window-grilles/

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should be. My thoughts are also to get water pump and then save on water heaters with pumps.

Alternatively, buy water heaters with pumps (about RM500 each) and then see how.

Not sure which is the better option though....

I was told Keck Seng in Nusa Bestari carries both the pump and teh storage heaters, so am going to make enquiries next week. Btw, they also install.I suspect central pump may be better but we have to find out.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. Since you've done it we can benefit from your experience !

No, I haven't. But I installed water heaters with pump and regretted it. The problem is the water heater will give me powerful jets of water, which is good. So when I turn on other taps, I'm disappointed with the low pressure. So it is better to have high pressure for ALL the water outlets at upper level.

Rocker

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was told one need to set aside 1/3 of the budget against the buying price of the house for renovation. Is that right? For e.g if the property price is 650,000 then need to set aside of approx : 220,000. Is this the approximate for those brothers and sister who have completed your renovation?

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was told one need to set aside 1/3 of the budget against the buying price of the house for renovation. Is that right? For e.g if the property price is 650,000 then need to set aside of approx : 220,000. Is this the approximate for those brothers and sister who have completed your renovation?

I think it depends on what scale and the materials you choose.There are cheaper and more expensive options for everything from grilles to kitchens.Sometimes one option can be as much as double the price. Also price takes into account location and when you buy but the size of 2 houses may be the same while the price could be a lot different, once again one house could be half the price of another of the same size but in a much more prestigious location.Size of the house may be a better way to gauge and also whether you're going for budget, moderate or luxurious quality. A budget wet kitchen may cost less 10K while a custom made one with superior materials could easily run into 20K for the same size. That's what I've discovered.

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
same here, installed one water heater with pump to test test. only improve a little and not worth the money, will be installing pump or change to direct water supply.

No, I haven't. But I installed water heaters with pump and regretted it. The problem is the water heater will give me powerful jets of water, which is good. So when I turn on other taps, I'm disappointed with the low pressure. So it is better to have high pressure for ALL the water outlets at upper level.

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone can advise on TV options. (1) install antenna to watch spore tv channels (quoted rm 500) (2) install astro point. Do (1) or (2), or do both? At horizon hills. I remember reading about this in earlier discussions, but cannot find now. Thanks very much!