• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Reflections upon reading the latest LKY Interview (whatever was reported by MSM)

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did a quick read, the following remarks/comments caught my eye
(accuracy not 100%, words to the effect):-

- supposedly a rare interview on 'private' subjects such as religious views, spouse, health, sunset years etc topics which the pragmatist who yearn fear more than respect, always tend to be in more lecturing than musing mode..

- a remark like ' sometimes I wonder why bother...', so all that talk of cycle & swim, take it with a pinch of salt .... he is probably talking in terms of when he was say 5-10 yrs younger, obviously part of his lifestyle, but having observed his public gait, methinks the 'cycle & swim' part is simply nominal

- his deep love(?) more deep bond with his wife very evident ....

- still shied away from revealing his exact views on spiritual matters other than the 2 comments: 'Life is like that' - his constant self-consolation & ' envious of the authentic faith of believers'. ( he had previously admitted he admired the quiet of christians/catholics like the late Hon Sui Sen etc)

To me,Pretty profound freudian slips into the limited human he concedes he is & which we all are

- comment on 'worst thing to punish a man is to isolate...', another freudian slip revealing his mixed feelings towards applying this 'do not do unto others what you do not want others to do unto you' abominable treatment he dished out to genuine conscientious souls like Dr Poh & Dr Lim Hock Siew (my heart goes out to this man, chia thye poh etc but not poseurs like Francis Seow etc....

- The nearest thing to come to a public apology/defence/self-mitigation/justification : ' I do not claim to be always right/done the right things, but always I have done them with the most honorable of intentions '......

so folks, that's the max, LKY never apologises or express explicit regrets... get real & spare your boiling bile...

I suppose over time such an instrangient stance helped him to live with his conscience & enable him to sleep at night

- revealing that he has been practising meditation, actually chanting the strange mumbojumbo phrase a Christian friend taught him ..... bring up the words of the traditional Christian Marriage vows (in the light of his vigil for his vegetative wife) etc ........ this element I thought a younger LKY would never have the honesty & courage to portray to the world .... in his early remarks in the early part of the interview, I got the distinct impression he concedes he is finding it a strain but deem it a necessity to continue to put up a bold front in front of the world & to Singaporeans, to prove to his cabinet colleagues that in terms of his intellectual relevance, his health & mental faculties, that he should be allowed to continue his halo 'world statesmen' lifestyle ......

To make the above remarks shows that age do mellow that most hardened macho pride & ardent disciplinarian (especially to himself).

Coupled with a rosy, smiling, relatively plump photo in the ST report, there you have it ....... LKY judiciously choosing what to reveal to further flesh out his ongoing legend/myth (take your pick)....

MSM trash or SPH poodlefeed, still Iwould rather this is published than nothing.

How one makes of it is of course entirely a matter of free choice ....

Prior to my post, the usual mirth, insult, scorn & ridicule has been voiced ... so there goes, to be expected & not entirely without merit.

I end by describing the most frustrating remarks (to me) from MM Lee : that usual - his reflexive critique of the younger generation (post 65 onwards I suppose), ' who thinks all this is the natural order & auto-pilot blah blah blah ., be that as it may be given the historical circumstance the young have grown up in (as opposed to his colorful colonial struggle, world war experiences), what else is new ?

The challenge to him & his successors is to inspire & synergize witht the given citzenry not 'scolding, chastising', especially in that fosillized language & vocab he always used in describing the politically immature young.

At the end of the day, well, MM Lee is still the man all love to hate & hate to love .....

Last edited:

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You think for once ,if not for his sunset years he will be willing to mingle with heartlanders !

jw5

Loyal
Hey Elephanto, where have you been? You haven't posted in ages.

My take on the interview is that it is a form of "karma retrieval", an addendum or foreword to the series of weekly articles written by his daughter. It is to make him look human and to remind the ordinary people of his good intentions and some good results. Being an intelligent person, he senses some negativity towards some of his actions over the years but he wants very much to be remembered fondly.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey Elephanto, where have you been? You haven't posted in ages.

My take on the interview is that it is a form of "karma retrieval", an addendum or foreword to the series of weekly articles written by his daughter. It is to make him look human and to remind the ordinary people of his good intentions and some good results. Being an intelligent person, he senses some negativity towards some of his actions over the years but he wants very much to be remembered fondly.

He in Bandung happy happy ......:biggrin: