• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Reddit Sg thread discussing the privilege of being in SIngapore versus their experiences in other countries

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

level 3
puncel

·13h

About 15 years ago, had a colleague from UK who had been complaining about some aches and pains for a few days, before it became a full blown fever.
We were concerned and asked him to move to see a doctor quickly since he had been sitting on it for days. He said he made an appointment, and our assumption was in Singapore's context - you call the clinic to ask about opening hours and that you would go down in an hour kind of thing.
So after a few hours he was still available on MSN, and we were wondering why he wasn't at the doctor??
He told us the appointment, while flagged as urgent, was for 5 days later.
?? If it was serious, would have been dead by then?

level 1
mllywn

·18h

i love this thread. have been living in thailand for 6 months and have quickly realised how many things we take for granted. a predictable, reliable government system is one.

Taxes :

level 3
Katarassein

·20h

Gong Gong Gong
I had to file taxes in the US for a couple of years. I never want to go through that Sisyphean nightmare again .
I should also have added on how low the income tax rates are here relative to the 'return' Singaporeans get for their tax dollars. And how there's no capital gains taxes!
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 4
captsubasa25

·17h

Yes! Cap gains tax is another thing we take for granted. Easily buy and sell stocks and ETFs without having to consider taxes is amazing.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

level 4
GlowQueen140

·19h

What SMLJ is this?!
No capital gains taxes is something people here don’t realise. So much from the sale of your shares, or your house going to the government… I have a UK law licence and the amount of taxes they pay is crazy compared to SG.
ReplyGive Award
ReportSaveFollow

11 more replies

level 4
WittyKap0

·18h

Self filing is quite a challenge if you have any complexity at all in your situation.
It is quite worthwhile to find a good tax attorney though if you can