• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Recommend a place to buy Bike?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
U can try Tay cycle, Hup Leong or C2C... can look at Giant...Aust $1199... Can check with Tay c how much he sell...

That's not mid range. That's low end. Mid range road bikes are those priced between $5000 to $8000.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That's not mid range. That's low end. Mid range road bikes are those priced between $5000 to $8000.

Doesn't seem like he 1 2 spend tat kind of cash on de bike... Ur std bery high... my def of mid range ish 2-5K oni...:biggrin::biggrin::p

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I did use a bicycle lock but a friend who is a police detective told me that these people used quite niffy equipment that can break the locks in a jiffy.

But 2 or 3 to secure each wheel & frame? Did not think of that.

Anyway it was a good bike, able to navigate singapore roads quite well.

The other bikes all looked quite impressive. But I have a strong suspicion that they are beyond my budget.

Any bicycle lock can be broken, it just depends on how determine the thief is. Knew someone who would remove the bicycle seat & front wheel, to disuade casual thefts :p

The cheaper Cannonndale bikes start at $695, remember long ago when I was very young, a Raleigh(from England) bicycle cost only $100 to $200 :smile:

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have 8 bikes. The latest is a Fondriest TF1 with 11 speed campy.
thks uncle sam for seeing me so up :smile:. If you are so into bikes, I am assuming you will probably invest in the high end range. Since you said mid range is around $5k - 8k, and you have 8 bikes.... just assuming you spend an average of $6k on each bike to be on the low side, you have put in at least $48k on BIKES!!! Maybe I should have 'calibrated' my price range with yours first before I ask.... thanks anyway, now I feel so small......

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
thks uncle sam for seeing me so up :smile:. If you are so into bikes, I am assuming you will probably invest in the high end range. Since you said mid range is around $5k - 8k, and you have 8 bikes.... just assuming you spend an average of $6k on each bike to be on the low side, you have put in at least $48k on BIKES!!! Maybe I should have 'calibrated' my price range with yours first before I ask.... thanks anyway, now I feel so small......

why feel small for such material issue, i cycle my below 100dollars bicycle around with my muscular body,.. feel good. only people like sam leong need material stuff to cover up his ugly face, small dick , out of shape body, low self esteen..... just be urself bro..

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
spending so much money on bicycle is so wrong.

if you cycle for fitness, the heavier the bike, the harder you have to work, so more effective exercise.

if you cycle for competition, well yes, the sponsor pay for it.

spending so much on a bike, that you cannot park anywhere is so wrong.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

$5 to 8k is mid range? To you, or the entire nation? If 99% of the bikes bought in SG are $60 supermarket grade bikes, a $150-160 bike is already two to three times the national average bike price so even at that price it would be a far strech to term it is mid range, much less one costing $5 to $8k.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
What happened to all bikes are the same? I guess you have bad lungs, heart and legs?

They're from different eras. The oldest one dates back to 1968 with Legnano frame, Fiamme tubular rims, Unicanitor saddle and the original super record group set. It was my first real racing bike.

None of them help me go any faster. However, the latest technology does make the bike significantly lighter which would be an advantage in long climbs. On the flats, I can easily hold 40kph for about half an hour on any of them... even the 40 year old one.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
High end bikes range from 9k to 15k. It all depends on the choice of components. The less they weigh, the higher the price.

Eg : http://www.bikesale.com/2009-scott-addict-ltd.aspx. The wheels alone are worth around SGD5000.00

Spending $9 to $15k for a bike to shave 100 to 200 grams on lesser weight components? you could easily just skip that last char kway teow meal to achieve the same result for minus $3, no wonder Cheap John bicycle shop has boomed bigger than Cycle and Carriage as sole agent for Trek bicycles than Mercedes Benz. A pair of carbon fibre wheels to shave 100 grams, would set you back $2k or more, whereas the same money could get you a whole set of four alloy sports rims with tires in the car market.

BTW weight savings to achieve faster speed is so pre 1960s era thinking, those days many racers even drilled components compromising safety and durability for weight savings hoping they could go faster. Enter Greg Lemond and wind tunnel testing and the whole bike racing philosophy was changed to aerodynamics to achieve faster speed. Just slap on a $200 pair of aero bars on a $1 to $2k road bike would get you better results on straight roads like Changi Coast Road then a non-aero set-up $9-$15k bike, shaving off 100 grams.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
They're from different eras. The oldest one dates back to 1968 with Legnano frame, Fiamme tubular rims, Unicanitor saddle and the original super record group set. It was my first real racing bike.

None of them help me go any faster. However, the latest technology does make the bike significantly lighter which would be an advantage in long climbs. On the flats, I can easily hold 40kph for about half an hour on any of them... even the 40 year old one.

Oh so you claim so many bikes by dating back to 1960s huh? I must have countless bikes if I were to date back so far, beginning with my first three wheeler. I too had the Legnano with Fiamme tubular rims and Shimano 600 EX components.

Long climbs? I am sure you must be racing at the Alps de Huez every weekend. Mount Faber don't count as a long climb in my books.

And what latest technology to make bikes significantly lighter recently are you refering to? AFAIK super light CF bikes have been around since early 90s, almost twenty years ago, the last significant changes in bike technology in bike components worth mentioning was the STI and Ergo components, but that was more for convenience in gear shifting and would only contribute indirectly to speed gains through faster shifting.

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
why feel small for such material issue, i cycle my below 100dollars bicycle around with my muscular body,.. feel good. only people like sam leong need material stuff to cover up his ugly face, small dick , out of shape body, low self esteen..... just be urself bro..
I only feel small when I talk about bikes with Sam Leong.... :smile:, got better self esteem than that. Just that our priorities are different.

People, give Sam Leong a break, if he can afford to pay for his passion, in this case - bikes, so be it. No one should fault others for investing in something a person loves to do so much. Same as people who invest in cameras, the $$ people invest in fish, birds etc.....

To me, whether it's a $10000 bike or a $100 bike, as long as after the work out, I feel that I've achieved my goal - exercising the legs, lungs and heart ;P and a good sweat - it's good enough for me. To each his own :smile:. Cheers !

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Oh so you claim so many bikes by dating back to 1960s huh? I must have countless bikes if I were to date back so far, beginning with my first three wheeler. I too had the Legnano with Fiamme tubular rims and Shimano 600 EX components.

Long climbs? I am sure you must be racing at the Alps de Huez every weekend. Mount Faber don't count as a long climb in my books.

And what latest technology to make bikes significantly lighter recently are you refering to? AFAIK super light CF bikes have been around since early 90s, almost twenty years ago, the last significant changes in bike technology in bike components worth mentioning was the STI and Ergo components, but that was more for convenience in gear shifting and would only contribute indirectly to speed gains through faster shifting.

I have gone through 15 bikes in my lifetime. I kept the 8 which were my favourites and were representative of the era.

The biggest advances have been in applying carbon technology to wheels. Sub 900 gm wheelsets are now common.

I did the Alps (incl Alpe D'Huez) and Ventoux last year. I intend to do the Pyrenees next year and also give the Paris Roubaix cobblestones a go. I took my heavy bike to France. I didn't want to take take the risk of losing my expensive bike in transit.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

I don't have eight 8000 smacko bikes. I have ONE 10k bike I use for races. The one I use for regular training cost less than 1500 dollars.... centaur components, heavy wheels, alloy frame, $15 training tyres etc. My 40 year old Legnano bike cost me $500 when I bought it way back in 1968 from Kian Hong which was then situated in Cecil street.

I have lost track of how much I have spent on cycling stuff over the years but I doubt if it's as much as 48k... 30k perhaps.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have gone through 15 bikes in my lifetime. I kept the 8 which were my favourites and were representative of the era.

The biggest advances have been in applying carbon technology to wheels. Sub 900 gm wheelsets are now common.

I did the Alps (incl Alpe D'Huez) and Ventoux last year. I intend to do the Pyrenees next year and also give the Paris Roubaix cobblestones a go. I took my heavy bike to France. I didn't want to take take the risk of losing my expensive bike in transit.

Next time you're going there call me and I'll race you up. Yeah I'll bring my Aleoca Stumpen for the Paris Roubaix :wink: