• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Raid for personal computers

boylover

Alfrescian
Loyal
do you guys think that it's good to setup raid on your desktop? pros and cons please.

previous experience that when my harddisk crash, all data gone and have to go through the hassle to reinstall everything plus personal pictures all gone...

do i need to get a raid card or just put in another harddisk for the above purpose? using a dell dimension btw.

thanks in advance for your advice!:smile:

boylover

Alfrescian
Loyal
whoa lau eh! it will be waste of time, besides, i won't need to reinstall. and some precious pictures won't be lost. still trying to look for my old USA pictures.:(

regularly backup your data to USB harddisks.
raid is not needed for PC

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Raid is redundant backup. You don't even have ANY backup.

All you need is a portable USB drive and software that does smart backup every 24 hours or so. If your drive dies, you simply replace it and read everything back and you're up and running in about 30 minutes with EVERYTHING restored to the way it was.

It so easy. I'm dismayed that so few people bother and live to regret it sooner or later.

ALL hard drives die. It's just a matter of when. Even SSDs are not bulletproof.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

All you need is a portable USB drive and software that does smart backup every 24 hours or so. If your drive dies, you simply replace it and read everything back and you're up and running in about 30 minutes with EVERYTHING restored to the way it was.

It so easy. I'm dismayed that so few people bother and live to regret it sooner or later.

SSD....one bad electrical charge, "So Sorry, Dominic"...so to speak...windows restore is a pain, ok we shall not dive into this, too many memories...still we must back up everyday, my experience & the backups must have backups...what a weird world we live in, but that is the truth!

boylover

Alfrescian
Loyal
i see that you must be the host of this forum , boss sam leong. i have heard a lot about you, all good things!:smile:

what i am trying to achieve here is to kick in either harddisk should one fail.

those backup are crap! must sync here and there. and when primary harddisk fail, you still need to waste time go and reinstall every application.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i see that you must be the host of this forum , boss sam leong. i have heard a lot about you, all good things!:smile:

what i am trying to achieve here is to kick in either harddisk should one fail.

those backup are crap! must sync here and there. and when primary harddisk fail, you still need to waste time go and reinstall every application.

your sah kah kung fu very good, dunno to up you or zap you...headache :*:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

I would have thought windoze had solved those sorts of problems a long time ago. I guess I was wrong.

On my Mac, I have time machine. If my hard drive dies, I simply restore from my time machine and the new drive ends up EXACTLY the same as the old one without having to reinstall anything.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would have thought windoze had solved those sorts of problems a long time ago. I guess I was wrong.

On my Mac, I have time machine. If my hard drive dies, I simply restore from my time machine and the new drive ends up EXACTLY the same as the old one without having to reinstall anything.

Time Machine ha ha ha that was waht happened to one, In TIME MACHINE I trust...all his photos collection went into TIME; he sued Apple...

Remember you said, backups near backups..how many time machines are you using? 2T for 1T backup?:biggrin:

boylover

Alfrescian
Loyal
norton ghost is the timeline for windows.

Time Machine ha ha ha that was waht happened to one, In TIME MACHINE I trust...all his photos collection went into TIME; he sued Apple...

Remember you said, backups near backups..how many time machines are you using? 2T for 1T backup?:biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

All complex systems can fail. It's a matter of dealing with the odds. I consider the majority of my stuff to be 95% secure. My critical stuff... eg password files, is 99.9% secure as it is stored on at least 3 computers and 2 servers.

boylover

Alfrescian
Loyal
nowadays, the lifespan of harddisks are shockingly not as robust as first generation harddisks, i have previously 2 harddisks that failed me for the past 8 years.

kazuo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Redundancy Disk Array or RAID is for backing up your backup so to speak. Unless you are working with very huge files, like video clips, and require very high speeds to run demanding tasks like video editing, no need for RAID. You dun have to swap files or disks any way. Just buy several ext drives to back up, these days so cheap, USB 3.0 some more.

Last edited:

bugeyed

Alfrescian
Loyal
do you guys think that it's good to setup raid on your desktop? pros and cons please.

previous experience that when my harddisk crash, all data gone and have to go through the hassle to reinstall everything plus personal pictures all gone...

do i need to get a raid card or just put in another harddisk for the above purpose? using a dell dimension btw.

Use dedicated partition for your OS and data. Use Macrium Reflect Free Edition to back up image of your OS. When OS corrupts, just restore image in few minutes time. Data - manually back up to another hard disk.

Last edited:

boylover

Alfrescian
Loyal
still think that it's troublesome, i will just buy a raid card and use raid 1-mirroring for both my harddisks.

Use dedicated partition for your OS and data. Use Macrium Reflect Free Edition to back up image of your OS. When OS corrupts, just restore image in few minutes time. Data - manually back up to another hard disk.