• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Queue, queue, queue...what will you be queuing for?

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

China’s Singapore visa centre to take more emergency visa applications after long queues form daily​

2023-03-15T045408Z420277656RC24UZ9QW9R6RTRMADP3HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-CHINA-TRAVEL.JPG

A queue outside the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre in Singapore on March 15. PHOTO: REUTERS
ang_qing_0.png

Ang Qing

MAY 7, 2023

SINGAPORE - Applying for a Chinese visa will become easier for Singapore residents from Monday as the Chinese embassy here takes steps to address growing demand for travel to China.
China’s Ambassador to Singapore Sun Haiyan said in a Facebook post on Saturday that the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre will increase the number of daily appointments for emergency visa applications amid a “significant rise” in such applications.
Despite China’s reversal of its strict Covid-19 pandemic restrictions, it has not resumed visa-free travel for Singaporeans. This has led to long lines as people here apply to travel to China for work and study, tourism or to visit relatives.
The increase in visa applications has been accompanied by problems such as long waiting times for appointment slots. Checks by The Straits Times on Saturday found that the next available slot for a visa appointment is on June 7.
In April, Chinese-language daily Lianhe Zaobao reported long queues daily outside the centre, with a line of about 200 people forming as early as an hour before the centre opened its doors.
Ms Sun said the centre will adjust the process for emergency visa applications from Monday so that applicants need not line up in the scorching heat.
First, appointments for an emergency visa must be made online instead of queueing on site.

Second, the number of daily appointments will increase.
From 4pm to 6pm on each working day, the centre’s website will issue between 200 and 250 appointment numbers for emergency visa applications for the following day.
These additional numbers will not entail extra charges.
The existing two methods of online appointment and visa application for humanitarian purposes via the centre’s green channel remain unchanged.
Due to the high demand for visas in recent days, applicants are advised by the embassy to make appointments in advance and schedule their itinerary accordingly.
Ms Sun said: “The embassy and the centre are doing our best within our scope of duty to facilitate the process and offer better application experience.”
Since March, China has resumed issuing a range of visas to foreigners, with those having valid visas issued before March 28, 2020, being permitted entry to China
Is Tanwahtiu in the queue too? I believe he needs to submit his yearly KPI report to Winnie Xi.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope he can donate all his organs to his commie party. He should prove his loyalty by action.
The CCP will harvest his organs and transplant to the octogenarian CCP politburo members.
He will be awarded the CCP Red Star Award by Winnie.:laugh:

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Long queues at Singapore Pools outlets for $8.6m Toto draw​

mi_toto_100122.jpg

People queueing at Singapore Pools authorised retailer Tong Aik Huat in Hougang Street 61 on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

View attachment 131058
People queueing at Singapore Pools authorised retailer Fatt Chye Heng Trading in Hougang Avenue 3 on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI

Rosalind Ang and Gena Soh

Jan 10, 2022

SINGAPORE - Snaking queues of punters were seen at Singapore Pools outlets on the weekend and on Monday (Jan 10) waiting to buy tickets in hopes of winning the jackpot prize of $8.6 million.
The Toto top prize had snowballed to $8.6 million after there were no winners for last Friday's New Year $5 million draw.
The draw took place at 6.30pm on Monday.
The Straits Times visited two Singapore Pools authorised retailers Fatt Chye Heng Trading and Tong Aik Huat located in Hougang Avenue 3 and Street 61 respectively.
Both had snaking queues of 30 to 80 people during lunch hours, with waiting times of between 15 and 30 minutes.
Yellow tape was used to mark out 1m of safe distancing on the ground outside the outlets for punters to adhere to in the queue, to reduce the risk of Covid-19 transmission.
Despite the lack of markings as the queue continued around the neighbouring Housing Board blocks, punters abided by safe distancing rules by staying 1m apart.

People of all ages were seen in the queue, from elderly to young adults.
Similar queues were seen at the basement of the Northpoint City mall in Yishun on Sunday (Jan 9), Chinese-language evening paper Shin Min Daily News reported.
Many punters that ST spoke to did not have high hopes of winning the grand prize, but had came just to try their luck.

At Tong Aik Huat, a construction worker who wanted to be known only as Mr Singam, 42, said he was there to place bets for his friends and himself despite having only 20 minutes of lunch break.
"I've never won any prizes, but I don't buy Toto that often - only once in two weeks," he said.
hztong100122.jpg

The queue at Tong Aik Huat in Hougang Street 61 on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM
First-year university student Yuki Leong, 22, said she hopes she can donate part of the prize money to charity if she wins.
"I'll use the rest of the money to treat my family to a good meal and save the rest for school fees. Even though the chance of winning isn't high, I just want try my luck as Chinese New Year is coming and the prize money is higher," added the first-time Toto buyer.
At Fatt Chye Heng, a man who wished to be known only as Mr Pang, 49, a construction supervisor, said:"I'm here to buy Toto because sometimes there's not enough money and this time round there will be $8.6 million up for grabs.
"But even if I don't win, I think Toto gives me hope of giving my family a better quality of life, and I think that's the importance of betting at all."

Mr Jurame Rabai, 55, a lorry driver at a logistic company, said he hopes to become a millionaire overnight, but recognises it is "out of his hands".
"Buying Toto depends on your luck, maybe your luck is there or not there, but who knows? Only God knows," he said.
He added that he had placed a bet of about $50 and that he would be happy even with a small win of $40.
af_ntucclementi_100122.jpg

People queueing at the Singapore Pools outlet at the NTUC FairPrice supermarket in Clementi Avenue 3 on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: THADDEUS ANG
Security officer Jaswant Singh, 65, who was at Tong Aik Huat, was equally realistic about his chances of hitting the big jackpot, saying that he has been buying Toto and 4-D weekly for more than 30 years and only managed to win small prizes of about $1,000.
"It's very rare to win big prizes in Toto. But if I win, I'd like to donate part of the money to some charities and give the rest of my money to my children," said Mr Singh, who was able to join the queue as he works night shifts.
Go to Huat Big Big hah

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Coldplay sell out all 6 shows as fans line up at SingPost outlets islandwide for tickets​

rrtixcoldplay2006.jpg

(From left) Ms Adrienne Chue, Ms Jamie Ang, Ms Elsa Tan and Mr Alex Gazza at SingPost's Toa Payoh outlet after obtaining Coldplay tickets.

rrcoldplaylongq2006.jpg

Fans at SingPost's Ang Mo Kio outlet arrived at around 6am, with more than 40 people in the queue.

rrghimmohcoldplay2006.jpg

People began queueing from 3am at SingPost's Ghim Moh outlet.

JUN 22, 2023, 4:03 PM SGT

SINGAPORE – Tickets for all six of British band Coldplay’s concerts in Singapore, as part of their Music Of The Spheres world tour, have sold out.
This comes after the band added an unprecedented fifth and sixth show to take place on Jan 30 and Jan 31, 2024 – announced by promoter Live Nation on Monday and Tuesday respectively – following the sale of more than 200,000 tickets for their original four shows on Jan 23, 24, 26 and 27 at the National Stadium.
After failing to get tickets during the Monday pre-sales, barista Casey James decided to start queueing at SingPost’s Sengkang Community Centre outlet from midnight on Tuesday.
The 20-year-old and her friend were two out of 70 people in the queue on Tuesday morning, waiting for general sales to open at 10am.
She told The Straits Times that her experience with online pre-sales was unsuccessful, as her preferred tickets had sold out within a few hours.
Ms James, who went early to get a spot at the front of the queue, said that she had taken a nap before going.
She said: “It’s Coldplay, so I expected the queues to be long. But it’s worth it, because to see them live would be absolutely magical.”

rrtix2006.jpg

Ms Casey James (right) and her friend, after obtaining their preferred tickets for Coldplay in Singapore. ST PHOTO: SUZANNE CHAN
After getting tickets, Ms James and her friend were giggling with excitement as they walked out of SingPost.
“I feel so accomplished,” she said.
“I am quite happy about the process, but I feel like it could have been improved, and it was tough to just stand around and wait,” she added.

Fans lined up at SingPost outlets islandwide on Tuesday morning to queue for tickets after pre-sales on Monday sold out within five hours, with more than a million virtual queue numbers issued.

Many fans faced technical issues during the Monday pre-sales, such as blank ticketing screens and getting kicked out of the queue.

At SingPost’s Ghim Moh outlet, people were queueing from 3am, two of whom were husband and wife Balasupramaniam and Sharlot Lizardo, who co-own a business in the construction industry.
Madam Lizardo said she was looking to score tickets for her parents and siblings, who are big fans of Coldplay.
“I’ve heard that they have a lot of energy and they’re known for their good performances and their shows’ special effects,” said the 35-year-old.
Her husband, 48, said: “They’re one of the bands we must watch, so we can tick that off our bucket list.”
yucoldplaytix2006a.jpg

Mr Balasupramaniam and his wife Madam Sharlot Lizardo outside SingPost's Ghim Moh outlet after obtaining Coldplay tickets. ST PHOTO: CHRISTINE SIOW

He added that he felt hopeful at the Ghim Moh outlet as it was an “estate with more older folk” and expected demand to be less than that at other outlets serving a higher number of younger residents.
The couple managed to obtain 12 Category 1 tickets, each priced at $298, for more than $3,500.
“We wanted to have our family sit together,” Madam Lizardo said, adding that she is happy and excited that she gets to watch the concert during her husband’s birthday month.
Fans at SingPost’s Ang Mo Kio outlet arrived at about 6am, with more than 40 people in the queue.
rramkcoldplayq2006.jpg

There were about 50 people at the SingPost Ang Mo Kio Central Post Office at around 9.30am on June 20. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
Ms Jamie Foo, 31, who gave up on Ticketmaster after getting kicked out twice on Monday, decided to try her luck queueing in person.
“It was really frustrating that, despite my best efforts and following instructions on the website, it just didn’t work for me,” said the senior manager at an American multinational corporation, who took leave just to queue for the tickets on Tuesday.
After three hours of queueing, Ms Foo managed to obtain four Category 1 tickets. She said: “I am mostly relieved, and today made me realise that the manual option still works the best.”
20230620107260144img5672.jpg

Ms Jamie Foo decided to try her luck queueing in person at SingPost’s Ang Mo Kio outlet. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
Coldplay to play unprecedented four nights at National Stadium in January 2024
Indonesian bride receives coveted Coldplay concert tickets as dowry from groom
Those in line at some SingPost outlets received forms allowing them to fill out their personal details, how many tickets they would be purchasing and to rank their preferred categories.
Online, nearly a million virtual queue numbers were issued on Tuesday for general sales. Tickets for the first five concerts were released at 10am and sold out by 11.45am.
rrtpycoldplay2006.jpg

Fans lined up at SingPost outlets islandwide on Tuesday morning to queue for tickets to Coldplay’s concerts. ST PHOTOS: REBEKAH CHIA
rrform2006.jpg

Forms to fill out their personal details, how many tickets they would be purchasing and to rank their preferred categories. ST PHOTO: REBEKAH CHIA
Mr Lex Pang, 23, and his girlfriend Nikki Pang, 24, tried their luck online on both days, but were unable to obtain tickets.
Ms Pang, a digital marketing executive, said that by the time she managed to enter the ticketing website on Tuesday for general sales, the shows were sold out.
“It seemed like they did not allocate enough for general sales,” she said, adding that website issues had caused her to be kicked out of the queue on both days.
Mr Pang, a student, said he wanted to get tickets this time as he had been unable to do so when the rock band last came to Singapore in 2017.
The couple eventually secured their tickets with the help of a family member who had queued since 7am at SingPost’s Simpang Bedok outlet.
Coldplay’s six-show run in Singapore for their Music Of The Spheres world tour puts the Republic on a par with countries such as England (six shows) and Mexico (seven shows). Argentina and Brazil had 10 and 11 shows respectively.
Organiser Live Nation said on Tuesday that Coldplay are the first act to play six nights at Singapore’s National Stadium.
The band’s 2017 Singapore show saw them rock the National Stadium over two nights.
Formed in London in 1997, Coldplay have released a string of hits over the years, such as Yellow, Viva La Vida, A Sky Full Of Stars and Higher Power.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

‘Butterflies in our stomachs’: SingPost staff brace for swarm of Taylor Swift fans on ticket sale day​

yutaylorswift0407_1.jpg

Taylor Swift (pictured) and Coldplay's six-night runs are officially the biggest concerts staged in Singapore. PHOTO: REUTERS
eddino_abdul_hadi.png

Eddino Abdul Hadi
Music Correspondent

July 3, 2023

SINGAPORE – Taylor Swift fans will not be the only anxious ones when general tickets to the American pop star’s Singapore concerts at the National Stadium go on sale on Friday.
SingPost staff manning the branch counters islandwide are also getting ready for the crowds, just like how Coldplay fans formed long queues for tickets when general sales kicked off on June 20.
All tickets to the British rock band’s six concerts at the National Stadium on Jan 23, 24, 26, 27, 30 and 31 sold out quickly after going on sale. The first batch of presale tickets were released online a day before general sales.
The demand for Swift’s six nights at the same venue on March 2, 3, 4, 7, 8 and 9 is also expected to be high. Besides SingPost outlets, general tickets are also sold online at ticketing agency Ticketmaster’s website and through a telephone hotline.
While SingPost branches have also sold tickets for other popular gigs such as K-pop girl group Blackpink’s May 13 and 14 shows at the National Stadium, Coldplay and Swift’s six-night runs are officially the biggest concerts staged in Singapore.
Ms Nurul Ashikin, branch manager at SingPost’s Tiong Bahru Post Office outlet, recalls how all branches saw a surge in customers after word spread among Coldplay fans that there was a higher chance of success in getting concert tickets physically through the post offices.

Tiong20Bahru20PO20BM20Nurul20Ashikin_1.jpg

Ms Nurul Ashikin, branch manager at SingPost’s Tiong Bahru Post Office outlet, enjoys meeting enthusiastic concertgoers. PHOTO: SINGPOST
“The exhilaration and anxiety will start to kick in at least a day before the ticket sales start, as we know a lot of customers are counting on us to secure a ticket for them to see their idols,” says the 37-year-old.

Still, she adds, there is “a massive sense of being victorious and great satisfaction” when customers are successful. “I love the challenge and opportunity to meet enthusiastic concertgoers.”
Ms Doris Lee, 49, branch manager at SingPost’s Jurong East Post Office, says: “We tend to have butterflies in our stomachs and feel as excited as the fans. The (feeling of achievement) is great when we see them jumping with joy, and they really appreciate our efforts.”
Doris20Lee_1.jpg

Ms Doris Lee, branch manager at SingPost’s Jurong East Post Office, gets excited when fans throng the outlet for concert tickets. PHOTO: SINGPOST
Many of those who queue for concert tickets at the outlets are familiar faces, says Mr Eugenio Sabado Duque Jr, branch manager at SingPost’s Tanglin Post Office.
“Most of our Ticketmaster customers are repeat customers who were successful in their previous purchases, so it’s a good feeling seeing them once in a while, and sharing the excitement and anticipation,” adds the 44-year-old.
Tanglin20PO20BM20Eugenio_1.jpg

Mr Eugenio Sabado Duque Jr, branch manager at SingPost’s Tanglin Post Office, and his colleagues has handled crowds of music fans buying concert tickets. PHOTO: SINGPOST
All three SingPost staff advise fans to familarise themselves with Ticketmaster’s rules and regulations governing the general ticket sales for Swift’s concerts.
For example, only those who pre-registered and received access codes can buy general sale tickets.
While SingPost branches have different opening hours, many fans camped overnight in the case of the Coldplay general sale, hoping to be at the front of the queue.
Says Ms Lee: “Be prepared to come early, and we will do our best.”

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal

‘Butterflies in our stomachs’: SingPost staff brace for swarm of Taylor Swift fans on ticket sale day​

yutaylorswift0407_1.jpg

Taylor Swift (pictured) and Coldplay's six-night runs are officially the biggest concerts staged in Singapore. PHOTO: REUTERS
eddino_abdul_hadi.png

Eddino Abdul Hadi
Music Correspondent

July 3, 2023

SINGAPORE – Taylor Swift fans will not be the only anxious ones when general tickets to the American pop star’s Singapore concerts at the National Stadium go on sale on Friday.
SingPost staff manning the branch counters islandwide are also getting ready for the crowds, just like how Coldplay fans formed long queues for tickets when general sales kicked off on June 20.
All tickets to the British rock band’s six concerts at the National Stadium on Jan 23, 24, 26, 27, 30 and 31 sold out quickly after going on sale. The first batch of presale tickets were released online a day before general sales.
The demand for Swift’s six nights at the same venue on March 2, 3, 4, 7, 8 and 9 is also expected to be high. Besides SingPost outlets, general tickets are also sold online at ticketing agency Ticketmaster’s website and through a telephone hotline.
While SingPost branches have also sold tickets for other popular gigs such as K-pop girl group Blackpink’s May 13 and 14 shows at the National Stadium, Coldplay and Swift’s six-night runs are officially the biggest concerts staged in Singapore.
Ms Nurul Ashikin, branch manager at SingPost’s Tiong Bahru Post Office outlet, recalls how all branches saw a surge in customers after word spread among Coldplay fans that there was a higher chance of success in getting concert tickets physically through the post offices.

Tiong20Bahru20PO20BM20Nurul20Ashikin_1.jpg

Ms Nurul Ashikin, branch manager at SingPost’s Tiong Bahru Post Office outlet, enjoys meeting enthusiastic concertgoers. PHOTO: SINGPOST
“The exhilaration and anxiety will start to kick in at least a day before the ticket sales start, as we know a lot of customers are counting on us to secure a ticket for them to see their idols,” says the 37-year-old.

Still, she adds, there is “a massive sense of being victorious and great satisfaction” when customers are successful. “I love the challenge and opportunity to meet enthusiastic concertgoers.”
Ms Doris Lee, 49, branch manager at SingPost’s Jurong East Post Office, says: “We tend to have butterflies in our stomachs and feel as excited as the fans. The (feeling of achievement) is great when we see them jumping with joy, and they really appreciate our efforts.”
Doris20Lee_1.jpg

Ms Doris Lee, branch manager at SingPost’s Jurong East Post Office, gets excited when fans throng the outlet for concert tickets. PHOTO: SINGPOST
Many of those who queue for concert tickets at the outlets are familiar faces, says Mr Eugenio Sabado Duque Jr, branch manager at SingPost’s Tanglin Post Office.
“Most of our Ticketmaster customers are repeat customers who were successful in their previous purchases, so it’s a good feeling seeing them once in a while, and sharing the excitement and anticipation,” adds the 44-year-old.
Tanglin20PO20BM20Eugenio_1.jpg

Mr Eugenio Sabado Duque Jr, branch manager at SingPost’s Tanglin Post Office, and his colleagues has handled crowds of music fans buying concert tickets. PHOTO: SINGPOST
All three SingPost staff advise fans to familarise themselves with Ticketmaster’s rules and regulations governing the general ticket sales for Swift’s concerts.
For example, only those who pre-registered and received access codes can buy general sale tickets.
While SingPost branches have different opening hours, many fans camped overnight in the case of the Coldplay general sale, hoping to be at the front of the queue.
Says Ms Lee: “Be prepared to come early, and we will do our best.”
Uncle rarely will queue for anything in his life.
Coldplay concert is 1 of them but not swift.
Reason is that Coldplay's songs are more relevant for a live performance whereas swift songs are better to be in studio recording.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Queues at SingPost outlets start two days before general sale of Taylor Swift tickets​

2023070535240662bum0874-01_12.jpg

(From left) Polytechnic student Nellie Titus and her friends Rebekah Loh, Megan Choy and Lynette Saw turned up at Lim Ah Pin Post Office in Kovan on Wednesday at 10.30pm. ST PHOTO: ARIFFIN JAMAR
Ashley Chin, Suzanne Chan and Dillon Loh

July 6, 2023

SINGAPORE – The next battle in The Great War for Taylor Swift concert tickets is under way, after the pre-sale tickets to the American pop star’s Singapore shows in March 2024 sold out within three hours on Wednesday.
After failing to snag tickets at Wednesday’s pre-sale for United Overseas Bank (UOB) cardholders, several local Swifties, the singer’s fans are called, are not leaving anything to chance for the general sale, which begins at noon on Friday.
Propelled by anxiety and desperation, these hardcore fans began queueing two days in advance at SingPost branches, hoping to be among the first in line when general ticket sales open.
And it looks like the efforts of early birds will pay off.
SingPost announced on their social media channels on Thursday at 1pm that the chances of purchasing tickets are “very low beyond the 30th position in the queue” due to “overwhelming demand and based on SingPost’s past experiences in popular concert ticket sales”.
The post added that only fans with valid access codes from an earlier pre-registration exercise will be allowed to join the queues and tickets will be sold on a first-come first-served basis for access code holders only.

Polytechnic student Nellie Titus, 18, and her friends turned up at Lim Ah Pin Post Office in Kovan on Wednesday at 10.30pm. Her elder sister Nicolette, a 21-year-old who is waiting to enter university, was first to secure her queueing spot there at 3.45pm.

Their group had planned to queue only the night before the general sale, if they were unsuccessful during the UOB pre-sale.
However, an article that appeared in The Straits Times on Tuesday intensified their stress – the story “outed” the Lim Ah Pin post office as being relatively less crowded than other branches and hence providing fans a higher chance of securing tickets.
“We were so scared and low-key mad (when the article came out),” said Ms Titus.

Ticketing platform Ticketmaster – the alternative method which requires fans to join an online queue – was out of the question for them as it “usually crashes and doesn’t handle huge volume well”.
Ms Titus told ST: “Usually, if you’re first in line at SingPost, the success rate is pretty high from what we’ve seen.”
She decided on Lim Ah Pin Post Office as their party of eight live near the location. Although it is hidden behind an Esso petrol station, she said they felt safe to camp there due to its proximity to Upper Serangoon Road and popular late-night eateries.
It helps that their homes are nearby and their family members are willing to take turns to stand in line for them when they need a break. The girls have also drawn up a roster for themselves, allowing them to leave the queue at different times for various commitments like attending school.
Together, the group has prepared picnic mats, foldable camping chairs, umbrellas, portable chargers and snacks to get through the two-night stay.
Responding to haters who might dismiss them for going to such extremes, polytechnic student Rebekah Loh, 18, said: “I don’t think we’re crazy. We’re just dedicated fans.”
Hoping to be second time lucky, another fan, Ms Casey James, was first in line with a friend at Sengkang Central Post Office at 5pm on Wednesday.
Not only is this the branch nearest to her home, but it was also where she recently scored tickets in June to British rock band Coldplay’s January 2024 concert by queueing the night before.
The 20-year-old barista, who is on leave these few days, said: “I had only one meal today because during the pre-sale, we were so stressed that we were crying and breaking down and couldn’t eat. I did not plan to come so early this time, but after the whole UOB debacle where the Ticketmaster site kept crashing, I felt that’s what everyone would do. And Taylor is a bigger artiste than Coldplay, so the pressure is there.”
Q220copy_12.jpg

Ms Casey James was the first in line at the Sengkang Community Club SingPost branch on Wednesday night. PHOTO: SUZANNE CHAN
She added: “The one constant thing in my life has always been her music, no matter what I was going through. And I love her as a person, I really look up to her. I don’t think there’s any other artiste I would go this far for.”
On how she and her friend intend to survive two days of queueing, she pointed to a few rocks she arranged in a circle around a Swift album cover, calling it her “manifestation stuff”.
She added: “We have Monopoly playing cards, I have a ukulele and I brought my fully charged laptop, but I won’t use it unless I really need to.”
T120copy_12.jpg

(From left) Ms Anyi Ye, Ms Charmaine Cheng and Ms Joie Tan outside the Ang Mo Kio Central SingPost Post Office on Wednesday night. PHOTO: DILLON LOH
Over at Ang Mo Kio Central Post Office, student Anyi Ye, 19, who is on a term break, was the earliest to arrive at 7.30pm.
She, too, did not plan to camp out for two days. However, once she heard that queues had begun to form at other SingPost outlets from a Taylor Swift fan Telegram group, she rushed down as fast as she could.
Said Ms Ye, who lives 10 minutes from the post office and will be taking turns to take toilet and food breaks with her friend: “I was so excited when I was the first one here. It is the best opportunity to secure my tickets. I’ve been listening to Taylor Swift since I was five. I’ve been waiting my whole life for this.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Taylor Swift fans told to leave SingPost outlets inside malls when they close​

4 of 5
2023070697367542snapseed_0.jpg

People taking photos of the queue for Taylor Swift tickets outside Hougang Mall on July 6, 2023. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG
Gabrielle Chan and Dillon Loh

July 6, 2023

SINGAPORE – Fans of American singer Taylor Swift who have been queueing at SingPost outlets inside malls, were told on Thursday they must leave when the premises close.
At Woodlands Civic Centre, a queue formed outside the mall after those queueing inside were told by SingPost staff to leave.
At about 8pm, there were about 40 people queueing outside the mall.
Two students queuing at Hougang Mall said SingPost staff told them when the mall closes, security guards would get them to queue outside the building.
At Northpoint City in Yishun, SingPost staff said members of the public had been asking about buying concert tickets.
The SingPost staff said they told them they would have to leave the mall when it closed at night. There were no queues outside the mall at 7.30pm on Thursday.
This is hours before Swift’s concert tickets go on general sale at noon on Friday.

Hundreds of fans have been queueing at SingPost outlets islandwide since Wednesday afternoon.
2023070631316327wty2822_0.jpg

Fans queueing outside the SingPost outlet in Bukit Panjang on July 6, 2023. ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE
Only those who received an access code can buy tickets from SingPost. Access codes were sent to selected individuals who registered for the general sale.
The Straits Times spoke to over 30 fans across 12 SingPost outlets on Wednesday and Thursday, in areas like Bukit Panjang, Ang Mo Kio and Tampines.

First in line at the queue outside Woodlands Civic Centre was Mr Leroy Ng, 31, and his girlfriend, Ms Shermaine Lee, 29, who had arrived at 5am on Thursday.
Mr Ng said at around 4 pm, he and around 20 other fans, were asked by the mall’s management staff to move outside the mall.
WhatsApp20Image202023-07-0620at2020.13.27_0.jpg

Mr Leroy Ng, 31, was first in line outside Woodlands Civic Centre after mall management told him to move outside. ST PHOTO: DILLOH LOH
One of the students at Hougang Mall, Gabriel Boo, 18, who had been queueing since 1pm, said SingPost staff told them at 8pm to find their own spots to queue when the building closed.
He said: “We were told we would have to comply with security. It is my first time queueing for tickets, and I skipped class for this.”
2023070636774275snapseed_0.jpg

Fans Gabriel Boo (left) and Joy Kwok, who are first in line for Taylor Swift concert tickets, eating their dinner as they prepare to camp overnight outside Hougang Mall on July 6, 2023. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG
A SingPost spokesman told The Straits Times the public are not allowed to queue at outlets located within malls. This is because tenancy agreements with the malls generally do not allow any tenants to operate outside of the mall’s operating hours.
She said: “If anyone would like to queue at our post offices that are located within malls, they can head to the post office once the mall is open.”
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
Queues at SingPost outlets start two days before general sale of Taylor Swift tickets
UOB pre-sale tickets for Taylor Swift sell out within 3 hours; over 1 million queue numbers issued
For outlets located outside malls, the process was simpler.
National University of Singapore student Nathanael Lim, 21, was queueing at Block 203 Toa Payoh North at 2.10pm on Thursday, 22 hours before tickets were sold. He said he was queueing for himself and three friends.
Pulling out some snacks, a portable charger and fan, Nintendo Switch, and a toothbrush, he said: “It’s going to be a long night.”
Another student Mr Lim Shijie, 17, who had bought tickets during Wednesday’s pre-sale, went to SingPost’s Serangoon Gardens outlet on Thursday where he has been queueing since 11am.
WhatsApp20Image202023-07-0620at2016.19.22_1.jpg

Mr Lim Shijie, 17, along with his girlfriend and friend, queued up since 11am on Thursday at SingPost's Serangoon Gardens outlet to buy Taylor Swift tickets. ST PHOTO: REBEKAH CHIA
Ninth in line, he said he had used 10 devices on Wednesday to buy four tickets for his girlfriend and her family, but wanted to get eight more for his friends.
Mr Lim said: “I am confident in my chances, I’m not queueing 24 hours for nothing.”
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
Over 460 victims lost at least $480k to concert ticket scams since January
International back-up plans and multiple contingencies: How I’m strategising for Taylor Swift tickets
Multiple group chats - used to discuss queueing strategies, and to post updates on SingPost queues - were set up on messaging platform Telegram.
They had up to 15,000 members each, who have been constantly updating which outlet was the most crowded.
According to the group chats, there were queues at every outlet by 1pm.
WhatsApp20Image202023-07-0620at2017.23.42_0.jpg

20-year-old Ng Wan Xin and her boyfriend queuing up for Taylor Swift tickets. ST PHOTO: DILLOH LOH
At the Bukit Panjang outlet, Ms Ng Wan Xin, 20, and her boyfriend were sitting on a mat with some snacks and games. They had been there since 8am on Thursday.
When asked what would happen if she could not get tickets, she said: “I don’t even want to think about it.”
WhatsApp20Image202023-07-0620at2017.23.43_0.jpg

Ms Ng Wan Xin her boyfriend brought a Nintendo Switch, Books and downloaded 6 movies to pass the time while waiting in the queue. ST PHOTO: DILLOH LOH
Cleaning assistant Madam Cass Tey, 45, who was queueing at the outlet at Ocean Financial Centre at Raffles Place for her 16-year-old daughter, said she took leave for this.
She said: “My daughter cried when she did not get tickets, and I could feel her pain when she said all her friends got tickets, and she did not.”
On Thursday, SingPost announced on social media the chances of purchasing tickets were very low beyond the 30th position in the queue. This was due to overwhelming demand and based on SingPost’s past experiences in popular concert ticket sales.

Swift, 33, will be performing for six nights – from March 2 to 4 and from 7 to 9, 2024 – for her Eras Tour at the National Stadium. About 300,000 fans are expected to attend.
Tickets cost between $108 and $1,228. Pre-sale tickets were sold out within three hours, on Wednesday.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

8-hour jam to enter JB via Causeway on Sep. 1, Polling Day​

The brightest stretch of road in the world.
Ruth Chai
September 01, 2023

IMG_4601-1.jpeg

Travellers heading to Johor, Malaysia via the Causeway on Friday evening, Sep. 1, 2023 — Polling Day — are finding themselves stuck in a massive eight-hour jam.

For context, that's as long as a flight to Japan or Korea.

Photos from the Land Transport Authority (LTA) Causeway monitoring cameras showed the land crossing at Woodlands jam packed with vehicles.

IMG_4601.jpeg
Photo via LTA

IMG_4602.jpeg
Photo via LTA

Members of a Telegram group chat monitoring the jam reported the queue to be approximately eight hours long at 7pm.

IMG_4609.jpeg
Photo via Telegram

IMG_4610.jpeg
Photo via Telegram

If you are thinking of travelling to Johor by bus, think again.
Photos of the situation at the checkpoint showed a similar situation — with human bodies packed closely together.

IMG_4611.jpeg
Photo via Facebook

customs-jam-polling-day.jpg
By Mothership reader

However, the Tuas Second Link appeared largely empty.

IMG_4605.jpeg
Tuas checkpoint. Photo via LTA

IMG_4607.jpeg
Second Link Checkpoint. Photo via LTA

Making use of the long weekend​

About 52 per cent of Singapore's eligible voters had cast their votes from 8am to 12pm.
Voters who cast their ballots early could make use of the public holiday for other activities.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Presidential election: Singaporeans advised to vote throughout the day, long morning queues eased​

1 of 9
fhwismageylang010923.jpg

Voters queueing at the polling station in Wisma Geylang Serai on Sept 1, 2023. ST PHOTO: JASON QUAH
Amanda%20Lee_0.png

Amanda Lee
Correspondent

SEP 2, 2023

SINGAPORE – Singaporeans are advised to head for their designated polling stations throughout the day on Friday, as there were long queues at some polling stations in the morning.
In an update on Friday, the Elections Department (ELD) said the queues have improved at most polling stations.
Long queues formed at polling stations islandwide before they opened at 8am.
There was a queue of about 100 at a polling station at the void deck of Block 307 Jurong East Street 32.
At Yangzheng Primary School in Serangoon, there were up to 60 voters in the queue as at 8.10am.
About 200 people were queueing at Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Secondary School at around 9am.
Other polling stations with long queues were in Toa Payoh and at Anderson Serangoon Junior College, Katong Community Centre and Block 533 Pasir Ris Drive 1.

Earlier on Friday, the ELD had advised voters to cast their votes in the afternoon, “when the queues are usually shorter”.
“We seek voters’ patience and understanding as we clear the morning queue,” it said then.
The Straits Times understands that e-registration was down at some polling stations, such as Kuo Chuan Presbyterian Secondary School, Block 9 Toh Yi Drive, and the Ministry of Education headquarters in Balestier.
aiqueuebefore.jpg

People queueing to vote at 636 Veerasamy Road at about 8.50am on Sept 1, 2023. ST PHOTO: SHINTARO TAY
aiqueueafter.jpg

The crowd eased at 636 Veerasamy Road at about 9.50am on Sept 1, 2023. ST PHOTO: SHINTARO TAY
The ELD said that technical issues with the e-registration system are progressively being resolved. It did not elaborate further.
Some voters said they had queued for at least 40 minutes and cited issues with the voter registration system.
One of them was Ms Chloe Woon, 38, who arrived at 8am at Yangzheng Primary School. Ms Woon, who works in communications, said she had to queue for about 40 minutes before being able to cast her vote.
She said election officials were directing the elderly to a separate queue.
fhpriority010923.jpg

A priority queue at the polling station at Nanyang Primary School on Sept 1, 2023. ST PHOTO: JUDITH TAN
At Katong Community Centre, a voter who wanted to be known as Madam Neo spent about 45 minutes at the polling station.
The housewife, who is in her 50s, said: “The machines took very long to scan my IC, and there was a long queue because there were only two machines.”