• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Queue, queue, queue...what will you be queuing for?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Long queues at Singapore Pools outlets for $8.6m Toto draw​

mi_toto_100122.jpg

People queueing at Singapore Pools authorised retailer Tong Aik Huat in Hougang Street 61 on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

1641819257558.png

People queueing at Singapore Pools authorised retailer Fatt Chye Heng Trading in Hougang Avenue 3 on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI

Rosalind Ang and Gena Soh

Jan 10, 2022

SINGAPORE - Snaking queues of punters were seen at Singapore Pools outlets on the weekend and on Monday (Jan 10) waiting to buy tickets in hopes of winning the jackpot prize of $8.6 million.
The Toto top prize had snowballed to $8.6 million after there were no winners for last Friday's New Year $5 million draw.
The draw took place at 6.30pm on Monday.
The Straits Times visited two Singapore Pools authorised retailers Fatt Chye Heng Trading and Tong Aik Huat located in Hougang Avenue 3 and Street 61 respectively.
Both had snaking queues of 30 to 80 people during lunch hours, with waiting times of between 15 and 30 minutes.
Yellow tape was used to mark out 1m of safe distancing on the ground outside the outlets for punters to adhere to in the queue, to reduce the risk of Covid-19 transmission.
Despite the lack of markings as the queue continued around the neighbouring Housing Board blocks, punters abided by safe distancing rules by staying 1m apart.

People of all ages were seen in the queue, from elderly to young adults.
Similar queues were seen at the basement of the Northpoint City mall in Yishun on Sunday (Jan 9), Chinese-language evening paper Shin Min Daily News reported.
Many punters that ST spoke to did not have high hopes of winning the grand prize, but had came just to try their luck.

At Tong Aik Huat, a construction worker who wanted to be known only as Mr Singam, 42, said he was there to place bets for his friends and himself despite having only 20 minutes of lunch break.
"I've never won any prizes, but I don't buy Toto that often - only once in two weeks," he said.
hztong100122.jpg

The queue at Tong Aik Huat in Hougang Street 61 on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM
First-year university student Yuki Leong, 22, said she hopes she can donate part of the prize money to charity if she wins.
"I'll use the rest of the money to treat my family to a good meal and save the rest for school fees. Even though the chance of winning isn't high, I just want try my luck as Chinese New Year is coming and the prize money is higher," added the first-time Toto buyer.
At Fatt Chye Heng, a man who wished to be known only as Mr Pang, 49, a construction supervisor, said:"I'm here to buy Toto because sometimes there's not enough money and this time round there will be $8.6 million up for grabs.
"But even if I don't win, I think Toto gives me hope of giving my family a better quality of life, and I think that's the importance of betting at all."

Mr Jurame Rabai, 55, a lorry driver at a logistic company, said he hopes to become a millionaire overnight, but recognises it is "out of his hands".
"Buying Toto depends on your luck, maybe your luck is there or not there, but who knows? Only God knows," he said.
He added that he had placed a bet of about $50 and that he would be happy even with a small win of $40.
af_ntucclementi_100122.jpg

People queueing at the Singapore Pools outlet at the NTUC FairPrice supermarket in Clementi Avenue 3 on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: THADDEUS ANG
Security officer Jaswant Singh, 65, who was at Tong Aik Huat, was equally realistic about his chances of hitting the big jackpot, saying that he has been buying Toto and 4-D weekly for more than 30 years and only managed to win small prizes of about $1,000.
"It's very rare to win big prizes in Toto. But if I win, I'd like to donate part of the money to some charities and give the rest of my money to my children," said Mr Singh, who was able to join the queue as he works night shifts.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

250,000 masks collected on first day of free mask drive; residents pleased with choice of 2 sizes​

1 of 3
AK_sgcov2_100122.jpg

People collecting new reusable masks at Hougang Community Club on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
Gena Soh

Jan 10, 2022

SINGAPORE - About 250,000 reusable masks were collected from vending machines on Monday (Jan 10), the first day of a free reusable mask collection drive.
The free mask drive, which proceeded smoothly, is Temasek Foundation’s sixth in its efforts to better protect Singapore residents against Covid-19.
In the latest initiative, every resident can collect an antimicrobial mask with an N95 filtration middle layer by keying in their identity card numbers or scanning their identity cards at #StayMasked vending machines islandwide.
The masks, which are more breathable than standard N95 masks and are reusable for up to 30 washes, come in two sizes - L and M - at designated collection points such as community centres and clubs and residents' committee centres.
At Hougang Community Club (CC), one of the collection locations and also a paediatric vaccination centre, the queues moved quickly.
Most of the people The Straits Times spoke to went there not only to collect their masks, but also to get booster jabs or have their children vaccinated.
Residents also found the process quick and convenient, spending less than five minutes in queues and with the collection process itself taking less than a minute.

Some of them who went for their jabs did not know that the mask drive started on Monday and were pleasantly surprised to be able to collect one.

Bus driver Khor Kar Hoe, 27, said: "I actually came to Hougang CC to get a booster jab but saw the queue at the vending machine and realised I could collect a mask."
Mr Khor, who had collected a reusable mask from one of Temasek Foundation's previous mask drives, said that he was looking forward to trying on the larger size as he thought it would be more comfortable.

Another resident, software engineer Ashok Enugala, 37, was pleased that the mask came in a larger size this time because he found the one-size masks issued previously too small for him.
AK_sgcov4_100122.jpg

Mr Ashok Enugala and his daughter Ananya collecting their new reusable masks at Hougang Community Club on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
Mr Enugala, who took his 11-year-old daughter to the CC for her paediatric vaccination, said: "The old masks were so tight, it was difficult to breathe. The new large-sized mask is comfortable."
Sales manager Jeff Quek, 48, who collected a total of seven masks for his family, said the masks were well designed with comfortable padding for the nose bridge.
mi_jq_100122.jpg

Mr Jeff Quek and his son Eton collecting new reusable masks for his family at Hougang Community Club on Jan 10, 2022. Mr Quek has five children. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
"When I saw the design and the stylish grey colour, I immediately decided to collect my masks," he said. He did not collect the masks from Temasek Foundation previously because he did not like their designs.
Assistants were stationed near the vending machines at the CC to help residents scan their identity cards and determine the right sizes.
Mr Ong Ah Chai, a 57-year-old unemployed paraplegic, was thankful for the help he got and found the collection process convenient.
AK_sgcov5_100122.jpg

Mr Ong Ah Chai collecting his new reusable mask at Hougang Community Club on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
However, there were people who opted not to collect the masks.
Mr Ken Poon, 44, a facility manager, was at the CC to collect a TraceTogether token for his son but decided against picking up a mask for the boy. He said: "I don't think he will use it, it is important not to waste resources."
While the collection went well at Hougang CC, a small number of residents could not collect their masks due to vending machines malfunctioning.
Retiree Michael Koh, 69, and his neighbours were unable to collect their masks from an unmanned vending machine at a RC centre in Paya Lebar on Monday morning.

Mr Koh said: “Today is the first day of the drive and I thought thorough checks would have been conducted before the machines were rolled out. I did not expect the machine to fail us on the first day.”
When ST checked with Temasek Foundation, its spokesman said at around 3pm on Monday that it was aware of isolated incidents of masks being jammed in some vending machines.
photo6260493143132713029.jpg

Residents unable to collect new reusable masks from the mask vending machine at Blk 132 Lorong Ah Soo on Jan 10, 2022. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
“Temasek Foundation is continuing to monitor the vending machines islandwide both remotely and on the ground,” the spokesman said.
The mask distribution drive runs till Jan 23 and the public can refer to this website for machine locations and stock availability.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

New notes for Chinese New Year to be available at 42 pop-up ATMs islandwide from Jan 15​

kc-notes1401.jpg

The temporary ATMs, which were introduced in 2015 in partnership with the People's Association, will be available till the eve of Chinese New Year on Feb 4 at 20 community clubs islandwide. PHOTO: POSB
ngh.png

Ng Huiwen

JAN 14, 2019

SINGAPORE - Those looking to get new and "good-as-new" notes for the upcoming Chinese New Year can pop by any of the 42 temporary ATMs across the island from Tuesday (Jan 15), said DBS Group.
This figure is six more from the 36 pop-up POSB ATMs last year and will allow DBS/POSB customers to obtain new notes with more ease, it said in a statement on Monday.
The temporary ATMs, which were introduced in 2015 in partnership with the People's Association, will be available till the eve of Chinese New Year on Feb 4 at 20 community clubs islandwide, the statement said.
These ATMs will be available 24 hours daily, apart from the ones at Chong Pang and Teck Ghee, which will be available only from 9am to 9.30pm daily, it added.
In the statement, DBS managing director and head of consumer banking group in Singapore Jeremy Soo said: "Our aim is to ensure this season is as stress- and hassle-free as possible for our customers."
Besides making use of the pop-up ATMs, customers will also be able to skip the queue by getting their new and "good-as-new" notes through online reservation this year.
Mr Soo added that with these initiatives, customers will be able to get their new notes quickly and easily, "with more time to enjoy the festivities with their loved ones".

Last year, more than 160,000 customers benefited from the pop-up ATMs, with many of them obtaining their notes outside of banking hours or over the weekend, the statement said.
Customers will be able to use their DBS/POSB cards to withdraw new notes in sums of $100 ($2 x 50), $300 ($10 x 30), $500 ($50 x 10) and $600 ($10 x 20 and $50 x 8), saving the need for multiple transactions.
Customers who prefer to make an online reservation will be able to choose from denominations of $2, $10 and $50 when the system becomes available on Tuesday.
They will be able to collect their new notes on their preferred dates and timings at all full-service branches.
Customers can visit go.dbs.com/sg-cnynotes or www.posb.com.sg/cnynotes from Tuesday to reserve their new notes.
DBS said in its statement that special priority queues will continue to be available for the elderly and those with special needs at all full-service branches from Tuesday to Feb 4.
Customers will also be able to use the SMS "Q" notification service option to request for a queue number via SMS prior to visiting the branch and receive notifications on the availability of new notes.
DBS said that those who collect or withdraw new notes at all DBS/POSB branches or pop-up ATMs will receive two sets of DBS or POSB red packets, which are made from environmentally friendly paper.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Long line at SIA service centre, more calls to travel agents ahead of VTL ticket sales freeze​

yq-sia-22122021.jpg

Many had been trying to buy tickets or amend their existing tickets. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
David Sun and Kok Yufeng

DEC 22, 2021

SINGAPORE - Long queues formed at the Singapore Airlines (SIA) service centre in Orchard Road on Wednesday (Dec 22) shortly after the announcement that airlines will no longer be allowed to sell new tickets for vaccinated travel lane (VTL) flights into Singapore from Thursday to Jan 20.
Meanwhile, at least one travel agency had to field calls from worried customers and ask operations staff to return to the office to help issue flight tickets before the 11.59pm deadline.
Several of those who were in line at SIA's service centre in Ion Orchard on Wednesday afternoon told The Straits Times that they had been queueing for hours.
They said they decided to go to the centre after they had difficulties getting through to the national carrier's hotline.
Many had been trying to buy tickets or amend their existing tickets.
Mr Elvis Chua, 23, an undergraduate, spent about six hours waiting to make a few simple clarifications regarding his return flight next year from the US, where he will be taking up an internship.
Mr Chua said: "My legs are quite painful from all the waiting around, but thankfully the service staff are quite nice."

His friend, Mr Leo Chang Jing, 24, believed the long wait was likely because many people had turned up to try to get VTL tickets.
Both men were able to get their issues settled and left by 5.30pm.
A man who wanted to be known only as Mr Rahman had been at the SIA service centre for about four hours from 1pm when ST spoke to him.

He had spent three hours trying to get through to SIA using two different phones but to no avail.
"I'm not here to get new VTL tickets. I'm just trying to get my brother's name changed because of an existing error on his ticket," said Mr Rahman, who declined to give his age.
He said his brother, a Singaporean in Bangladesh, plans to return on an SIA flight on Dec 25.
"It was impossible to get through via the phones, so I decided to come down here instead, but it's just as long of a wait," he said. "I'm willing to pay, but the wait has been really long and it doesn't look like it'll be resolved soon."
Others told ST that some people in line had raised their voices in frustration over the long wait, but the staff at the centre were quick to calm them down, offering to take down their numbers and call them back as soon as possible.

Security personnel had also doubled as customer service staff, informing those in the queue of estimated wait times and asking if their queries were urgent.
The scene at the SIA service centre on Wednesday was reminiscent of that in October, when Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced on Oct 9 that travel curbs would be eased.
Many had rushed to the centre to get tickets after booking hotlines were backed up and the SIA website faced technical difficulties from the surge in traffic.
Responding to ST's queries, SIA declined to comment on booking numbers due to commercial sensitivity.
It added that the high volume of queries meant that it may take a few hours for its representatives to attend to customers.
"Customers who wish to get assistance at our Ion service centre will be given a queue number and will be informed via SMS when their turn is coming up," it added.
The airline urged customers who have booked directly with SIA to ask for assistance using its online assistance form, as this will help its agents to focus on travellers with bookings for flights that are imminent first.
Mr Ong Hanjie, managing director of tour agency EU Holidays, said he had to recall four members of his operations team to help issue flight tickets to customers before the freeze on new VTL ticket sales kicks in at 11.59pm on Wednesday.

There was a rush to confirm flight bookings and that tickets were issued, Mr Ong said, adding that customers had visited the travel agency's office in Suntec City after the news broke.
"We had an increase in calls from existing customers who had already booked tours with us that are departing during the Dec 23 to Jan 20 period. Most were worried that their vacations would not be fulfilled," he added.
There have not been any cancellations so far, he said.
Mr Ong said the freeze on new flight ticket sales means a loss in potential income as his firm cannot increase the size of group tours or create new tours even if there is demand to travel between Dec 23 and Jan 20.
A reduction in the number of VTL tickets allowed to be sold for flights after Jan 21 would also impact the agency's bottom line, he said.
Mr Jeremiah Wong, senior marketing communications manager at Chan Brothers, said his travel agency has not had any increase in calls from customers.
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
More Omicron cases picked up in Singapore; community spread a matter of time: MOH
Singapore needs to be on its guard against Omicron, say experts
But Wednesday's announcement would inevitably affect those looking to travel last-minute between end-2021 and January next year.
Mr Wong said sales of Chinese New Year and March holiday packages are not affected for now as the return flights for these packages fall outside the affected period of Dec 23 to Jan 20.
"Travel sentiments have no doubt been affected and the travel industry again has to bear the brunt of this new Covid-19 variant," he said.
"That said, we remain optimistic and have been bracing ourselves for the road to recovery despite it being riddled with potholes. We continue to monitor the evolving situation closely."

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

All Malaysia-Singapore VTL bus tickets in early Feb snapped up amid CNY rush​

af_vtlbus_100122.jpg

A spokesman said that the demand is high but the company is not allowed to release more tickets as stipulated by the government. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
ang_qing_0.png

Ang Qing

Jan 10, 2022

SINGAPORE - All 6,480 tickets sold by bus operator Causeway Link under the Malaysia-Singapore land vaccinated travel lane (VTL) were snapped up within hours on Monday (Jan 10) as people made plans to cross the border for the coming Chinese New Year.
The tickets for trips on the first six days of February - including the first day of Chinese New Year on Feb 1 - were up for grabs at 10am on Monday (Jan 10).
Tickets by Transtar Travel, which went on sale last week, have also been snapped up.
Causeway Link and Transtar Travel are the only two bus operators plying the route under the Malaysia-Singapore land VTL.
Singapore on Dec 22 last year suspended the sale of new VTL tickets for travel into the Republic or Malaysia until Jan 20, in view of rising cases of infection globally due to the Omicron variant of Covid-19.
The authorities also temporarily halved quotas for the number of travellers allowed to cross the Causeway under the land VTL from Jan 21. They have yet to lift the measure.
A Causeway Link spokesman said more than half of the tickets for sale on Monday were sold within an hour.

She added that the demand is high but the company is not allowed to release more tickets, as stipulated by the Government. A total of 1,080 tickets were available each day from Feb 1 to Feb 6.
Customers on Facebook reported long waiting times, with some saying they encountered technical glitches such as having their bookings switched to the wrong route.
Among those in line was Singapore Management University student Tan Ke Wei, 29, who hoped to snag a ticket from Johor Baru to Singapore on Feb 6 - when the Chinese New Year break ends.

The Malaysian, whose family lives in Kuala Lumpur, started queueing two hours before tickets went on sale.
He said: "It would be good for Causeway Link to be more transparent by issuing queue numbers, which they did initially (for bookings in December).
"Bus operators could allow a full refund on cancellation of tickets because there are some people who panic buy, which leads to these tickets being wasted when no one can use them. But they should also be careful not to allow buyers to sell their tickets, as that would encourage reselling."
Mr Tan added that he would have to miss his ticket scheduled for Jan 26 if he did not secure a return trip to make it back when school reopens.
Meanwhile, Singapore bus company Transtar Travel, which is still selling daily VTL tickets across the Causeway one day at a time, sold tickets for Feb 8 in about 80 minutes.

After trying for five days on the Transtar Travel website, Mrs Karmini, who goes by one name, managed to secure a ticket for her husband around 10 minutes after bookings opened.
It has been almost a year since the 34-year-old Malaysian has seen her husband, who works as a bus driver in Singapore, after they got married in Malaysia in March last year and spent a week together in March.
She said: "Booking tickets is like the Hunger Games. Now, I just have to buy a ticket for his journey back to Singapore."
"We are hoping that we can see each other every one or three months from now on."
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
Bus operators urge travellers not to buy S'pore-JB VTL tickets through third parties
So near yet so far: A Singapore family travels to KL after two years
Separately, Causeway Link said in a Facebook post on Monday that passengers are now allowed to amend their personal details on its website after booking the tickets. This change can be done once and can apply only to either the passenger's name or passport details.
The Straits Times has contacted Transtar Travel for comment.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Football: Long queues at Jalan Besar Stadium for Singapore Premier League finale​

1 of 2
nf-spl-101021.jpg

Crowd waiting to enter Jalan Besar Stadium to watch the Singapore Premier League season finale on Oct 10, 2021. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI

1641819702274.png

Crowd waiting to enter Jalan Besar Stadium to watch the Singapore Premier League season finale on Oct 10, 2021. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI

dl2.png

David Lee

OCT 10, 2021

SINGAPORE - More than one thousand football fans braved the afternoon shower at Jalan Besar Stadium on Sunday (Oct 10) to queue for tickets to the highly anticipated season finale as Singapore Premier League (SPL) leaders Lion City Sailors take on Balestier Khalsa.
Despite the kickoff scheduled for 5.30pm, some fans began queuing at the stadium from noon before a snaking queue formed as they waited for the ticketing booth to open at 3pm. Police cars were also seen in the area as a sizeable crowd formed.
Some fans had to be turned away disappointed though as only 1,000 spectators are allowed under the current Covid-19 safe management measures.
nf-spl-101021-2.jpg

Police cars were also seen in the area as a sizeable crowd formed. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
This SPL season has been one of the closest and most thrilling in recent seasons.
The Sailors and defending champions Albirex Niigata, who play Tanjong Pagar United at Jurong East, go into the final day level on 45 points after 20 games and separated by only goal difference.
All final day matches start at 5.30pm and are live on Facebook and Youtube.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Long queues at some Covid-19 quick test centres after enhanced self-testing regimen kicks in​

yq-c6-14092021.jpg

Long lines at quick test centres in Bishan (left) and Pasir Ris (right). PHOTOS: WENDY LIAM/FACEBOOK, COURTESY OF DANNY ONG
kokyufengg.png

Kok Yufeng

SEP 14, 2021

SINGAPORE - A fast and easy process to get tested for Covid-19 became an almost two hour wait for some as long lines formed at some quick test centres (QTCs) here over the past two days.
This was after an enhanced fast and easy rostered routine testing (RRT) regimen took effect on Monday (Sept 13).
To curb the recent surge in coronavirus infections, the mandatory self-testing regimen was extended to workers in more sectors, and the frequency of testing was increased from every 14 days to once a week.
Previously, only workers in higher-risk settings such as food and beverage outlets, personal care services and gym and fitness studios had to undergo regular self-tests.
Now, retail mall workers, supermarket staff, last-mile delivery workers - including parcel and food delivery workers - and public and private transport workers have to undergo the regular self-tests as well.
About 100 people were waiting in line at the QTC located in the basement carpark of Bishan Sports Hall on Tuesday morning, according to Ms Sally Lai, 60, who works in a salon.
She had an 11.30am appointment to undergo mandatory self-testing at the QTC but ended up having to return at about 3pm as she was told the crowd would be much thinner then.

This was in stark contrast to the week before, when Ms Lai first started doing her self-tests at the same QTC in Bishan.
It was empty when she was there last week at about 1pm, Ms Lai told The Straits Times.
It was a similar situation at the QTC in Pasir Ris Sports Hall.

Para swimming coach Danny Ong, 45, said he was there for his appointment at 12.30pm on Monday, and had to wait in line for more than an hour.
There were about 30 to 40 people in the queue, and this was still the case when he left at about 2pm after doing his test.
"It was quite frustrating. Monday was really horrible," said Mr Ong, who has been doing his self-testing at the Pasir Ris QTC since late June.

Before this week, the longest it took him was about 20 minutes.
"What surprised me was there were quite a lot of elderly people. Those aunties and uncles needed somewhere to sit but there were only two plastic chairs available at the waiting area," Mr Ong added.
"It was quite disappointing because I thought we are supposed to do a quick test and get out of the area as soon as possible. But we ended up having to stay there for 1½ hours.
"The duration of exposure is long. We were all wearing masks but you never know."
ctpasirris091421.jpg

Before this week, the longest it took for Mr Ong to queue for his test was about 20 minutes. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
Mr Ong said the logistics should have been addressed, adding: "What is the point of giving an allocated time when I have to wait for 1½ hours?"
Sports coaches who spoke to ST lamented the fact that they could book appointments at only three out of the 20 QTCs islandwide.
According to a July notice from Sport Singapore (SportSG), all self-employed people and small businesses in the sports and fitness sector who are unable to organise supervised self-swabs on their own, must make appointments at Bishan, Jurong West and Pasir Ris sport centres for the self-tests.
A sports coach, who declined to be named, told ST that he had to travel from his home in Sengkang to the QTC in Bishan to do his self-test as it was the nearest one.
He arrived at 11am, 15 minutes before his scheduled appointment, and like Ms Lai, decided to return later in the day as he was told there would be fewer people.
ctbishantest091421.jpg

There were about 10 people queuing up for their swab test at Bishan Sports Hall at 3pm on Sept 14, 2021. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG
"We are coaches, we work in the afternoons. But I have no choice. Now, I have to rush back for my coaching session," the 55-year-old said.
He said he does not mind doing the self-test at home but that would mean having to pay for his own test kits.
At the QTCs, the kits are free of charge until Dec 31.
He also wondered whether it was necessary for sports coaches to be tested so frequently when those who play sports are not.
"Previously, when it was once every 14 days, it was a hassle but it was still okay... But now they are asking us to do it every seven days and the queue is crazy."
Mr Ong said he is planning to give feedback to SportSG, and ask if there are alternatives, such as allowing coaches to book appointments at other QTCs.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
How hard is it to use a Covid-19 self-test kit?
For some like Mr Hanafi, 57, who runs a drinks stall, the increased testing frequency is not a big issue, largely because he has been able to avoid the long queues.
The hawker, who declined to give his full name, arrived at the QTC in Bishan at 3.15pm and was out by 3.30pm.
He said he used to do his self-testing at the Ministry of Education Heritage Centre in Commonwealth, but there were long queues there.
The first time he did his self-test there in July, he waited two hours, he said.
"Here (at Bishan), I always come at this time (3pm) because there is nobody. So far, so good."
ST has contacted the Health Promotion Board - the national agency supporting Covid-19 testing - for comment.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
More than one thousand football fans braved the afternoon shower at Jalan Besar Stadium on Sunday (Oct 10) to queue for tickets to the highly anticipated season finale as Singapore Premier League (SPL) leaders Lion City Sailors take on Balestier Khalsa.

Wow, I never knew there's a shitty Sinkie football team named 'Sailors'. :roflmao:

More than one thousand people with poor taste. :cool:

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow, I never knew there's a shitty Sinkie football team named 'Sailors'. :roflmao:

More than one thousand people with poor taste. :cool:
Could be worst. Could be called Lion City Kelongers.

How about Suzuka Point Getters?
At least they aim to get points, not drop points!
Imagine: Suzuka Point Givers

Football: Japan's golden oldie 'King Kazu' joins new team at 54​

yq-kazuyoshi-11012022.jpg

Kazuyoshi Miura said he would "strive to help the team win on the pitch" after joining Suzuka Point Getters. PHOTO: AFP

Jan 11, 2022

TOKYO (AFP) - Japanese football star Kazuyoshi Miura extended his decades-long playing career at the age of 54 on Tuesday (Jan 11) with a move to a fourth-tier club managed by his older brother.
Miura, known as "King Kazu", said he would "strive to help the team win on the pitch" after joining Suzuka Point Getters.
The move was announced at 11.11am on Jan 11 - with the former international forward set to wear the No. 11 shirt next season.
Miura, who turns 55 in February, said last month that he had offers from several clubs in Japan and overseas, after turning out for Yokohama FC last season in the J-League's top flight.
He managed just one minute of league action as his team finished bottom of the table.
He is hoping to make more of an impact for his new side, who are managed by brother Yasutoshi.
Miura has been at more than a dozen clubs spanning Brazil, Japan, Italy, Croatia and Australia.

"I'm thankful that I've been given the chance to play here," he said in a statement released by his new club.
Miura said last month that he had been offered a new deal by Yokohama but wanted more playing time.
Miura has said he wants to keep playing until he turns 60.
One of Asia's best-known footballers in the 1990s, he helped put the game in Japan on the map when the professional J-League was launched in 1993.
Miura left Japan for Brazil in 1982 and signed a contract with Santos FC in 1986 to make his professional debut.
He made his Japan debut in 1990 and was famously left out of his country's squad for their first World Cup appearance in 1998, despite scoring 55 goals in 89 games for the national side.
Suzuka made headlines in 2019 when they became the first Japanese club to appoint a female manager in Spain's Mila Martinez.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Or queueing to send child to school, or pick up child from school

Errant drivers, long queues and inconsiderate behaviour a common sight outside schools in the morning, say parents​

Errant drivers, long queues and inconsiderate behaviour a common sight outside schools in the morning, say parents

The congestion along Bedok North Ave 3 outside Bedok Green Secondary School and Red Swastika School on Jan 12, 2022 in the morning. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)

Ang Hwee Min

@HweeMinCNA
12 Jan 2022

SINGAPORE: For many parents who drive their children to school, traffic snarls and frayed tempers are everyday occurrences.
Inconsiderate behaviour like blocking the way, cutting queues and parents taking their time at drop-off points are just some of the instances that contribute to the all-around stress, parents told CNA.
“It’s not the part going from your home to the school. It’s always the last 500m outside any school in Singapore. You end up probably spending more time there than you do on half your journey. It’s always that portion which can get a bit hairy,” said Mrs Karen Goh.
“There’s always a golden window. So if you arrive during the golden window, you probably don’t get stuck in the jam very much, it’s very minimal. If you arrive past 7am, traffic just builds up exponentially so then you get stuck for 10 minutes."
And if you miss the window or leave home just a few minutes late?
"You just have to pray," Mrs Goh said with a chuckle.
The mother-of-two and her husband have worked out that making separate trips to Methodist Girls’ School and Anglo-Chinese School (Primary), which their daughter and son attend, is the best way to handle the daily school run.
“If we have to take them together, which we have before, one arrives very early and the other one is on the verge of being late. So we figured maybe it’s less stressful for everybody in the morning if we take them separately,” said Mrs Goh.
On Tuesday (Jan 11), a 61-year-old man was arrested for a rash act causing hurt after an incident outside Red Swastika School.
In the video widely circulated online, a white car was stopped from entering the primary school. The car then inched forward several times, pushing against the security officer standing in front of it.
According to the Union of Security Employees (USE), the car had a valid label to enter the school, but had cut the queue of cars waiting to enter, and moved his vehicle dangerously even when the security officer was standing in front of it.
The 62-year-old security officer Mr Neo Ah Whatt sustained “minor injuries” and police investigations are ongoing.
Mr Neo is “quite well-liked” by students and parents, executive secretary of USE Steven Tan told CNA on Wednesday.
“We asked him whether there are people who abuse him or scold him, is this the first time and so on. Broadly speaking, his recollection was that he’s very happy working at the school. You have the odd occasion of people challenging the rules, but this is his first time encountering something as egregious as this,” he added.

THE SITUATION AT RED SWASTIKA SCHOOL​

The parents of Primary 1 and 2 students at Red Swastika School have car labels indicating that they are allowed to enter the school to drop off their children, said Mr Aylwin Tay, whose two children attend the school.
All the other parents are expected to use the HDB car park next to the school, where children enter by the school's back gate, he told CNA. There are typically two security officers at the school gate and one more at the exit to help pedestrians and children cross the road safely and signal to cars to move off.
Mr Tay described the 61-year-old driver’s actions in jumping the line as an “everyday occurrence”.
“There are people who will take the chance, use the yellow box to come in from the second lane,” he said.
“And the worst thing is when they try to come in from the second lane, people like me who won’t let them come in because they didn’t queue, (these cars) will (create a) jam. They will just wait there for their chance to turn, and they will block the entire lane,” said Mr Tay, adding that he saw someone do the same thing just two days ago.
“Just before the area where the Bentley turned in yesterday, one of these cars actually did that. He blocked the entire lane because he was trying to filter into our lane to get into the school.”
When CNA visited Red Swastika School on Wednesday morning, the line of cars along Bedok North Road started to build at 7am. The main gates to Bedok Green Secondary School, Red Swastika School, and the entrance and exit of the HDB car park where parents drop off their children are all located along that road.
Red Swastika School only allows parents to start entering the school gates at around 7.10am and by then, CNA observed that the innermost lane was already packed with cars waiting to turn into the HDB car park or the schools along Bedok North Road.
CNA also spotted several cars cutting into the first lane from other lanes, similar to what the 61-year-old driver did on Tuesday morning.
After exiting from the HDB car park, several drivers used the yellow box at the exit to cut across several lanes to the U-turn on the outermost lane of Bedok North Road.
In some instances, they even stopped in the boxes although there were no cars in front of them, sometimes occupying two lanes and holding up traffic.
Stopping in a yellow box is considered a traffic offence outside Silver Zones and School Zones. Owners of light vehicles and heavy vehicles can face fines of S$100 and S$150 respectively.
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said in response to CNA queries in 2020 that markings like yellow boxes are used to deter vehicles from stopping and obstructing traffic along a section of the road “where appropriate”.
LTA has also introduced different traffic management and road safety measures, like traffic signs, road humps and road markings to remind motorists to slow down near schools.
To manage traffic flow, some schools deploy their own traffic marshals and adopt staggered reporting or dismissal times where possible, said LTA at the time.
“Where necessary, LTA deploys parking wardens to guide traffic during the affected hours, to complement these measures,” said the authorities in the statement.
Previous
img_2256.jpg

The congestion along Bedok North Ave 3 outside Red Swastika School on Jan 12, 2022 in the morning. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2261.jpg

Parents with a decal on their cars are allowed to drop off their children at designated times at Red Swastika School. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2259.jpg

Cars leaving Bedok Green Secondary School attempt to merge traffic along Bedok North Avenue 3. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2292.jpg

A traffic police officer was seen along the congestion at Bedok North Ave 3 on Jan 12, 2022 in the morning. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2256.jpg

The congestion along Bedok North Ave 3 outside Red Swastika School on Jan 12, 2022 in the morning. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2261.jpg

Parents with a decal on their cars are allowed to drop off their children at designated times at Red Swastika School. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2259.jpg

Cars leaving Bedok Green Secondary School attempt to merge traffic along Bedok North Avenue 3. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2292.jpg

A traffic police officer was seen along the congestion at Bedok North Ave 3 on Jan 12, 2022 in the morning. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2256.jpg

Next

LEAVE EARLIER OR BE LATE FOR SCHOOL​

Ms Seah Li May, who has been sending her three children to Red Swastika School in the mornings for seven years, said the traffic situation worsened over the years.
Despite living nearby, the family has had to leave the house about 10 minutes earlier than in previous years.
“Last year, as long as we reach the Bedok Reservoir stretch before 7.10am, we will be able to get into the school by 7.20am. But for this year onwards, I have to be at the Bedok Reservoir stretch by 7am, because the queue is already very long,” she told CNA.
“Ever since the school changed to (a) single session, the traffic has worsened.”
Even though she has a son who is in Primary 2, which means she is allowed to drive into the school, she chooses to drop her children off at the HDB car park where the traffic is slightly better.
“We have the car decal, but the queue is really horrible,” she added.
“(In the) worst case, sometimes we’re in the jam for about 20 to 25 minutes, and then my kids will arrive at school at 7.26am or 7.27am.”
Then there are those who are especially affectionate.
“Sometimes parents will drop off their kids, open the door, take their school bag for them, give them a big hug, stuff like that. Then it will just jam up everybody.”
Such delays stress her children out as well.
“They will always look at the time, ‘Mummy, so late already.’ Sometimes, before the entrance, they say they want to get off because they need to run to school, they don’t want to be late,” she added.
“I told them ‘Just be late, just let the teacher know you were late’ because I don’t think it’s worth taking the risk.”
Other parents choose to leave home even earlier. To get his three children to school on time, Mr Camilius Yang sets off at 6.25am.
His three children, who attend St Patrick’s School, CHIJ Katong Convent and St Joseph’s Institute Junior, are in school by 7am.
Adding that he could identify with the frustration of the 61-year-old driver, Mr Yang said many parents sometimes find themselves stuck outside when a queue has already formed.
“But obviously if I’m blocked by someone I will make a U-turn ... or I will get my kids to drop off at the bus stop and then they walk in. It’s about how you handle it right? I cannot drop you at the doorstep every time because I need to wait in the queue for 15 minutes or so,” he added.
Previous
img_2267.jpg

Cars parked along 11 Blackmore Drive as parents wait for students to be released from Methodist Girls' School on Jan 12, 2022. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2274.jpg

Cars waiting to enter Methodist Girls' School after student dismissal on Jan 12, 2022. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2271.jpg

Traffic along 11 Blackmore Drive as parents wait for students to be released from Methodist Girls' School extended to Bukit Timah Road. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2272.jpg

Traffic along 11 Blackmore Drive as parents wait for students to be released from Methodist Girls' School extended to Bukit Timah Road. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2267.jpg

Cars parked along 11 Blackmore Drive as parents wait for students to be released from Methodist Girls' School on Jan 12, 2022. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2274.jpg

Cars waiting to enter Methodist Girls' School after student dismissal on Jan 12, 2022. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)
img_2271.jpg

img_2272.jpg

img_2267.jpg

N

PARENTS URGE OTHERS TO BE MORE PATIENT AND CAREFUL​

Schools see similar traffic jams at dismissal time. When CNA visited Methodist Girls’ School on Wednesday afternoon, there were many cars parked illegally opposite the school, waiting for students to be released.
At about 12.40pm, snaking lines filled most of Blackmore Drive and spilt onto Bukit Timah Road.
“I think that if you are a regular driver, you kind of know which lane to take, and when you have to keep to your lane. Having said that, I think that in general you just need to employ a bit of graciousness to your fellow co-drivers. Everybody’s trying to get their kids to school,” said Mrs Goh, the mother-of-two.
“I think that if there’s a bit of give-and-take .... the morning ride is a bit more bearable.”
Once, her car broke down at the school gate at 7am - a line of cars waiting behind her. The school sent staff members and security officers to manage and control the traffic.
“You could really see a whole range of human responses, from the understanding ones to the very unpleasant ones. I felt so bad for them (the staff) because it was my fault that the car broke down but they were getting scolded for the traffic,” she said, urging parents to be more understanding.
Parents who drive should also be more patient, not least because there are children using the roads, said Ms Seah, the parent of three Red Swastika students.
“I know everybody’s stressed out and rushing in the morning, sometimes they might just miss the children. So actually (I hope) they pay more attention to the road,” she said.
She also hopes that the authorities will look into improving the traffic conditions along Bedok North Road, adding that parents have written to the authorities “countless times”.
Most schools generally have “very strict” procedures for parents to comply with, said USE’s Mr Tan.
“With every P1 cohort, there will be new parents coming to the school. And apparently, from all the facts that have surfaced so far, it seems like this vehicle was new to this morning drop-off phenomenon,” he added, referencing the incident on Tuesday morning.
But rules are there to be followed, he said, pointing to how the driver was not allowed to enter the school after cutting the queue. "Imagine if you allow one to not follow the queue ... other parents (may) do the same.”
Feedback from security officers in the union show that instances of rule-flouting are more common in the first two weeks of a new school term, said Mr Tan.
In his experience, “very rarely” are there “very egregious” altercations between parents and security officers at schools. Such cases are referred to the police immediately, he said.
In closing, however, he gave short shrift to drivers who break obvious traffic rules.
"As long as you’re a motorist, you’re expected to know (the rules),” he said.
“To tell you not to drive against the flow of traffic, I think there’s no necessity for anyone to have to remind anyone not to do so.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Queueing is a national duty. Do not, do not, cut queue.

Bentley driver arrested after threatening to run down security officer at Red Swastika School​

hzbentley110122c.jpg

A Bentley is shown pushing against the security officer who stood in front of the vehicle to prevent it from entering the primary school. PHOTOS: SCREENGRAB FROM SGRV/FACEBOOK
ang_qing_0.png

Ang Qing

JAN 11, 2022

SINGAPORE - A 61-year-old man has been arrested for a rash act causing hurt, after he was filmed threatening to run down a security officer with his Bentley outside Red Swastika School on Tuesday morning (Jan 11).
A video circulating on social media showed the driver inching his white car forward a few times, pushing the security officer back despite being stopped from entering the primary school in Bedok.
In a statement on Tuesday evening, the police said they had been alerted at about 11.40am to the incident that occurred in Bedok North Avenue 3.
The 62-year-old security officer sustained minor injuries, the police said, adding that investigations are ongoing.
Separately, the Ministry of Education is looking into the incident, said Education Minister Chan Chun Sing.
In a Facebook post, Mr Chan said he was aware of the video showing “a driver trying to enter a school and even using his car to engage in dangerous manoeuvres against a security officer and a school staff”.
Calling this “unacceptable behaviour”, the minister said: “As adults, we should set a positive example for our children in how we treat others with respect, and abide by the rules that are in place for the collective security of our school community.”

In the video, a Bentley is shown pushing against the security officer, who stood in front of the vehicle to prevent it from entering the school.

A school staff member is seen talking to a passenger standing next to the car. After the passenger returns to the vehicle, the staff member uses his hands to help the security officer stop it from creeping forward.
In a Facebook post on Tuesday afternoon, the Union of Security Employees (USE) said the security officer, Mr Neo Ah Whatt, is well and recovering at home.

USE general secretary Raymond Chin, 39, told The Straits Times that Mr Neo has been deployed to the school for nearly three years. He is hired under security firm Reachfield Security and Safety Management.
Mr Chin said: "He said that his right knee was painful and was issued a three-day medical certificate after a medical check-up."
He added that the incident occurred at the school gate at around 7.30am, which is the usual rush hour for parents to drop pupils off at the school.
Mr Chin noted that the car had a valid label to enter the school, but had cut the queue of cars waiting to enter.
hzbentley110122b.jpg

A video circulating on social media showed the driver inching his Bentley forward a few times, pushing the security officer back despite being stopped from entering the primary school in Bedok. PHOTO: ST READER
USE executive secretary Steve Tan, 48, called the incident "deplorable".
"(The security officer) had even gone to the extent of standing in front of the vehicle to prevent its entry, as the driver refused to obey instructions," said Mr Tan.
"The union is very disturbed by this case of physical abuse. It is particularly egregious, given that a car was involved."
The union, which has filed a police report on the incident, visited Mr Neo at his home on Tuesday afternoon. Mr Tan and other union representatives gave him a care pack that included boxes of chicken essence and bird’s nest.

Roughly two in five of 1,000 officers surveyed by USE between July and September last year said they experienced verbal or physical abuse while on duty.
Most of the abuse was targeted at older officers and came mostly from members of the public, which formed around 40 per cent of the abuse cases reported by officers.
Mr Raj Joshua Thomas, president of the Security Association Singapore, slammed the abusive behaviour and urged the public to report such incidents.
He said: “Security officers’ duties include ensuring that only authorised persons and vehicles enter the premises they are protecting, and in an orderly manner... It is completely unacceptable for members of the public to try to get their way by bullying, intimidating, causing physical harm to or in any other way harassing officers while they are performing their duties.”
Mr Thomas said the Private Security Industry Act was amended last year to better protect officers, introducing heavier penalties for those who abuse security officers on duty. He added: “It is surprising that this extreme incident of abuse has occurred so quickly on the back of the amendments.”

Madam May Tan, who has a daughter in Primary 5 at the school, described Mr Neo as a jovial and friendly man.
“Every day, he greets us by saying 'good morning' and 'thank you',” said the saleswoman, who is in her 40s, adding that the security officer is well respected.
Some politicians also took to Facebook to condemn the driver’s actions and commend Mr Neo.
National Trades Union Congress secretary-general Ng Chee Meng said “this act of aggression against our officers who are merely carrying out their duties cannot be condoned”.
Minister of State for Home Affairs Desmond Tan said Mr Neo showed dedication to his duty, by standing in front of the moving vehicle to ensure the safety and security of the school premises.
“Security officers play an important role in ensuring that the premises under their care are safe and secure,” he added. “This is why it is imperative to ensure that they feel protected and have a safe environment when performing their duties.
"Abusive behaviour towards security officers should not be tolerated."

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Or queueing to send child to school, or pick up child from school

Errant drivers, long queues and inconsiderate behaviour a common sight outside schools in the morning, say parents​

Errant drivers, long queues and inconsiderate behaviour a common sight outside schools in the morning, say parents

The congestion along Bedok North Ave 3 outside Bedok Green Secondary School and Red Swastika School on Jan 12, 2022 in the morning. (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan/CNA)

Ang Hwee Min

@HweeMinCNA
12 Jan 2022

SINGAPORE: For many parents who drive their children to school, traffic snarls and frayed tempers are everyday occurrences.
Inconsiderate behaviour like blocking the way, cutting queues and parents taking their time at drop-off points are just some of the instances that contribute to the all-around stress, parents told CNA.
“It’s not the part going from your home to the school. It’s always the last 500m outside any school in Singapore. You end up probably spending more time there than you do on half your journey. It’s always that portion which can get a bit hairy,” said Mrs Karen Goh.
“There’s always a golden window. So if you arrive during the golden window, you probably don’t get stuck in the jam very much, it’s very minimal. If you arrive past 7am, traffic just builds up exponentially so then you get stuck for 10 minutes."
And if you miss the window or leave home just a few minutes late?
"You just have to pray," Mrs Goh said with a chuckle.
The mother-of-two and her husband have worked out that making separate trips to Methodist Girls’ School and Anglo-Chinese School (Primary), which their daughter and son attend, is the best way to handle the daily school run.
“If we have to take them together, which we have before, one arrives very early and the other one is on the verge of being late. So we figured maybe it’s less stressful for everybody in the morning if we take them separately,” said Mrs Goh.
On Tuesday (Jan 11), a 61-year-old man was arrested for a rash act causing hurt after an incident outside Red Swastika School.
In the video widely circulated online, a white car was stopped from entering the primary school. The car then inched forward several times, pushing against the security officer standing in front of it.
According to the Union of Security Employees (USE), the car had a valid label to enter the school, but had cut the queue of cars waiting to enter, and moved his vehicle dangerously even when the security officer was standing in front of it.
The 62-year-old security officer Mr Neo Ah Whatt sustained “minor injuries” and police investigations are ongoing.
Mr Neo is “quite well-liked” by students and parents, executive secretary of USE Steven Tan told CNA on Wednesday.
“We asked him whether there are people who abuse him or scold him, is this the first time and so on. Broadly speaking, his recollection was that he’s very happy working at the school. You have the odd occasion of people challenging the rules, but this is his first time encountering something as egregious as this,” he added.

THE SITUATION AT RED SWASTIKA SCHOOL​

The parents of Primary 1 and 2 students at Red Swastika School have car labels indicating that they are allowed to enter the school to drop off their children, said Mr Aylwin Tay, whose two children attend the school.
All the other parents are expected to use the HDB car park next to the school, where children enter by the school's back gate, he told CNA. There are typically two security officers at the school gate and one more at the exit to help pedestrians and children cross the road safely and signal to cars to move off.
Mr Tay described the 61-year-old driver’s actions in jumping the line as an “everyday occurrence”.
“There are people who will take the chance, use the yellow box to come in from the second lane,” he said.
“And the worst thing is when they try to come in from the second lane, people like me who won’t let them come in because they didn’t queue, (these cars) will (create a) jam. They will just wait there for their chance to turn, and they will block the entire lane,” said Mr Tay, adding that he saw someone do the same thing just two days ago.
“Just before the area where the Bentley turned in yesterday, one of these cars actually did that. He blocked the entire lane because he was trying to filter into our lane to get into the school.”
When CNA visited Red Swastika School on Wednesday morning, the line of cars along Bedok North Road started to build at 7am. The main gates to Bedok Green Secondary School, Red Swastika School, and the entrance and exit of the HDB car park where parents drop off their children are all located along that road.
Red Swastika School only allows parents to start entering the school gates at around 7.10am and by then, CNA observed that the innermost lane was already packed with cars waiting to turn into the HDB car park or the schools along Bedok North Road.
CNA also spotted several cars cutting into the first lane from other lanes, similar to what the 61-year-old driver did on Tuesday morning.
After exiting from the HDB car park, several drivers used the yellow box at the exit to cut across several lanes to the U-turn on the outermost lane of Bedok North Road.
In some instances, they even stopped in the boxes although there were no cars in front of them, sometimes occupying two lanes and holding up traffic.
Stopping in a yellow box is considered a traffic offence outside Silver Zones and School Zones. Owners of light vehicles and heavy vehicles can face fines of S$100 and S$150 respectively.
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said in response to CNA queries in 2020 that markings like yellow boxes are used to deter vehicles from stopping and obstructing traffic along a section of the road “where appropriate”.
LTA has also introduced different traffic management and road safety measures, like traffic signs, road humps and road markings to remind motorists to slow down near schools.
To manage traffic flow, some schools deploy their own traffic marshals and adopt staggered reporting or dismissal times where possible, said LTA at the time.
“Where necessary, LTA deploys parking wardens to guide traffic during the affected hours, to complement these measures,” said the authorities in the statement.
Previous
img_2256.jpg

img_2261.jpg

img_2259.jpg

img_2292.jpg

img_2256.jpg

img_2261.jpg

img_2259.jpg

img_2292.jpg

img_2256.jpg

Next

LEAVE EARLIER OR BE LATE FOR SCHOOL​

Ms Seah Li May, who has been sending her three children to Red Swastika School in the mornings for seven years, said the traffic situation worsened over the years.
Despite living nearby, the family has had to leave the house about 10 minutes earlier than in previous years.
“Last year, as long as we reach the Bedok Reservoir stretch before 7.10am, we will be able to get into the school by 7.20am. But for this year onwards, I have to be at the Bedok Reservoir stretch by 7am, because the queue is already very long,” she told CNA.
“Ever since the school changed to (a) single session, the traffic has worsened.”
Even though she has a son who is in Primary 2, which means she is allowed to drive into the school, she chooses to drop her children off at the HDB car park where the traffic is slightly better.
“We have the car decal, but the queue is really horrible,” she added.
“(In the) worst case, sometimes we’re in the jam for about 20 to 25 minutes, and then my kids will arrive at school at 7.26am or 7.27am.”
Then there are those who are especially affectionate.
“Sometimes parents will drop off their kids, open the door, take their school bag for them, give them a big hug, stuff like that. Then it will just jam up everybody.”
Such delays stress her children out as well.
“They will always look at the time, ‘Mummy, so late already.’ Sometimes, before the entrance, they say they want to get off because they need to run to school, they don’t want to be late,” she added.
“I told them ‘Just be late, just let the teacher know you were late’ because I don’t think it’s worth taking the risk.”
Other parents choose to leave home even earlier. To get his three children to school on time, Mr Camilius Yang sets off at 6.25am.
His three children, who attend St Patrick’s School, CHIJ Katong Convent and St Joseph’s Institute Junior, are in school by 7am.
Adding that he could identify with the frustration of the 61-year-old driver, Mr Yang said many parents sometimes find themselves stuck outside when a queue has already formed.
“But obviously if I’m blocked by someone I will make a U-turn ... or I will get my kids to drop off at the bus stop and then they walk in. It’s about how you handle it right? I cannot drop you at the doorstep every time because I need to wait in the queue for 15 minutes or so,” he added.
Previous
img_2267.jpg

img_2274.jpg

img_2271.jpg

img_2272.jpg

img_2267.jpg

img_2274.jpg

img_2271.jpg

img_2272.jpg

img_2267.jpg

N

PARENTS URGE OTHERS TO BE MORE PATIENT AND CAREFUL​

Schools see similar traffic jams at dismissal time. When CNA visited Methodist Girls’ School on Wednesday afternoon, there were many cars parked illegally opposite the school, waiting for students to be released.
At about 12.40pm, snaking lines filled most of Blackmore Drive and spilt onto Bukit Timah Road.
“I think that if you are a regular driver, you kind of know which lane to take, and when you have to keep to your lane. Having said that, I think that in general you just need to employ a bit of graciousness to your fellow co-drivers. Everybody’s trying to get their kids to school,” said Mrs Goh, the mother-of-two.
“I think that if there’s a bit of give-and-take .... the morning ride is a bit more bearable.”
Once, her car broke down at the school gate at 7am - a line of cars waiting behind her. The school sent staff members and security officers to manage and control the traffic.
“You could really see a whole range of human responses, from the understanding ones to the very unpleasant ones. I felt so bad for them (the staff) because it was my fault that the car broke down but they were getting scolded for the traffic,” she said, urging parents to be more understanding.
Parents who drive should also be more patient, not least because there are children using the roads, said Ms Seah, the parent of three Red Swastika students.
“I know everybody’s stressed out and rushing in the morning, sometimes they might just miss the children. So actually (I hope) they pay more attention to the road,” she said.
She also hopes that the authorities will look into improving the traffic conditions along Bedok North Road, adding that parents have written to the authorities “countless times”.
Most schools generally have “very strict” procedures for parents to comply with, said USE’s Mr Tan.
“With every P1 cohort, there will be new parents coming to the school. And apparently, from all the facts that have surfaced so far, it seems like this vehicle was new to this morning drop-off phenomenon,” he added, referencing the incident on Tuesday morning.
But rules are there to be followed, he said, pointing to how the driver was not allowed to enter the school after cutting the queue. "Imagine if you allow one to not follow the queue ... other parents (may) do the same.”
Feedback from security officers in the union show that instances of rule-flouting are more common in the first two weeks of a new school term, said Mr Tan.
In his experience, “very rarely” are there “very egregious” altercations between parents and security officers at schools. Such cases are referred to the police immediately, he said.
In closing, however, he gave short shrift to drivers who break obvious traffic rules.
"As long as you’re a motorist, you’re expected to know (the rules),” he said.
“To tell you not to drive against the flow of traffic, I think there’s no necessity for anyone to have to remind anyone not to do so.”

Why can't the kids cycle to school that's what I did from sec 1 onwards.

Alternatively the authorities should lift the PMD ban for school children so that this cheap and convenient mode of transport can be utilised to solve the current traffic woes.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Omega x Swatch collection draws snaking queues at Ion Orchard, MBS​

hzwatch260322-ion-zb.jpg

People queueing at the Swatch outlet in Ion Orchard for the Omega x Swatch collection on March 26, 2022. PHOTOS: LIANHE ZAOBAO
yaminibyline4.png

Yamini Chinnuswamy

Mar 26, 2022

SINGAPORE - A new collaborative collection by watchmakers Omega and Swatch drew hundreds of people to Swatch outlets at Ion Orchard and Marina Bay Sands (MBS) early on Saturday (March 26).
People arrived at the Swatch store in Ion Orchard's Basement 2 as early as 5.30am on Saturday, intent on getting their hands on pieces from the new MoonSwatch collection.
The collection comprises 11 models at $372 each, inspired by the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch that sells for a minimum of $9,000. Named after planetary bodies, the watches have bioceramic cases, Velco straps and come in different colours.
Although Swatch did not state that the watches are limited edition, many were drawn by the opportunity to own an Omega-branded watch at high-street prices.
They include Mr Kim, a 35-year-old watch enthusiast and tech executive from the US who declined to provide his full name.
He said that when he arrived at 5.30am, there were fewer than 50 people outside the store. However, there was no clear queuing system in place.
"It was an absolute disaster - there were 16 different lines. No one knew where to queue," he told ST.

Two police officers arrived at the scene at the same time that he did.
"By about 7am, there were probably six police officers," he said, adding that he estimated there were some 1,000 people waiting outside the store by 8am.
Mr Gregory Ang, 29, a content executive who arrived at 8.15am, agreed with Mr Kim's estimate. As there was no clear queue to join, he waited outside the store with the rest of the crowd to await instructions from Swatch staff.

Both men reported that at least one person fainted in the crush and had to be attended to by first aiders.
People in the crowd at Ion Orchard said 127 queue numbers were distributed sometime around 9.40am, just before the store's official opening time of 10am. A barricade was set up to cordon off those with queue numbers from the rest of the crowd.

But the queue number distribution was chaotic, said Mr Kim, who did not manage to get a number despite his early arrival.
"Everyone started getting very violent and pushing to hop the line," he said.
"It was quite nuts," agreed Mr Ang. "There was a lot of pushing at the storefront, though it was milder at the back. The problem was that the staff didn't set up dividers, so when the police broke up the queue, some people cut in and made it worse."

Mr Noel Lim, 24, had arrived at 6am with his friends in hopes of buying a watch for himself and his girlfriend.
He was able to grab a queue number - but had to content himself with buying just the pink-hued Mission To Venus piece for his girlfriend, as Swatch announced this morning that the purchase limit would be reduced from two to one due to high demand.
mi_watches_240322.jpg

The new MoonSwatch collection comprises 11 models at $372 each, inspired by the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch that sells for a minimum of $9,000. PHOTO: OMEGA/SWATCH
When ST arrived at Ion Orchard just before 11am, there were about 100 people outside the Swatch store, including about 40 within the cordoned area.
People with queue numbers were allowed in two at a time - first to select their preferred model by the entrance, and then to make payment at the counter inside.
Others lingered outside the cordoned area, hoping to try their luck at buying a watch even though overhead announcements repeated that the queue numbers had all been distributed.

An employee also walked through the crowd, urging people to return at a later date as "more stock would be arriving".
While the police had left, four safe distancing ambassadors circled the perimeter, urging people to keep clear of the mall thoroughfare and to stay away from the main store area.
There were similar tales of chaos at MBS.

Mr Nigel Chan, 26, said when he and his father arrived at 7.30am, there was already a snaking queue of "500-plus people" at the first level of the mall.
"We were told it was the official line by other watch enthusiasts, but at around 10.30am, we realised that a mass of people had gathered outside the store already, though they weren't queuing," he told ST.
Mr Chan, an analyst, said that no one was allowed to enter the store at B2 even after its official opening time at 11am.
At this time, there were police on the scene and barricades had been set up.

By the time ST reached MBS at 12.30pm, the crowd had dispersed and the store was closed, with "Out of Stock" signs plastered over the entrance.
Curious onlookers lingered by the store, taking photographs of the display set in one of the windows.
Swatch Singapore did not respond to a request for comment, although its Facebook post just before 11.30am on Saturday assured customers that there will be more opportunities to purchase the MoonSwatch in the coming weeks.
Those who managed to get a queue number at MBS - the post indicates that 100 such numbers were distributed - were also given hourly time slots between 2pm and 6pm to return to the store.

Social media showed similar scenes happening at Swatch stores around the world on Saturday morning, including at major city hubs including Hong Kong, Melbourne and Tokyo.
By Saturday evening, at least four listings had sprung up on marketplace platform Carousell, hawking MoonSwatch watches at prices ranging from $750 to $2,000.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Long queue for Daiso items at Plaza Singapura ahead of May 1 price hike​

1 of 5
yu_daisoplazasing2804a.jpeg

Customers in queue to make payment at Daiso's Plaza Singapura outlet, on April 28, 2022. ST PHOTO: SYARAFANA SHAFEEQ
ssbyline.png

Syarafana Shafeeq

APR 28, 2022

SINGAPORE - A long queue of close to 80 people was seen at the Plaza Singapura outlet of Japanese retail chain Daiso on Thursday (April 28) ahead of a price hike from Sunday (May 1).
The chain has been offering products such as stationery, snacks and homeware at a flat price of $2 since 2003.
From Sunday, prices will follow a colour-coded tier ranging from $2.14 to $25.47.
Housewife Sheila Begum, 35, heard of the price hike online and decided do some shopping.
"I wanted to avoid the weekend crowd, but seems like a lot of other people had the same idea," the mother of two said.
She frequents the Japanese chain a few times a month as she loves collecting trinkets. She was in queue waiting to pay for some ceramic bowls, snacks and figurines.
She said: "I will continue to shop here of course, but I wanted to stretch my dollar while I still can."

The queue at the Plaza Singapura outlet was at its peak when The Straits Times visited during lunchtime. It extended past the cashier area and spilled over to shopping aisles around the store, making it hard for shoppers to move around.
Although the queue was long, shoppers waited for an average of around 15 minutes for payment as five counters were open.
Pre-school teacher Chua Xinyi, 26, said that she goes to Daiso to buy teaching materials such as mini whiteboards, chalk and coloured markers.
"I think it's understandable that they had to hike their prices because they are increasing almost everywhere. I'd rather they adjust their prices than close their shops," she said.
Although she knew the price hike for some products would be just 14 cents, she was not sure which other products would cost more than that from Sunday.
"I saw some videos online that certain items like storage boxes that usually cost $2 would now be $4.07. I didn't know what else would be different so I wanted to come down to have a look," she said.
yu_daisochart2804.jpg

From Sunday, prices will follow a colour-coded tier ranging from $2.14 to $25.47. PHOTO: DAISO
Ms Chua said that if the hiked price for her usual purchases are too high, she might consider buying the items from other shops to save money.
Retired shop assistant Janice Teo, 62, was one customer who stocked up on plastic storage boxes. She said she uses the boxes to store her beads, as she enjoys making beaded jewellery as a pastime.
She said her niece had showed her a TikTok video that said the boxes would cost twice the price they do now - $4.07.
Said Madam Teo: "I used to come here because it was cheap and convenient, but I think I can find some things, like these plastic containers, cheaper at neighbourhood shops."

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Long queue at airport as many taxi drivers prefer cash only​

MAR 11, 2022

I work at Changi Airport and have noticed that with more flights arriving now, it is taking longer for arriving passengers to get a taxi. The wait can be up to an hour even though the taxi bays are filled.
The issue is that many taxi drivers say they accept only cash for payment, and many passengers, especially foreigners, do not have Singapore dollars with them.
These passengers then have to wait longer for a cabby who will accept card payment.
Passengers who fly from places like Europe or the United States have spent up to 18 hours travelling with masks on. It makes things worse if they have to wait a long time for a taxi.
The authorities should find out why these taxi drivers prefer cash, and solve the issue.
Changi Airport is one of the best in the world. Let us not allow long waits for a taxi to tarnish Singapore's reputation.

U Kyaw Oo

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Queues at Woodlands Checkpoint on first public holiday since full reopening of borders​

1 of 4
rrcausewayqc1504.jpg

The queue went more than 100m past the bus stop near the checkpoint. ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG
nadinechua.png

Nadine Chua

APR 15, 2022

SINGAPORE - There were long queues at the Woodlands Checkpoint on the morning of the first public holiday since land borders between Singapore and Malaysia reopened fully on April 1.
More than 200 people were in the queue when The Straits Times arrived at the checkpoint at 8am on Friday (April 15).
Officers from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) and policemen were deployed to direct people to the back of the line as the walkway started to get congested.
They also reminded those in the queue to keep to one line and not to push.
The queue snaked more than 100m past the bus stop near the checkpoint, but those in the queue said it was constantly moving.
At around 9am, it started to rain but that did not deter people from lining up.
Many travellers pulled out umbrellas and donned raincoats as the rain started to get heavier. Others who were less prepared used their bags to cover their heads.

There appeared to be a slight traffic jam on the Malaysian side of the Causeway at around 10am, with many Singaporean vehicles spotted lining up in the rain.
The traffic thinned out at around noon after the rain stopped.
Despite the rain, many Singaporeans in the queue at Woodlands Checkpoint were excited about visiting Malaysia on Good Friday, the first day of the long weekend.

Ms Nisha Haneef, 54, said the day trip to Johor Bahu with her aunt and cousin was a long time coming.
Ms Haneef, who braved the rain as she stood in line to enter the checkpoint, said: "It has been more than two years since we've visited Malaysia. So rain or shine, we are still going to queue."
She had wanted to take a day trip to JB on the first weekend of reopening, but her aunt and cousin were busy. The trio plan to get massages and manicures at one of the malls near the checkpoint after they clear Customs.
The healthcare worker added: "If I weren't working tomorrow, I would make a weekend trip out of this. But we will be heading back home tonight after we break fast in Malaysia."

Singaporean Jane Tay, 29, said that while she had not expected such a long queue, she was surprised at how fast it was moving.
She and her husband are making their first trip to Malaysia since 2019.
Mrs Tay, a designer, added: "We plan to get a massage and stock up on groceries while we are there. It is really great that the borders have finally opened."
One Malaysian in the queue to get to JB was going back to see his 10-year-old son.
SPH Brightcove Video

Mr Pang Jyi Yeong is travelling to Malaysia for the third time since land borders reopened on April 1.
The 42-year-old, who has worked in the manufacturing industry in Singapore for 10 years, did not get to see his son for two years due to the pandemic.
He said: "I was considering returning home (to Malaysia) last night, but when I saw photos of the long queues on Facebook yesterday, I decided to wait and travel today instead."
He added that the queue on Friday morning was longer than those on previous weekends after borders reopened.
"But I am willing to wait. Anyway, the queue seems to be moving," he said.
rrcausewayvehicle1504.jpg

The traffic situation as at 10.30am along the Causeway on April 15, 2022. ST PHOTO: KELVIN CHNG
On Thursday, the ICA said more than 1.2 million travellers have crossed the land borders between Singapore and Malaysia since they reopened fully on April 1.
Of these, 662,900 people have departed Singapore via the Causeway and the Second Link as at 5pm on Thursday, while 601,700 people have arrived in Singapore via the land borders.

Malaysian Chan Ming Wai, 40, is in Singapore with his wife and three children, aged four, 10 and 14, for the first time since the pandemic began two years ago.
"Before Covid-19, my family and I would visit Singapore at least three times a year. My wife's sister and her family live in Singapore, so we are very excited to see them again and also to eat good food here," he told ST.
Mr Chan, who is the commercial head at an airline company, said that while his family members were happy to hear that land borders reopened in early April, they decided to wait for the first long weekend to make the trip.
"I didn't see the point in rushing to Singapore during the first two weeks (of reopening). I wanted to wait so we could all have a longer trip without me having to take leave," he said.

The family plans to return to Malaysia on Sunday evening.
Ms Miijiaciy Jessy, 20, who lives in JB, decided to take advantage of the long weekend to take a three-day trip to Singapore with her friend.
Ms Jessy, who works in purchasing, used to make day trips to Singapore on weekends before the pandemic.
"This is my first time in Singapore in a while. It feels good to be back," said the Malaysian.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Be prepared for Causeway/Tuas checkpoint queues during the coming public holidays of labour day and puasa.