• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Queue, queue, queue...what will you be queuing for?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Private security maintain order in queues at new Swatch x Blancpain launch​

hzwatch090923.jpg

Watch buyers in the queues said their experience was a marked improvement over the March 2022 launch of the Bioceramic MoonSwatch collection when crowds turned rowdy. ST PHOTOS: SHINTARO TAY, ARTHUR SIM
arthursim270922.png

Arthur Sim
Correspondent

SEP 10, 2023

SINGAPORE – An orderly queue of more than 200 eager shoppers waited patiently outside each of the two Swatch boutiques launching the Swiss watch brand’s highly anticipated new Bioceramic Scuba Fifty Fathoms collection on Saturday morning.
It was a stark contrast to the Swatch launch of the Bioceramic MoonSwatch collection in March 2022, when crowds surged and turned rowdy, and the police had to be called in.
This time around, Swatch hired a private security company to manage the queues, which began forming the night before at its boutiques at Ion Orchard and The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands.
Watch buyers in the queues said their experience was a marked improvement over the previous launch.
Mr Tag Goh, a 21-year-old national serviceman, who queued overnight in both years, said his experience this time at Ion Orchard was “so much better”.
“They even gave us time to go and buy food,” he added.
20230909542950152f24d489-a41b-4fa6-bd7a-3096dbe399a8_0.jpg

Mr Tag Goh receiving a wrist tag while queueing at Ion Orchard on Saturday. ST PHOTO: SHINTARO TAY
The new collection that was launched is a collaboration between Swatch and high-end Swiss watchmaker Blancpain to recreate the latter’s iconic dive watch with a 70-year history.

Each of the new Swatch models costs $565. A new Blancpain Fifty Fathoms costs between $15,000 and more than $30,000.
People who went on Friday and Saturday to the boutique at basement two of Ion Orchard were told to wait in line outside the mall at a sheltered walkway near a side entrance. They were given identity tags to verify their queue places when the boutique opened at 10am on Saturday.
Mr Eugene Ow, 48, who was third in line at the Ion Orchard boutique, started queueing on Friday night at around 10.30pm with about 10 other watch enthusiasts.

He said security personnel were already on alert, but they were quite reasonable. “From about midnight to 5am, the security let us move around, so we did not have to wait in line,” the retail operations manager added.
2023090962240207d3c64058-ab75-4117-94a2-3b9e675fa61e_0.jpg

Mr Eugene Ow started queueing at the Ion Orchard boutique on Friday night at around 10.30pm with about 10 other watch enthusiasts. ST PHOTO: SHINTARO TAY
He said that by 5am on Saturday, there were close to 40 people in the queue, and by 7am, there were about 100.
At 9am, when The Straits Times visited the mall, there were more than 200 people in line, with around eight security officers overseeing the situation.
The Scuba Fifty Fathoms collection, which comes in five ocean-themed models, is a non-limited edition. Most of the people whom ST spoke to knew this, but decided to queue up for the watch anyway. Mr Ow said he wanted only the Atlantic Ocean-themed watch, which has a rotating bezel in ocean blue. “Better safe than sorry,” he added.
At Marina Bay Sands, only about 200 people remained waiting in line at noon when ST visited the mall. Each of them had received a wrist tag with a serial number guaranteeing that they could buy one watch. Among them was Ms Cindy Chee, who said she saw about 20 people leave after they were unable to obtain a tag.
Photo42028129_0.jpg

Watch buyers at The Shoppes – Marina Bay Sands were asked to queue in the public corridor of Bayfront MRT station, near where the Swatch boutique is located. ST PHOTO: ARTHUR SIM
Watch buyers are limited to one watch per person per store and day, according to the Swatch website.
Swatch declined to say how many watches would be made available for sale in Singapore during the launch, but ST estimates that based on the number of tags given out, there were about 200 watches available for sale at each location.
By about 11.30am on Saturday, latecomers at both stores were told the watch had sold out.
Photo62028329_0.jpg

People were allowed into Swatch’s The Shoppes – Marina Bay Sands boutique in batches of around six to make their purchases. ST PHOTO : ARTHUR SIM
Mr Bert Tan, 50, was one of the lucky ones in the queue at Ion Orchard who managed to get a paper wrist tag.
Mr Tan, who is retired, is a watch enthusiast with a collection of nearly 100 watches. He said he was drawn to join the queue because of “the hype”, and plans to give his Scuba Fifty Fathoms watch away as a present.
In March 2022, Mr Tan also got in line for the Bioceramic MoonSwatch, which was a collaboration with luxury brand Omega, but “I gave up waiting halfway”.
2023090938301888b5d17886-6ae1-4d7d-8274-6f124df0adaa_0.jpg

The queue outside Ion Orchard for the launch of Swatch's Bioceramic Scuba Fifty Fathoms collection on Saturday. ST PHOTO: SHINTARO TAY
Unlike the battery-operated Bioceramic MoonSwatch, which costs $372, the Bioceramic Scuba Fifty Fathoms is a self-winding dive watch for a depth of up to 91m.
Asked if the new watch was worth the money, Mr Tan said: “Everything is relevant to its price point.”
For Ms Chee, a 59-year-old housewife, it was the first time she had queued up for anything. She had heard about the new watch and was “just curious”, she said.
“I like the colour, design, and the price is okay. It’s also ideal for travelling,” she added.
20230909108959047319b97ba-c720-4eec-bd65-396a5d4b2fc8_0.jpg

Watch buyers viewing the Bioceramic Scuba Fifty Fathoms collection at Swatch’s Ion Orchard boutique on Saturday. ST PHOTO: SHINTARO TAY
A finance executive in his 50s who wanted to be known only as Chris also got a wrist tag. Before deciding to buy a Scuba Fifty Fathoms watch, he read some reviews and was impressed by its features such as the 90-hour power reserve offered by Swatch’s proprietary Sistem51 automatic movement.
He currently owns a Tudor watch, which he said he managed to buy after being on a six-month waitlist.
He had never queued for a watch before either. “I queued for Jacky Cheung concert tickets (in July) but this is more worth it,” he added.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Local brand The Paper Bunny draws snaking queues at Ngee Ann City with launch of new handbag​

hzbag140923.jpg

The first customers arrived at 8.35am at the shop – almost 90 minutes before it opened at 10am. PHOTOS: THE PAPER BUNNY/INSTAGRAM, SG PREORDER/X

WhatsApp20Image202023-09-1420at2011.52.1620AM_2.jpeg

Shoppers at The Paper Bunny store in Ngee Ann City on Sept 14
Sherlyn Sim

Sep 14, 2023

SINGAPORE – Droves of shoppers turned up at Ngee Ann City on Wednesday to snag handbags by local lifestyle brand The Paper Bunny, with some waiting up to six hours.
The prize is a new small puffy, nylon handbag that costs $55 and comes in nine colours – from hot pink to forest green.
Shoppers were also there to get other popular handbags that The Paper Bunny had just restocked and that were known to sell out quickly in the past. The bags, called the Puffer Swing and Puffer Shopper, cost between $59 and $65.
The first customers arrived at 8.35am at the shop – located in Basement 2 of Ngee Ann City – almost 90 minutes before it opened at 10am. Shoppers were given a queue number and told to return when it was their turn.
But by 2.30pm, the queue was so long the store had to turn people away.
“The digital queue for today will be closed... due to an overwhelming response,” said the company on Instagram on Wednesday at around 1.30pm.
This was so people already in the queue can buy a bag, said the Instagram post.

Analyst Shanice Ong arrived at 11.10am to find more than 80 people waiting outside the shop.
The 25-year old was given queue No. 540 and told to return when it came to her turn to enter. Five hours later she bought her first handbag from the brand - a $65 Puffer Shopper bag.
Ms Ong told The Straits Times she did not think that people would make the effort to come early and queue in person.

“I was genuinely shocked when I saw the crowd. I thought, ‘Singaporeans are really free’,” she said.

The buying frenzy extended to cyberspace, with shoppers trying to get the bags on The Paper Bunny’s online store.
One shopper, who only wanted to be known as Ms Toh, managed to buy three bags for a total of $189.
“By the time I refreshed the page, one of the handbags I wanted was sold out, so I had to go back and choose another one,” said the 21-year-old student.

Checks by ST found that at least six colours of the Puffer Shopper handbags and eight colours of the Puffer Swing handbags were sold out on The Paper Bunny’s website by 5pm on Thursday. The handbags were also listed on Carousell for about $95, almost 60 per cent more than their retail price.
ST has reached out to The Paper Bunny for comment.
Newly launched or limited edition products have drawn large crowds in Singapore in the past.
In March, watchmakers Omega and Swatch collaborated on a watch launch that drew hundreds of people to Swatch outlets at Ion Orchard and Marina Bay Sands (MBS).
In 2020, large crowds had gathered at shoe retailer Foot Locker’s Orchard outlet for the release of limited-edition Adidas sneakers.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Queues start at 6am on opening day of French pastry chef Cedric Grolet’s debut store at Como Orchard​

2023091420408307img1768.jpg

Pastry chef Cedric Grolet opening a present from a fan. ST PHOTO: NG SOR LUAN

2023091466795088img1767.jpg

Pastry chef Cedric Grolet telling people in the queue that the pastries have sold out, at 9.35am, but that the team would be baking more. ST PHOTO: NG SOR LUAN

2023091475905574img1760.jpg

Pastry chef Amanda Wong, who was the first in the queue, leaving Cedric Grolet's store with her fiance. They did not have to pay for their purchases. ST PHOTO: NG SOR LUAN
eunice_quek.png

Eunice Quek
Correspondent

Sep 14, 2023

SINGAPORE – Famed French pastry chef Cedric Grolet’s store opening at Como Orchard on Thursday saw a constant queue of about 80 people waiting to buy his pastries and cakes.
The first person started queueing at 6am, and the line grew to 80 people by the time the patisserie opened at 8.30am.
There were also separate queues for those who had made a booking to dine at the 40-seat space and those who had reserved cakes online.
Cedric Grolet Singapore – the chef’s first Asian outpost – is located on the first floor of Como Orchard, a 19-storey building next to Paragon.
The menu here features an array of viennoiseries, including his famous croissant ($8), pain au chocolat ($10), Pain Suisse ($16) and Parisian flan ($14).
His hyper-realistic cakes that resemble real fruit, and are available for pre-order, include Lychee ($26), Dragonfruit ($26) and the seasonal Mooncake ($52 for two) – his innovative creation which includes crunchy peanut praline, banana bread and caramel gel encased in a thin milk chocolate shell.
The desserts can be paired with coffee (from $8), tea (from $12) or champagne (from $29).

CLICK202620COLLECT_3.jpg

Customers can pre-order cakes online for collection at the patisserie. PHOTO: CEDRIC GROLET SINGAPORE
Staff stopped the takeaway queue at noon, and those who remained in line were told there was a “50-50” chance of getting to buy anything.
That did not matter to Mrs Aileene Thangaveloo, who is in her mid-50s, and the founder of and chief consultant for marketing consultancy TripNTravel Marketing Services.
She had been in the queue since 9.30am and managed to snag a photo when Grolet, 38, emerged briefly to greet customers and apologise for the wait.

She also gave him a painting that she did of one of his pear desserts. After five hours, she managed to score two cakes.
She told The Straits Times: “I have followed and been an admirer of his work for several years. I couldn’t get any reservations online, so I planned to come on opening day to see him and decided I had to paint something for him.”

The Frenchman, often lauded as the world’s best pastry chef with 8.4 million followers on Instagram, has two other shops in Paris and one in London.
Como Orchard also houses the Como Group’s 156-room Como Metropolitan Singapore hotel, as well as its wellness brand Como Shambala and multi-label fashion boutique Club 21.
2023091471580311img1756_3.jpg

Long queues outside famed pastry chef Cedric Grolet’s store at Como Orchard on Thursday. ST PHOTO: NG SOR LUAN
Art teacher Chen Jia Qi, 27, who was not able to get his hands on Grolet’s cakes in Paris, managed to pre-order two sets of the Mooncake, one Paris Brest Flower and one Lychee cake here.
He said: “The queue was very long in Paris, so when I knew that Cedric Grolet was opening here, I had to buy them.”
Student Timothy Chua, 14, who had been in line since 8am with just $28 to spend, emerged gleefully from the store at noon with one Dragonfruit cake, and his bag signed by the chef.
He showed ST his wefie with chef Grolet and said he would return for his original plan to buy a croissant and pain au chocolat.
BREAKFAST202_3.jpg

Breakfast items available at Cedric Grolet Singapore. PHOTO: CEDRIC GROLET SINGAPORE
He said: “I have wanted to become a chef since I was in Primary 2. I started getting into baking and love to watch chef Grolet’s videos. He is the only pastry chef I look up to. My wait was worth it.”
Another student, Clarissa Lee, 18, managed to buy a Pain Suisse and Parisian flan. She started queueing from 7.45am and entered the store at around 10am.
2023091497455031img1752_3.jpg

Madeleines were given out to early birds in the queue. ST PHOTO: NG SOR LUAN
While in the queue, she snagged a photo with the chef and got her hands on the madeleines that were given out to early-bird customers.
She said: “The madeleines were the best I ever had, I almost cried.
“For the brand, quality and the whole experience, it is worth the price and the wait. I would return to dine here if I get the chance.”
  • Cedric Grolet Singapore opens daily from 8.30am to 6pm at Level One Como Orchard, 28/30 Bideford Road.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I queue, I buy, I sell: New iPhone 15s being sold online soon after official launch in S’pore​

photo1695347669_0.jpeg

Mr Zaman (left) and Mr Zahit Haque, tech reviewers from Bangladesh, were the first to collect their iPhone 15 at a nearby reseller shop iStudio in Paragon. ST PHOTO: AZMI ATHNI

photo1695346167.jpeg

The queue at Courts at The Heeren at 8.45am for the new iPhone 15 on Sept 22. ST PHOTO: AZMI ATHNI

photo2023-09-2211-45-26.jpg

The Apple Store at Orchard during the launch of the iPhone 15 on Sept 22. ST PHOTO: AZMI ATHNI

Sherlyn Sim

Sep 22, 2023

SINGAPORE - The new Apple iPhone 15 is resold online just hours after it officially went on sale in Singapore at 8am on Friday.
Checks by The Straits Times on Carousell showed about 74 listings of the phones by 10am, with prices ranging from $1,680 to $2,500.
For instance, an iPhone 15 Pro (256GB), which retails from $1,809, was being resold for $1,900 to $2,500. The phone features a titanium case and a faster chip that enables better cameras and mobile gaming.
The retail prices of iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus start at $1,299 and $1,449 respectively.
Snaking queues were seen at the Apple stores at Orchard Road and Marina Bay Sands, as well as at Courts Nojima at The Heeren on Friday morning, with some even queuing a day before to snag the new gadget.
Some had even come prepared with luggages, mineral water and food.

photo1695346875_3.jpeg

A customer walks out with a brand new iPhone 15 at the Apple store at Orchard at 9.35am. ST PHOTO: AZMI ATHNI
First to collect their new iPhones at the iStudio in Paragon were Mr Zaman and Mr Zahit Haque, tech reviewers from Bangladesh.

The pair, who had originally been queueing at the Apple flagship store at Orchard Road since 2pm yesterday, got their hands on the gadgets at 8am today thanks to some quick thinking.
“We were walking for a bit at 2am and realised that there was no queue at iStudio,” said Mr Zaman who then left to be the first in line at iStudio.
At Courts Nojima at The Heeren, Mr Frankie Nguyen, who flew in from Vietnam yesterday to buy two iPhone 15 Pro Max, with the intention to sell them back home.
“In Vietnam, only iPhone’s Pro Max models will sell really well,” he said.
He said he also sent out his team of resellers to Thailand for the launch and hopes to go back to Vietnam with 20 iPhones.
photo1695346421_3.jpeg

Mr Frankie Nguyen, an iPhone reseller who came to Singapore from Vietnam on Thursday, purchased two iPhone 15 Pro Max models at Courts Nojima at The Heeren. ST PHOTO: AZMI ATHNI

Apple unveiled its new iPhone 15 line-up in California earlier this month, which includes two entry-level models and two high-end models.
All four iPhones will shift to a USB-C charging port to comply with new European Union regulations.
The higher-end models feature redesigned frame that uses titanium instead of stainless steel, to make the phones lighter, and an A17 processor which uses the more advanced 3-nanometer production method.
The top-of-the-range new iPhone, which sports a 6.7-inch screen, will also add a new camera with deeper optical zoom.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

tomper has no regrets after queueing 15 minutes for free lunch at People's Park Food Centre​

Farah Daley

Posted on 12 July 2023

Many of us are not above joining a random queue, especially if it ends with getting a free lunch.
Stomper C went to check out the newly renovated People's Park Food Centre on Wednesday afternoon (July 12) and was deciding what to have for lunch when she saw a snaking long queue in front of one of the stalls.
"Being a typical Singaporean, I decided to join the queue even though I had not heard of Shi Nian (apparently, they have a few outlets)," she said.
"While queueing, I overheard people talking about some promotion or giveaway and how today is the last day so I went to look up their social media."
C discovered their Instagram post urging customers to visit their Chinatown stall to get one free Pig Leg Rice or Pig Trotter Rice bowl per person.
whatsapp_image_2023-07-12_at_12.21.16_2.jpg

The offer is from July 10 to July 12 from 10.30am to 9pm and is for dine-in customers only.
"I asked the aunties behind me if it is really free and they said yes just order," said C.
"I was still wondering if it was too good to be true but I just ordered Pig Leg Rice and they served it to me immediately, no payment needed.
"I didn't take out my wallet at all.
"So happy to randomly get a free lunch!
"Taste and portion are both good."

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Diners brave hot sun to queue for $2 chicken rice at newly-opened Yishun stall​

Cherlynn Ng

Posted on 31 July 2023

Is there anything Singaporeans won't queue for?
Food, concert tickets, merchadise launch – you name it and they will be there.
Stomper C was intrigued to see a snaking queue at a chicken rice stall in Yishun on Monday morning (July 31), at around 10.30am.
A video shows how the line was so long that several diners had to stand in the hot sun.
The stall, located at Block 846 Yishun Ring Road, was offering Hainanese chicken rice for $2 from July 29 to July 31 as part of its opening promotion.
ricemain.jpg

Stomper C said: "There was a long line despite the hot sun. You can see some people sheltering themselves with their bag and umbrella in the photos.
"I didn't queue nor did I look closely at the food, so I'm not sure about the taste or whether it's worth it.
"Funny thing is as noon approached, the day got hotter and the queue only got longer!"

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Compose Coffee opens at Suntec City -- so of course Singaporeans must queue​

Cherlynn Ng

Posted on 28 September 2023

Compose Coffee has made its international debut on the sunny island of Singapore.
It is one of South Korea’s biggest coffee chains with 2,200 outlets across the country.
Singaporeans can visit Compose Coffee on the first floor of Suntec City Tower 3, just next to 1855 The Bottle Shop and opposite Mr. Coconut.
I was at the mall on Wednesday (Sept 27) and had my attention drawn by a long queue outside the newly-opened store during lunch hour.

With the many ongoing promotions to celebrate its opening, it's not hard to see why there was such a crowd.
My curiosity was piqued but feeling daunted by the sheer number of people around, I decided not to join the line. Yet.
promo.jpg

cc22.png

When I returned to Compose Coffee in the late afternoon, there was still a queue but it was much shorter. I decided to give them a go because FOMO.
It did not take long to reach my turn. I ordered the cafe's signature Busan Sea Salted Cream Latte (usual price: $7.60). There was a 20% discount on all items on the menu, followed by another 50% discount for drinks. Hence, I paid only $3.05 for my beverage.
whatsapp_image_2023-09-27_at_4.24.40_pm.png

I ordered at around 3.51pm and received my drink at 4.18pm, which was fine with me as I was not in a rush. The cafe was full house but fortunately, I managed to get a table for myself.
My latte was tasty, though still a bit sweeter than I would have liked despite requesting 0% sugar. I was pleasantly surprised at what a big cup it was.
Staff also handed out croffles to customers. It was aromatic and absolutely delicious.
compose-coffee-sg_0.jpg

Staff were very warm, attentive and friendly despite the large crowd, which tapered off as the cafe's closing time (~5pm) approached.
All in all, I enjoyed my time at Compose Coffee and felt that the $3.05 I paid was well worth it.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What are these people queueing enthusiastically for on a Monday morning?​

Cherlynn Ng

Posted on 09 October 2023

Not for these people who were up bright and early to celebrate homegrown brand Mr Bean's 28th anniversary -- by queueing up for discounted soy milk.
To mark the joyous occasion, customers got to purchase Mr Bean's Classic Soy Milk at just $0.28 per cup.
Each person was allowed a maximum of two cups. The promotion was limited to 280 cups per outlet, from 9.30am to 12pm today (Oct 9).

A snaking queue was spotted at Mr Bean's Sun Plaza store in Sembawang at around 11am and got progressively longer as noon approached.
Customers in line were given a queue number, likely to ensure that no one would queue for naught, and waited around 30 minutes for their turn to order.
Staff were seen working efficiently as well as patiently explaining the promotion to the elderly.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Some banks run out of commemorative LKY100 coin within 30min as walk-in exchange begins​

2023120442916218img2346.jpg

Mr Andiappan with two of the eight LKY100 coins he managed to snag at the DBS Plaza Singapura branch on Dec 4. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
Mah Xiao Yu

Dec 4, 2023

SINGAPORE – After visiting three different bank branches, Mr Andiappan, a 72-year-old coin collector, finally obtained eight $10 commemorative coins for the 100th birth anniversary of Mr Lee Kuan Yew at DBS.
The retiree, who goes by one name, tried the DBS Bishan branch and then the DBS Towner Road branch in Boon Keng on the morning of Dec 4 – the first day the coins were available for walk-in exchange at banks – but both had run out of coins available for exchange that day.
However, at the second branch, he was directed to scan a QR code to see which DBS branches still had coins available for exchange.
He then made his way to the DBS Plaza Singapura branch, where he successfully snagged eight commemorative coins at around 1.40pm after waiting for nearly half an hour.
“It’s a very good way of helping the public,” he said of the bank’s online directory indicating the availability of coins.
2023120475926718img2347_2.jpg

People queueing at the DBS Plaza Singapura branch on Dec 4 for the walk-in exchange of LKY100 coins. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
Singaporeans and permanent residents made more than 700,000 online applications for 3.3 million coins – out of the 4 million minted – in a May 2023 online application exercise.
Successful applicants had until Dec 3 to collect the gold-coloured LKY100 coins, which feature a portrait of Singapore’s founding prime minister. More than 700,000 coins were then made available for walk-in exchange the next day at 142 participating bank branches.

Long queues, which formed at various bank branches before they even opened on the morning of Dec 4, were cleared more quickly at some branches than others.
At the DBS Ang Mo Kio Central branch, which opened at 8.30am, customers were given queue numbers and offered plastic chairs to sit on while waiting outside the branch.
However, some customers felt the queue was moving too slowly, and left to queue outside the UOB branch in AMK Hub, which opened at 11am. There, customers were directed to a designated counter for the coin exchange from 11.30am.

2023120428204352img2343_1.jpg

A notice saying that the LKY100 coins were out of stock for the day at the UOB branch in AMK Hub on Dec 4. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
A DBS staff member from the branch said the queue moved slowly as the bank was also handling general banking matters.
Several customers that The Straits Times spoke to outside the DBS Ang Mo Kio Central branch said they waited for around two hours before they could complete their exchanges.
The branch closed its queue at 11am as the available coins for the day were almost fully exchanged.
The OCBC branch in AMK Hub did likewise at 11.30am.
2023120469228702img2341_1.jpg

A sign put up at the OCBC branch in AMK Hub saying the LKY100 coins had been fully exchanged for the day on Dec 4. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
At the DBS branch at Toa Payoh HDB Hub, customers were given queue numbers and approximate time slots for their exchanges, to prevent a long queue from obstructing the corridor outside the branch.
This was also to avoid overwhelming the staff, who also had general enquiries to attend to, said a branch staff member.
The DBS branch ran out of coins by around noon, as did the adjacent UOB branch.
However, the Maybank branch at HDB Hub managed to clear its queue by that time, and customers could subsequently walk up to its counters to make their coin exchanges.
UOB told ST it had received overwhelming response on the first day of walk-in collection, and had put in place measures such as dedicated queues and deployment of temporary and part-time staff to help customers.
Walk-in exchanges will continue until Dec 31, 2023, or till stocks run out, whichever is earlier.
2023120485825264img2342_1.jpg

People queueing at the OCBC branch in AMK Hub on Dec 4 for the walk-in exchange of the LKY100 coins. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
The Monetary Authority of Singapore said there is no restriction on the number of coins an individual can make an exchange for, provided the bank branch still has available stock.
Mr Andiappan told ST he heard a previous customer had made an exchange for nearly 600 coins.
The coins, which successful applicants from the online exercise could collect from Sept 4, can be found for sale on online platforms such as Carousell and eBay for prices ranging from $12 to $450.
230515-ONLINE-LKY100-coin2028129_1.jpg

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Four luxury cars made to turn around at Tuas Checkpoint after cutting queue: ICA​

elporsche171.JPG

The grey Porsche is first seen crossing the double white line from the leftmost bus lane into the second left lane for cars. PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM SG ROAD VIGILANTE/FACEBOOK
elainelee.png

Elaine Lee

OCT 17, 2023

SINGAPORE – Four Porsche sports cars entering Singapore at the Tuas Checkpoint were made to turn around on Oct 15 afternoon after they cut the traffic queue.
In a video posted on the SG Road Vigilante Facebook page, four Singapore-registered cars are seen cutting right into the car lane from the leftmost lane.
A grey coupe is first seen cutting in from the left lane and crossing two continuous parallel white lines. Vehicles are not supposed to cross such lines on Singapore roads. A blue coupe then cuts in, in front of the grey car, before letting another blue coupe and a white one to weave in ahead.
The video later shows the four cars travelling away from the Tuas Checkpoint, towards Malaysia.
In response to The Straits Times’ queries, an Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) spokesman said: “ICA confirms that the four Porsche cars were made to U-turn due to them cutting the queue,” he said.
ST reported previously that on the same day, a white Porsche car that was part of a convoy of luxury cars travelling from Batu Pahat to Mersing crashed into a lamp post in Kluang.
The driver reportedly broke his left leg and injured his hands and feet, while his wife injured her hands and legs.

No other cars in the fleet were reported to be damaged.
elporsche172_2.JPG

The video later shows the four cars having to do a U-turn after cutting the traffic queue. PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM SG ROAD VIGILANTE/FACEBOOK
ST has contacted the Porsche Club Singapore and Porsche Asia Pacific to check if the cars that were made to turn around were part of the convoy.
In June, a Malaysian driver who was caught on video trying to cut the queue on the Causeway was banned from entering Singapore.
Earlier in April, ICA said on Facebook that it installed enforcement cameras along the viaduct leading into the Woodlands Checkpoint from the Bukit Timah Expressway.

This is to identify cars that violate traffic rules by crossing the double white lines, as ICA had observed that drivers would use the motorcycle lane to jump ahead of the queue of cars along the viaduct. This added to the congestion at the checkpoint and increased travel time for travellers.
Those caught would face a fine of $150 and four demerit points.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

School traffic congestion in Bukit Timah more manageable, but long queues of cars remain​

20240109152196010ce612f6-9140-414b-9670-395e308af629.jpg.JPEG

Vehicles lined up along Dunearn Road and turning to Hillcrest Road, outside Raffles Girls’ Primary School, at around 1.30pm on Jan 9. ST PHOTO: JASON QUAH
Elisha Tushara and Shermaine Ang

JAN 20, 2024

SINGAPORE - The traffic situation outside some schools in Bukit Timah has improved slightly, a few years after measures were introduced in 2020 to keep peak hour congestion manageable.
These include staggering reporting times of schools in the area, and converting Hillcrest Road, where Raffles Girls’ Primary School (RGPS) is located, into a one-way street from 1pm to 2pm during school dismissal.
Traffic during arrival and dismissal times at RGPS has been a perennial problem for many years due to the school’s proximity to Dunearn Road, which is a main road that is used to get to other schools in the area, like Nanyang Girls’ High School and National Junior College.
Parents would need to turn into Hillcrest Road – a two-way road consisting of single lanes – from Dunearn Road in order to enter the school’s compound.
Although the dismissal time at RGPS is 1.20pm, parents are allowed to drive in to pick up their children only at 1.40pm.
In an advisory notice sent to parents in June 2023, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said that it will not allow vehicles to wait along Dunearn Road and Hillcrest Road ahead of time before the school gate opens at 1.40pm.
Ms Ang Kai Shin, a grassroots volunteer who leads the traffic task force in Bukit Timah, said that regular enforcement was needed to help motorists keep to the arrangement of Hillcrest Road being a one-way street.

“The school also needed help to discourage cars from picking up and dropping off students along the road, as well as parking obstructively, which were dangerous practices and also exacerbated the congestion,” said Ms Ang.
In 2021, LTA added another zebra crossing along Hillcrest Road and some safety features at a crossing near the bus stop at Tan Kah Kee MRT station.
Still, parents continue to wait along Dunearn Road as early as 1.10pm to pick their children up, according to checks by The Straits Times in the second week of January.

An RGPS staff member, who declined to be named, said morning drop-offs are not an issue, as students alight from cars quickly and traffic is moving.
He said: “Afternoons are the problem because parents arrive too early and start queuing up along the road. Our gates open only at 1.40pm. But there is definitely less honking and noise, and the residents complain less about these issues.”
A parent who wanted to be known only as Mrs Gill said the situation has improved over the last three years due to efforts of the school and traffic wardens to regulate traffic.
“No one wants to break the law, but there is no other solution on what to do. Dunearn Road is a generally crowded road because of all the schools in the area. If parents come only after 1.40pm, they will end up waiting even longer, and no one wants that,” said the 44-year-old real estate director, who has two daughters in RGPS, in Primary 2 and Primary 4.

Senior Minister of State for National Development Sim Ann, who is an MP for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, told The Straits Times that road traffic congestion and safety is the most frequently encountered municipal issue in the Bukit Timah division.
She said: “Ultimately it is about finding a reasonable balance between the needs of pedestrians and motorists, visitors and residents. Over the years, my volunteers and I have tackled various kinds of traffic problems, but we also expect new ones to emerge.”
Housewife Sandra Tan, 61, who lives opposite RGPS, said the afternoon dismissal timings and measures are an inconvenience, especially when Hillcrest Road turns into a one-way street.
“Instead of turning left from my house to enter Dunearn Road, I will have to turn right and make a detour to get to the main road,” she said, adding that taxi drivers tend to avoid the area during dismissal time because of its notorious traffic.
202401099913678089556cc5-fa15-45a7-bc01-8fc37f6a27b9.jpg

Vehicles lined up along Dunearn Road waiting to turn to Hillcrest Road, outside Raffles Girls’ Primary School at around 1.30pm on Jan 9. ST PHOTO: JASON QUAH

Reducing traffic woes​

Many other schools around Singapore have implemented similar measures to tackle traffic congestion.
Rosyth School principal Suraj Nair said: “To better support traffic flow, the school also expanded the student drop-off and pick-up points at the end of 2022, and hired an additional security officer to support our staff in arrival and dismissal processes.
“The school also engages neighbourhood community partners and grassroots leaders to seek support and understanding from residents, especially with parents using the adjacent HDB carparks.”
He said significant traffic congestions occur during inclement weather conditions and during major roadworks along Serangoon North Avenue 3 and Avenue 4, where Rosyth School is located.
But the LTA has made changes, like widening roads and adjusting traffic light timings, to improve the traffic flow in the area, he said.
“The traffic situation also stabilises during the course of the year after drivers become more used to the procedures and routines, and self-adjust the time in which they arrive in school,” he added.
2024010820812502img0840.jpg

Cars picking up pupils at Rosyth School during dismissal time on Jan 8. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM
A spokesperson for Catholic High School said it used to experience heavy traffic along Bishan Street 22 in the morning, but traffic flow has improved in the past two years.
The school redirected its bus routes in 2022 away from the flow of private cars, and staggered the start times of the primary and secondary sections in 2023. In 2022, the school also started a car-lite day to encourage more students to take public transport to school.
“During peak periods, we engage additional security guards to assist with the direction of traffic flows in the mornings. Where necessary, we also seek the assistance of our colleagues from the Traffic Police to help with the appropriate enforcement work,” said the spokesperson.
Catholic High School also has a WhatsApp chat group involving key stakeholders, including Marymount grassroots volunteers, LTA and the Traffic Police, that monitors the traffic situation and can take immediate action when required.
The Straits Times visited a total of seven schools in January to observe traffic during school peak hours.
Traffic at Rosyth School and Catholic High School during dismissal ran smoothly. Some parents parked at the nearby HDB carparks before walking over to the schools to pick their children up.
At Henry Park Primary School and CHIJ Primary and Secondary (Toa Payoh), cars steadily streamed into their compounds as early as 6.45am. Traffic wardens helped to facilitate the flow of cars going in and out of the schools, signalling them to stop whenever there were pedestrians.

Some parents dropped their kids off at the side gate to avoid the queue, while others parked nearby and walked their children to school.
Ms Zhu Hai Yan, 43, walks her Primary 3 and Primary 5 daughters to CHIJ (Toa Payoh) from their home nearby. But on days when it rains, she and her husband drive their girls to school.
“But we usually come earlier, at about 6.30am, to avoid the congestion,” said Ms Zhu, who works in a clothing store.
ST11469.JPG

Morning drop-offs at CHIJ Primary and Secondary (Toa Payoh) on Jan 8. ST PHOTO: SHINTARO TAY
Traffic conditions near Anderson Primary School in Ang Mo Kio get congested during dismissal, when a long line of 50 to 60 cars starts to form around 1.10pm, waiting along a double yellow line outside the school.
Some parents choose to wait until the crowd of cars dies down by 1.50pm before driving straight into the school to pick their children up.
Mr Ken Gerrard, a 71-year-old retiree who was picking up his grandchildren from Anderson Primary School on foot, said cars should not be parked along roads with double yellow lines as it is illegal.

Some residents living near schools are resigned to facing heavy traffic daily.
To avoid the jam along Bartley Road where Maris Stella High School is located, residents at condominium Bartley Ridge use Mount Vernon Road instead, a single-lane road which also becomes quite congested.
To avoid the heavy morning traffic, Mr Adlan Raid, a 26-year-old IT engineer, walks to Bartley MRT station instead of driving to work.
Residents think congestion will get worse when construction works of the Bidadari HDB flats at the junction of Bartley Road and Mount Vernon Road are completed around 2025.
An LTA spokesperson said: “Based on our observations, any traffic slowdown near schools is typically transient and arises from vehicles queuing along the road before the start of school and during dismissal hours.”
Its measures include getting schools to remind parents to plan their arrival time and follow designated locations for pickups and drop-offs instead of waiting along roads, as well as deploying parking wardens to deter illegal parking where necessary. Safety measures like traffic signs and road humps also remind motorists to slow down near schools.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Snaking queues at ATMs on first day for withdrawal of hongbao notes​

1 of 3
yaohui-pixnotes24-9161.jpg

People queueing for new notes at two of the pop-up ATMs at 10.33am at Tampines West CC on Jan 24, 2024. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
Ariel Yu and Lim Yaohui

JAN 26, 2024

SINGAPORE – Snaking queues were seen at automated teller machines (ATMs) islandwide on Jan 24, the first day hongbao notes can be withdrawn for Chinese New Year, which falls on Feb 10.
As with past years, new and “fit-for-gifting” notes can be withdrawn without any prior booking at selected DBS Bank, OCBC Bank and UOB pop-up and branch ATMs. Fit-for-gifting notes, or fit notes, are those that are clean and suitable for recirculation.
At Tampines West Community Club, around 30 people were in line at two POSB pop-up ATMs at 9.30am. By 10.10am, the queue had grown to around 60 people.
A woman, who wanted to be known only as Madam Loh, was the first in the queue before the ATMs started dispensing hongbao notes at 10am.
The 75-year-old retiree said: “I have been queueing at this venue (over the past) seven years because I live across the road.”
Long queues were also spotted at UOB and OCBC ATMs at Toa Payoh Hub just before noon.
DBS, OCBC and UOB started taking reservations for hongbao notes on Jan 17 on their websites.

Only those who have successfully made appointments online can exchange cash for new notes at bank branches from Jan 24.
DBS and OCBC stated on their websites on Jan 24 that all available slots have been booked. DBS said priority reservation slots are still available for people aged 60 and above.
At UOB, the only available slots are for those who want to exchange cash for fit notes.
Walk-in exchanges at DBS, OCBC and UOB branches are available only for those aged 60 and above and people with disabilities.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

‘Worst transport experience’: Crawling traffic, long waits for rides frustrate S’pore Airshow visitors​

Azmi-eltraffic22-10.jpg

Some visitors to the Singapore Airshow on Feb 22 told ST that traffic arrangements were poorly organised. ST PHOTO: AZMI ATHNI
Esther Loi

FEB 22, 2024

SINGAPORE - Waiting almost three hours for a taxi ride from the Singapore Airshow to her hotel was not something that senior corporate executive Inga Duglas expected after attending the first day of the event on Feb 20.
When she eventually got into a taxi, her fare from Changi Exhibition Centre, where the air show is taking place till Feb 25, to central Singapore at 7.30pm came to $120, said Ms Duglas, expressing surprise that her ride was “so expensive”.
“I was hungry, thirsty and exhausted,” the 38-year-old told The Straits Times on the evening of Feb 21.
The 2024 edition of the biennial aerospace and defence exhibition has been drawing complaints about heavy traffic in and out of the showground, with some visitors telling ST that traffic arrangements were poorly organised.
The first four days of the air show, from Feb 20 to 23, are for trade attendees. The air show is open to the public on the last two days, on Feb 24 and 25.
Ms Duglas was among 23 trade visitors and exhibitors interviewed by ST about their experience getting into and out of the showground.
Some said they had to endure several kilometres of crawling traffic into the exhibition centre due to reduced access to Aviation Park Road and Tanah Merah Coast Road, and were unable to secure private-hire car and taxi rides to and from Changi Exhibition Centre.

Others spoke of the sky-high fares for these rides, and long queues for the air show shuttle, which plies between Singapore Expo and the exhibition centre.
Visitors have to pay a location surcharge of $15, on top of the metered fare, for taxi services leaving Changi Exhibition Centre until Feb 25.
Commercial executive Stanley Raj, 45, said it was the “worst transportation experience” he has encountered, when compared with other air shows he has visited, including the Paris Air Show in June 2023 and the Dubai Airshow in November 2023.

To exit the showground on Feb 21 at around 5pm, Mr Raj waited more than 35 minutes for his private-hire car ride.
That morning, his ride to the exhibition centre was stuck in a 45-minute jam because of lane closures and security checkpoints.
Azmi-eltraffic22-2_11.jpg

Some air show visitors said they had to endure several kilometres of crawling traffic into the exhibition centre. ST PHOTO: AZMI ATHNI
Ms Jayne Low, who is part of an exhibitor’s team that drove to the air show, said she was caught in traffic for about 20 minutes at around 9am on Feb 21.
This was because officers slowed traffic down significantly by checking the identities of all passengers in each vehicle with a parking label, said the managing director in her 40s.
Ms Low, who has attended several editions of the Singapore Airshow, added: “It is the same thing for every edition... If they can manage (vehicular) traffic for Coldplay fans, they can surely do this for the air show.”
ST reporters heading to the show experienced several instances of private-hire car drivers cancelling their rides to the exhibition centre on Feb 21 and 22.
Part-time private-hire car driver George Liow, 37, said most drivers would not travel to the venue for a single fare, as they would need to navigate the jam and detours.
He added: “Who in their right mind would come in all the way to the venue to pick someone up for a small sum of money?”
Azmi-eltraffic22-12_11.jpg

Attendees disembarking from shuttle buses at the Singapore Airshow on Feb 22. ST PHOTO: AZMI ATHNI
Traffic appeared to have improved on Feb 22, with the stream of vehicles heading into the exhibition grounds moving faster than in previous days.
Mr Arie Cahya, a 29-year-old procurement executive who took a taxi there, said the traffic was smoother on Feb 22 than the day before, when he was stuck in a gridlock at 9am for half an hour.
In response to ST’s queries, Mr Leck Chet Lam, managing director of Experia Events, which organised the air show, said the firm is aware of the longer lines and waiting time for transport at the 2024 show. He attributed this to the higher attendance than in previous editions.
He said the company has rolled out new measures based on usage patterns at different times of the day, and used all available resources to ease traffic.
For instance, Mr Leck said it opened more lanes by diverting traffic into VIP lanes when they were not used, resulting in smoother traffic on Feb 22.
He added that Experia anticipates fewer cars and greater demand for shuttle buses at the weekend, and will take steps such as having buses with larger capacity run more frequently.
“We thank everyone for their patience,” he said.
Some 50,000 trade visitors are expected to attend the first four days of the event, and more than 60,000 public visitors are set to throng the Changi showground over the Feb 24 and 25 weekend.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Snaking queue outside Ion Orchard on launch of Snoopy-themed MoonSwatch​

1 of 3
2024032618427174ga35116.jpg

More than 150 people were in queue outside Ion Orchard on March 26 morning. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO

20240326108553130img5609.jpg

Some had started queueing as early as 7pm the previous day.

Kolette Lim and Gavin Foo

MAR 26, 2024

SINGAPORE – IT professional Beh Jia Wei waited 15 hours outside Ion Orchard to snag the newest addition to the MoonSwatch collection – the Snoopy-themed Mission To The Moonphase – on its first day of sale on March 26.
He was the second person in line to buy the watch from the collection by sister brands Omega and Swatch, which created a global ruckus in 2022 when it was first launched.
“Snoopy was my favourite childhood cartoon character. I also connected deeply with space travel,” said Mr Beh, 39, who owns two other models from the MoonSwatch series.
The Snoopy-themed watch, available at the Swatch stores at Ion Orchard and Marina Bay Sands, is the first in the series to display the current phase of the moon. It is priced at $430.
At about 9.30am on March 26, a snaking queue of about 150 people had formed outside Ion Orchard. Some of them had started queueing as early as 7pm the previous day.
During the long wait, many sat on the ground and used their mobile phones and laptops to kill time.

“Kudos to the security team for keeping the queue in order this time,” said Mr Beh, who brought a foldable chair.

He recalled a chaotic scene in 2022 when the collection was first launched.
There was pandemonium at the two Swatch stores and buyers told The Straits Times then that many people who waited outside the shops pushed and shoved to get in line.
It was reported that at least one person fainted in the crush at Ion Orchard. Police officers had to be deployed to both stores.

This time, people queued outside Ion Orchard instead of outside the store located on basement two. Security personnel started turning away those who tried to join the queue from about 7am.
When the store opened at 10am, those in line were escorted to the store in groups by security personnel – four to six people each time.
2024032698015855ga35097_1.jpg

When the store opened at 10am, those in line were escorted to the store in groups by security personnel – four to six people each time. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
Each person was given a wrist tag, which would be cut off upon purchase at the store.
A signboard was placed beside the queue outside Ion Orchard, informing people of rules such as the purchase limit of one watch to a customer.
“Queueing does not guarantee you the purchase of Mission To The Moonphase watch,” says the sign.
photo2024-03-2611-06-59_1.jpg

Closeup of the the Snoopy-themed Mission To The Moonphase MoonSwatch collection. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
It is unclear how many watches are available for sale. ST has contacted Swatch for more information.
One of those who managed to buy the watch was Mr Zach Ong, 23, who said a woman offered to buy his watch immediately after he exited the store at Ion Orchard.
The undergraduate at National University of Singapore, who joined the queue at 7pm on March 25, sold the watch for nearly double its original price.
“It was a good opportunity,” said Mr Ong, who plans to queue for future releases.
2024032618781233ga35186_1.jpg

Mr Beh Jia Wei, who started queueing at 7pm on March 25, was second in line at Ion Orchard. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Snaking queue outside Ion Orchard on launch of Snoopy-themed MoonSwatch​

1 of 3
2024032618427174ga35116.jpg

More than 150 people were in queue outside Ion Orchard on March 26 morning. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO

20240326108553130img5609.jpg

Some had started queueing as early as 7pm the previous day.

Kolette Lim and Gavin Foo

MAR 26, 2024

SINGAPORE – IT professional Beh Jia Wei waited 15 hours outside Ion Orchard to snag the newest addition to the MoonSwatch collection – the Snoopy-themed Mission To The Moonphase – on its first day of sale on March 26.
He was the second person in line to buy the watch from the collection by sister brands Omega and Swatch, which created a global ruckus in 2022 when it was first launched.
“Snoopy was my favourite childhood cartoon character. I also connected deeply with space travel,” said Mr Beh, 39, who owns two other models from the MoonSwatch series.
The Snoopy-themed watch, available at the Swatch stores at Ion Orchard and Marina Bay Sands, is the first in the series to display the current phase of the moon. It is priced at $430.
At about 9.30am on March 26, a snaking queue of about 150 people had formed outside Ion Orchard. Some of them had started queueing as early as 7pm the previous day.
During the long wait, many sat on the ground and used their mobile phones and laptops to kill time.

“Kudos to the security team for keeping the queue in order this time,” said Mr Beh, who brought a foldable chair.

He recalled a chaotic scene in 2022 when the collection was first launched.
There was pandemonium at the two Swatch stores and buyers told The Straits Times then that many people who waited outside the shops pushed and shoved to get in line.
It was reported that at least one person fainted in the crush at Ion Orchard. Police officers had to be deployed to both stores.

This time, people queued outside Ion Orchard instead of outside the store located on basement two. Security personnel started turning away those who tried to join the queue from about 7am.
When the store opened at 10am, those in line were escorted to the store in groups by security personnel – four to six people each time.
2024032698015855ga35097_1.jpg

When the store opened at 10am, those in line were escorted to the store in groups by security personnel – four to six people each time. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
Each person was given a wrist tag, which would be cut off upon purchase at the store.
A signboard was placed beside the queue outside Ion Orchard, informing people of rules such as the purchase limit of one watch to a customer.
“Queueing does not guarantee you the purchase of Mission To The Moonphase watch,” says the sign.
photo2024-03-2611-06-59_1.jpg

Closeup of the the Snoopy-themed Mission To The Moonphase MoonSwatch collection. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
It is unclear how many watches are available for sale. ST has contacted Swatch for more information.
One of those who managed to buy the watch was Mr Zach Ong, 23, who said a woman offered to buy his watch immediately after he exited the store at Ion Orchard.
The undergraduate at National University of Singapore, who joined the queue at 7pm on March 25, sold the watch for nearly double its original price.
“It was a good opportunity,” said Mr Ong, who plans to queue for future releases.
2024032618781233ga35186_1.jpg

Mr Beh Jia Wei, who started queueing at 7pm on March 25, was second in line at Ion Orchard. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
Gxgx to him

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fans sing along to NDP song Home at Bruno Mars concert in Singapore​

BMSGCredit20-20Daniel20Ramos204.jpg

Bruno Mars sang his heart out, played piano and slid in a couple of searing electric guitar solos on his Fender Stratocaster. PHOTO: DANIEL RAMOS
Eddino Abdul Hadi and Benson Ang

APR 04, 2024

SINGAPORE – The first of three National Stadium concerts by American pop star Bruno Mars on April 3 featured a local touch.
Close to the end of the 110-minute gig, one of the singer’s band members, musician John Fossitt, played an instrumental rendition of the National Day Parade theme song Home during his keyboard solo.
That prompted the crowd to sing along to the local favourite. Alas, Mars himself was offstage when it happened.
And while it was a nice detail, it was not the first time an international act featured the Kit Chan classic. American alternative rock band Weezer performed and sang Home at their concert at The Star Theatre in October 2023.
Still, Mars – ever the seasoned and charming showboater – had the audience in the 55,000-capacity venue eating out of his hands.
The man has produced so many hits, whether through his solo songs or collaborations, that he did not seem to have enough time to perform full songs.
So a tune like Nothin’ On You, a hit collaboration with rapper B.o.B. that launched Mars’ career in 2010, was reduced to a mere chorus. It was part of a medley of songs that the 38-year-old sang and performed solo on the piano, a mash-up that also included Leave The Door Open (2021), his big hit with Grammy-winning side project Silk Sonic.

Thankfully, he did play full versions of other signature tunes such as soul-stirring ballad When I Was Your Man (2012), buoyant reggae rock anthem Locked Out Of Heaven (2012) and rousing show closer Uptown Funk (2014).
He has the canny ability to make classic genres sound fresh for a contemporary audience in his live show, channelling the greats like funk godfather James Brown and guitar innovator Jimi Hendrix.
Supported by his highly entertaining backing band The Hooligans, Mars executed synchronised dance moves, sang his heart out, played piano and slid in a couple of searing electric guitar solos on his Fender Stratocaster.

The stage they played on was lit by colourful lights, and the show was peppered with the occasional fireworks and confetti showers.
For 17-year-old polytechnic student CJ Chok, the night was one to remember as it was his first concert. He paid $114 for a seat in the “nosebleed section” at the highest level of the National Stadium.
He says: “I’ve been listening to him since 2018, when I was 11 years old, and I’ve only seen videos of his live shows online. Seeing him in person was amazing, it was even better than I expected.”

Earlier in the day, fans turned up early to secure good spots in the standing pen. Long queues to enter had already formed by 4pm, with security checks for ticket holders starting at 5.30pm, while the doors for priority standing and silver VIP ticket holders opened at that time.
Doors for general standing ticket holders opened at 5.45pm, while seated ticket holders could enter from 6pm. Tickets were priced from $108 to $598. Mars previously played at other Asian stops like Tokyo, Macau and Bangkok.
Many fans were in high spirits, and some dressed up for the occasion.
Friends Donn Armijo, Joerick Adriano and Athina Laguesma were among those who bought priority standing tickets at $248 each.
20240403101054068bum3032-01_5.jpg

(From left) Friends Donn Armijo, Athina Laguesma and Joerick Adriano were among those who bought priority standing tickets at $248 each. ST PHOTO: ARIFFIN JAMR
The Filipinos were excited to catch Mars in action, and shared that they have been playing the pop star’s songs at home for the past few days to “rehearse”.
Mr Armijo, 28, an engineer, wore an outfit inspired by Mars’ stage costume during the Super Bowl 50 halftime show in 2016, while Ms Laguesma, 34, who works in a bank, donned a bright pink outfit straight out of Mars’ music video for his hit song Uptown Funk. Both are currently based in Singapore.
Their former housemate, Mr Adriano, 42, who used to be a business analyst here, wore a straw hat – an accessory often sported by Mars.
The trio also attended the National Stadium concerts of British rock band Coldplay and British singer Ed Sheeran in January and February respectively. They had wanted to go for American pop star Taylor Swift’s shows in March, but could not get tickets.
BMSGCredit20-20Daniel20Ramos201_4.jpg

Mars had the audience in the 55,000-capacity venue eating out of his hands. PHOTO: DANIEL RAMOS
Ms Laguesma said: “It is great that this place has come alive again. We have been here quite a few times this year.”
She was particularly looking forward to seeing Mars perform Leave The Door Open (2021), adding: “It is very sexy and makes me feel good and confident. When it comes on, I will surely dance.”
Malaysian tourists Nicole Yong and Edric Liaw were also togged out to party in the standing pen.
20240403108061097bum2994-02_5.jpg

Malaysian tourists Edric Liaw (left) and Nicole Yong came to Singapore for the night to catch the concert. ST PHOTO: ARIFFIN JAMAR
Ms Yong, 18, a first-year student in a private university, turned up in a baseball jersey similar to the one Mars wore in the music video for his track 24K Magic (2016).
Her boyfriend, Mr Liaw, chose a “blinged-up” get-up that took its cue from Mars’ Uptown Funk music video. The 21-year-old sales adviser was looking forward to hearing That’s What I Like (2016), as it is very “jumpy and fun”.