• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Qantas toh liao!!!

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
let's talk about how they take care of their own aussies first, good jobs only reserved for aussies, this act already beat all things that sinkieland trying to pepp up. :rolleyes:

Aussies never had any business sense, all along their whole country has just relied on digging metal out of their ground and selling it to China. Brainless task.

That's why Aussies have no innovation and business sense, because they've never had any use for it. Can you think of anything worthwhile that Aussies have invented? Nope.

I think Billabong recently also filed for bankruptcy.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aussies never had any business sense, all along their whole country has just relied on digging metal out of their ground and selling it to China. Brainless task.

That's why Aussies have no innovation and business sense, because they've never had any use for it. Can you think of anything worthwhile that Aussies have invented? Nope.

I think Billabong recently also filed for bankruptcy.

Aussies are pretty quiet achievers. From the plastic currency note to WIFI. Not to mention in the pharmaceutical field, eg spray-on skin and a special type of shockwave resistant glass that is better than bullet-proof glass - proven effective in the bombing of the Australian embassy in Jakarta.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these just proved that singapore's government runs the country better than Australia's. Everyone living in Singapore should count their blessings for such good governance. For the poor losers here, your criticisms online will not affect the majority much as they are grateful enough to the PAP for the good lives they have here. Singapore should be known as the lucky country under PAP's wise leadership.

Singapore Airlines is one of those proposed foreign investors to buy Qantas. We should all proud that our country's so rich and buying instead of selling assets.

Absolute nonsense!!! It only proves that Singapore government runs its GLCs better than Australia. Not the country. And why Spore runs its GLCs better? Because the PAP comes out with policies that are solely geared to enrich its companies at the expense of its own citizens. Melbourne ranks way above Singapore as one of the most livable citiy in the world, where the hell is Singapore?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Absolute nonsense!!! It only proves that Singapore government runs its GLCs better than Australia. Not the country. And why Spore runs its GLCs better? Because the PAP comes out with policies that are solely geared to enrich its companies at the expense of its own citizens. Melbourne ranks way above Singapore as one of the most livable citiy in the world, where the hell is Singapore?

SIA operates in an extremely competitive international aviation market. It has to be run a commercial entity and whatever policies are in place have to be designed to make the airline better than the competition when it comes to the travel experience. If SIA cannot beat the competition, it will go bankrupt. It is profitable because it is well run. No government policies can make an international airline profitable if its seats don't sell.

As for Melbourne being "livable" I can only say that you do not understand how Australia works. The Federal government has very little influence on how a city is governed. Cities are run by municipal authorities in accordance with state law. You can't use one city as an example of how OZ is superior to Singapore. I can give you examples of places in OZ where a Singaporean wouldn't last a week. Try Darwin for a start.

Australia throws free money around like there is no tomorrow and OZs are addicted to high wages and ridiculous fringe benefits that are totally out of sync with the productivity levels of the country.

We are now seeing the unpleasant outcomes with unemployment rising and it can only get worse. Qantas is broke. Ford is shutting down its assembly next year. Holden is going the same way 2 years later which means the auto industry will be well and truly dead by 2016. Hundreds of thousands of people will be unemployed when this happens and will join the dole queue.

In order to fund the unemployed, taxes will have to raised which will increase the burden on those who actually do some useful work. Rising taxes will make the country even more unproductive. Capable OZs will move to other low tax environments. Why should they work like dogs simply to fund the unemployed? The downward spiral will continue.

Your posts reveal a kind heart but you have a very naive view of how the world works. While it would be great if civilisation could be run along altruistic lines, it simply does not work in real life. Many countries have found this out the hard way and are now bankrupt.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spore is able to do things that would never be acceptable in the 1st world. Such as placing age restrictions on cabin crew i.e once they reach 30 they are out. They can also lay people off without any worries about unions

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Spore is able to do things that would never be acceptable in the 1st world. Such as placing age restrictions on cabin crew i.e once they reach 30 they are out. They can also lay people off without any worries about unions

The first world countries have lost touch with reality. Mankind is by nature a competitive and sexist species. In order to thrive, people have to be allowed to compete unencumbered by unrealistic regulations . Unfortunately, the political correctness that has crept into societies does not reflect how humans actually think. People have been forced to hide their real feelings and say one thing in public while thinking the exact opposite.

It is all well and good to say that it is unfair to sack a flight attendant because she has become fat and ugly, it does not alter the fact that as a male consumer, your instincts still tell you to choose an airline where the chicks are hot.

I keep this forum going so that people can speak their minds here. If you don't like Ah Nehs, you can say so without fear. If Malay weddings annoy the shit out of you, go ahead and tell the whole world. If Alex Au blogged here, he wouldn't be facing charges of contempt of court.

The problem with many nowadays is they want to show off. Facebook and personal blogs are ego trips. However, your ego can come back and bite you in the butt when you speak your mind on facebook or blogspot.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
white australians are no doubt racist cos' they think we asians spoil their market, we can't talk as well as them. but the thing is there is a large community of asians living in asutralia, so no need to give a fuck to the whites. you should see how chinks are snapping up the properties there, so there is hope for chinese like me...:wink:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
white australians are no doubt racist cos' they think we asians spoil their market, we can't talk as well as them. but the thing is there is a large community of asians living in asutralia, so no need to give a fuck to the whites. you should see how chinks are snapping up the properties there, so there is hope for chinese like me...:wink:

The issues in OZ are not racial. It's caused by the way OZ society works.

Australia has a working class heritage and unions, left wing liberals and tree huggers hold considerable political clout at all levels.

There are also huge bureaucratic overheads in Australia which make running a business very expensive. Overheads are twice that of Europe when it comes to manufacturing.

As long as the unions hold sway with wage issues and lefty loonies are allowed to impose ridiculous regulations regarding how businesses operate, things will not change no matter how many Asians there are in OZ.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Australia has a working class heritage and unions, left wing liberals and tree huggers hold considerable political clout at all levels.

There are also huge bureaucratic overheads in Australia which make running a business very expensive. Overheads are twice that of Europe when it comes to manufacturing.

As long as the unions hold sway with wage issues and lefty loonies are allowed to impose ridiculous regulations regarding how businesses operate, things will not change no matter how many Asians there are in OZ.

Based on your argument, if Aussies become more like Europeans, things would be better?

Right-wing goons have been running Australia for quite a while ...remember Howard and his feed the rich and milk the working class policies?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The first world countries have lost touch with reality. Mankind is by nature a competitive and sexist species. In order to thrive, people have to be allowed to compete unencumbered by unrealistic regulations . Unfortunately, the political correctness that has crept into societies does not reflect how humans actually think. People have been forced to hide their real feelings and say one thing in public while thinking the exact opposite.

It is thanks to the first world that the developing world can have a chance to be better off. We wouldn't know what is human decency without the first world.
Why do you always seek to push everyone to the gutters and to reward a few? Why not raise the well-being for all and allow the achievers get more but not at the expense of the masses?

It is all well and good to say that it is unfair to sack a flight attendant because she has become fat and ugly, it does not alter the fact that as a male consumer, your instincts still tell you to choose an airline where the chicks are hot.
Do you want to get to your destination safely or your aesthetic enjoyment is more important?

I keep this forum going so that people can speak their minds here. If you don't like Ah Nehs, you can say so without fear. If Malay weddings annoy the shit out of you, go ahead and tell the whole world. If Alex Au blogged here, he wouldn't be facing charges of contempt of court.
Greatly appreciated. Kudos to you.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SIA operates in an extremely competitive international aviation market. It has to be run a commercial entity and whatever policies are in place have to be designed to make the airline better than the competition when it comes to the travel experience. If SIA cannot beat the competition, it will go bankrupt. It is profitable because it is well run. No government policies can make an international airline profitable if its seats don't sell.

Will we ever know if SIA is in trouble? Temasek money will flow in if SIA needs dough. SIA is too important to fail and it will be a big dent to sinkapore's reputation if it is allowed to fail.

As for Melbourne being "livable" I can only say that you do not understand how Australia works. The Federal government has very little influence on how a city is governed. Cities are run by municipal authorities in accordance with state law. You can't use one city as an example of how OZ is superior to Singapore. I can give you examples of places in OZ where a Singaporean wouldn't last a week. Try Darwin for a start.
Darwin? Who would want to live there? A comparison of Melbourne and Sinkapore is valid.

We are now seeing the unpleasant outcomes with unemployment rising and it can only get worse. Qantas is broke. Ford is shutting down its assembly next year. Holden is going the same way 2 years later which means the auto industry will be well and truly dead by 2016. Hundreds of thousands of people will be unemployed when this happens and will join the dole queue.

I would argue that the problem is due to the rising gap of income inequality. As more wealth is accumulated by the few at the expense of the masses, domestic consumption is hurt.

In order to fund the unemployed, taxes will have to raised which will increase the burden on those who actually do some useful work. Rising taxes will make the country even more unproductive. Capable OZs will move to other low tax environments. Why should they work like dogs simply to fund the unemployed? The downward spiral will continue.
Funding the unemployed is equivalent to stimulus spending.
Rising taxes per se do NOT hurt productivity.
Ozzies who don't like paying taxes have already moved.
Most people in developed countries understand the need for taxes when they are enjoying the social safety net.

Your posts reveal a kind heart but you have a very naive view of how the world works. While it would be great if civilisation could be run along altruistic lines, it simply does not work in real life. Many countries have found this out the hard way and are now bankrupt.
The world will become better with more kind hearted people. For the past decades, we have been sold a bag of lies by right-wing goons who tell the working class that lower taxes will create more jobs and better life for all. Well, the chicken has come home to roost ...the lower taxes have benefitted business and the rich ...there isn't money left to pay for social services that the majority had enjoyed.
This situation cannot continue ...the majority will not put up with this abuse for too long. That's why governments don't dare to cut the social safety net completely.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
It is thanks to the first world that the developing world can have a chance to be better off. We wouldn't know what is human decency without the first world.
Why do you always seek to push everyone to the gutters and to reward a few? Why not raise the well-being for all and allow the achievers get more but not at the expense of the masses?

Do you want to get to your destination safely or your aesthetic enjoyment is more important?

Greatly appreciated. Kudos to you.

"Human decency" is a facade in most developed countries. You're getting screwed politely but you're still screwed.

While it would be great if nobody had to live in the gutters, in an interconnected world, wages and welfare benefits cannot be artificially sustained in one market without cash injections from somewhere else.

As a consumer, I want both safety and aesthetic enjoyment and more if possible. I'll pay a premium to get what I want if I can afford it.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Based on your argument, if Aussies become more like Europeans, things would be better?

Right-wing goons have been running Australia for quite a while ...remember Howard and his feed the rich and milk the working class policies?

Europe has lower overheads because of the EU policies that allow free flow of goods and services.

Your "rich exploiting the poor" is a constant theme in your posts and it's because it's hard wired into your psyche that this is the case. It's like a religion.

I have never seen it that way and I have always believed in the trickle down theory. You can see it at work daily in today's mobile marketplace.

Apple and Google make billions annually. However, they have created a market which in turn has spawned a multitude of millionaires. The smaller players like me benefit too.

Google helps me earn thousands monthly. Apple's App store generates a couple of hundred. I don't get poorer because Apple and Google get richer.

Same applies to the real world. If you have a winner in your city, it generates revenue for the whole area as support enterprises will rise to the occasion.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Greetings from Bangkok. Last night watching news was surprised to learn that Standards and Poors had downgraded Qantas credit rating to junk status.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Greetings from Bangkok. Last night watching news was surprised to learn that Standards and Poors had downgraded Qantas credit rating to junk status.

They also gave junk bonds an AAA rating which sparked the 2008 crisis.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have never seen it that way and I have always believed in the trickle down theory. You can see it at work daily in today's mobile marketplace.

Apple and Google make billions annually. However, they have created a market which in turn has spawned a multitude of millionaires. The smaller players like me benefit too..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-creamer/evidence-is-in--again--go_b_3644152.html

Traditional industries are failing because of Google and Apple, and those who can move to associate with Google and Apple are few. The overall effect is that the industries lost cannot be replaced by new ones created by the likes of Google and Apple. This is leading to the overall impoverishing of people.

I suspect SIA will be in similar situation as Qantas soon. Of course, sinkees won't get the full picture, just the spin.

SIA cancelled flights recently suggests trouble. When you can't make money flying to NY and LA, hmm, you wonder why.

Remember that Qantas as problems are caused by Virgin and Virgin is partly owned by SIA.

Last edited:

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe , but maybe not. The direct flights were cancelled because of the wrong timing of the concept. The previous CEO favoured an all business class direct service to LA nad NY , which appeared a good thing at that time , which was also borne out by the initial encouraging loads and forward bookings.

Then the financial crisis happened and hit the industry very hard especially the business class segment of the market. Loads on the all business class flights to NY and LA dropped badly but the other flights to LA ( via Tokyo ) and NY ( via Frankfurt ) dipped briefly but picked up fairly quickly.

Loads are picking up again but the decision to close down the A340 fleet had already been made.

Overall SIA loads are not that excellent at the moment as you can see from available reports but again business is beginning to improve as economies recover.

The challenges that lie ahead for SIA would be the fuel prices and the Middle Eastern based airlines with their deep pockets flooding the market with cheap fares.

I suspect SIA will be in similar situation as Qantas soon. Of course, sinkees won't get the full picture, just the spin.

SIA cancelled flights recently suggests trouble. When you can't make money flying to NY and LA, hmm, you wonder why.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
No worries, Qantas will not sink. The Oz government is looking for foreign money to bail them out failing which the tax payers will bear the brunt of the cost.

It's a confluence of factors over the years that brought Qantas to her knees. A major restructuring is on the way. In the cut throat airline business, route selection is the key to profitability.

As far as SIA is concerned, they've been geared to compete globally. To survive this industry, you'll need flexibility, strategy and execution.