• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
More related links on the woes of retail shops. It is likely for the same thing to appear in Iskandar in next few years. So shoplot and strata shop investors in Iskandar have to be extra cautious. The next glut in line will be the G&G factories.

Department stores and disappearing shoppers
Rachael Boon
PUBLISHED APR 14, 2015, 1:29 AM SGT
http://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/department-stores-and-disappearing-shoppers

The Big Read: Trouble ahead for stores as e-shopping bug bites
TAN WEI ZHEN [email protected]
PUBLISHED: SATURDAY, 21 MARCH 2015
http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/big-read-trouble-ahead-stores-e-shopping-bug-bites

Retail graph will only go down year by year. No hope already.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only property as far as I'm aware allows you to borrow so much and for so long..

The other businesses like leasing of cranes need a lot of capital..

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You really call yourself peasant with two JB properties? The real peasant cannot afford to retire in Johor because money no enough. I give you example, they rent out the average 4 room flat, only $2,200.00 go to Johor pay rent about $800.00, left only $1,400.00 for two people, barely enough for a comfortable living.

If they stay in Singapore, most likely they will work for about $1k plus each and add in about $1,200 if they rent out two rooms, totally about $3,200 per month, financially wise better off to stay put here with friends and family nearby. By going to Johor they have to forgo any kind of earning in terms of getting a job. So Johor, cost low, income also low.

I am no hypothetical case. In terms of assets I had little to begin with except a HDB flat under my name. With a shallow pocket I was only barely able to pull off the stunt of buying the first JB property. If I stay in Singapore I can of course retire in Singapore...and completely miss out on renting out the HDB and living in a landed property.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who say that those who are not so rich can't retire? That's where johor come in as an option to them. They can either choose to continue working and rent out 2 rooms like you suggested to be able to enjoy a better lifestyle or alternatively they can choose to rent out their Hdb and stay in johor. I think the sgd 800 rental is a bit high as its rm 2400 and bearing in mind I only rent out my 2556 sf horizon hills landed and gated only for rm 2500. There is a lot of lower range but equally safe out there if they can just go with a smaller unit. Let say the rental is about sgd 600 with will leave them with a good sgd 1600 which which I believe will accord them with a pretty decent lifestyle which they do not need to slog themselves out. Please note sgd 1600 is about rm4500 a month and that from experience is what some family earn In Malaysia a month. The concept is similar to usa and panama as its impossible to retire in usa for some people but panama offer an option if they are able to give and take. The same goes for singapore and Jb .

A fully furnished townhouse unit near my place is advertised for renting out at RM1500. If a 4rm HDB flat can be rented out at $2500, this is roughly about RM7500, still leaving behind RM6000 which I think is pretty contented living for old couple. They can always opt to live near well-placed amenities, can take short walks to exercise and lim kopi also.:p

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
A fully furnished townhouse unit near my place is advertised for renting out at RM1500. If a 4rm HDB flat can be rented out at $2500, this is roughly about RM7500, still leaving behind RM6000 which I think is pretty contented living for old couple. They can always opt to live near well-placed amenities, can take short walks to exercise and lim kopi also.:p

Yep agree. My relative rent near KSL, Holiday Plaza and go there by taxi RM6.00 but really, these are not the type of tenants Singapore investors want. Also he is not that poor, he was quite senior person in the labour movement, but old already have to watch every cent, that is why the real uneducated type old Singaporean have to stay in Singapore so that they can get some income, low cost alone not enough.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep agree. My relative rent near KSL, Holiday Plaza and go there by taxi RM6.00 but really, these are not the type of tenants Singapore investors want. Also he is not that poor, he was quite senior person in the labour movement, but old already have to watch every cent, that is why the real uneducated type old Singaporean have to stay in Singapore so that they can get some income, low cost alone not enough.

I think u had alredi been proven wrong in yr analysis of poor Sg not being able to retire in Jb liao la. Still want to argue ? Old uneducated cannot simply rent out their HDB and stay in a cheap house in JB and not work at all meh ? RM 6,000 not enuff to shake legs in JB ?

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Manhattan has replied and he did have good intentions not linked to putting you down. Let's put aside all possible quarrels... it's an interesting learning experience to discuss beyond JB properties.

I've read many mixed reviews about Melbourne. Some are optimistic about its future, saying actually there is presently not enough homes to cater to the increasing population! I find it hard to believe, though if what the authorities meant is looking into the future, maybe they are really planning way ahead. But as of now, they are really building more and more high rise apartments. One wonders how the heck they will be filled. But I'm sure they will.

Like I said, I have a lot more confidence in Melbourne than Iskandar. It's like comparing gold to an old copper. It makes sense to talk about holding power in Melbourne when the market is down. It's a no brainer where, from an international migrant's perspective, one will choose to retire between the 2. Melbourne, of course. It's in a 1st world country, safer, better weather, more well known universities, financial center is there, everything is established, etc.

Let me share why i think melbourne is a good investment, long term of 10-15 years.

1. It is relatively lower priced compared to the big brother, Sidney. => lower entry.
2. Victoria government (more trust worthy than you know who) masterplanning says 2030 population will be up by 1 million. so where are those people going to stay? => demand.
https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/AboutMelbourne/ProjectsandInitiatives/Pages/Melbourne2030.aspx
3. SGD - AUD is almost at historical low. 30% cheaper than say if you buy 2 years ago just by exchange rate difference. => favourable exchange rate.
4. When economy picks up (we all know it will, just sooner or later), AUD is going to strengthen like no tomorrow, simply that they are resource rich. if it goes back to 1.3xx, you know what it means.
5. They have clear rule of law, what is yours is yours (freehold means freehold). will not be gone at the stroke of a pen.

property investment is long term, don't be confused by short term noise. Look at what you think what it will be in 10-15 years and act and hold. Don't be a gambler, those looking to flip 3 properties before TOP are gamblers, i can only say good luck.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think u had alredi been proven wrong in yr analysis of poor Sg not being able to retire in Jb liao la. Still want to argue ? Old uneducated cannot simply rent out their HDB and stay in a cheap house in JB and not work at all meh ? RM 6,000 not enuff to shake legs in JB ?

In the end the occupancy rates and investment returns will speak for themselves, whether I am right or wrong has no bearing on actual events. You don't pay me for my analysis, so I don't answer to you. As for me being wrong ha ha ha ha inside you know that I am not.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me share why i think melbourne is a good investment, long term of 10-15 years.

1. It is relatively lower priced compared to the big brother, Sidney. => lower entry.
2. Victoria government (more trust worthy than you know who) masterplanning says 2030 population will be up by 1 million. so where are those people going to stay? => demand.
https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/AboutMelbourne/ProjectsandInitiatives/Pages/Melbourne2030.aspx
3. SGD - AUD is almost at historical low. 30% cheaper than say if you buy 2 years ago just by exchange rate difference. => favourable exchange rate.
4. When economy picks up (we all know it will, just sooner or later), AUD is going to strengthen like no tomorrow, simply that they are resource rich. if it goes back to 1.3xx, you know what it means.
5. They have clear rule of law, what is yours is yours (freehold means freehold). will not be gone at the stroke of a pen.

property investment is long term, don't be confused by short term noise. Look at what you think what it will be in 10-15 years and act and hold. Don't be a gambler, those looking to flip 3 properties before TOP are gamblers, i can only say good luck.

Yep I agree with you and it was the historic lows of both RM and AUD that I felt it time to make my move, between OZ and Johor, Melbourne wins as to where to park my money. As for retirement costs, as Oz Rick had pointed out Malaysia is the place to be.

So my combination of a property portfolio in Melbourne, Singapore and lower costs of Malaysia gives me quite a strong combination for a good retirement.

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep I agree with you and it was the historic lows of both RM and AUD that I felt it time to make my move, between OZ and Johor, Melbourne wins as to where to park my money. As for retirement costs, as Oz Rick had pointed out Malaysia is the place to be.

So my combination of a property portfolio in Melbourne, Singapore and lower costs of Malaysia gives me quite a strong combination for a good retirement.

We seem to have similar combination. After 70 years old i will likely retire in a nice and cheap home in Iskandar puteri, with quick access back to singapore health care as and when required. Before 70 or health allows, me and wife will live in nice cities around the world with my 3 perpetual rental incomes (Sg, Msia, Melbourne, ideally no more loan) without depleting my cash savings. After i submit my IC, at least the freehold house in melbourne will be legacy left for my child.

Of course for this plan to work out, a few other stars need to align (i.e. australia and sg continue to prosper, johor figure out how to prosper in 10 years' time). When it works, i don't even need to worry if i will run out of money even if i retire at 50 and lives till 100 ...

May not turn out to be as swee as i wanted, at least i execute my plan instead of being a keyboard warrior seating in front of the computer. As i have observed other people nearing their retirement age, they hold a lot of cash but they always have this fear of out-living their savings, so they continue to work when they should be seating on a beach with their loved ones with a cold beer. or they invested in equity thinking they are as good as warren buffet and finding out the cash is depleting even faster.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the end the occupancy rates and investment returns will speak for themselves, whether I am right or wrong has no bearing on actual events. You don't pay me for my analysis, so I don't answer to you. As for me being wrong ha ha ha ha inside you know that I am not.

**yawn** sore loser .

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
We seem to have similar combination. After 70 years old i will likely retire in a nice and cheap home in Iskandar puteri, with quick access back to singapore health care as and when required. Before 70 or health allows, me and wife will live in nice cities around the world with my 3 perpetual rental incomes (Sg, Msia, Melbourne, ideally no more loan) without depleting my cash savings. After i submit my IC, at least the freehold house in melbourne will be legacy left for my child.

Of course for this plan to work out, a few other stars need to align (i.e. australia and sg continue to prosper, johor figure out how to prosper in 10 years' time). When it works, i don't even need to worry if i will run out of money even if i retire at 50 and lives till 100 ...

May not turn out to be as swee as i wanted, at least i execute my plan instead of being a keyboard warrior seating in front of the computer. As i have observed other people nearing their retirement age, they hold a lot of cash but they always have this fear of out-living their savings, so they continue to work when they should be seating on a beach with their loved ones with a cold beer. or they invested in equity thinking they are as good as warren buffet and finding out the cash is depleting even faster.

Good for you, to me Singapore is top choice for investment, but prices have skyrocketed, was looking for a bloody HDB at City View (DBSS) but a decent one costs $800k, my significant half bought a condo in 2007 just above Farrer Park MRT at $380k and has been rented out for 8 years with no break, gone are the days.

So when I was looking at Melbourne, $600 plus K gets you something decently near the city with good tram access, I grabbed the chance.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good for you, to me Singapore is top choice for investment, but prices have skyrocketed, was looking for a bloody HDB at City View (DBSS) but a decent one costs $800k, my significant half bought a condo in 2007 just above Farrer Park MRT at $380k and has been rented out for 8 years with no break, gone are the days.

So when I was looking at Melbourne, $600 plus K gets you something decently near the city with good tram access, I grabbed the chance.

Ha...I was looking for a bloody jumbo HDB without city view (in Woodlands because want to be near JB to whack cheap petrol, food and shopping) but asking around $700k and still want COV $100K...I give up, pack up and go JB buy house better.

To me, it doesn't make bloody economic sense to sell away a resale 4rm HDB I bought for $290K in order to buy a bloody resale jumbo at $800K (I needed a big house)and slog like crazy to pay the bloody high HDB loan which would definitely eat into my cash as monthly CPF won't be enough to service the monthly mortgage.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ha...I was looking for a bloody jumbo HDB without city view (in Woodlands because want to be near JB to whack cheap petrol, food and shopping) but asking around $700k and still want COV $100K...I give up, pack up and go JB buy house better.

Yep good for you too. Singapore overpriced and oversupply now. Johor is oversupply only, if your plans to stay there are concrete, as in your case, then you have succeeded.

louischin78

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well of course, for the majority not so rich Singaporeans they have to scrimp on the rent, no RM3,500 Puteri_harbour type, definitely under RM1,800 would be ok but not the kind of rental Singaporean buyers here are expecting.

This reply is targetting at your point of the not so rich cannot retire in JB and not so much on the kind of tenant that Puteri Harbour owner wanted. I shall not dwell on my investment as it differ from individual to individual and the degree of successful investment in Iskandar also vary greatly between individual as there are a lot of factor at play here. I think the fact is that your original argument of SGD 2200 rental of fully paid up HDB is not sufficient is a wrong argument so please acknowledge that part. Just like I do agree that RM 1800 rental is not the typical tenant mix that Puteri Harbour investor are looking for. So please at least have the gentlemen attitude and state your fact on the possibility of retiring in JB with SGD 2200 rental. Feel free to debate that point and I am open for reasonable argument as this is what the forum is for but at time its gentlemen to admit if initial point might not be the best view.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
This reply is targetting at your point of the not so rich cannot retire in JB and not so much on the kind of tenant that Puteri Harbour owner wanted. I shall not dwell on my investment as it differ from individual to individual and the degree of successful investment in Iskandar also vary greatly between individual as there are a lot of factor at play here. I think the fact is that your original argument of SGD 2200 rental of fully paid up HDB is not sufficient is a wrong argument so please acknowledge that part. Just like I do agree that RM 1800 rental is not the typical tenant mix that Puteri Harbour investor are looking for. So please at least have the gentlemen attitude and state your fact on the possibility of retiring in JB with SGD 2200 rental. Feel free to debate that point and I am open for reasonable argument as this is what the forum is for but at time its gentlemen to admit if initial point might not be the best view.

OK please tell me why my assumption of SGD 2,200 is not enough is wrong? Please give your breakdown on how the money would translate from RM6,600 and how it can be spent by a non income earning retirees, I already gave my breakdown.

louischin78

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK please tell me why my assumption of SGD 2,200 is not enough is wrong? Please give your breakdown on how the money would translate from RM6,600 and how it can be spent by a non income earning retirees, I already gave my breakdown.

I think I have already told you that rm 1800 for rental (assume did not bought any JB property) and balance of RM 4800 for living expenses. Why dont you tell me how is RM 4800 is not enough? I think you are also aware that this amount is infact most family earn in Malaysia with Kids to bring up still. I can agree that it might not accord you certain luxury but it can certain accord a simple retirement life.Lets talk about basic expenses, When I shop raw seafood in Malaysia for RM 800 I can feed a family of 4 for three weeks and this include a pretty high end fish and prawn that not the average family in malaysia eat thus something that you cant really find in normal wet market. I am talking about nthing like big prawn and fish which cost RM 50 per KG.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think I have already told you that rm 1800 for rental (assume did not bought any JB property) and balance of RM 4800 for living expenses. Why dont you tell me how is RM 4800 is not enough? I think you are also aware that this amount is infact most family earn in Malaysia with Kids to bring up still. I can agree that it might not accord you certain luxury but it can certain accord a simple retirement life.

OK this is what you say, because I feel that RM4,800 for two is really cutting it thin, frankly Johor is not all that cheap to me, a packet of Korean instant noodles is RM 17 to 18, I was like shocked, also most of the international brand items in the supermarket are very comparable to Singapore prices, or only slightly cheaper. Street food is relatively cheap, but portions are small, so usually have to order additional portions. Maybe Malaysian families really can take simple lifelife, but I think most Singaporeans would need a slightly more than basic life.

louischin78

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK this is what you say, because I feel that RM4,800 for two is really cutting it thin, frankly Johor is not all that cheap to me, a packet of Korean instant noodles is RM 17 to 18, I was like shocked, also most of the international brand items in the supermarket are very comparable to Singapore prices, or only slightly cheaper. Street food is relatively cheap, but portions are small, so usually have to order additional portions. Maybe Malaysian families really can take simple lifelife, but I think most Singaporeans would need a slightly more than basic life.

Lets get back to basic Maslow Hierachy of needs to fullfill basic needs RM 4800 is way more than enough. For example a decent meal of seafood for 4 pax is easily around RM 300 and that work out to be about RM 150 per day but ones cant possibly eat that everyday . A typical plate of chicken rice cost about RM 5 and isnt that what typical average people in singapore eat for lunch. If you dont cook a budget of RM 50 per pax (assuming that retire dont cook)should be more than enough and trust me that is already a very high end budget and is what some rich people spend for meal per day. if you want to add in Social like golf and some other leisure then its no longer retirement and it will justify them to continue working. But we are talking about option here and choices of lifesyle. I believe even some occasion golfing can also happen with that amount of retirement money. For example a round of Golf in Tanjung Puteri cost about RM 60 per game on weekday before 9AM. So it all boil down to choices and choosing the right way to spend. So please justify the cost if its still not enough. I might not be rich but I definitely know JB better then you.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lets get back to basic Maslow Hierachy of needs to fullfill basic needs RM 4800 is way more than enough. For example a decent meal of seafood for 4 pax is easily around RM 300 and that work out to be about RM 150 per day but ones cant possibly eat that everyday . A typical plate of chicken rice cost about RM 5 and isnt that what typical average people in singapore eat for lunch. If you dont cook a budget of RM 50 per pax (assuming that retire dont cook)should be more than enough and trust me that is already a very high end budget and is what some rich people spend for meal per day. if you want to add in Social like golf and some other leisure then its no longer retirement and it will justify them to continue working. But we are talking about option here and choices of lifesyle. I believe even some occasion golfing can also happen with that amount of retirement money. For example a round of Golf in Tanjung Puteri cost about RM 60 per game on weekday before 9AM. So it all boil down to choices and choosing the right way to spend. So please justify the cost if its still not enough. I might not be rich but I definitely know JB better then you.

Fair enough but very basic living.