• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
MYsians who are also SPR best of both worlds.

Yah Singapore is the only country in the world that can renew PR and still be called "permanent resident" when you are neither "permanent" or even "resident" as you don't need to even stay one day in the country, Bravo! No wonder Malaysians love PAP.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are paying a bomb for that small HDB at S$3k. Even in Ang Mo Kio, a 3-room (2-bedroom) HDB is only renting out for no more than S$2.2k. I wouldn't want to live in JB and work in Singapore. It's really too much of a hassle with the traffic and immigration clearance, unless your working hours are against the norm. As for the RTS, I foresee it won't materialize until at least 2019, if it ever happens, because should Najib be ousted at the next election, everything will be back to the drawing board again.

Owing to the current poor economic situation in this region and especially China, I am not optimistic on the Singapore economy for at least the next 2 years, which will in turn also affect the economy in JB. Already, retrenchments are beginning to rear its ugly side in Singapore since early this year. In JB, even the AEON BIG Hypermarket in Tebrau had closed down since 01 April 2016 and so goes to all the individual shops in that building. The GIANT Supermarket in Ulu Tiram is the only few tenants left (I think less than 5 altogether) in that whole building. I've just been to Danga City Mall and more than half the shops are vacant on all floors on the "north" side.

AEON Big at Terbrau was bought over and be redeveloped.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah Singapore is the only country in the world that can renew PR and still be called "permanent resident" when you are neither "permanent" or even "resident" as you don't need to even stay one day in the country, Bravo! No wonder Malaysians love PAP.
This is indeed a PAP policy flaw. They should have insisted that the PR status be limited to 10 years, regardless from which nation, and thereafter, you either convert to a citizen or the PR status be revoked and the concerned will not be allowed to work in Singapore again unless setting up his/her business entity. Otherwise, to come only as a visitor.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same here. I won't work in SG but live in JB cos the hassle of travel is too much. You want a bigger and cheaper home but you sacrifice convenience, time and energy. Time to me is money. Well, actually it's priceless.
That is why I salute to those who have children commuting to Singapore schools on a daily basis. I sympathize with their children because they'll have to leave their house at 5.30am and not return home until about 4pm. I'm sure it'll affect their grades and health in the long term. Their only available free time is during the weekends.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any idea who and what's to be developed? I won't be surprised if it's going to be another condominium/service apartment (commercial-cum-residential) developer.

I have no idea yet but I got this info from one of the tenants who moved out.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is indeed a PAP policy flaw. They should have insisted that the PR status be limited to 10 years, regardless from which nation, and thereafter, you either convert to a citizen or the PR status be revoked and the concerned will not be allowed to work in Singapore again unless setting up his/her business entity. Otherwise, to come only as a visitor.

This is a huge policy flaw, when Malaysian get PR they drive up the prices of HDB flats, drive up prices of COE cause massive jams at check points daily, steal jobs from Singaporeans, get CPF from employers and drive up business costs and yet the wonderful PAP is more concerned with PDPA laws and recently spent so much time and money to investigate companies who leak private personal information with no significant value. Welcome to Singapore.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a huge policy flaw, when Malaysian get PR they drive up the prices of HDB flats, drive up prices of COE cause massive jams at check points daily, steal jobs from Singaporeans, get CPF from employers and drive up business costs and yet the wonderful PAP is more concerned with PDPA laws and recently spent so much time and money to investigate companies who leak private personal information with no significant value. Welcome to Singapore.

Yeah man. Damn SG government. I won't take offence with the Malaysians in particular though. Some of them work hard, they share similar culture as us, and they do settle down eventually in SG to raise families, convert to being Singaporeans and contribute to the economy.

I take offence, rather, at some of the useless people from other countries. They come here on free university scholarships, arrogantly exclaim it's the SG govt who ask them to come, after that they will leave for greener pastures overseas. And there are less qualified foreign workers who snatch jobs from Singaporeans. Some even got their citizenship too easily.

So ultimately, the greatest offender is the Singapore government. They let loose the immigration policies too easily. That's why MRT trains break down too often, HDB flats became too expensive so quickly. The rich like the greedy PM and his politicians become richer very quickly but the general population struggles through their daily life.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why I salute to those who have children commuting to Singapore schools on a daily basis. I sympathize with their children because they'll have to leave their house at 5.30am and not return home until about 4pm. I'm sure it'll affect their grades and health in the long term. Their only available free time is during the weekends.

Ya... totally not healthy. Do it for on your own but if the children can't take it, it's too selfish to get them involved in this sort of lifestyle.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Roy's contribution can only be taken with a pinch of salt. Look at what harm had that Takagi and her gang done to betray Sinkies, whilst earning hundreds of thousands of dollars to fund her property purchase in OZ?

Whether taken with a pinch of salt or not, the fact remains clear, Singaporeans pay the highest social security costs and get the lowest returns and in the end still not enough and need to retire in lower cost, cheaper country, if this was not factual, this forum would not even exist.

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I need to correct you Sir. Every Foreigner who got their PRs and Citizenships LOVE the PAP.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same here. I won't work in SG but live in JB cos the hassle of travel is too much. You want a bigger and cheaper home but you sacrifice convenience, time and energy. Time to me is money. Well, actually it's priceless.

Less time with family and loved ones cannot be earned back. Once it's gone, that's it. Feeling fatigue from the travel, jam and waking up early will affect my emotions. I don't want to be constantly looking at the watch to leave by a certain time or go home by when. You earn that cheap home but you have to sacrifice something that even money may not compensate it. But for some, it works for them, then by all means, do it. Yes, cost of homes in SG is getting ridiculously expensive.

To me, RTS can't happen even in 2019. 2018 was the projected date when the idea was thrown around several years ago. This year is 2016. 2019 is just 3 years away. Quite impossible to complete it. Till today, there are no firm plans as yet. I would say the completion time is.... unknown. I would bet my last dollar it will be after 2020. Maybe 2023? 2025? Or 2030? Maybe... never?

I would def do that, but stay near to checkpoint in JB. I used to work in China and travel few hrs to work is the norm, just another day in the office.

I see many people having "quality" time on their phone when eating out with family, all the time. It's how you utilize the time given to you that is important. My friend in China travels almost 2hr/way to Beijing to work from Tianjin but she said that 2 hrs is "me", also she gets a lot of work done as no one bothers her. Then i visited her house and it was like WOW! Granted she is still young. She said those stay in downtown BJ may have better life for now (debatable) but she will surely retire much earlier in the long run. These China fellas are damn hardy.

Another point is, JB offers a "choice", you can have "cheap" if you sacrifice something, but in SG there is no choice, only exp. You want cheap, you have to share a HDB with 2-3 other strangers, that's not quality of life to me.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
It depends on one's expectations and planning.

Problem with most people is they like to compare. You what what they say in Chinese, "Ren bi ren, qi si ren". No matter how rich and comfortable one is, there is always someone even better. Funny thing, we humans never look at the less fortunate and say Hmmmm, we are so damn lucky despite living in expensive Singapore and small flats!

Many new uni graduates in Japan, Korea, HK and Taiwan can't even afford or dream of paying for their own apartments. They have to rent. And I'm sure all of us know how tiny a Japanese or HK home can be in the city. Our 4 room BTO flats at 80-90 sq m is a luxury to them. Personally for me, too big a home is actually worse! I can afford it but I don't need it. I don't like to keep extra things or rubbish at home. You can say I'm simple. :smile:

If one had bought a public flat in Singapore, the price appreciation of the flat can be so much higher and faster than a condo in JB. With that added monetary gain, you can then decide later if you want to retire in JB or move over.

But if you buy a property in JB or other parts of Iskandar ( especially those recently) the money could be stuck there indefinitely, unless you don't mind or have this part of the finances covered.

Also, as I've mentioned, sometimes time is not replaceable. 1-2 hours each way can be considered a lot. Some have kids. They can't be moving around like that. There's stress. Some must reach work at a certain time. No frequent delays are acceptable. Others are afraid of the lack of safety. This is valid. All these may not be worth it to sacrifice just to get a bigger home.

I must say that if one has it worked out nicely, then yes, work in SG, stay in JB. It's definitely a possible way.

I would def do that, but stay near to checkpoint in JB. I used to work in China and travel few hrs to work is the norm, just another day in the office.

I see many people having "quality" time on their phone when eating out with family, all the time. It's how you utilize the time given to you that is important. My friend in China travels almost 2hr/way to Beijing to work from Tianjin but she said that 2 hrs is "me", also she gets a lot of work done as no one bothers her. Then i visited her house and it was like WOW! Granted she is still young. She said those stay in downtown BJ may have better life for now (debatable) but she will surely retire much earlier in the long run. These China fellas are damn hardy.

Another point is, JB offers a "choice", you can have "cheap" if you sacrifice something, but in SG there is no choice, only exp. You want cheap, you have to share a HDB with 2-3 other strangers, that's not quality of life to me.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans pay the highest social security costs and get the lowest returns and in the end still not enough and need to retire....
To be fair, the citizens from almost all the other developed countries in Asia face the same situation, not only applicable to Singaporeans. That's why we have Japanese retiring in Malaysia. Whilst in Malaysia itself, apart from the Bumis, the other races are also feeling the heat on the ever deluding monetary gains from their incomes. Talk to any Malaysian and they will all tell you everything is getting expensive every year whilst their salaries aren't going up. When you are earning Malaysian wages and staying in those urban cities (in Malaysia), you'll also feel very much pressured and disadvantaged economically.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Very true…quality time depends on what you do when you have the time. Most people choose to work late anyway, or go pubbing after work, end up going home late. If not, unless one stays next to an MRT station, it can also take up to an hour or more to commute to work in SG. On my bike I also take average 1.5 hours to work from JB, which I suppose is comparable to many who take public transport to work from HDB. In life there is always trade-offs, we just have to manage it whichever choice we make. Sometimes what is PERCEIVED to be not feasible or impossible may not be so bad after all.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair, the citizens from almost all the other developed countries in Asia face the same situation, not only applicable to Singaporeans. That's why we have Japanese retiring in Malaysia. Whilst in Malaysia itself, apart from the Bumis, the other races are also feeling the heat on the ever deluding monetary gains from their incomes. Talk to any Malaysian and they will all tell you everything is getting expensive every year whilst their salaries aren't going up. When you are earning Malaysian wages and staying in those urban cities (in Malaysia), you'll also feel very much pressured and disadvantaged economically.

Many have the option to work in Singapore, in fact for Malaysians, it is almost a given to work in SG, have you seen how many training institutions there tie up with Singapore? All they do after finishing their course, like almost natural to apply job and work Singapore. Singaporeans are the worst off having no real place to go. Malaysian can buy homes for under RM 500k even when earning SGD and Singaporeans have to buy RM 1 million, the playing field not even.