• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Polar Curry Puffs Now $1.50 is it worth it

AddinMedia

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair, puff pastry are laden with butter or margarine to create the layered looks. So may be as unhealthy as deep fried.

Moderation and the rule of your tongue rules.:wink:

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Polar keeps on raising the price of its small curry puffs...I quite like the taste, but now at $1.50 a curry puff do you chaps think it is worth paying that price?

Bro, pls avoid eating Polar curry puff for its fillings are loaded with
chicken meat, skin and spare-parts, all mashed up.

My younger brother is one of their production managers.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My curry puffs are oven baked. Must use puff pastry. Then ready made rendang curry mix, add chicken or other meat of your preference, small pieces of cut potatoes and onions. Cut puff pastry into square then fill with stuffing and fold diagonally into triangle pieces.
Bake in oven then voila! Hope this helps.

Thanks, will give it a try.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This Polar keeps on raising the price of its small curry puffs...I quite like the taste, but now at $1.50 a curry puff do you chaps think it is worth paying that price?

NO!..Polar Cafe was good, when they were at High Street ( the old High Street( not far from Ensign Book Store), and later, when they were at the basment of OUB Centre at Raffles Place.

The currf puffs ( locals call it cari pok), & their chicken pies, were really tasty & good...until..they started opening stalls all over...there went the quality & prices..

I have stopped eating Polar Cafe curry puffs & chicken pies a very long time ago...even their sugar roll, for the prices keep on going up, up & up...quality sliding down!:mad:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can get Polar curry puff at Esso/Mobil.
But i like the one at Marine Parade HC besides
Parkway Parade.
The curry is best, they also sell
their secret recipe curry powder.
When i first patronised the shop it was
50cts each, now more than $1

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best tea/coffe house in Singapore, brings back happy memories...cakes and curry puffs fresh from the oves and icing were placed on a tray to entice one to eat...together with fresh aromatic coffee and tea:smile:
There was once a Polar Cafe located along High Street. It was a small clean coffeshop, non aircond (before global warming). You can sip coffee and have one of their famous curry puff for some 60cts.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
She also use to go to Montd'or along Orchard Road to buy cakes for her family. I think Bethoven record shop use to be a favourite place with her, LHL and his son as well, the albino.

Yes, I recall seeing her several times buying for family.
She also buys her classical CDs often from the Gramophone at Orchard Rd opposite the Mandarin Hotel (now the Heeren site) which then shifted to Centrepoint.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes,

Looks like this is always the case when a quality shop expands and goes commerical...I remember when Pasta Fresca first opened its restaurant just after 6th Ave along Bukit timah road...excellent home made pasta, pizza and tiramisu made by the owner's italian mother...really tasted like stuff from Italy...sadly the moment he set up his chain and pasta factory in JB the quality went downhill...
NO!..Polar Cafe was good, when they were at High Street ( the old High Street( not far from Ensign Book Store), and later, when they were at the basment of OUB Centre at Raffles Place.

The currf puffs ( locals call it cari pok), & their chicken pies, were really tasty & good...until..they started opening stalls all over...there went the quality & prices..

I have stopped eating Polar Cafe curry puffs & chicken pies a very long time ago...even their sugar roll, for the prices keep on going up, up & up...quality sliding down!:mad:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are you sure? I thought it was the other way around.

Butter is a healthier alternative. This is what I read from a book. Actually makes sense when you consider that butter has been around longer before heart problems became common place.

The move to margarine is relatively new & so is the epidemic of heart problems. Coincidence?

Nowadays I'm using virgin coconut oil which is better.