• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Poh Lee Guan Enigma

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
The New Paper reported the following this morning:

http://www.tnp.sg/node/7811

Workers’ Party (WP) veteran Poh Lee Guan is threatening to throw a spanner in the works of his party’s bid to retain the single seat of Hougang.

The private school lecturer yesterday received a political donation certificate from the Elections Department, allowing him to stand in the May 26 by-election.

Asked if he would be standing in Hougang, Dr Poh, 50, told The New Paper: “Yes.”

Asked if he was still a WP member, he again replied: “Yes.”

As to why he was running when WP had already picked Mr Png Eng Huat, 50, as its candidate, Dr Poh said: “I’ll comment at an appropriate time.”

He declined to reveal more, but later added that “elections are about the best man serving the community”.

Read the full report in The New Paper on Wednesday (May 16).

But then, this morning, he did a roundabout turn and said he is the "unofficial spare candidate" for WP!

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC120516-0000106/WPs-Poh--Im-the-unofficial-backup-plan

SINGAPORE - Speaking exclusively to Today, Workers' Party member Poh Lee Guan called himself the party's "unofficial spare candidate" for Nomination Day.

"The party didn't know about it," he admitted, hinting that the leadership did not agree with this view. "It was a unilateral move."

He added: "I'm a business professor. I always teach my students there must be backup plans. There is strength in diversity.

"My move was in support of party, to make sure they hold on to Hougang."

When asked if he was afraid the WP will take action against him, with suggestions he might be given the boot, Dr Poh said: "We'll see about that later, but I'm doing this for the party."

Dr Poh, who was speaking about two blocks away from the Serangoon Junior College Nomination Centre, had been mooted as a possible candidate when the Elections Department sent out a press release yesterday naming him as one of four people who had requested and received a Political Donation Certificate. Dr Poh told Today he was surprised that it was publicly announced. TEO XUANWEI

Really an enigma but it really shows that there is internal problems in WP.

Goh Meng Seng

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
So GMS,

Being such a irresistible political analyst and strategist, what would you do in this situation if you were LTK?

I want to hear what you would do, not what's possibly wrong with WP that led Poh to say he would stand.

I give you first mover rights. So anything you say, you will be the one to say it first.

Just that I am totally puzzled by him.

Goh Meng Seng

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just that I am totally puzzled by him.

Goh Meng Seng

Don't think too much, you look like 70year old already. Try to retire gracefully from politics and concentrate on bringing up your daughter. She needs an attentive daddy not internet strategist.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You are puzzled? That's strange. Always expect the unexpected and that won't puzzle you anymore. You know the game as well as I do.

GMS is puzzled because he was one of the few twits who actually thought PLG could be standing as an independent candidate. His source of news was TNP (a tabloid that is only marginally better than himself).

Actually, GMS is more disappointed than puzzled, because he would have loved a 3CF in HG between PLG, DC and PEH.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Disappointed is an understatement. He must be DEVASTATED the "in-fighting" he was hoping to see did not happen.
Once again LTK's political savvyness outshines these twits. It is not beyond imagination the Election Dept could find some fault to disqualify Png at the 13th hour, hence a back-up is wise. PLG appears to have taken this back-up role with grace. If GMS were in his place, he would have handed in his resignation immediately.

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
The usual technique used for such instances is to sack Dr Poh immediately after GE, using CEC decision.

For me, I would do it slightly differently. I may want a committee of inquiry to look into this and then submit the report to the OPC which is to be held by end of July. Let the Cadre vote and decide on what appropriate actions should be taken against Dr Poh. Dr Poh will of course be given the opportunity to explain himself in that "tribunal".

Goh Meng Seng

So GMS,

Being such a irresistible political analyst and strategist, what would you do in this situation if you were LTK?

I want to hear what you would do, not what's possibly wrong with WP that led Poh to say he would stand.

I give you first mover rights. So anything you say, you will be the one to say it first.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
The usual technique used for such instances is to sack Dr Poh immediately after GE, using CEC decision.

For me, I would do it slightly differently. I may want a committee of inquiry to look into this and then submit the report to the OPC which is to be held by end of July. Let the Cadre vote and decide on what appropriate actions should be taken against Dr Poh. Dr Poh will of course be given the opportunity to explain himself in that "tribunal".

Goh Meng Seng

Low may not do it the same way.
It may backfire on him is there are skeletons in the closet and Poh is allowed to air them among the cadre.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Possible. If this is correct, I respect Poh for that.

Disappointed is an understatement. He must be DEVASTATED the "in-fighting" he was hoping to see did not happen.
Once again LTK's political savvyness outshines these twits. It is not beyond imagination the Election Dept could find some fault to disqualify Png at the 13th hour, hence a back-up is wise. PLG appears to have taken this back-up role with grace. If GMS were in his place, he would have handed in his resignation immediately.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Goh Meng Seng said:
Goh Meng Seng
What GE are you talking about?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, GMS

He is a party pooper now. What are you going to do with him NOW before the BE, to prevent him routing yr plans to have a straight fight?

(Assuming you are in LTK's position, so you cannot say you dont agree with him, becuz my question is what if?)

Goh Meng Seng

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
First of all, does the law allow one party to send in two candidates to contest in the same ward ? Or is Dr Poh contesting as an independent ?

Dr Poh says he is some back up. He seems to hint of a possible scandal that might just blow up in the face of Png.