• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Please lah, it was Lee (unrelated) Kong Chian who introduced bi-lingualism in 1953

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Please lah, it was Lee (unrelated) Kong Chian who introduced bi-lingualism in 195

Lee Kong Chian

is related to

Tan Kah Kee

is related to

Tan Chin Tuan

is related to

Wee Kheng Chiang

is related to

Kwa Siew Tee

is related to

Kwa Geok Choo

is related

Lee Kuan Yew

Not related? Hardly.

The tone bones are connected to the foot bone, that is connected to the....all LEElated !:biggrin:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Please lah, it was Lee (unrelated) Kong Chian who introduced bi-lingualism in 195

The gentlemen named were connected to President Tony Tan.

It may be worth noting that the bilingual policy was first proposed by Mr Lee Kong Chian in 1953 (The legacies of Tan Kah Kee and Lee Kong Chian: http://thelegacy.nl.sg/exh_education.html) and that LKY merely continued that policy. In fact, Lee Kong Chian introduced bilingual education to the Chinese High School as early as 1949 (Singapore Infopedia: http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_978_2006-06-16.html) and that many vernacular schools were already teaching English before that.

Page 81 Mr Tremewan’s book writes of the PAP seeking to destroy Chinese education, page 84 writes of the racial integration policy as a cover for an all-out attack on Chinese education, Page 85 writes of the PAP undermining Chinese education autonomy while attempting to win Malay support by appearing to be multiracial, Page 89 writes of the 1969 bilingual policy as one that appeased Chinese public opinion while completing the demolition of the Chinese education system.

Thus, a number of authors disagree with LKY’s version of the truth.

- http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/what-lies-ahead-in-bilingual-journey/

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

some one started, another one propagated it, and finally one legalised it.

So credit goes to the one who legalised it.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal

I still remember Kong Chian theater, with bubble gum stuck under the wooden seats:o Nice turtle soup across the road. Behind the theater, is Kong Guan, can go buy biscuit.:o

Another glorious ah pek in the house. Never really spoke to them or their relatives when I was younger.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I though Kong Chian was at Toa Payoh? New World Amusement park have one?

Yes, at Toa Payoh. My error. I typed too fast with finger over mind.

what garden?

Old Nam Seng Garden, bounded by Boon Keng, Serangoon, Bendemeer Roads and Kallang River. 32 was originally established from old Mangah Kah (Kempes Road), from which across the road was the old garden where most the guys hang around. Hence, we always call that area the Garden even though the term isn't officially used anymore after the HDB development of Bendemeer areas in the 70s.

At the redevlopment of Mangah Kah in the 90s, that original 32 base was turned into a mass demolishing and reconstruction site for years, the rest of 32 seniors there also relocated to the Garden (huay hng) or across the road to Bendemeer (hai tuey) or upstream Kallang River to Whampoa areas. Naturally, 32 strengthened in these areas. The reclamation of land on Bendemeer (that's why a.k.a. hai tuey) led to the Kolam Ayer part of Kallang River being artificially split into two tributaries. Before that, it was a lake, that's why it was called Kolam Ayer or Water Basin, a.k.a. Kallang Basin in the past.

The north-west side of the split became Chinese area and the south-east side of the split became Malay area that is now Kallang Bahru, meaning New Kallang. Kallang Bahru was initially populated mostly with Malays relocated from old Malay kampongs along East Coast areas requisited, a long stretch of that with further land reclamation for redevelopment and later known as Marine Parade. Of the East Coast old Malay kampongs, only Kampong Kembangan was saved because that was inhabited by wealthy and politically influential Malays already living in terrace houses and bungalows, not under atap roofs on stilts.

The initial Chinese and Malay territorial split in this area naturally caused rivalry, suspicion and tension. There weren't really riots but Chinese-Malay affrays and fights were common. Malays have no gang, or only one gang, their Muslim gang. Chinese have several dialects and gangs. 32 being well established here became the Chinese unifying and protecting force. My family was originally from 24, the Sungei Road to Beach Road area branch. We were also relocated here in the 70s. My father and uncles also became friendly with 32 and most of us ended up with double membership with common enemies being 08.

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Old Nam Seng Garden, bounded by Boon Keng, Serangoon, Bendemeer Roads and Kallang River. 32 was originally established from old Mangah Kah (Kempes Road), from which across the road was the old garden where most the guys hang around. Hence, we always call that area the Garden even though the term isn't officially used anymore after the HDB development of Bendemeer areas in the 70s.

At the redevlopment of Mangah Kah in the 90s, that original 32 base was turned into a mass demolishing and reconstruction site for years, the rest of 32 seniors there also relocated to the Garden (huay hng) or across the road to Bendemeer (hai tuey) or upstream Kallang River to Whampoa areas. Naturally, 32 strengthened in these areas. The reclamation of land on Bendemeer (that's why a.k.a. hai tuey) led to the Kolam Ayer part of Kallang River being artificially split into two tributaries. Before that, it was a lake, that's why it was called Kolam Ayer or Water Basin, a.k.a. Kallang Basin in the past.

The north-west side of the split became Chinese area and the south-east side of the split became Malay area that is now Kallang Bahru, meaning New Kallang. Kallang Bahru was initially populated mostly with Malays relocated from old Malay kampongs along East Coast areas requisited, a long stretch of that with further land reclamation for redevelopment and later known as Marine Parade. Of the East Coast old Malay kampongs, only Kampong Kembangan was saved because that was inhabited by wealthy and politically influential Malays already living in terrace houses and bungalows, not under atap roofs on stilts.

The initial Chinese and Malay territorial split in this area naturally caused rivalry, suspicion and tension. There weren't really riots but Chinese-Malay affrays and fights were common. Malays have no gang, or only one gang, their Muslim gang. Chinese have several dialects and gangs. 32 being well established here became the Chinese unifying and protecting force. My family was originally from 24, the Sungei Road to Beach Road area branch. We were also relocated here in the 70s. My father and uncles also became friendly with 32 and most of us ended up with double membership with common enemies being 08.

I have to get director CID to invite you to give talks to his SSB officers. I am pretty sure almost all of them aren't as au fait as you are with such matters. Can include intel officers too coz they are completely ignorant.

Lian9

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have to get director CID to invite you to give talks to his SSB officers. I am pretty sure almost all of them aren't as au fait as you are with such matters. Can include intel officers too coz they are completely ignorant.

32 kia....hahhaa....amusing to see ah bengs here.......

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

CID should arrest GD and Ram under 55 LOL

How come u 2 not arrested but become police KNN

Last edited: