• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Philip Jeyaretnam clarifies mis-reporting by Straits Times

Manisha

Alfrescian
Loyal
Senior Counsel Mr Philip Jeyaretnam had written to the Straits Times Forum to clarify a mis-reporting in an interview published yesterday under the “Insight” column.

Mr Philip Jeyaretnam is the younger son of the late opposition leader J.B. Jeyaretnam who was at one time a one-man fighting machine against the PAP juggernaut. His elder brother Kenneth Jeyaretnam is the Secretary-General of the Reform Party founded by their father last year.

The lengthy interview, conducted by Straits Times Senior Correspondent Sue-Ann Chia was supposedly on Philip’s thoughts about his recent appointment to the Public Service Commission (PSC), but turned out to be about his father and brother.

Sue-Ann Chia portrayed Philip as having reservations about his brother entering politics and taking over the Reform Party in her article in the paragraph below:

After all, his elder brother Kenneth took over the reins from his father and is now heading the Reform Party.

Asked how he feels about this, he pauses and seems to struggle for an answer.

‘We have always respected each other’s choices in life and we have made slightly different choices,’ he says.

According to Mr Philip Jeyaretnam, his exact words were omitted from the interview:

[Straits Times Forum, 5 Nov]

“Unfortunately, what I said about my brother, Kenneth, in answer to the question on what I thought about his taking over the leadership of the Reform Party, was omitted.

I told the interviewer that Kenneth has ‘embarked on a serious project, and I am sure he will do a good job, knowing his capability’.”

As we can see from the above, there is a wide gulf in the meaning between the two passages which would have generated contrasting perceptions in the readers.

Mr Philip Jeyaretnam had stated explicitly in no uncertain terms that he supported his brother’s political endeavors fully and he is confident that he will do a good job instead of the ambiguous stance reported initially in the interview.

He must be surprised that the interview turned out to be quite different from what he thought about when he was first approached for it by Straits Times:

“It is a pity that an interview about my appointment to the Public Service Commission, subsequently billed as being about my father and brother, omitted my actual response, and jumped to the very different subject of choices in life.

It is a common tactic employed by SPH journalists to deliberately omit, distort and twist the words of their interviewees to create a desired impression in the minds of the unsuspecting readers in order to pursue the agenda of their political masters.

In this case, it is obvious that the article is trying to play up a non-existent division between the two brothers by highlighting Philip’s ambivalence towards Kenneth’s foray into politics.

Actually Philip shouldn’t be surprised as this is not the first time that the Straits Times has deliberately twisted and distorted the picture of his family.

The Straits Times often demonized his father J.B. Jeyaretnam as a “radical” and “dangerous” “maniac” out to subvert the PAP’s political system during his frequent altercations with Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew in the 1980s.

When J.B. Jeyaretnam passed away last year, there was a complete media blackout on his political career, his funeral and the candle-light vigil held in remembrance of him at Hong Lim Park by a group of young Singaporeans.

Soon after Kenneth Jeyaretnam announced his decision to enter politics, the Straits Times again tried to paint him as a “foreigner” who spent a large number of years away in Singapore.

The opposition leaders as well as bloggers must think twice before agreeing to interviews by SPH journalists next time. They will not give you free publicity for nothing.

With the new media emerging as an alternative to the mainstream media, there is no need to rely on the latter anymore to get one’s message across.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely disgraceful. Sue Ann Chia should be ashamed of herself. The perception by the original article is so far from what was actually said. Unless SPH is claiming that a member of Public Service Commission is untruthful.

If SPH can treat a member of PSC in this manners, it beyond belief. Philip should resign from PSC if SPH does not offer an unconditional apology and clear explanation why this was done.

Alan Chee who is the CEO of SPH is a scholarship holder courtesy of PSC and this is the rubbish that he delivers and taints this organisation. A spit to the memory of Dr Phay Seng Watt.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Isn't this to be expected? They are dubbed the Shitty Times not for nothing!
Sue Ann Chia is just a mere cog in a vast political spin machine!:biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Absolutely disgraceful. Sue Ann Chia should be ashamed of herself. The perception by the original article is so far from what was actually said. Unless SPH is claiming that a member of Public Service Commission is untruthful.

If SPH can treat a member of PSC in this manners, it beyond belief. Philip should resign from PSC if SPH does not offer an unconditional apology and clear explanation why this was done.

Alan Chee who is the CEO of SPH is a scholarship holder courtesy of PSC and this is the rubbish that he delivers and taints this organisation. A spit to the memory of Dr Phay Seng Watt.

bro,

i wouldn't be too quick to label the reporters these days, knowing fully that the editors have a hand in molding the articles before these essays are published. i got to know of some of these reporters personally, some whom are decent folks and wouldn't stoop to that level.

just my humble 2cts :o

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
politics is about life and death...can't take the heat...better leave the kitchen...

the battle is on all fronts...yes all fronts...nothing is spared..

not prepared? sit on the bench and continue to kpkb...

if got the guts..go into the arena and fight it out...

no need to hide under sarongs and shoot aeroplanes from down under...

got it? good!!! let's move on....

W

Wedge Antilles

politics is about life and death...can't take the heat...better leave the kitchen...

Months ago you used to be very pro pap in your postings, have you changed? :biggrin:

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
And are we suppose to believe that SPH will be neutral and independent during the cooling off period that their master suggested ?

This is a good example of how 'independent' reporter (note, not journalist as obviously this is not in same league) is expected to 'fix' oppositions during that period.

W

Wedge Antilles

And are we suppose to believe that SPH will be neutral and independent during the cooling off period that their master suggested ?

Not when SPH prostitutes are the propaganda machine for the PAP. They will disguise it as "news". :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
some whom are decent folks and wouldn't stoop to that level.

just my humble 2cts :o

I'm sure the same can be said for LKY & Prataman who were employed by the Japanese during WWII. They were just honest folk doing honest work :rolleyes:

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got photo pf this SUEArse Chia?

Let bros here put here in Cat60 Cat80 or Cat 100

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Months ago you used to be very pro pap in your postings, have you changed? :biggrin:

what u talking? what pro this or pro that?

change? what change...i'm always the black hole here lah...no changes needed...i speak straight to the point...no need to hide under sarongs..

right means right, wrong means wrong....

you want to go into politics and you want to play politics,be prepared for the consequences....no guts, just quit and limkopi...hahhaaaaa....

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
both willing parties

the interviewer and interviewee

everywhere the same...print what is necessary and print no what is not necessary..

you know i know ...that's how the world press functions everywhere..

no need to kpkb.....politiics is gutterish...

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
FEER kana jialat jialat for misinformation and disinformation...and wrong informations...

so how...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, the decent folks bullshit was what I was led to believe for many years. Even Ejay and Locke both have stated the same thing about 2 different political correspondents. Guess what? everyone one of them is an absolute angel and the next best thing to sliced bread when you meet them. In the course of conversations, they will even allude to the fact that they are "different".

Looks like they have been playing good cop and bad cop with you. There are exceptions of course and Ken Kwek is one.

If it walks like a ducks, quacks like a duck etc, as a man of science, I am sure you know that DNA cannot be anything else.

i got to know of some of these reporters personally, some whom are decent folks and wouldn't stoop to that level.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those who read Straits Times will never have an easy life. The stress does not come from news about recession but rather, the half-baked news by putting explosive on alternative parties even in their most innocent times and covering PAP with shields and armors. I forsee cooling day won't be so cooling at PAP front line news and expect journalist from the political desks to work 24 hours right up to the ballot day to swing vote.

The good news is, I have PAP and all their stooges begging me during election days and see them exhausted while I hand over the mandate to alternative parties to govern and change policies for the benefit of all Singaporeans across the board.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

Having just read the full "insight" article, I would probably be the last in line to burn Sue Ann at the stake.

Honestly the whole piece is balanced and fair, except for that one line " struggled for an answer." which might have been nothing more than "he gave a thoughtful pause....followed by the missing quote. "

In my view really editors changing a line here and a line there, and look at it this way having a prominent establishment member saying that he supports his opposition brother in politics that is something :_))

Locke

Last edited:

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is one thing to have guts and quite another to be persecuted for having different political beliefs. There is a reason why dynasties in ancient China have always ended violently and that is because the political status quo cannot be changed by other means. If change of power only comes about by violent force, then we would have regressed a few hundred years.

I can understand perfectly if PAP wants to sue for libel or slander. But I would think a simple apology would have done sufficient damage to the credibility of the accused and the punitive judgements (let's also not forget the long incarceration periods of some political prisoners) handed out bear too striking a resemblance to the punishments of yore. While they may not kill, they were certainly meant to stamp out and discourage further challenges.

Last edited:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, the decent folks bullshit was what I was led to believe for many years. Even Ejay and Locke both have stated the same thing about 2 different political correspondents. Guess what? everyone one of them is an absolute angel and the next best thing to sliced bread when you meet them. In the course of conversations, they will even allude to the fact that they are "different".

Looks like they have been playing good cop and bad cop with you. There are exceptions of course and Ken Kwek is one.

If it walks like a ducks, quacks like a duck etc, as a man of science, I am sure you know that DNA cannot be anything else.

Don't you think you had unwittingly tagged or worst, tapped him? I was tempted to name another but had decided to hold back on the side of prudence. You know how cold hearted those bastards can be.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only once did Cheong Yip Seng come clean. He stated publicly that anyone joining the SPH should not have delusions what they are getting into. When SR Nathan was installed as Chairman of SPH, both he and old man made it very clear what the role was. Yet Singaporeans still think that grammatically written articles are valid and true. Why?, because they are well written.

Correspondents blame the Editors, Editors blame the Correspondents and the rest of us find excuses to soothe our souls.

Here is food for thought - even the sr ranks of the civil service has long held the opinion that SPH political correspondents are paid prostitutes.

Don't you think you had unwittingly tagged or worst, tapped him? I was tempted to name another but had decided to hold back on the side of prudence. You know how cold hearted those bastards can be.

jw5

Loyal
Some people have condemned PJ for "going to the other side".
On the contrary, I think he should be applauded, especially by those who support the opposition.
Although he has not indicated his political inclination, he is of course well known as JBJ's son.
Some might say that the pap is trying to show how benevolent they are, and perhaps they are.
But I think that this benefits the undecided middle ground voters, as this will convince them that being a "presumed opposition supporter" will not have any repercussions. This fear and uncertainty of their own well being is perhaps what has been stopping these people from moving away from the pap all these years.