• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Penalty for acquiring another passport

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you are missing the point. The person with dual citizenship is better of than one with a single citizenship if all things remain equal. It simple arithmetic of having more options and opportunities for yourself and your kids.

It matters little if the law places an obligation and one gives up the citizenship without following the rules. The end effect is your male offsprings can never enter Singapore while parents having erred still can. A certain disservice to one's son.

Many have made the right decision to withdraw their CPF because of it low returns and unfortunately that calls for renoucing the citizenship. I am sure if it was not requirement they would have held on to it. So if CPF is not a factor and if one follows the rules set out to seek exemption from NS, why screw yourself and your kids.

I have been asked to help on so many occasions when their kids are refused employment pass or refused entry that I know that it quite an issue.

Pls read the Defence Ministar's Teo statement (if should be implemented by now).. it stated clearly if the offspring has not served the NS, the Authority has the right to withhold 50% or more as a form of penalty.

Why shld we subject to the harsh treatment if we worked hard for 'our' funds ? served our term in NS.. This is our blood money hor. CPF is our retirement fund and should not be held as a ransom for another issue ie offspring or other mother's son issues..

As long as you have "assets" in SG, you are bound by their barbaric rule.. Oh, this includes freezing your assets for defamation or alleged IRAS invasion or failure to obtain permit etc..

Minor option comes with huge liabilities.. (yet others be paid for millions) after a careful consideration it is good to let go.. You can only comment on my case if you have a 'son'.. due for NS.. otherwise, it is rubbish..

I dont mean to be rude..
-for the "growth" (CPF) point of view, it makes sense to renounce...
-for "liabilities" point of view, renouncing is inevitable...
-for "visiting and staying long term" point of view, we have 2nd HOME M'sia scheme as PR, giving us multiple entry..
-for "Option & Opportunity", we hv Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, US UK, Europe.. I'm sure the salary package is comparable or higher than SG.
-Lastly, for "family bond and happiness", Errrr..... I shall say no more..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes well said

Heehee.. Nonetheless, our decision is final.. My Pro-PAP wifey is obtaining her citizenship soon.. thereafter renounce process.. follow by CPF.. and our life is complete !

We will enter SG with our Blue Passports.. claiming GST 7% rebate.. we are doing our part to improve the SG economy..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only certain govt agencies such as MFA etc. The only govt body that is allowed though based locally is the Prison Service and only applies to those that must reside within the Prison Quarters.

that's interesting...i think in the case that i alluded to it involved a friend working for EDB who was posted to the States...i think he may have got a waiver from hdb on the grounds that he was working for another stat board??...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please read my post again. I am not asking you to keep your CPF. In fact you should take it out. The returns are pitiful and rules are being made up as they go.

Sorry bro, for the rest, don't understand what you are writing.

This thread is about acquiring another passport. If you have to take out the CPF, obviously you have to renouce your Singapore citizenship. Its meant for those that either don't have much in CPF (typically businessmen) or don't need to take out CPF for whatever reason.

As to the conduct of the Singapore Govt, I think we all know how they behave or misbehave and thats why we are in this forum. No need a lecture on this. Thats the reason why I always encourage people to seek greener pastures or put their finger in more than one pie.

Pls read the Defence Ministar's Teo statement (if should be implemented by now).. it stated clearly if the offspring has not served the NS, the Authority has the right to withhold 50% or more as a form of penalty.

Why shld we subject to the harsh treatment if we worked hard for 'our' funds ? served our term in NS.. This is our blood money hor. CPF is our retirement fund and should not be held as a ransom for another issue ie offspring or other mother's son issues..

As long as you have "assets" in SG, you are bound by their barbaric rule.. Oh, this includes freezing your assets for defamation or alleged IRAS invasion or failure to obtain permit etc..

Minor option comes with huge liabilities.. (yet others be paid for millions) after a careful consideration it is good to let go.. You can only comment on my case if you have a 'son'.. due for NS.. otherwise, it is rubbish..

I dont mean to be rude..
-for the "growth" (CPF) point of view, it makes sense to renounce...
-for "liabilities" point of view, renouncing is inevitable...
-for "visiting and staying long term" point of view, we have 2nd HOME M'sia scheme as PR, giving us multiple entry..
-for "Option & Opportunity", we hv Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, US UK, Europe.. I'm sure the salary package is comparable or higher than SG.
-Lastly, for "family bond and happiness", Errrr..... I shall say no more..

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Along the lines of having another passport.

When you renew your Singapore passport which now expires every 5 years, you need to answer this question on whether you have another passport. One should admit having another passport so as not to perjure oneself.

Now question is whether you will be allowed to renew the passport. If so, that is a tacit agreement by Singapore G to allow dual citizenship.

After all at that juncture they could just not renew your Singapore passport and cancel it with immediate effect. So has anyone answered yes to having another citizenship and yet had the Singapore passport renewed?

I personally feel that as long as you have served you NS, you should be entitled to Singapore passport for life. After all you have put close to 4 years of your life towards national service. Those that have served NS should also be entitled to HDBs, added medical benefits and some old age SAF annuity especially for those that fall below a certain income level. In a way, this can be looked upon as compensation for the loss economic benefit that you suffered when you gave 2 years of your life to NS not to mention disruption to your career of another 2 years for reserve. Lets call them SAF veterans and also grant them 5% priority for Gov jobs - after all they give grassroot people 5% priority for HDB flats.

Once we have recognized the Singaporeans that served, we can start allowing another class of Singaporeans that have not served NS. They maybe FT, newly minted Singaporeans with dual citizenship from their former countries that apply for citizenship after 25/30 years old.

Ex Singaporeans that left before 11 (whatever is the age that you must leave to avoid NS liability) and now come back are aged 25 or 30 years old and want a Singapore citizenship. These Singaporeans are NOT SAF veterans and thus have low priority for direct sale HDB flats, no HDB loans, no job priority for G jobs. Other than that they are fully embraced as Singaporeans - minus the "veteran's" benefits.

The G can increase the value of the "veteran's" benefits to balance out the intake of Singapore citizens who have not served NS (larger HDB grants, better old age annuity, better medical care). I think when you come to a point where newly minted citizens chose to send their sons in for NS when they have a choice not to do so, that is when the value of "veteran's benefits" is in equilibrium.

Xisiqomelir

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really. So, if you decide to live in another country permanently, or lets say for 30 years until your Reservist obligations are done, you will have to renew your exit permit 15 times. Is that right. U will also have to apply for a new passport at the nearest singapore embassy, as your passport would have expired long before than. So, you would say that MINDEF exit permit office would not smell a rat and happily renew u every 2 years. U are saying that they would not have notified some other office that u are probably not intending to return. Plus u have to get a job letter from your employer every 2 years to renew your exit permit. Seriously, who does all this.

Umm, I do it.

Renewing the exit permit is supremely easy and 100% online. I have done it consistently since 2003 and have always been instantly approved.

I've already renewed my passport once, I'm going to do it again this year.

Now, granted, I completed my full course of national slavery. Also, when I left for school in America I had never worked a day in Pee Sai and I never had a CPF account. I've tried to file taxes but the IRAS website tells me I don't need to file (and my earnings are 100% foreign income anyway, which are untaxable under the SG taxation schedule).

livingstone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please read my post again. I am not asking you to keep your CPF. In fact you should take it out. The returns are pitiful and rules are being made up as they go. ....

Since you're an expert in CPF, I got some money, long time ago in my medisafe, can get out or not? I never touch my CPF long time already...... surprisingly, it's still paying for my HDB flat (my loan finishing soon)..... dunno why?

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since you're an expert in CPF, I got some money, long time ago in my medisafe, can get out or not? I never touch my CPF long time already...... surprisingly, it's still paying for my HDB flat (my loan finishing soon)..... dunno why?

Hey bearded cave dweller, did your fat ass wife get on the activia yet?

Come on now, loooooose that fat ass

Oh by the way, it looks like I got another invite to a game this weekend. Holy shit goat fucker, I am so thankful.

U really are the gift that keeps on giving.

But in 3 months the NFL preseason starts. And this year with your Saudi jihadi ass amusing everyone in the office, I am a sure win to score one of the extra season tickets this year. Every TD, we'll say "to the Saudi Wife Beater"

Season tickets baaaaaaabbbbbyyy. All thanks to a goat fucking bearded wife beater

Yeeeeeees! Three more months. On the 50 yard line. In my box seat.....

YYYYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssss

Oh man oh man oh man

I cant wait!

Thank you for being such a goat fucker!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
CPF no longer keeps up with the inflation rate and there are better rates in the market place. If the amount is small and you still want to hold on to the citizenship, then don't bother.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
CPF no longer keeps up with the inflation rate and there are better rates in the market place. If the amount is small and you still want to hold on to the citizenship, then don't bother.

Hey livingston/scrotum/100 other nicks, goat fucker, I hear your wife's pussy is now so loose and hairy all you can do is fuck your son

U sick man.

Need help

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Umm, I do it.

Renewing the exit permit is supremely easy and 100% online. I have done it consistently since 2003 and have always been instantly approved.

I've already renewed my passport once, I'm going to do it again this year.

Now, granted, I completed my full course of national slavery. Also, when I left for school in America I had never worked a day in Pee Sai and I never had a CPF account. I've tried to file taxes but the IRAS website tells me I don't need to file (and my earnings are 100% foreign income anyway, which are untaxable under the SG taxation schedule).

you will definitely have CPF, you got edusave right? All that remaining $$ from your edusave gets dumped into your CPF. Unless you really spent every single cent in your edusave fund before you finished JC. I know I never did.I have like $300 edusave $$ in CPF, and that's basically what I have for CPF.

Exit Permit is easy to apply and extend online - thanks to formerly miw.com.sg and now ns.sg, passport also easy to renew at the consulate-general's office.

Cheers,
Trout

livingstone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks. I think we're not able to take the money out from Medisave.... well, the medical cost can be expensive in the U.S., so Medisave in Singapore can help me a bit just in case I need it. With Temasek losing 1.2 billions.... I dunno what the government will do now with CPF.....

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. I think we're not able to take the money out from Medisave.... well, the medical cost can be expensive in the U.S., so Medisave in Singapore can help me a bit just in case I need it. With Temasek losing 1.2 billions.... I dunno what the government will do now with CPF.....

How come your camels have beards too? Isnt that wierd? Even your camels have 'em!

How come you dont take baths? How come you people like to use bombs?

Is it true you teach your children to have sex with camels?

Hee Hee Hee

:p:p:p:p:p

Xisiqomelir

Alfrescian
Loyal
you will definitely have CPF, you got edusave right? All that remaining $$ from your edusave gets dumped into your CPF. Unless you really spent every single cent in your edusave fund before you finished JC. I know I never did.I have like $300 edusave $$ in CPF, and that's basically what I have for CPF.

I could honestly never work out any of that pandering nonsense. What I've never had, I'll never miss! In any case, I wouldn't trade a single Sonoran sunset for $300 PSD :smile:

Exit Permit is easy to apply and extend online - thanks to formerly miw.com.sg and now ns.sg, passport also easy to renew at the consulate-general's office.

Cheers,
Trout

It is amazingly convenient, isn't it? It makes you wonder what the point of NS is at all.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are sadly mistaken about the Medisave part. Those who renounce SG citizenship get to withdraw the full amount (Ordinary Acc, Special Acc & Medisave).

What has expensive Medical Cost in US got to do with SG Medisave? I don't thing Medisave can be used for overseas Medical Treatment! It would be better to buy Medical Health insurance policies in the US. Or when visiting S'pore as a renounced citizen, to buy Travel Insurance with Medical Coverage than to depend on one's limited Medisave funds which may not be sufficient to cover Medical Treatment in an emergency.

Comparing the CPF Medisave vs Medical Health Insurance policies worldwide. Medisave isn't so attractive or value for money with all the CPF restrictions imposed. I believe one has to eventually save up to $40,000 (capped) as an individual in the Medisave account (during one's working life)- that is money that cannot never ever be withdrawn unless one renounces citizenship.

Even with Medisave/Medishield etc etc, one can go into serious debt by using up all the Medisave when afflicted with a terrible disease. My point is, I believe one can get a better deal by using the $40,000 to buy a good lifetime Medical Protection Plan as a foreign citizen in countries that do not provide free Tertiary Healthcare.

The sad thing about SG CPF is that one's own money is being held ransom by a string of unilateral policy changes (goalposts changing) made by the PAP without any say of the person who is the rightful owner of the cash.

Last edited:

livingstone

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are sadly mistaken about the Medisave part. Those who renounce SG citizenship get to withdraw the full amount (Ordinary Acc, Special Acc & Medisave).........
I was saying that I can use Medisave if I have some illnesses, by seeking treatment in Singapore, instead of in the US, where most insurance has a cap of $250,000. I'm self-employed now in the US, and I've a health insurance that doesn't cover a lot... and I don't work for the government.

But thanks.... for the advice on giving up Sg citizenship.... I'm not really prepared.... my wife who's from Romania, doesn't even want to give up her Romanian citizenship....

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was saying that I can use Medisave if I have some illnesses, by seeking treatment in Singapore, instead of in the US, where most insurance has a cap of $250,000. I'm self-employed now in the US, and I've a health insurance that doesn't cover a lot... and I don't work for the government.

But thanks.... for the advice on giving up Sg citizenship.... I'm not really prepared.... my wife who's from Romania, doesn't even want to give up her Romanian citizenship....

The current ceiling for Medisave is I believe $25000 which is set to rise to $40,000? Even with Medishield coverage there is a very good chance of blowing out the entire Medisave and still be short in view of the high costs of healthcare in SINGAPORE.

Considering that you are no longer working in Singapore and contributing to the CPF, the amount in your Medisave would probably be stagnated and not growing very much based on the meagre interests rates the CPF pays. Would it still be enough to pay for your treatment in Singapore then?

To hang on to SG citizenship solely on the strength of using Medisave for medical treatment in Singapore is really NEW to me!

My point is; I could use the total amount of my CPF including MEDISAVE and invest it for greater returns to pay for a GOOD HEALTH insurance annually to provide comprehensive coverage that the SG govt cannot provide.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a similar post sometime back from a chap in the US about medisave. He did not need the CPF money and wanted to keep his medisave to fund medishield (medical insurance) as the US medical costs were high. I think it good insurance, just in case.

Though this situation is not similar but it drives home the point about medical costs elsewhere. George Boggars, who retired as a perm sec migrated to OZ but when he fell ill, returned to Singapore for treatment. I heard that it costs a bomb. He was not the only one. That was the primary reason, the govt removed the then attractive medical coverage for civil servants.

Looks like you have covered all angles.

Its also a good info for those who have little CPF to use medisave to buy medishield or an approved medical insurance under the PMIS scheme. It will cover any eventualities such as higher costs where one currently resides or provides coverage when you return to visit Singapore.

livingstone

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a similar post sometime back from a chap in the US about medisave. He did not need the CPF money and wanted to keep his medisave to fund medishield (medical ...
Ozzie land has a really good healthcare system. US healthcare has a limit to everything....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard that most Singapore civil service retirees prefer to come back as the the OZ free service does not allow doctor to be chosen and hospital and there is wait period for non critical procedures. Of course the local food is also a pull as I understand. George Boggars was local food fanatic.

Ozzie land has a really good healthcare system. US healthcare has a limit to everything....