• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Penalty for acquiring another passport

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
u are mistaken. What the thread starter is saying is that he now has a Mars bar. For some reason he is so dissatisfied with it that he has at considerable time and expense acquired a kit Kat. Now he is trying to hold on to both. The question he has to ask himself is if he was so dissatified with the Mars bar in the first place, why even consider keeping it now that he has the Kit Kat? Got it?

Do read again especially this particular sentence:

"Assume if someone has made up his/her mind about taking on another passport but not yet certain on whether to give up a Singapore passport."

Do also see the title of his thread copied below for your convenience. Note the bold and underlined.

"Re: Penalty for acquiring another passport"

Thats reason why I took the time to explain because we got too many "heros" with no clue about anything.

By now it should be crystal clear what this thread is about. By the way, any reasonable person with a decent IQ will not have second thoughts of migrating to a 1st world country. In most cases, it family and friends that tie them down.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

"Assume if someone has made up his/her mind about taking on another passport but not yet certain on whether to give up a Singapore passport."

Do also see the title of his thread copied below for your convenience. Note the bold and underlined.

Thats reason why I took the time to explain because we got too many "heros" with no clue about anything.

By now it should be crystal clear what this thread is about. By the way, any reasonable person with a decent IQ will not have second thoughts of migrating to a 1st world country. In most cases, it family and friends that tie them down.

Again, u are mistaken. The threadstarter already knows that acquiring another passport is illegal and hence his thread title includes the word "Penalty". This kiasu clown starts the thread to see what is his downside if he gets caught. This is stupid. If u are caught and the govt. decides to make an example of you, than its a fine and jail time. Simple as that. Also, if NRO determines that u have no intention to return to your home country, and are merely travelling under the Sin passport for convenience, again good luck to you. If you are lucky and they let u come and go, u will still always have a wary feeling went u enter and leave singapore. My point to him is not to be an idiot. renounce and come and go on an aussie passport WITH A CLEAR CONSCIENCE. How can u enjoy your holiday if u are always afraid that u will be caught in S'pore holding Aussie travel docs? Family and friend ties are the most stupid reason for not giving up your S'pore citizenship. What? U cannot come into singapore and visit them on an Aussie passport? U don't even need a fucking visa. U mean 3 months not enough? Please................and. If this moronic threadstarter has enemies or jealous colleagues, all it takes is one phone call to the police station to report that he is in singapore with another country's passport or citizenship, and than u see what happens to him. If u have any sort of brains, u will tell him the same thing too. This kind of idiots don't realise that there are millions of people in the world who will give up their right arm for an aussie passport, and gladly kiss of their home country off and be 100% loyal to their adopted country. Better off that he stays in S'pore and give his spot up to someone who really wants it, or needs it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you living in the dark ages.

You can march to ICA today and produce both your passports and they will tell you it is no longer necessary to give up your singapore citizenship.

Here is an excerpt from ICA website. Notice the dual citizenship comment. Why you think dual citizenship comment exist.

List of AnswersQ1: Who is eligible to apply for a passport?
A: Only Singapore citizens are eligible to apply for a Singapore passport.

Q2: If I was born overseas and have just turned 21 years old, can I apply for a passport without taking my oath?
A: If you are holding dual citizenship and have reached 21 years old, you are required to take your oath of allegiance before your 22nd birthday. Only then can you apply for a Singapore passport.

Q3: How can I apply for a passport if I live overseas?
A: As a Singapore citizen residing overseas, you can choose to apply for your passport on-line via APPLES or you can obtain the application forms at the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission and submit your application through the Mission. Thereafter, you can pick up your passport from your desired mission.

Again, u are mistaken. The threadstarter already knows that acquiring another passport is illegal and hence his thread title includes the word "Penalty". This kiasu clown starts the thread to see what is his downside if he gets caught. This is stupid. If u are caught and needs it.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope this settles the issue once and for all. Only minors below the age of 21 are temporarily given the option of holding on to multiple citizenship until age 21 when they are legally required to hold only one by providing proof of renunciation of all remaining foreign citizenship to ICA. As far as the Singapore Constitution goes; the Singapore govt can and will strip any Singaporean of his citizenship if he holds foreign citizenship or exercise the rights of a foreign citizen.

http://singaporemagazine.sif.org.sg/archive/index.php?id=104
»Jan to Mar 07 »Slice of Life »the case for dual citizenship

the case for dual citizenship
Is Singapore ready for dual citizenship? In a reply to a reader’s letter to The Straits Times forum, the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority’s (ICA) response was, “We have yet to reach the stage of nationhood where a Singaporean with a second citizenship would still retain his identity and loyalty to Singapore as his homeland wherever he goes, with his second citizenship being only of secondary importance.” This caused quite a stir, prompting responses from the public in favour of Mr Betrand Teo, the author of the letter. Ms Mabel Leong asked ICA for evidence of its claim, otherwise, to her, “The statement is, at best, academic and unproven and, in my view, outdated.”

Ms Leong referred to the recent trend of globalisation and the changing demographic pattern of the population, “Because globalisation results in freer movement across borders, the ICA, and government agencies should look critically into whether a dual-citizenship policy would promote a freer flow of human capital into Singapore.” Another reader wrote in and summed up the debate with this analogy, “Most people have two parents. Do we feel less loyal to any one of our parents? I doubt so, in the average family setting.”

Deprivation of citizenship (The Singapore Constitution).

A person may lose his/her Singapore citizenship in the following cases:

a.in the case of a minor citizen, if he/she failed to take the Oath of Renunciation, Allegiance & Loyalty within 1 year of turning 21;
b.Where the person, while 18 years or older, acquired the citizenship of another country;
c.Where the person renounced his/her citizenship.
The government may, by order, deprive a person of his/her citizenship, if it is satisfied that the person: -
a.had, (when 18 years or older) voluntarily claimed and exercised rights accorded exclusively to citizens or nationals of foreign countries, such as the right to vote; or
b.had, (when 18 years old or older) applied for or used a foreign passport; or
c.is 18 years or older and has failed to return to Singapore over a continuous period of 10 years, including any period before 2 January 1986.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singaporean_nationality_law

Dual citizenship is generally not recognised in Singapore[6], but is possible under certain circumstances. Singaporean citizens who acquire citizenship of a foreign country after the age of 18 may lose Singaporean citizenship[5]. Foreigners who naturalise as Singaporean citizens are required to renounce all foreign citizenships. Minors who are dual or multiple citizens by birth on foreign soil, by descent from foreign parents or by naturalisation before the age of 18 are required to renounce all foreign citizenships by the age of 22 or may lose their Singaporean citizenship[5].

The prohibition of dual citizenship is a contentious issue in Singapore. As the economy has become more global and Singaporeans have become more mobile, many Singaporeans have acquired foreign citizenships and reluctantly renounced their Singaporean citizenship even though they may feel a strong emotional attachment to Singapore. Immigrants who have been resident in Singapore for long periods and qualify for Singaporean citizenship may be reluctant to become naturalized citizens as it would mean giving up the citizenship of their native countries. Those who are dual citizens at birth may find it unjust that they are denied their birthright to citizenship of other countries where they were born or that of their parents. Male dual citizens are also not allowed to renounce Singaporean citizenship after the age of 11 and before attaining majority at the age of 21, such that they have to serve National Service at the age of 18 for a country to whom allegiance they may almost immediately abjure.[7]

The government's rationale for not allowing dual citizenship is that Singapore is a young and vulnerable nation which cannot afford to allow its citizens multiple allegiances which may be compromised in times of national crisis. Citizens without a second citizenship may feel aggrieved if dual citizens enjoy the benefits of citizenship during periods of wealth but leave the country in trying times.[8]. Nevertheless, the government is open to the possibility of allowing dual citizenship if local and global circumstances demand so.[9]

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I think you living in the dark ages.

You can march to ICA today and produce both your passports and they will tell you it is no longer necessary to give up your singapore citizenship.

Here is an excerpt from ICA website. Notice the dual citizenship comment. Why you think dual citizenship comment exist.

List of AnswersQ1: Who is eligible to apply for a passport?
A: Only Singapore citizens are eligible to apply for a Singapore passport.

Q2: If I was born overseas and have just turned 21 years old, can I apply for a passport without taking my oath?
A: If you are holding dual citizenship and have reached 21 years old, you are required to take your oath of allegiance before your 22nd birthday. Only then can you apply for a Singapore passport.

Q3: How can I apply for a passport if I live overseas?
A: As a Singapore citizen residing overseas, you can choose to apply for your passport on-line via APPLES or you can obtain the application forms at the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission and submit your application through the Mission. Thereafter, you can pick up your passport from your desired mission.

Scroobal, are u illterate? If u are referring to Q2 as your example of dual citizenship, u have not read the whole questions properly. The question asks if u were born overseas, than whether u apply for S'pore citizenship. In other words, if u are a foreigner, whether u can apply for S'pore citizenship. The threadstarter is already a Singapore citizen, and he is applying for the citizenship of another country. Totally different. in any case, see Kiwibird's reply.

By the way, if you are so garang, go to ICA and show both your passports and see what happens to u. I know of not one S'porean who has done that.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Kiwi, yours is the definitive answer as far as I know. The last bit about the govt. being open to dual citizenship is a red herring. being open is not he same as legal aceptance.

Leemafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kiwi, yours is the definitive answer as far as I know. The last bit about the govt. being open to dual citizenship is a red herring. being open is not he same as legal aceptance.

The Sinkee citizenship is in fact a liability. True that you could go to many countries without a visa if you have a Sinkee passport but hey, what the heck. You can do that with any 1st world country passport for that matter. The most important reason for you to give up your useless pink I/C and Sinkee passport is that you could withdraw your CPF and invest it in a more profitable venture or purchase a property overseas. It does not make any sense to hold on to the Sinkee passport unless the person is filthy rich and has a lot of investments in Singapore.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Sinkee citizenship is in fact a liability. True that you could go to many countries without a visa if you have a Sinkee passport but hey, what the heck. You can do that with any 1st world country passport for that matter. The most important reason for you to give up your useless pink I/C and Sinkee passport is that you could withdraw your CPF and invest it in a more profitable venture or purchase a property overseas. It does not make any sense to hold on to the Sinkee passport unless the person is filthy rich and has a lot of investments in Singapore.

The only type of Singaporean emigrant with a foreign citizenship who NEEDS to cling on secretly to his RED PASSPORT and PINK IC are those with very little CPF savings and very little confidence in themselves and need a PLAN B (fall back plan to crawl back to S'pore in the event of failure). And they need the security of a foreign citizenship as a lifeboat in case SS SINGAPORE sinks, for that overseas PR permit on a RED PASSPORT would not afford that same level of security if SINGAPORE becomes defunct!

The SUPER RICH are internationally mobile who can apply for multiple citizenships around the world, own multiple investments/houses all over. The PINK IC and the RED PASSPORT are INSIGNIFICANT to them.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You hit the nail on its head. Having the best of both worlds - mars bar and kit kats. If you don't leave your new country, no need to hold the singapore passport. Thats why business people will never ever give it up.

It does not make any sense to hold on to the Sinkee passport unless the person is filthy rich and has a lot of investments in Singapore.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

i agree with u, that the Sinkie passport is useless when u possess another passport. That is what I am trying to communicate to the thread starter, who does not seem to grasp this. I very much doubt that the thread starter is in the filthy rich category, or else he will not be on this website askign for advice.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
You hit the nail on its head. Having the best of both worlds - mars bar and kit kats. If you don't leave your new country, no need to hold the singapore passport. Thats why business people will never ever give it up.

So, what u are saying is that the threadstarter is a "filthy rich and has lots of investments in Singapore" chap, and that's why he should hang on to both passports? U are joking right? If he was that filthy rich, he will seek his advice from high paid lawyers, and not on this forum. hence, because he does not fall into this exceedingly rich category, he should do what the last 3 posters say, give it up, the red passport is useless after u have a first world passport. How many sinkie emigrants fall under this super wealthy business people category? 0.1%? For the vast majority, there is no reason to hold on to it.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The only type of Singaporean emigrant with a foreign citizenship who NEEDS to cling on secretly to his RED PASSPORT and PINK IC are those with very little CPF savings and very little confidence in themselves and need a PLAN B (fall back plan to crawl back to S'pore in the event of failure). And they need the security of a foreign citizenship as a lifeboat in case SS SINGAPORE sinks, for that overseas PR permit on a RED PASSPORT would not afford that same level of security if SINGAPORE becomes defunct!

The SUPER RICH are internationally mobile who can apply for multiple citizenships around the world, own multiple investments/houses all over. The PINK IC and the RED PASSPORT are INSIGNIFICANT to them.

Kiwi, the filthy rich native born sinkies I know have another citizenship or passport for emergency reasons. They hold on to their sinkie citizenship for political purposes. In their business, the govt. and others may not want to do business with a non sinkie, so for appearances sake, they hold on to it. But ultimately, at the first sign of trouble, they will ciao out of here on their foreign passports. However, as u mention, this level of wealth is applicable to a very small percentage of singaporeans. By and large, the vast majority of sinkies who leave are middle class, educated, professionals, etc. For them, therefore, the benefits of holding on to the red passport are not there.

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your saying is, the friends is the another reason tied him down :confused:, then the thread-starter has fuck-up IQ. :rolleyes:

Simple as that.:eek:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its not the threadstarter that said that. I said that many people could not migrate because of family ties and close friends. I suppose the later is not much of a reason. I have heard people especially the elderly and spouses feel lonely in a new place as they might it hard to make friends. The biggest pull factor is family.

Your saying is, the friends is the another reason tied him down :confused:, then the thread-starter has fuck-up IQ. :rolleyes:

Simple as that.:eek:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the point that the threadstarter was making is if you have choice of holding on to both a Mars bar and Kit Kat, why give one up. Once you have received an OZ citizenship, holding on to a Singapore citizenship does not require you do anything extra. In fact, as other have pointed out in their posts, sometimes entry in a certain country using the Singapore passpost will not require a visa and vice versa.

This thread has nothing do with which country is better. It more on best of both worlds. Having your cake and eating it.

ps. now that I have mentioned food, is Ming Palace still around?

Ming Palace in Adelaide? near the Bob Jane T-mart? Should still be around. I frequent Grote St more.

I was told that Singapore passport applicant will be asked if they are holding another passport. Has anyone heard anything about that?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, thats the one. Whats the best place for Chinese in Adelaide. Need to have another place in mind for next wine trip to Barossa.

The practice in ICA, will be on a personal to holder basis. Got to present your self and questions will be asked. If you are not a questionable a character, you will get renewal.

Anyone here with first hand experience.

Ming Palace in Adelaide? near the Bob Jane T-mart? Should still be around. I frequent Grote St more.

I was told that Singapore passport applicant will be asked if they are holding another passport. Has anyone heard anything about that?

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
The government's rationale for not allowing dual citizenship is that Singapore is a young and vulnerable nation which cannot afford to allow its citizens multiple allegiances which may be compromised in times of national crisis. Citizens without a second citizenship may feel aggrieved if dual citizens enjoy the benefits of citizenship during periods of wealth but leave the country in trying times.[8]. Nevertheless, the government is open to the possibility of allowing dual citizenship if local and global circumstances demand so.[9]

This issue was revisited about 2 years ago ...no decision reached. Apparently the sticking point is the Malaysian PRs in Singapore. They form the largest group of PRs but there are huge political, economic and social implications if they are permitted to hold dual citizenship. Go figure...

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, thats the one. Whats the best place for Chinese in Adelaide. Need to have another place in mind for next wine trip to Barossa.

The practice in ICA, will be on a personal to holder basis. Got to present your self and questions will be asked. If you are not a questionable a character, you will get renewal.

Anyone here with first hand experience.

If you like teochew food, there is one along the small lane (alley) off Gougar St. If you walk along Gouger, you will come across the Chinatown Gateway with a HK oriental shop on the right. Walk into the lane and the restaurant is on the left. I use this lane often in the past for shortcut to the Hilton hotel.

Or you can always try Citi Zen Chinese Restaurant along King William St

Nuri is a nice place. I like to drive up the hill lookout over the Baraso valley.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Bro. Will check it out.

If you like teochew food, there is one along the small lane (alley) off Gougar St. If you walk along Gouger, you will come across the Chinatown Gateway with a HK oriental shop on the right. Walk into the lane and the restaurant is on the left. I use this lane often in the past for shortcut to the Hilton hotel.

Or you can always try Citi Zen Chinese Restaurant along King William St

Nuri is a nice place. I like to drive up the hill lookout over the Baraso valley.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think you are spot on here...i know of many top PAP toadies who have been holding onto Oz, Canadian, NZ and UK PR for donkey years now...goes all the way back to the 60s and became more and more prevalent in the 70s, 80s and beyond...heck even harry's own spawn wanted to emigrate at one point...the local elites, rich and upper middle classes generally have an escape plan out of singapore should the need ever arise...but i think this would generally apply to the same classes in any society...basic human survival instinct, the survival of the fittest...
Kiwi, the filthy rich native born sinkies I know have another citizenship or passport for emergency reasons. They hold on to their sinkie citizenship for political purposes. In their business, the govt. and others may not want to do business with a non sinkie, so for appearances sake, they hold on to it. But ultimately, at the first sign of trouble, they will ciao out of here on their foreign passports. However, as u mention, this level of wealth is applicable to a very small percentage of singaporeans. By and large, the vast majority of sinkies who leave are middle class, educated, professionals, etc. For them, therefore, the benefits of holding on to the red passport are not there.