• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Penalty for acquiring another passport

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why give away something for nothing. Especially if you have completed all state obligations including NS.

The other notion one must remember is that this country does not belong to PAP or the old man. Something many tend to forget.

motuiti,

i don't get it, why do you still want to hold on to SG passport? got gold is it?

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
There can be lots of reasons. Like

(1) Keeping options open
(2) Owning (or being able to inherit) landed property in SG
(3) Visa free travel to certain countries (eg PRC)

AFAIC,

you have gotten the best option available by acquiring another passport.

What's so great about SG? it's full of liabilities. NS included. Not to mention the hundred & thousands of new migrants....

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why give away something for nothing. Especially if you have completed all state obligations including NS.

The other notion one must remember is that this country does not belong to PAP or the old man. Something many tend to forget.

of course SG don't belong to PAP but you know what?

SG & the PAP is what it is today because we allow them to be. If you're naive to think that under another govt, SG will be a better place to live it, then you're being naive. You really think that under another govt, we can liberalise our CPF monies? that our NS liabilities will be lessened, that the over liberalised immigration plans will be reversed?

who ever that inherit SG from the PAP will be in the same shit, if not deeper shit than the PAP cos whatever chance for SG to make it the next 50 yrs have been squandered.

It's the people that makes the country, not LKY, PAP. Many don't realised that we are leaving or left is due to the people in SG.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SG & the PAP is what it is today because we allow them to be. If you're naive to think that under another govt, SG will be a better place to live it, then you're being naive. You really think that under another govt, we can liberalise our CPF monies? that our NS liabilities will be lessened, that the over liberalised immigration plans will be reversed?

who ever that inherit SG from the PAP will be in the same shit, if not deeper shit than the PAP cos whatever chance for SG to make it the next 50 yrs have been squandered.

It's the people that makes the country, not LKY, PAP. Many don't realised that we are leaving or left is due to the people in SG.

and we all know how sg works. it's simply too idealistic and naive to think that no country on this planet belongs to one person or any one government. tell that to fidel castrato, kim jong very ill or aminoacidjug. even if these despots were to die, someone else will take over their place, and the countries will be business as usual. unless there's a coup or a revolution, sg currently has a regime in place that will continue to dominate and rule. if they run the place, anyone who visits or lives there will have to play by their rules. it's extremely stupid to say that sg doesn't belong to them, and thus one can break their rules and challenge them in court. it's so easy to say, but when push comes to shove, only a handful of men and women dare to do it, and they are definitely not the pretensive instigator here who eggs people on but are too chickenshit to actually do it. at least for some of us, we actually hedged our bets, got our butts moving, and made the effort to create sanctuaries outside of sg. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do have hope bro. One day, things will turn for the better.

What surprises me is the fear despite migrating that ex-singaporeans have. This thread is to dispel that fear. Imagine giving up citizenship on the mistaken notion that it is illegal to hold dual citizenship.

Till today people cannot decipher the "does not encourage dual citizenship" phrase that the PAP uses every now then when something along this line is raised in public.

The old SBF started in Aug 1999 and till today, no one can tell me which law of the land prohibits dual citizenship. They keep quoting their grandma and god knows who.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
does not encourage dual citizenship

"does not encourage dual citizenship" and "may" not "shall"
There lies the ambiguity which indicates that dual citizenship is not illegal, but I believe that as long as an individual is not a threat to the State (and I assume to the PAP and the govt.), the govt has no desire to prohibit an individual from acquiring dual citizenship, more so if the individual has completed his full-time NS obligations.

What surprises me is the fear despite migrating that ex-singaporeans have. This thread is to dispel that fear. Imagine giving up citizenship on the mistaken notion that it is illegal to hold dual citizenship.

Till today people cannot decipher the "does not encourage dual citizenship" phrase that the PAP uses every now then when something along this line is raised in public.

The old SBF started in Aug 1999 and till today, no one can tell me which law of the land prohibits dual citizenship. They keep quoting their grandma and god knows who.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal

i think you are giving too much credit to the "fear" part.

I think those who want to ever see their CPF monies will give up their passport. those who are still holding on to it "to keep their options" open haven't wake up yet.

maybe i didn't make myself clear enough. For me & wife the reason that we are leaving is we simply can't stand the 3rd world attitudes that many sinkies have anymore. What's the whole point of having a 1st world infrastructure when majority of the population continues to behaviour in a 3rd world manner?

and all these talk about being civic minded, socially responsible, after a while it takes a toll on your spirits, cos you realise that by being civic minded & socially responsible gets you no where and it's not being appreciated.

this is not the place & environment where i want to my children to grow up in

AhSo1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: does not encourage dual citizenship

"does not encourage dual citizenship" and "may" not "shall"
There lies the ambiguity which indicates that dual citizenship is not illegal, but I believe that as long as an individual is not a threat to the State (and I assume to the PAP and the govt.), the govt has no desire to prohibit an individual from acquiring dual citizenship, more so if the individual has completed his full-time NS obligations.

If you wish to follow the letter of the law dual nationality is illegal if you are over 21 in Singapore.

But sometimes the law is applied to people differently. I and my colleagues are fascinated by nationality law and its precedent. Take the case of Mr Arnold Schwarztenegger, Governor of California, for example. He is of course an Austrian Citizen and an American one as well. But what is curious is how Austria DOES NOT allow or recognize dual nationality yet there is one known case. He seems to be the only Austrian who holds dual nationality status. When the Austrian Government has been questioned as to how or why he has been able to retain his Austrian Nationality, the Austrian Government has remained silent.

Singapore, certainly has its share of illegal duals but this case brings to life the true applicability of it. Austria will never strip their national hero of his citizenship, but would Singapore strip say - our Singaporean version of "Arnie" (It is indeed sad that I cant think of anyone) ??

Ah the murky world of nationality law.

Last edited:

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: does not encourage dual citizenship

If you wish to follow the letter of the law dual nationality is illegal if you are over 21 in Singapore.

But sometimes the law is applied to people differently. I and my colleagues are fascinated by nationality law and its precedent. Take the case of Mr Arnold Schwarztenegger, Governor of California, for example. He is of course an Austrian Citizen and an American one as well. But what is curious is how Austria DOES NOT allow or recognize dual nationality yet there is one known case. He seems to be the only Austrian who holds dual nationality status. When the Austrian Government has been questioned as to how or why he has been able to retain his Austrian Nationality, the Austrian Government has remained silent.

Singapore, certainly has its share of illegal duals but this case brings to life the true applicability of it. Austria will never strip their national hero of his citizenship, but would Singapore strip say - our Singaporean version of "Arnie" (It is indeed sad that I cant think of anyone) ??

Ah the murky world of nationality law.

I think there are two versions of nationality laws for countries that do not permit dual citizenship.

One is like Australia's old nationality law, that states something like Australian citizens who naturalize lose their Australian citizenship even if the Australian government does not know about it.

The other kind is Singapore's (and Malaysia's), where dual citizenship is not technically illegal, but having it allows the government to revoke your SG citizenship. (i.e acquiring another citizenship does not lead to automatic loss of citizenship - it still needs to be officially revoked, which legally gives the government room for discretion or selective enforcement).

Maybe Austria's law is more like Singapore's ...

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's very good if you are a seller like yourself, but for those wishing to buy its terrible. Australia now has some of the most expensive property in the world. Its also not good for your economy as now the cost of everything to support your local economy will rise in tandem as local workers need more just to service mortgages and rents. The costs will just be passed onto you. Its very nice to have equity 3-5X what you paid, but it wont do you much good unless you can put it to good use and escape the inflation associated with it. Notice how much you food prices have gone up.

One thing is for sure, your prices wont come down because housing stock is limited in Australia/NZ.

Australia now has some of the most expensive property in the world. :biggrin:

Geez ... you sound more like "Bernie Mac". Whatever happen to your cheap USA reiterate?

Everything has to be relative. Look at the money supply in the world today. No developed country is getting out of jail free. The record flow of money going into emerging markets is fueling the asset bubbles in the recipient countries.

The parties who will gain from all these are the govt, banks and the rich.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think you are giving too much credit to the "fear" part.

I think those who want to ever see their CPF monies will give up their passport. those who are still holding on to it "to keep their options" open haven't wake up yet.

maybe i didn't make myself clear enough. For me & wife the reason that we are leaving is we simply can't stand the 3rd world attitudes that many sinkies have anymore. What's the whole point of having a 1st world infrastructure when majority of the population continues to behaviour in a 3rd world manner?

and all these talk about being civic minded, socially responsible, after a while it takes a toll on your spirits, cos you realise that by being civic minded & socially responsible gets you no where and it's not being appreciated.

this is not the place & environment where i want to my children to grow up in

1. Are there any industries left in Singapore? What are the bright spots?
2. Is the govt keeping official interest rate at 0.1%? Is savings rates higher than inflation?
3. What is the make-up of the Singapore people? How many are borned overseas? How many are entrepreneurs?

How deep is the Singapore economic recession?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing is for sure, your prices wont come down because housing stock is limited in Australia/NZ.

Haha.. now you've realised why I choose to put all my life savings in Australia despite the high prices.. It all about "demand and supply".. we have shortage of housing stock and influx of migrants keep coming in.. Yahhhooo ! In 90days, I'll settle another ppty in Mel 1/4 acre east of Mel at a 20% discount. KNN, I own the bank 1.6mil now... .

Last edited:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha.. now you've realised why I choose to put all my life savings in Australia despite the high prices.. It all about "demand and supply".. we have shortage of housing stock and influx of migrants keep coming in.. Yahhhooo ! In 90days, I'll settle another ppty in Mel 1/4 acre east of Mel at a 20% discount. KNN, I own the bank 1.6mil now... .

You know, when it comes to idiots, you really take the cake. How much have you lost on the brisbane property since you purchased at the peak? You think we dont remember your boasts two years ago and silence since the market has collapsed? How stupid do you feel for buying at the worse time possible? Has the bank served you with demand papers to pay up?

If you were smart, you would be like these Australians, but you are an idiot.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/article1005240.ece

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know, when it comes to idiots, you really take the cake. How much have you lost on the brisbane property since you purchased at the peak? You think we dont remember your boasts two years ago and silence since the market has collapsed? How stupid do you feel for buying at the worse time possible? Has the bank served you with demand papers to pay up?

If you were smart, you would be like these Australians, but you are an idiot.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/realestate/article1005240.ece

Where on earth you have seen Australia market collapsed ? They dont call us "Lucky Country" for nothing :wink:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Where on earth you have seen Australia market collapsed ? They dont call us "Lucky Country" for nothing :wink:

Axe168,

My thoughts.

So far, only Perth property prices are stagnant in Australia. Even then, it really depends on which suburbs you buy in.

If you buy in a lousy location, you need a miracle boom to lift the property price, if you buy in a good location, the price will always remain stable. there is always money to be made. Of course, the purchase price must be measured against what you can get in the rental market.

So far, in the past 30 years, Aus property is consistently increasing in price.

Now that US Fed is printing money like a mad banker and exporting inflation all over the world, the $1 is not worth $1 tomorrow. So, how do you store wealth - in property, oil and commodities.

Aussie Prick is just trying to fool you :biggrin:
20% price fall. That kind of news will sell newspapers.
Just like today's WA newspaper headlines. "House prices in the rise again" We have to read carefully, because it is not quite true for mainstream properties.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tell that to the newspapers.

-20% is not a crash? On avg -150k per median house.

Ouch!

The American property prices are not as low as I imagine. No thanks to Ouch Ouch US Property Tax. $800k house with a $15k annual tax. Ouch.

I thought that with the US housing stock surplus, renting Americans will grab all the "cheap" properties. But Ouch the average American still cannot afford the property Ouch. Aussies are buying up London and US properties.

Oh dear ... Aussie Prick. What have you got to say!

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
The American property prices are not as low as I imagine. No thanks to Ouch Ouch US Property Tax. $800k house with a $15k annual tax. Ouch.

I thought that with the US housing stock surplus, renting Americans will grab all the "cheap" properties. But Ouch the average American still cannot afford the property Ouch. Aussies are buying up London and US properties.

Oh dear ... Aussie Prick. What have you got to say!

I am so happy you brought this up, sorry to make you look so bad:

Australia Property taxes: Stamp duty 4-6% of House Price (500,000 house = A$30,000 (OUCH!), 800,000 house = A$48,000(OUCH OUCH)) ------ USA NO STAMP DUTY

Australia council rates : CIV 500K house = A$1500 per year (OUCH!) ------- USA NO COUNCIL RATES

----Australia also much higher electricity and water charges than USA (MORE OUCH!)------

USA 650,000 House in San Francisco, CA property tax = US$ 5000 per year and fully tax deductable off income tax -----NOT IN AUSTRALIA

http://www.sanmateocountytaxcollector.org/SMCWPS/pages/secureSearch.jsp

USA mortagage Interest tax deduction for primary house 1098 ----CANNOT IN AUSTRALIA (EVEN MORE OUCH OUCH!!!)

USA HOUSE COST = 1/3 of AUSTRALIA HOUSE COST