• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP MPs and Office Holders' spoken english is Appalling!

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would say most of the younger PAP leaders speaks well. But since they are junior members, its not often that you hear them speak in Parliament.

However since English has been adopted as the first language, i believe that it would be good that all MPs speak the same language as much as possible. Of coz there are translators but it would reduce the essence of Parliament for direct communication between the MPs.

Just imagine if majority Chinese/Malay/Indian MPs decide to speak in their own language - there will be a feeling of racial divide.

Well, we are a pluralistic society; we cannot force them to speak in a language that they are very weak in. Imagine asking a MP who's well versed in hokkien and chinese to speak in international english; it wouldn't work as well.

That's why national TV has subtitles; in other countries, in a live audience, there will always be headphones for people who are not english speaking- say headphones for older Spanish-Americans who can't speak english- and a translator. So there are many other ways to reduce the feeling of a divide, and to perhaps bridge the gap.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, we are a pluralistic society; we cannot force them to speak in a language that they are very weak in. Imagine asking a MP who's well versed in hokkien and chinese to speak in international english; it wouldn't work as well.

That's why national TV has subtitles; in other countries, in a live audience, there will always be headphones for people who are not english speaking- say headphones for older Spanish-Americans who can't speak english- and a translator. So there are many other ways to reduce the feeling of a divide, and to perhaps bridge the gap.

True we are a pluralistic society but sometimes the social fabric can be rather fragile. I do not believe that our society has matured enough to go beyond certain racial issues. I do not think that you can deny this fact considering the racial slurs that constantly occur even within the forum itself where anonymity has provided sufficient cover for people to say what they actually feel.

jw5

Loyal
Yes, I meant him. Unfortunately, his speech sounded so much like an old rusty engine grating away that I did not bother with his grammar. You are probably right. Perhaps I should try to listen to his next speech.
Don't bother. I won't be listening to any more of his speeches either. :smile:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
LHL speaks good english.. but he tell bloody lousy jokes..:biggrin:

his jokes are so bad that you just had to laugh at it for not being funny..

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
LHL speaks good english.. but he tell bloody lousy jokes..:biggrin:

his jokes are so bad that you just had to laugh at it for not being funny..

You should also hear GCT. His jokes are so corny and the best part of it all is, he doesn't realise that people are laughing at him and not his jokes.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What has good spoken English got to do with governing the country well? If so, then the newsreaders should become kings, queens, presidents, prime ministers and ministers. Just like what has good spoken Mandarin got to do with ruling the PRC or even ROC? Listened to Hu Jintao or Chen Shuibian before? None of their pronunciation fit into any Chinese dictionary defintion of of standard pronunciation of the language.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup Ah Lim's diction is also really appalling and to think he is a ministar no less yikes:eek:
You should include the union chief. Every time he speaks I feel as though I am having my tooth pulled, and the best part of it all, he claims his whole family speaks "English" at home. I wonder.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello it is perhap ok to speak like that at grassroots level, but even then I do not approve, I mean look at LKY, he always speaks polished english without the ang moh accent. If you are not comfortable speaking in English then by all means speak in the other official languages, I mean this is parliament not a pasar malam.

They speak like that to be closer to the people on the ground.
Most Singaporeans speak like that.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ironically this was not the case with the old PAP guard save for those educated in chinese schools, because during that period locals were taught English by English natives and those trained by English natives. Standard of both spoken and written english was much higher than it is now.

I think our Singaporean command of english, in terms of dictation, spelling and vocab, will have to improve. After all, even the latest generation of the PAP followers were educated locally, before they flew overseas to study.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ironically this was not the case with the old PAP guard save for those educated in chinese schools, because during that period locals were taught English by English natives and those trained by English natives. Standard of both spoken and written english was much higher than it is now.

Because maybe those whom were english educated, were taught in a time when there were more British english teachers, than locals. Now local English teachers, while on average are better than many in Asia, are still not at the level of the angmoh teachers who speak, or dictate in better quality english.

Even I can type relatively well myself, but my dictation is really still not up to scratch. As it is, when I'm in Oz, I don't compare myself to fellow Asians; I compare my standards to the white angmohs over here instead, and I find myself still not up to their levels.

twochan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good speaking ability is an essential skill of a good politician. Although it's not the only skill. You don't have to do a lot of negotiating and deal making if you're a newsreader. Hell, being a investigative journalist is a lot tougher than a newsreader... A newsreader just... reads. And looks pretty.

But what we've got here is a newsreader that looks ugly (but think she's pretty), talks like shit (but think her ang moh accent is cool).

man... give me a break...

What has good spoken English got to do with governing the country well? If so, then the newsreaders should become kings, queens, presidents, prime ministers and ministers. Just like what has good spoken Mandarin got to do with ruling the PRC or even ROC? Listened to Hu Jintao or Chen Shuibian before? None of their pronunciation fit into any Chinese dictionary defintion of of standard pronunciation of the language.

jw5

Loyal
Hello it is perhap ok to speak like that at grassroots level, but even then I do not approve, I mean look at LKY, he always speaks polished english without the ang moh accent. If you are not comfortable speaking in English then by all means speak in the other official languages, I mean this is parliament not a pasar malam.
Are you able to detect sarcasm?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because maybe those whom were english educated, were taught in a time when there were more British english teachers, than locals. Now local English teachers, while on average are better than many in Asia, are still not at the level of the angmoh teachers who speak, or dictate in better quality english.

Even I can type relatively well myself, but my dictation is really still not up to scratch. As it is, when I'm in Oz, I don't compare myself to fellow Asians; I compare my standards to the white angmohs over here instead, and I find myself still not up to their levels.

this is an example of appalling english.