• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP in Town Council Scandal

Pioneer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Town council spat puts spotlight on PAP

AHTC-jpg_042237.jpg

Aljunied-Hougang Town Council explains its performance. (Yahoo! photo)

Questions are being raised over how computer and financial systems of an opposition-run town council were placed under the control of a little-known firm linked to the ruling party.

In a post in his blog Yawning Bread on Friday, Alex Au said the issue “has the potential to be a big story, causing enormous damage to the People’s Action Party (PAP)”.

Controversy first erupted earlier this month when the Ministry of National Development (MND) released its latest town council management report, singling out the Aljunied-Hougang Town Council (AHTC) with a “red” rating for its handling of service and conservancy charge (S&CC) arrears.

The council was not rated for its corporate governance due to its lateness in submitting its auditor’s management letter “material to the banding of the corporate governance indicator”, the ministry said.

WP’s response

Responding to the report, AHTC chair Sylvia Lim, who is also chairman of the Workers’ Party, noted the fact that the town council’s audit took longer than expected because of its need to develop a new computer and financial system from scratch.

In a statement released on 14 December, the same day the town council management review was published, she explained that as her party was taking over the town council in the wake of the their success at last year’s election, it was informed that its existing computer and financial systems would be terminated from 1 August 2011, “due to material changes to the membership of the Town Council”.

She pointed out also that the systems, having been developed collectively by the 14 PAP town councils over a period of more than 15 months, were in January last year sold to a company called M/s Action Information Management Pte Ltd (AIM).

The town councils then leased the systems back from AIM, paying the company fees every month for the usage of the computer systems — and a report from online socio-political site TR Emeritus said these payments would have to come from the S&CC paid by residents.

When the sale and lease-back occurred, AIM was empowered by its prevailing service agreement to terminate the systems contract with any of the town councils within a single month’s notice in the event of a “material change” to its composition, which is what happened with AHTC.

Given the circumstances, Lim said in comparison to the “more than 15 months” that the 14 town councils spent collectively developing a finance and computer system, the AHTC was left with a two-month timeframe to develop its own equivalent systems.

Describing it as a “near-impossible task”, Lim said her town council had to prioritise the development of its financial system into phases, resulting in a delay for its audit.

Firm's directors

Details about AIM and its make-up then came to the fore. Lim noted in her statement that the company was in fact a dormant one. TR Emeritus reported that AIM had been operating out of an office which allegedly shares its address with more than 1,000 other businesses, apart from the actual company that operates from that address — one KCS Corporate Services Pte Ltd.

Further, a second report from the alternative news website noted its discovery that AIM consisted of just three people, all of whom were former PAP Members of Parliament — its chairman, S Chandra Das, and directors Lau Ping Sum and Chew Heng Ching.

The company had a total paid-up capital of just $2, with $1 held in shares by Chandra Das, and the other $1 owned by Lau, according to the report showing the firm's business filing with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority.

“As (Lim) pointed out, the questions have to be: Why did the PAP Town Councils relinquish ownership of the computer and financial system, and how much did they sell it to AIM for?” asked Au. “It was probably developed with taxpayer money by the 14 town councils, with much input and support from taxpayer-paid town council staff, unless — and it is hard to believe — the PAP paid for the development of the system.”

Terms used in contract

Another issue that was raised involved the nature of the contract signed when the town councils collectively sold the computer systems to AIM, allowing the firm to terminate the contract with just a month’s notice “should there be a material change to the composition of the town council”.

Chandra Das later responded a few days later in a letter saying that if the AHTC had sought a longer extension of the contract (beyond 9 September 2011), AIM would have agreed to it, but pointed out that the town council had not sought a further extension.

In reply, Lim said the first extension was obtained through a party who “fought for” it on their behalf.

“We were certainly not given to understand that there could be any extension after this,” she said. The second extension was given to the previous town council’s managing agent, which needed time to audit some of its processes, Lim added.

“As (Lim) asked: ‘How is it in the public interest to have such a thing (the contract terms)?’” wrote Au.

“What price was it sold to AIM for? How was that price arrived at? Was there competitive tendering?” he asked in succession.

Au added further the questions of how acting for partisan advantage is in the best interest of the residents of the constituency, as well as whether or not the priority should be to ensure that the systems in the town councils continue accordingly.

He also argued that if the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau and Attorney-General’s Chambers are independent institutions, “we should expect them to mount an investigation immediately”.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP silence on this matter is deafening. Normally if PAP has a case, they would have come out with guns blazing.

eremarf

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP has too many skeletons in the closet from their years of impunity and lack of public scrutiny. This isn't the first and won't be the last time we see how unreasonable they have been. I mean - look at how the PA has become a political appendage of the party (in spite of being taxpayer funded).

If I were living outside of Aljunied GRC I would go to MPS and grill my MP about this issue. I would demand accountability from them.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP has too many skeletons in the closet from their years of impunity and lack of public scrutiny. This isn't the first and won't be the last time we see how unreasonable they have been. I mean - look at how the PA has become a political appendage of the party (in spite of being taxpayer funded).

If I were living outside of Aljunied GRC I would go to MPS and grill my MP about this issue. I would demand accountability from them.

I told you. More is coming. It is almost time............

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal
When one has absolute power, it not only corrupts but after a while, they don't even bother about proper cover up. This is arrogance at its best and hope more will show up.

They want to embarrass WP with its Town Council Management Report but karma is a bitch and hs now come back to bite the authors in their butt

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
My idol kukubird used to say, If they dont sue or rebut, that means the WP is on valid ground to question the PAP for cheating the pple like kukubird.

But I wonder why pple like kukubird never hold the PAP to account - they just kept quiet and attack the Opp. Now we know the kukubird is a PAP IB troll.

PAP silence on this matter is deafening. Normally if PAP has a case, they would have come out with guns blazing.

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
My idol kukubird used to say, If they dont sue or rebut, that means the WP is on valid ground to question the PAP for cheating the pple like kukubird.

But I wonder why pple like kukubird never hold the PAP to account - they just kept quiet and attack the Opp. Now we know the kukubird is a PAP IB troll.
hahaha...son, i thought u learned well but really disappointed that u still cannot kicked the habit of anyhow humtum....
pse read the posts of your idol's idol and stop contradicting HIM.....that is my job....lol.
The party that should sue is WP not papee.
scroobal said:
None of the directors are earning money from this. They are Party elders and are performing custodial / escrow service for the PAP. They do not want the opposition to benefit from their intellectual property and therefore did the transfer. This is quite common in the corporate world when assets or parts of the business is sold. CPIB won't find anything.

Nothing criminal but........

Last edited:

Picardo

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is too well-known that if a sample of humans were to be confined for a period of time in a room say filled with the stench of faecal excrement, there will come a point when no stench is apparent to them. And thay may argue vehemently that there's no stench at all. For the senses would have come to be adapted to the environment. Only those outside the room will be able to distinguish the difference.

When one has absolute power, it not only corrupts but after a while, they don't even bother about proper cover up. This is arrogance at its best and hope more will show up.

They want to embarrass WP with its Town Council Management Report but karma is a bitch and hs now come back to bite the authors in their butt

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP has run out of ideas and answers. I remember old man preaching about american pork barrel politics, the need to ban gambling, why motor-racing has to go, and the list goes on. After the 1991 lost of 3 seats, pork barrel became one of two main planks besides the extension of GRC seats to counter the rise tide of resentment and distrust. No upgrade if your do not vote for us became their slogan henceforth. Singaporeans no longer gave them an open cheque book. Look at the Choo Wee Khiang debacle. They still dare to offer his nephew despite the fact the convicted arsehole was going to court again on a fresh charge.

You only have to see their supporters in this forum - spinning their wheels trying to get a modicum of purchase of any argument and failing miserably.

The IT system change of ownership though legal is now a PR nightmare. One would have thought that after the suicide of his son, Lau Ping Sum would have understood the meaning of karma and would have avoided this kind of crass and low class move to cripple the Aljunied Town Council. The money came from the residents. Not a penny to build and maintain the IT system was paid for by the PAP or the Government. Thought the power rest with the Town Council while under PAP to run most day to day things, it must be done with the customer in mind in this case the residents.

We send people to jail for stealing bread from a supermarket but there is no law to prosecute anyway that cripples an important infrastructure of a Town Council that was paid for by the residents.

Honestly if Chew, Lau and Das would ask their families if this sort of action is kosher, what would their families reply in return. This is not part of cut throat politics. This to me is a criminal (in spirit and not in law at the moment) conspiracy to cripple the running of a Town Council. The Town Council has been taken over by a legitimate representatives who were elected based on the written law of the land.

The PAP always screams for the right of reply when external parties drag them thru coals of oppressive practices allegations. The right of reply is a fair point but fairness is not a selective proposition based on the reading of the weather. Its a principle.

The Prime Minister should take his new code of prudence and shaft in a place where the sun never shines. As it is no use to anyone. His apology is now hollow as this was done within days of his offer of apology. Another item to put it in the same place as the code.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can guarantee you if the shoe was on the foot, all the MPs from WP after their defeat would charged with a series of offences, hauled to court, their lives ruined and laws would come in double quick time to make it clear.

I still think that it makes sense to sue the 3 directors of AIM. They might not win but it protect the residents from all over Singapore from this sort of shennigans are involve. And the publicity would be sensational. This is one of those things that fall into the "Bo Swee" category where even an Ah Pek living in a one room flat would grasp readily.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one of those things that fall into the "Bo Swee" category where even an Ah Pek living in a one room flat would grasp readily.
WP has shown once again their instinctive touch to highlight issues that man on the street can instantly understand. Aljunied town council should sue the former MPs if CPIB does not act.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
CPIB cannot act as this not about making money. I can guarantee that this is no sweet heart deal nor anyone is going to make money. The 3 guardian angels are doing it for free. The intention is to cripple the town council - mini version of a scorched earth policy. A dog in a manger attitude of a poor loser. You see this in little children who will smash a toy if they are asked to loan it to another child or to share.

The trouble is that this toy was paid for by the residents.

WP has shown once again their instinctive touch to highlight issues that man on the street can instantly understand. Aljunied town council should sue the former MPs if CPIB does not act.

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
CPIB cannot act as this not about making money. I can guarantee that this is no sweet heart deal nor anyone is going to make money. The 3 guardian angels are doing it for free. The intention is to cripple the town council - mini version of a scorched earth policy. A dog in a manger attitude of a poor loser. You see this in little children who will smash a toy if they are asked to loan it to another child or to share.

So is Aljunied TC suing the right way ahead, or you need a cleaning auntie for that?
Or perhaps the negative publicity is "punishment" enough?

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How can one claim it is not about making money? It is profit oriented organization that bought over a taxpayer paid software where the price of its sales needs to be known as well as the flow of the proceeds back to the taxpayers. So are we saying that it is leased back to the town councils for free? What are the safeguards to ensure that the company does not screw taxpayers by refusing to debug the software or upgrade it? What happens when experts are outsourced to look into the software bugs? What is the pricing and how does the money flow. Remember, being an MP or an ex-MP does not mean they are beyond corruption and moral reproach. We have had MPs who were caught stealing while serving as well as currently one ex-MP caught for criminal acts. The DPM has said that there is no foolproof way of assuring MPs of perfect character. So what point is it in suing a 2 dollar company?

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The IT system change of ownership though legal is now a PR nightmare.

I think the questions we need to ask are whether:

1) Did AIM paid a fair value for the System?
2) Similarly, is the fee and terms for the lease-back fair?
3) Who does the servicing & maintenance for the System? Is it AIM or the TCs?

The System was originally developed by the TCs and one would assume that the expenses incurred for the development were paid by them. Is this not public fund? And if it is, and the System was sold to AIM below the fair value, how can it not be illegal? Is it not akin to siphoning of public fund?

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal

There should be an angle that CPIB can't ignore. This software was an asset of aljunied town council, but was gifted to AIM, and in a contract that prejudiced the town council. Did AIM directors promise to indirectly benefit PAP with the profits earned in selling services using this software? The former guardians of aljunied town council ought to answer to CPIB on why they agree to this free transfer that harms the town council, because prima facie there is corruption.

On another related issue. All 14 GRCs are involved, and every GRC is headed by a minister. The entire cabinet is tainted. WP can even call for no confidence vote in parliament on the entire cabinet to blow up this issue.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The AIM people may be brainstorming and preparing a statment to the press soon that they are innocent and above board.They will behave like a child caught with the hand in the candy jar and will argue that he is checking to ensure the candy is still intact inside the jar !
What is the Fair Value of the sofware package (developed and paid by taxpayers' money) sold by the PAP Town Councils to AIM ?
What is the leasing fee charged by AIM to the PAP Town Councils ?
This incident smacks of creative accounting and conflict of interests.
Their arrogant and fark care attitude displays their sheer disregard for the laws of the Republic of Singapore and having the belief that even if they are caught with their pants down ,they will not be punished,they will not be reprimanded,the PAP ministers will defend them,the MSM will defend them.....etc.
Yes,even if they are not punished,we want to let the whole world know about this malicious intent of the PAP to sabotage Opposition Town Councils.
Who is the one always talking about unity of Singapore after all we are all Singaporeans despite difference in opinions ? Who is the one breaking up the country ? Who is the hypocrite ?

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who is the one always talking about unity of Singapore after all we are all Singaporeans despite difference in opinions ? Who is the one breaking up the country ? Who is the hypocrite ?
LKY is not a hypocrite. He already alluded to this a decade ago. On the other hand, his son is the ultimate smiling tiger.