• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Opposition, please wake up!

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP has ruled Singapore uninterruptedly for more than four decades.

They controlled every sector of Singapore's economy and administration. All government and semi-government bodies ultimately report up the food chain which is controlled by a minister. And all ministers are from the PAP.

Yet, with so much command and control, they still feel the need to go out and approach the voters - on the voters' ground.

Soft-sell, hard-sell, you name it and you are likely to find the PAP doing it.

Dr Teo of the "you should be thankful" fame appears to have a blog as well as facebook. Other PAP ministers also reach out to voters - showing a human and humane face that wants to engage them and tell them of their value.

Now consider it: if the PAP needs to do this, after so many years of effectively absolute control, what makes the Opposition think they do not need to do so?

What makes the Opposition think that they do not need to reach out to the voters, engage them, show them their humanity - in order to get the votes they want?

jw5

Loyal
The opposition do need to reach out to the voters, and they need to start now.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The opposition do need to reach out to the voters, and they need to start now.

What do you mean need to start now? I can't speak for other parties, but the WP has outreach on a weekly basis for years, each week covering two to three areas all over Singapore. This is main party activity on top of other area committee walkabouts and house visit activities, which of course can't be as frequent for the simple reason of having less manpower and resources. Party members and volunteer helpers need to work and feed their families too. They simply can't be doing this on a daily basis, if that's what you mean or expect.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
er, many are still refering to the 147th for information. so dun be surprised if they think the other politcal parties are sitting on their bum & doing nothing.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's the people who need to wake up, and you can start there.

I think we must be crazy to give 95% parliamentary seats to PAP GE after GE, give them absolute power to do anything they wanted.

Why do we need oppositions if they are no good? opposition are in parliament for the purpose of opposing the ruling govt, checks and balances. We must have oppositions just for the sake of it. I could go on and on but no point.

PAP theory of wanting every seats in parliament after winning 50% walkover seats on nomination day never convinced me. I never understand why the rest of the voters would give GE after GE landslide majority votes to PAP after they won 50% or more of parliament on nomination day.

Wisely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we must be crazy to give 95% parliamentary seats to PAP GE after GE, give them absolute power to do anything they wanted.

Why do we need oppositions if they are no good? opposition are in parliament for the purpose of opposing the ruling govt, checks and balances. We must have oppositions just for the sake of it. I could go on and on but no point.

PAP theory of wanting every seats in parliament after winning 50% walkover seats on nomination day never convinced me. I never understand why the rest of the voters would give GE after GE landslide majority votes to PAP after they won 50% or more of parliament on nomination day.

PAP wanting every seat is not wrong. I'm sure WP/SPP are aiming to win all their seats they fight for. It's voters who should not be giving either one side every thing.

We can have stupid politicians, but voters have to be the smartest.

That's why Kakowi needs to wake up first.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
What do you mean need to start now? I can't speak for other parties, but the WP has outreach on a weekly basis for years, each week covering two to three areas all over Singapore. This is main party activity on top of other area committee walkabouts and house visit activities, which of course can't be as frequent for the simple reason of having less manpower and resources. Party members and volunteer helpers need to work and feed their families too. They simply can't be doing this on a daily basis, if that's what you mean or expect.

And, a final important point: unlike in the US, where there's a culture of volunteerism, and an understanding between employers and employees and students and university authorities, American students and workers can take time off to volunteer for the candidates' campaigns whom they like, we don't have that here.

Thus, there were many young college students and grads who took leave from their studies in the unis to help out in the Obama and- in smaller numbers- the McCain campaign. Employees also took time out- rotating among themselves- to help the campaigns, in all levels, from local to state to federal, and they didn't have to suffer job losses or a severe pay cut.

that's why so many Americans were able to campaign for Obama. And when it was the final two months, the Obama campaign was a mammoth one because both Obama and Clinton workers combined to help spread the Democratic word across the country. So the manpower resources of the Obama and Democratic operations were just massive.

People are asking a damn lot if they think our local opposition parties can do that out of nothing. Its not that they can't or do a sizable version here in the future; it just means if we want them to be better, then we have to go foward and ask them to volunteer- and not wait for them to approach you. And do remember its for the long haul- as we have a Parliamentary system, not a Presidential system. We cannot take over a government that has been there for 50 years by 2011.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
And that's where i kept on offering a parallel perspective.

If resources are scarce, conserve them - be actively co-operative with each other and help each other along the path.

If talented people emerged, encourage them because it takes a lot to stand up and be counted, knowing full well that the red spot is on you.

If cannot take on the ruling party as an alternative party by 2011, then take them on a checks-and-balances platform.

If you have been working very hard and due to the official media, no one is giving you the coverage, then create your own media or leverage on the existing media provided by yoursdp.org, provided there can be sympathy and agreement all round.

If you feel that you are already doing the absolute limit at this point, then synergize in order to up the ante.

There has to be a way, with current resources.

And success breeds success. Once people see your energy and your value, they will stand up and be counted too. That is a fact - look at TKL. From the apathetic singaporeans, he gotten 15,000 people opening petitioning for him.

There has to be a way. Only those in the line will know the exact formula. Please find it.

jw5

Loyal
It's the people who need to wake up, and you can start there.
How do you wake up the people?
I agree that the people need to wake up, but how do you wake up these apathetic, lottery buying, MRT rushing, credit card using, lot?

jw5

Loyal
I mean getting ready for the elections.
Do the WP know who will be standing in which constituency? (without taking into account the gerrymeandering)

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I mean getting ready for the elections.
Do the WP know who will be standing in which constituency? (without taking into account the gerrymeandering)

Of course, assuming not taking into account gerrymandering, some members resigning and new members joining, unforeseen circumstances etc. In any case, I'm confident that the WP is ready for an GE, today or any day.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course, assuming not taking into account gerrymandering, some members resigning and new members joining, unforeseen circumstances etc. In any case, I'm confident that the WP is ready for an GE, today or any day.

I hope this time they are not going to forget to bring any forms.....

samurai1110

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you wake up the people?
I agree that the people need to wake up, but how do you wake up these apathetic, lottery buying, MRT rushing, credit card using, lot?

By not having candidates the likes of 'Slipper Man'. Can't even manage own life and yet thinks he has the 'stuff' to lead others! When the ruling party has to deal with such clowns they win 'hands down' all the time.:(

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aren't we blessed? Otherwise we will be having 'fun' like the Thais are doing now!:wink:

That I agree.

Some conclude from here that the Opposition is therefore not needed.

Or the Opposition may lead us to the way the Thais are experiencing now.

I am not able to make that conclusion.

My belief is that with a good Opposition we will get a better PAP. In short, we will be more blessed.