• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Open letter from a "public transport operator" staff

Green Light

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.fivestarsandamoon.com/?p=967

The following is a letter from Richard Lim, 73:

I am an ordinary Singaporean, retired but still active. I used to work for a public transport operator who recently got into trouble. Or should I say, recently, keep getting in to trouble. But I am not going to talk about them, since I am retired. Instead, I am sharing my own observations of the general Singaporean opinions of the whole hullaballoo that has taken place.

Just about a year or so ago, the most commonly heard complaint on the street was that the government had let in too many foreign workers. If you listened carefully, the group heading the list was PRC workers. “They talk so loudly”, “They don’t know the concept of space”, “They are so rude” and so on were common refrains people used. Almost everyone I know or overheard at kopitiams said the same thing – “this garmen ah, anyhow lelong our citizenship/work permits”. Many of them felt that 5m people on tiny Singapura was too many, especially with 40% of them foreigners.

So the government started to clamp them down. Many Singaporeans, though at first skeptical, started to see that the government meant business. Slowly, SME bosses started to complain of not getting enough workers for production, service crew or in some case, washing dishes, even if he was willing to pay $3000! So we must be happy now, right?

According to the latest news I read online, apparently this is not so. Several opposition politicians, perhaps smelling an opportunity, have publicly and internationally chastised the government for arresting the PRC workers who called a strike at SMRT. Some of them, including a prominent Singaporean human rights activist, have gone on to ask the international community to collectively condemn Singapore. Why? Because every worker has the universal right to strike and Singapore allows that only after the striking workers gives advance notice.

So suddenly, we have now switched sides and think that the PRC workers are not the issue, and we should keep them in Singapore. All within a year, isn’t that amazing. No wonder they say governing is a tough business.

As someone who has lived my time, my advice to my younger Singaporeans is this: be careful about this business of anyhow hamtam-ing the government online. Just because you can let out your frustrations online without people knowing who you are, you should not recklessly use that right. What we have today is because people of my generation worked hard to take us to this level. We never questioned our ability to succeed. We never allowed foreigners and Singaporeans who do not respect Singapore to steal our agenda. We worked hard, and today we enjoy the fruits of our success. If we are not careful, all this will be lost within a short time.

I will be gone, but, will you? Think about it.

Timbuktu

Alfrescian
Loyal
blah blah blah....confusing the issues totally Richard Lim. Please live your old age graciously and stop being an empty vessel making so much noise.

No one says to keep the PRC workers. Where did you get this idea from? From your decaying brain cells or what are left of it?

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats right wise old man. You saw thru the stupidity n hypocrisy of those clowns. The warning is right, watch out.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
According to the latest news I read online, apparently this is not so. Several opposition politicians, perhaps smelling an opportunity, have publicly and internationally chastised the government for arresting the PRC workers who called a strike at SMRT. Some of them, including a prominent Singaporean human rights activist, have gone on to ask the international community to collectively condemn Singapore. Why? Because every worker has the universal right to strike and Singapore allows that only after the striking workers gives advance notice.

So suddenly, we have now switched sides and think that the PRC workers are not the issue, and we should keep them in Singapore. All within a year, isn’t that amazing. No wonder they say governing is a tough business.

I have heard this opinion being expressed before. Believe this view is pervasive among heartlanders because I heard it from one of the minority races as well.

Human rights? These clowns are as willful as the PAP. The reds are dead and buried. Good riddance.

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way that is a pro-PAP blog masquerading as 4 independent individuals blogging together in case you are wondering.

Last edited:

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
strike must give advance notice one har?

give advance notice, later they go and find replacements.

like that still call strike? :biggrin:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Richard Lim wants to write but does not be explicit in his statements. Who is the human rights activist he refers to? Is it CSJ from the SDP? If so, he represents mostly those who have personal axes to grind against the govt. That is hardly the mainstream opinion.