• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

old fart digs Goh CT one more time

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha...i am not talking about achievements.....
according to old fart, it costs the govt $300k or $400k for each OMS......
i am sure not many pple is aware that each OMS is worth so much.....
not many peasants can afford to spend that sort of money......
but I am sure ah Loong can afford to send his son without a scholarship...

Anybody who is offered the scholarship will know, because it is the price of breaking the bond. Even a local scholarship was worth about $50k even back in the mid-90s.

And he did pay. For his second son. However, if you're in the civil service before, you will know that a Mom+Pop scholarship with identical university achievements will lose out to the SAFOS or OMS.

jw5

Loyal
hahaha....old fart claims that 3 heavyweight ministars (TT, YNH, Dhana) wanted to leave the cabinet soon after GCT took over because they were not used to GCT' style........
old fart claimed that he talked to them and persuaded them to stay on for a while to help Goh CT.
He added that had the ministars left at that time, GCT will have a big headache.
In short...old fart is claiming credits for staying in the cabinet....
Wasn't there talk of some sort of slapping incident, or do we all have amnesia as well? :rolleyes: :biggrin:

After this latest relevation, it would be interesting to see how or whether GCT responds. Best guess is that he won't.
Some would have thought that after calling him wooden, how he persuaded ministars to stay, saying that he wasn't first choice (in fact didn't he say fourth?) etc etc, he might be bitter and turn against oldman.
But instead the reverse happened, and he became even more loyal and eager to prove that he was "worthy".

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wasn't there talk of some sort of slapping incident, or do we all have amnesia as well? :rolleyes: :biggrin:

hahaha... i take it as another urban legend but nobody has come forward to categorically state that it indeed happened.
I really don't know.
I have my doubts and my feel is that this did not actually happened.

Just to touch on another urban legend....
old fart was rumoured to have consulted some high monk (hong chuang?)and was advised to find a way to let all sinkies carry hexagonal shaped items with them. hence the hexagonal shaped $1 coin was borned.....
old fart has now categorically denied that this was the case and he never believed in feng sui..

Last edited:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Both Deer Leeder and Danny have categorically denied that it ever happened.

hahaha... i take it as another urban legend but nobody has come forward to categorically state that it indeed happened.
I really don't know.
I have my doubts and my feel is that this did not actually happened.

Just to touch on another urban legend....
old fart was rumoured to have consulted some high monk (hong chuang?)and was advised to find a way to let all sinkies carry hexagonal shaped items with them. hence the hexagonal shaped $1 coin was borned.....
old fart has now categorically denied that this was the case and he never believed in feng sui..

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
After this latest relevation, it would be interesting to see how or whether GCT responds. Best guess is that he won't.

hahaha...the responese of GCT is to confirm today that he will be standing for election in Marine Parade again....

jw5

Loyal
Let's not forget who said the following:
-- "More good years" For whom?
-- "Swiss standard of living" For whom?
-- "The financial institutions should try and compensate all investors, not only the vulnerable investors". Really? Indeed? Did they?
-- "Insurance premiums should be made affordable". Really? Indeed? How?
-- "Singaporeans should be more gracious". Really? Had close daily contact with the new citizens from China and India lately?

Let's also not forget who claims that he and his team were the ones who selected LHL as the PM, thereby allowing LKY to use this as the basis of his argument to the first world countries.
In addition, being the most senior adviser (at least in appointment) to the PM, wouldn't he be the person who has (or should have) the most influence in his policies, including copious inflow of foreigners?

jw5

Loyal
At least wooden doesn't wear pink in public, cross his legs like a girl, and has a wife that looks like a cart horse.
Errrr, for your last point, let's just say "one of six or half a dozen of the other". :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Note that he never ever made a single negative comment about his son on any matter. That son of his is elusive and has never surfaced during past serious incidents until the dust settled. The daughter in law has more mistakes than a blind bat and not a single negative comment.
The biggest problem is that he really believes that they are the best people for their jobs, and there has never been anyone around him who had the guts to tell him otherwise.
In fact, there were people who categorically claimed to the world that they were the ones who were responsible for appointing them and that oldman had nothing to do with the decision.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both Deer Leeder and Danny have categorically denied that it ever happened.

hahaha...yes GCT mentioned at one of the National Day Rally.....but then in the same breath, he talked about amnesia....that's why the rumour refused to die off.........

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
OMS without the President's Scholar tag is common. For guys, only SAFOS and SPFOS or OMS+PS can be considered achievements.

sorry bro.....i have to correct you as you appeared to be confused here......

President scholars - totally different class
Next category - SAFOS, SPFOS and OMS are same category.
SAFOS - meant to serve in SAF
SPFOS - meant to serve in SPF
OMS (Ministry) - meant to serve in relevant Ministry
OMS (Open) - Civil service wide.

Career progression for the Uniformed Service/Ministry/Open OMS holders are designed to be more or less equal.......
Senior uniformed officers after retirement - can be deployed to Ministry as Directors (e.g. RADM Simon Ong to SLA)
Service Chiefs deployed as DS (e.g. RADM Richard Lim)
CDF deployed as PS (e.g. LG Lim Chuan Poh)

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just to give you an insight into the basic instinct of old fart.....

Lee Hongyi has taken govt scholarship at MIT.
His younger brother, Haoyi, doesn't want a scholarship.
I quote the old fart:
"If I were the father, I'd say, no, you better take that scholarship and come back. Why should I spend $300,000 or $400,000for nothing ?" Unquote.
In short, old fart simply wants to milk the system to his "personal" benefits nvm that the original intent of scholarships should be for those less previledge students.
He has no quaint to deprive them of such a place for personal benefits.

I thought the important things are the ones I now put in red. Did I read wrongly or is this statement say that education oversea at MIT all are useless and not worth the money?

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought the important things are the ones I now put in red. Did I read wrongly or is this statement say that education oversea at MIT all are useless and not worth the money?

hahaha...read carefully....what old fart is saying is that their family could have saved the money if haoyi took a scholarship.....that means using tax payer's money instead of their own money.....

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In lucky draws and contests for money or equivalent, it's usually stated that staff and family members of the companies or organisations are not eligible to participate. In Singapore government scholarships, most are won by politicians and senior civil servants children. Why are they coveting for what they could well afford to deprive those who couldn't afford a decent chance? I thought LKY has in place the policy that they're paid more than well enough to afford their education or whatever they want?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. President scholar is a totally different class. They follow a completely different route. No need OMS or any other scholarship.

All other scholarship including non scholars once classified as Admin Grade or equivalent have the same identical path except for salary scale where overseas trained enjoy a higher salary.

Viv B was not bonded. Tan Tee How was not a scholarship holder and he rose as the same rate as scholars after joining the admin service as a fresh chiku from NUS with a 2:1.

Much of the confusion is due SAF scholars who were led to belief that they were top of the hierarchy when the 2 sons were in SAF.

Sometime in early 1980, the decision was made to offer as many scholarships as possible. It would have looked ridiculous for PSC offer so many scholarship, so all GLC were ordered to institute their own scholarships. The reason was loss of quality people thru emigration. Now these guys and gals are stuck. Many of them can't even string a sentence or articulate a minor point. They took the sciences to avoid articulation. There are so many of them that order was reversed in late 90s and early retirement was introduced to clear the swelling ranks.

Interestingly it stemmed the tide of emigrants. The lucrative salary did stop them while cooks, technicians and the better educated without the shackles of scholarship and high salaries made the move to green pastures.

In the 90s, the first few cases of bond jumping began as new generation were no longer blinkered. Rich took scholarship but paid it out upon graduates and internship for the name and prestige. We are now back to square one.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal

Next category - SAFOS, SPFOS and OMS are same category.

Again, it's not bro.

And have you really worked in civil service? Or are you lifting it off the PSC website.

Track the careers of the SAFOS and SPFOS compared to the OMS and see if what you say really holds true. Check the hit rate of SAFOS making BG and SPFOS making AC as compared to hit rate of OMS making it to DS (as compared to dropping out of civil service or transferring to non-admin service). Only the OMS+PS has the same hit rate as same as SAFOS/SPFOS, and PS seems to make very little difference to SAFOS/SPFOS (unless you consider political advancement).

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In lucky draws and contests for money or equivalent, it's usually stated that staff and family members of the companies or organisations are not eligible to participate. In Singapore government scholarships, most are won by politicians and senior civil servants children. Why are they coveting for what they could well afford to deprive those who couldn't afford a decent chance? I thought LKY has in place the policy that they're paid more than well enough to afford their education or whatever they want?

That's because the purpose of PSC scholarships is not to help bright but financially needy students get ahead in life. It is to cultivate an elite class and technocrats to serve the needs of our bloated government. It is never about the money. It's about base building and co-opting from a young age those them look promising - and not necessarily those with the best grades.