• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

No Basis for S'pore Opposition Parties to Mimic M'sian Opposition Coalition

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not speak for anybody except myself.

Glad to hear that.

I'd be equally glad if you'll channel your "nerve and energy" constructively into helping SDP winning elections, like door knocking, gather feedback from the areas that it is targeting.

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
..........Someday, when I have the nerve and the energy, I will write a post about why, in MY personal opinion, LTK has intentionally, or unintentionally, caused the division in the opposition supporters. I have NEVER been anti-WP until that incident when he made a public announcement about "opposition disunity" at the Punggol East By-election Rally. In my language, he did a totally insensitive and inelegant thing. But I will share those thoughts on another day, and another time, if I choose to do it at all. For now, I just want to say I have always enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks :smile:

As metalmickey had pointed out in his psot.148, see Ah Low's rally speech on "Oppo Unity" in the light of CSJ/SDP going public those emails, joint candidate, etc.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is of course nothing to stop SDP linking up with either NSP or SDA, or even both, if it wanted to.
The question is whether SDP wants to and, equally, whether the other parties want to link up with SDP.

If the SDP are so gungho about "unity" then they should throw light on this instead of constantly harping about the WP, because clearly WP wants to have nothing to do with SDP.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is of course nothing to stop SDP linking up with either NSP or SDA, or even both, if it wanted to.
The question is whether SDP wants to and, equally, whether the other parties want to link up with SDP.

If the SDP are so gungho about "unity" then they should throw light on this instead of constantly harping about the WP, because clearly WP wants to have nothing to do with SDP.

My question is still the same:

Unity but under who's vision, direction and leadership?

SDP wants to lead and has always refuse to follow. The other parties are aware thatworking with SDP's MO, they would get nowhere either and SDP would not follow others. so where can there be any form of unity if no one gives way?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unity, alliances, tactical partnerships, coalitions etc have always been part and parcel of politics. We see this all over the world and Malaysia has always been ruled by a coalition all these years.

The fundamental basis of coming together is that all parties to the arrangement must be able to bring something to the table. It is no different to attending a private poker session where all participants are expected to bring their own money to gamble.

SDP has very little to bring to the table. They started to raise the unity flag when they were shafted during the opposition horse trading talks prior to GE2006. They made a mess of it when they sent a non-party member showing disrespect to the other parties. In addition, they were performing very badly in previous poll and had taken on an agenda of confronting the authorities, refusing to pay fines and playing the martyr. It was not well received by the public.

Surely all these have nothing to do with WP. Until SDP and its members accept that they erred, they are not going to go forward.

At Punggol BE, SDP days before the nomination clearly grabbed the local media and the online attention. They actually had it for days. Then they released the contents of their correspondence to the public. Near the end LTK responded. This is another case where SDP has no idea the consequences of their actions. You reap what you sow.

There is little or no intrigue behind the scenes. It was played in full glare of the Singapore public. Suggesting otherwise is an insult to the intelligence of ordinary citizens who watched the events unfold.

If Jufrie did not release the letters, I am sure LTK would not have responded. Its no different to getting stabbed with your own knife and you are the only one that brought a weapon.

Someday, when I have the nerve and the energy, I will write a post about why, in MY personal opinion, LTK has intentionally, or unintentionally, caused the division in the opposition supporters. I have NEVER been anti-WP until that incident when he made a public announcement about "opposition disunity" at the Punggol East By-election Rally. In my language, he did a totally insensitive and inelegant thing. But I will share those thoughts on another day, and another time, if I choose to do it at all. For now, I just want to say I have always enjoyed reading your posts. Thanks :smile:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
My question is still the same:

Unity but under who's vision, direction and leadership?

SDP wants to lead and has always refuse to follow. The other parties are aware thatworking with SDP's MO, they would get nowhere either and SDP would not follow others. so where can there be any form of unity if no one gives way?

That remains the issue for those who are hankering after unity but refuse to address the issue. Only SDP and an ex-SDP candidate, TJS, have spoken about opposition unity. Yet, we all noticed that no one rushed to support their idea. Perhaps if they said -- and gave a written guarantee -- that they would be prepared and happy to serve under someone else's leadership would there be a bit more traction to the idea.

At the last GE, among 6 opposition parties SDP was 4th in terms of %age votes polled. (It was only ahead of RP and SDA.) Clearly, SDP cannot assume to an equal of the top 3 parties, let alone the leader.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How can there be opposition unity when

(A) everyone wants to be the leader

(B) no one can agree on a common direction opposition politics should take

(C) some parties have very little to bring to the table and strength distribution is highly uneven

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The term "opposition unity" is a red herring for those who can't get their act together. It is an excuse. Its a denial of pass deeds and refusal to admit that they are struggling. It is also a lesson to those living in glass houses casting stones.

Chiam and LTK are from separate parties but did not think to form a union as their styles and approaches are different and they respectfully did their own thing but came together where it met common goals. As Chiam had a longer history of running a town council, assistance was given. But in the main, they are 2 different distinct groups.

It does not make sense for WP after putting all the hardwork, getting their strategy and tactics right to start doing charity for the weaker ones and compromise their own position.

This is politics, not potluck hosted by some socialite to talk about saving the sea otters from Sungei Buloh.

The other opposition parties and WP will have to meet for horse trading prior to GE / BE Nomination day. The GE nomination is most important as there is scope for cooperation. KJ was truly and justifiably shafted at the 2011 GE Horse trading session for his arrogance, condescending manner and his internal party squabbles. He wrongly assumed that he was an equal despite having no track record. Those around the table correctly guessed that he would not perform well and they were right. As a collective they have a responsibility to ensure that they maximise the collective opportunity for those who are not keen on the PAP. Is this not the unity that one seeks. Is this not being practical when unity is called for.

Last edited:

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP has very little to bring to the table. They started to raise the unity flag when they were shafted during the opposition horse trading talks prior to GE2006.

So far from observation, I have only seen SDP and their supporters calling for unity on 2 grounds:

1. when they want something and is unable to get it, they will use the notion of unity to "pressure" others into giving to them

2. when they are losing or in trouble and wanted help from others, they would insist that others have "unity" with them, either to help them solve thr problem, or if the problem cant be solved, dragged others down with them.

in recent history, there is only one example of political parties united and that is when SDA was formed. But that was because Chiam was recognised as the best person to bring others forward. Unfortunatly, the rest is history.

Other then that, the other form of unity is when parties merged. A example mwould be when Barisan Sosalise merged with WP. A peaceful transition never the less.

Honestly, we can debate unity all we want but at the end of the day, for those who claim support for SDP and claim unhappiness against WP, ask yourself this: seriously?????

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDA is a political construct to bridge the Malay / Chinese divide for contesting GRCs. It was an act of unity and compromise as it gave PKMS an equal footing in the eyes of the Malay community that did not share Mendaki/AMP views and their allegiance and contract with the PAP. Mainstream opposition parties do not have gravitas when it comes to Malays. Even WP has issues post 2011 with the minority candidates. And Chiam acted on it. To avoid the usual intrigue associated with alliances he asked and got the veto power. But an act of unity nevertheless.

Credit to GMS for recognising this and starting the Malay Bureau.

in recent history, there is only one example of political parties united and that is when SDA was formed. But that was because Chiam was recognised as the best person to bring others forward. Unfortunatly, the rest is history.

Other then that, the other form of unity is when parties merged. A example mwould be when Barisan Sosalise merged with WP. A peaceful transition never the less.

Honestly, we can debate unity all we want but at the end of the day, for those who claim support for SDP and claim unhappiness against WP, ask yourself this: seriously?????

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
So far from observation, I have only seen SDP and their supporters calling for unity on 2 grounds:

1. when they want something and is unable to get it, they will use the notion of unity to "pressure" others into giving to them

2. when they are losing or in trouble and wanted help from others, they would insist that others have "unity" with them, either to help them solve thr problem, or if the problem cant be solved, dragged others down with them.

You have summarized the issue very well. That is why I said earlier that when SDP had some strength just before the 1997 GE, Chee showed no interest at all in opposition unity.

Now, however, when SDP is so weak he calls for unity and tries to package it as a virtue.

His supporters are in denial.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The fundamental basis of coming together is that all parties to the arrangement must be able to bring something to the table. It is no different to attending a private poker session where all participants are expected to bring their own money to gamble.

Like how PAS will bring in the best Malay support within the opposition, DAP the best Chinese support and PKR having many former BN strongmen like Anwar, Chua Jui Meng, Tan Kee Kwong and Zaid Ibrahim (who since resigned). SNAP was the only Borneo party but later pulled out. The others have nothing much to offer.

People understand SDP cannot walk into a shop asking for money to carry goods away and calls it a "purchase".

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sylvia will be speaking to members of the Oxbridge Society this coming Thursday. It would be interesting if a few Oxbridge Society members expressed an interest in wanting to join WP. A great opportunity for WP to compete directly with PAP for the crème de la crème of top brains.

A combination of well-qualified members and those with the common touch (like LLL) would place the WP on a strong footing for the next GE.

Attachments

• Doc (1).jpg
    Doc (1).jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 208

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like how PAS will bring in the best Malay support within the opposition, DAP the best Chinese support and PKR having many former BN strongmen like Anwar, Chua Jui Meng, Tan Kee Kwong and Zaid Ibrahim (who since resigned). SNAP was the only Borneo party but later pulled out. The others have nothing much to offer.

People understand SDP cannot walk into a shop asking for money to carry goods away and calls it a "purchase".

Very much agreed.

so unless some people really do not understand such logic, they will continue to cry father cry mother in the name of democracy and opposition unity and unfair playing field among opposition parties and what not

so where do we go from here?

strongly suggest that some fools should be just ignored or else the whole big picture will be nothing but waste paper.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the anti-PWP protest, TJS shows he is still living in fantasy land by calling for an anti-PAP coalition. He is just using the anti-PWP protests to give himself a profile and further his own political ambitions. From Yahoo:

In his speech, Tan Jee Say, who lost in the four-way presidential race in 2011 with the third-highest share of vote, had harsh words for the ruling People's Action Party, and urged opposition parties to aim for a coalition government.

The population white paper, he said, was a way for the PAP to tighten its grip on Singaporeans with the help of new citizens.
"If PAP has the interests of Singaporeans at heart, they will do what other cities do in tackling the issues of an ageing population and low fertility rate," he said.

He clarified that he was not against foreigners in Singapore but rather the government policy of continually importing foreign workers.
"We can understand why new citizens are grateful to the government but gratitude is not servitude. Do not vote PAP just out of gratitude because gratitude is about the past, not the future," he said.

Regarding the political landscape, Tan noted that the opposition was more ready than the PAP was back in 1959.

Singapore's most popular opposition party, the Workers' Party, earlier this year cautioned against reading too much into its candidate's decisive win in the Punggol East by-election and that it was not ready to form the next government.

"In 1959, the PAP only had one PhD, the late Dr Toh Chin Cye. We in the opposition today have seven PhDs, of whom three are associate professors. We have several doctors, lawyers, ex-bankers, corporate executives – together, there are at least 25 to 30 of us with a wide range of expertise to run an effective, competent and caring government," Tan pointed out.

"Can we work together from different parties to form a coalition government? Yes, we can. Today, life goes on in 75 countries that are governed by pro-coalition governments," he said.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/around-2-000-turn-up-at-may-day-protest-at-hong-lim-park-085513158.html

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
At the anti-PWP protest, TJS shows he is still living in fantasy land by calling for an anti-PAP coalition. He is just using the anti-PWP protests to give himself a profile and further his own political ambitions. From Yahoo:

Tan jee say used the may 1 demonstration to further his own personal political agenda. Truly shameless and classless.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
The prob with TJS is his well deserved reputation that he is someone who cannot be trusted. His plans to form a new party have fallen flat. He was the hand behind the recent developments at NSP. There is a saying that if you are having dinner with the Devil, you better have a very long spoon. If Sebestian is foolish enough to let TJS in, he better have a longer spoon than if he is eating with Old Nick.

Tan jee say used the may 1 demonstration to further his own personal political agenda. Truly shameless and classless.

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

The prob with TJS is his well deserved reputation that he is someone who cannot be trusted. His plans to form a new party have fallen flat. He was the hand behind the recent developments at NSP. There is a saying that if you are having dinner with the Devil, you better have a very long spoon. If Sebestian is foolish enough to let TJS in, he better have a longer spoon than if he is eating with Old Nick.

He also seems to fancy himself as a potential PM perhaps?

So, is it the case that NSP is the only party left that will have dealings with him? He can try his chances with NSP, but I suspect that most people have already seem right through him.

He can keep on calling, in shrill tones, for an anti-PAP coalition in the hope of getting a positive response from WP, but all he will get is deafening silence from WP.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He also seems to fancy himself as a potential PM perhaps?

So, is it the case that NSP is the only party left that will have dealings with him? He can try his chances with NSP, but I suspect that most people have already seem right through him.

He can keep on calling, in shrill tones, for an anti-PAP coalition in the hope of getting a positive response from WP, but all he will get is deafening silence from WP.

He may be able to work something out with NSP. I suspect for NSP's case it will be he who will have to lower his expectations of what platform NSP can give him, rather than NSP trying to accommodate him.