• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newsweek: LHL is a master of risk management

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
By Isaac Stone Fish
The steward of the fastest-growing economy in the world, Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is a master at risk management. In the lead-up to the global financial crisis, Singapore's institutions mostly avoided troubled assets, saving the country the banking shock that hit other nations. Global credit insurers such as France's Coface now rate Singapore as the safest place to do business in Asia. In foreign policy, Lee's managed to carve out a role as friend to all the big powers in the region. China wants to emulate Singapore's feat of liberalizing the economy while maintaining one-party rule. And Lee's close political and economic relationship with Beijing has given him the room to do things that might otherwise rankle China. This April, he pushed Beijing to allow the yuan to strengthen. He also just announced free-trade talks with Taiwan. If Singapore can manage to reduce tensions with its immediate neighbors, Malaysia and Indonesia, expect a decade or more of smooth sailing for the country under the indomitable Lee.

:eek::eek:

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/16/go-to-the-head-of-the-class/the-middle-man-lee-hsien-loong.html

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
'stone fish' smoked too much grass...next he will sy his wifey, sHE is master in investment....I better go sing that 'upturn the downturn song'...:p

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
By Isaac Stone Fish
The steward of the fastest-growing economy in the world, Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is a master at risk management. In the lead-up to the global financial crisis, Singapore's institutions mostly avoided troubled assets, saving the country the banking shock that hit other nations. Global credit insurers such as France's Coface now rate Singapore as the safest place to do business in Asia. In foreign policy, Lee's managed to carve out a role as friend to all the big powers in the region. China wants to emulate Singapore's feat of liberalizing the economy while maintaining one-party rule. And Lee's close political and economic relationship with Beijing has given him the room to do things that might otherwise rankle China. This April, he pushed Beijing to allow the yuan to strengthen. He also just announced free-trade talks with Taiwan. If Singapore can manage to reduce tensions with its immediate neighbors, Malaysia and Indonesia, expect a decade or more of smooth sailing for the country under the indomitable Lee.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/16/go-to-the-head-of-the-class/the-middle-man-lee-hsien-loong.html

I was LOL when I read this article. Stone fish is really stoned. His editor needs to examine his head. Firstly, Gay Loong is not the steward, he never was. His father is still in charge. I don't see how he can say S'pore's instituitions avoided troubled assets when GIC and Temasek were fully into troubled assets. To Beijing, S'pore is nothing, and is not the close and valued friend that he portrays. What a moron.

loudhailer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why does Newsweek write an article like that? It should consult me first, then I can give them all my ad hominiem criticisms about LHL that it should write. I am the politician most popular in the free world, doesn't Newsweek know?

By Isaac Stone Fish

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was LOL when I read this article. Stone fish is really stoned. His editor needs to examine his head. Firstly, Gay Loong is not the steward, he never was. His father is still in charge. I don't see how he can say S'pore's instituitions avoided troubled assets when GIC and Temasek were fully into troubled assets. To Beijing, S'pore is nothing, and is not the close and valued friend that he portrays. What a moron.

Newsweek is a Right-ish magazine

They are of course sympathetic of LHL

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does the name 'Stone Fish' drop any hit of the article being a satirical ?

If not, the author is truly trying to gain some brownie points for writing an article that eveyone knows is not based on facts.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Newsweek deliberately killing two birds with one STONE. To act supportive of LHL and wrote with huge pinch of salt. Newsweek wanted reader to read between the line withut offending PAP.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Foreign correspondents are no idiots they really know the real situation is in Spore. Even brain washed Sporeans have their doubts i.e. the high emigration rates.

This place is run by methuselah & his family :smile: You have to humour the old & senile or face his wrath of the old one :rolleyes:

S

suicidalpap

Indeed LHL is a master at risk management. Ho Ching is a choice he could not resist. Hence the $58 billion loss.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Meaning LHL always engage a front-side bus consultant
and throngs of them in front to take the rap !

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
if LHL is really master in risk management, then then 1st 2 things he should do is fire Wong Kan Seng & Yacob Ibrahim (sp?) and distance himself from these 2 major cockups in the last 2 years. This will save him some votes.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
if LHL is really master in risk management, then then 1st 2 things he should do is fire Wong Kan Seng & Yacob Ibrahim (sp?) and distance himself from these 2 major cockups in the last 2 years. This will save him some votes.

No they are needed to take more damage since worst is yet to come !