• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Newbies in Moderation

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any ah mow and ah kow is a better Mod than the cb kia Windsor, most hypocrite samster in this forum. Pui!!!!

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
I think we should just let Leongsam handle and settle it. Nobody here has that kind and depth of experience. Now, don't go accusing me of being Paul Lampard, I'm just speaking my mind. In fact Leongsam had infracted me before. A good reason was given and I accepted it.

.[/QUOTE

this Paul Lampard guy used to be active on the sex forum ya?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think we should just let Leongsam handle and settle it. Nobody here has that kind and depth of experience. Now, don't go accusing me of being Paul Lampard, I'm just speaking my mind. In fact Leongsam had infracted me before. A good reason was given and I accepted it.

.[/QUOTE

this Paul Lampard guy used to be active on the sex forum ya?

I don't think you get what ram means. In hwz they also use this paul lampard term. Its meaning is actually derived from a hokkien term. Can you guess what it is? It doesn't refer to a person in particular but it's actually an adjective. This should be enough clues.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ya i know what it means.....it means to carry balls.

With regards to my question ......there used to be a guy in the sex forum circa 2005 who used this nic. He was quite a pain and was always getting zapped. Thot mebbe Ram or any bros would remember this if they had been around there at that time.

I was on this part of the forum then for about a year. My nic was HUGH JOHN then.

I don't think you get what ram means. In hwz they also use this paul lampard term. Its meaning is actually derived from a hokkien term. Can you guess what it is? It doesn't refer to a person in particular but it's actually an adjective. This should be enough clues.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oic apologies then.

With regards to my question ......there used to be a guy in the sex forum circa 2005 who used this nic. He was quite a pain and was always getting zapped. Thot mebbe Ram or any bros would remember this if they had been around there at that time.

I was on this part of the forum then for about a year. My nic was HUGH JOHN then.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
its ok Jah ...i didnt take any offence. I had tried to quote Ram but didnt want to quote verbatim

Somehow i screwed it up as usual so i think it wasnt posted in its entirety.

oic apologies then.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Allowing too much moderating and infracting powers may be counterproductive. There's the longstanding weakness of longstanding forummers getting personal and abusing powers exactly because they're longstanding and it's not possible to have all friends here, there'd be a camp of enemies too.

Leongsam is longstanding forum host, haughty but neutral to all. Spammers and trollers refrain crossing swords too much with the hosting authority, except a few barks now and then for a show of bravado and back off. Therefore, Leongsam is still the one who could and should do the job.

Don't worry about it guys. Jah's right. I was using the term in mock Hokkien to mean carry balls. I wasn't aware that someone had actually used it as monicker.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
its ok Jah ...i didnt take any offence. I had tried to quote Ram but didnt want to quote verbatim

oic apologies then.

ok, another thing to make sure you have quoted someone properly you should have opening [.quote] and [/.quote] pls remove the dot i put there and once that's done you have quoted the poster correctly.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Discussions regarding how a forum should be managed are no different from those surrounding how a coach should select his team or how a referee should have handled an incident.

Everybody has an opinion. Everybody thinks they could do better if they were in charge. :p

I've heard it all before... get more mods.. allow this.. concentrate on that.. disallow this.. ban that.. ignore that..

I've been doing this shit job for 14 years. I've pretty much fine tuned my methods so that the forum is running the way I feel it should. Am I wrong sometimes? Of course I am. I make changes when I realise something isn't working and fine tune things if I think they could work but are not quite ending up the way I want.

At the end of the day, this forum is still one of the longest surviving sites on the net. I've outlasted soc.culture.singapore, sintercom, temasekreview, countless sammyboy.com duplicates etc so I can't be that incompetent. :biggrin:

The death of this forum has been predicted hundreds of times over but the traffic is still respectable considering the competition that's out there today.

When I started, there were no personal blogs, no facebook, no political sites where people could post their views. Yet, despite the fact that there are now probably hundreds of blogs, political party websites, sph forums etc where people could add their two cents worth of opinion but yet a sizeable number still choose sammyboy.

I too am amazed that this is the case.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Discussions regarding how a forum should be managed are no different from those surrounding how a coach should select his team or how a referee should have handled an incident.

Everybody has an opinion. Everybody thinks they could do better if they were in charge. :p

I'm surprised you actually answered screwball's queries. If you asked every single one of us we would have our own opinions on how to manage the new nicks and more or less our answers might be similar to screw's. After all what's so difficult to handle new nicks. Give them a moderation period and check on their posts. This isn't rocket science. Screw obviously started this thread to show case his imperial wiseness but it just comes across as a typical forummer overstepping the boundaries pretending to act like the owner.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well aware of it. Sibeiking and I are suggested that you, other mods and those with high points are given the power to clear the cases under moderation rather than depend on just Sam.It's simple - you guys can cover 3 separate time zones rather than 1 time zone and 1 person.
Have to clarify this. Speaking for myself, I do not have mod powers except in the Mod Folder. So this point is moot.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I've heard it all before... get more mods.. allow this.. concentrate on that.. disallow this.. ban that.. ignore that..

I've been doing this shit job for 14 years. I've pretty much fine tuned my methods so that the forum is running the way I feel it should. Am I wrong sometimes? Of course I am. I make changes when I realise something isn't working and fine tune things if I think they could work but are not quite ending up the way I want.

At the end of the day, this forum is still one of the longest surviving sites on the net. I've outlasted soc.culture.singapore, sintercom, temasekreview, countless sammyboy.com duplicates etc so I can't be that incompetent. :biggrin:

The death of this forum has been predicted hundreds of times over but the traffic is still respectable considering the competition that's out there today.

When I started, there were no personal blogs, no facebook, no political sites where people could post their views. Yet, despite the fact that there are now probably hundreds of blogs, political party websites, sph forums etc where people could add their two cents worth of opinion but yet a sizeable number still choose sammyboy.

I too am amazed that this is the case.

OMG sam how in the blue hell did you manage to edit your post by adding in all of that and your posts doesn't show that you even edited it? So the admin has this privilege. Hell i think you can edit our posts if you want to.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I'm surprised you actually answered screwball's queries. If you asked every single one of us we would have our own opinions on how to manage the new nicks and more or less our answers might be similar to screw's. After all what's so difficult to handle new nicks. Give them a moderation period and check on their posts. This isn't rocket science. Screw obviously started this thread to show case his imperial wiseness but it just comes across as a typical forummer overstepping the boundaries pretending to act like the owner.

I had a bit of time and the thread gave me an opportunity to explain how this moderation thing works.

Many newbies email me regarding their moderation status with the impression that they were placed under moderation because they did something wrong, that I'm censoring them, that I have taken a dislike to them, that I'm anti PAP, pro PAP.

I can assure everyone that nothing could be further from the truth. The moderation of new accounts is simply a counter measure against spam bots that specifically target vbulletin forums. The are written to overcome many of the built in defenses that vbulletin has and are a plague of most forums.

I don't read the posts in the moderation queue. I scan for spam, delete it and pass the rest without a second glance. I sometimes miss the spam so a bit gets through.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ah ok . tnks jah.

ok, another thing to make sure you have quoted someone properly you should have opening [.quote] and [/.quote] pls remove the dot i put there and once that's done you have quoted the poster correctly.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
OMG sam how in the blue hell did you manage to edit your post by adding in all of that and your posts doesn't show that you even edited it? So the admin has this privilege. Hell i think you can edit our posts if you want to.

I write.. i post... i write a bit more.. i post..

Admin has it's privileges. I have 15 minute window before the "edit" sign appears but I can adjust the time frame in the control panel.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I had a bit of time and the thread gave me an opportunity to explain how this moderation thing works.

Many newbies email me regarding their moderation status with the impression that they were placed under moderation because they did something wrong, that I'm censoring them, that I have taken a dislike to them, that I'm anti PAP, pro PAP.

I can assure everyone that nothing could be further from the truth. The moderation of new accounts is simply a counter measure against spam bots that specifically target vbulletin forums. The are written to overcome many of the built in defenses that vbulletin has and are a plague of most forums.

I don't read the posts on the moderation queue. I scan for spam, delete it and pass the rest without a second glance. I sometimes miss the spam so a bit gets through.

Finally this has been answered. New nicks are put on moderation to prevent from advertising just as sam has shown earlier and of course spamming. If you are a new nick and aren't in the above 2 cats then obviously you'll be unmoderated over a period of time. This is the same case in the sex forum. So you jolly well wait the fuck till your moderated status is lifted and it's all fine and dandy. I wonder what screwball was ranting about earlier. OK so some new nick perhaps has some super important thing to share with everyone that will benefit everyone and somehow expects to skip the moderation queue? Is that what screw was implying. From the looks of things screw is trying to get more of his clones unmoderated instead.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I write.. i post... i write a bit more.. i post..

Admin has it's privileges. I have 15 minute window before the "edit" sign appears but I can adjust the time frame in the control panel.

Ic but ordinary member or maybe all other members don;t have that.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Awww.... almost 3 hours thread, no reply at all, hahahahaha. Let me suppork your thread so you can add me points ok? You owe me 1 leh Screwball, I'm begging for it :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Who cares, all are here for fun.... :smile::smile::smile:.

Mod are..
Dumb
Retard
Arrogant
Machismo
Asshole

KING......:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
So you jolly well wait the fuck till your moderated status is lifted and it's all fine and dandy.

The problem is that people post ONE message and find that they are in moderation so they stop posting hoping that the mod will be lifted the next time they come back a few days later.

They then post one more message 2 weeks later and find they are STILL under moderation so they say this forum is shit as moderation lasts forever for them where they see other people posting in real time without any problems.

With only 2 posts, moderation won't be lifted no matter how long you wait.

On the other hand, if they posted 100 messages in 24 hours, it wouldn't be lifted either. The script treats excessive posts as spam and keeps moderation in place.

There is no foolproof way of programming a script to behave like a human decision maker. It is programmed to recognise normal human posting patterns and respond accordingly. Humans who fall outside of these norms get caught in the net inadvertently.